Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

My mom convinced me that words like "stupid" and "shut up" were swear words. It took me until like 10 to start using them, and like 15 before I got the courage to say "gently caress" or "poo poo"

I will never forget the time I called my younger brother a "fool" and my great-aunt turned around from the front seat and told me without an ounce of humor in her voice that I was, quote, "in danger of Hell's fire".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pastry of the Year posted:

I will never forget the time I called my younger brother a "fool" and my great-aunt turned around from the front seat and told me without an ounce of humor in her voice that I was, quote, "in danger of Hell's fire".

Even 40 years later, the lesson my mom taught me was when she broke down in tears after hearing me yell at some kid I didn't even know, calling him a 'retard'. She yelled at me asking me to imagine how alone that must make that kid feel and how did I think his mom felt knowing her kid was being bullied like that. It was perhaps the most impactful lesson in empathy I've ever had.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

If she didn’t say H E double hockey sticks instead of Hell then she’s the one who got the Evil Ones attention.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I've gotten that too, there's an oddly literal interpretation for a lot of folks about a Bible verse that mentions the sin of calling someone foolish. Instead of taking it in the context of treating others respectfully, many people think that using the specific word 'fool' for someone is a damnable offense.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Because of a health issue, my dad was extremely thin, and got cold really easily. Our car was an old body-by-Fisher 2-door Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme with no A/C.

I'd get real hot and carsick in the backseat and ask him to roll the windows down. All he would use is the vent. I hated that vent. He would tell us that rolling down the windows would make the car hotter.

To this day I annoy my own family by rolling down my window any chance I get and run the A/C until everyone else is cold, but the very smell of stale or vented car air makes me feel ill. Same with the smell of sun-heated vinyl seating.

Tharadalf
Mar 14, 2010
When I was about 4, I remember asking my dad what my testicles are for. He didn't want to go into details at the moment, so he just told me, they would give me "special powers" when I grow up. I spent the next couple days wondering whether my power would be invisibility, flying or x-ray vision.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Tharadalf posted:

When I was about 4, I remember asking my dad what my testicles are for. He didn't want to go into details at the moment, so he just told me, they would give me "special powers" when I grow up. I spent the next couple days wondering whether my power would be invisibility, flying or x-ray vision.

Well the X-ray vision is kinda true because I was imagining everyone naked when I hit puberty.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Really? I've always suspected mine drove me insane, made a complete mess of my mind I tell ya. It's all dirty in there now

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

My dad told us the classic “uphill to and from school in four feet of snow.”
But it was okay, you see, because his family was so poor that they couldn’t afford gravity.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Reminds me of the comedian talking about how he asked his father for a pair of Puma PUMA shoes and his father's response was "son, when I was young we couldn't even afford feet."

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

The Mighty Moltres posted:

My dad told us the classic “uphill to and from school in four feet of snow.”
But it was okay, you see, because his family was so poor that they couldn’t afford gravity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKHFZBUTA4k

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

"Your permanent record!"

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Pointing at the television: "You could do that!"

No, I could not.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

This is more something I should thank my family for, but I was playing the Warhammer PS1 game when I was about 13, and my dad and little brother asked what I was doing. I said something like "I'm about to partake on an errand that should bolster my coffers quite handsomely" and they told me to never ever let anyone hear me speak like that again.

Marcade posted:

Reminds me of the comedian talking about how he asked his father for a pair of Puma PUMA shoes and his father's response was "son, when I was young we couldn't even afford feet."

Closer to bullshit, however, was the gym teacher who, in defence of the kid wearing XL1000's from the local market, sat the whole class down and said "maybe one day you'll hear XL1000 spoken in the same breath as Adidas or Nike"

Disco Pope has a new favorite as of 14:30 on Aug 27, 2021

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer
dad told me that I wouldn't be bullied so much if I didn't let the kids "get [my] goat so bad". Naturally, he asserts this as I am crying in his car on the way home from school, each time.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

? Kids who react poorly to being teased are favorite targets for bullies. Got a child on the spectrum and we pulled him from public because he couldn’t cope and the school didn’t take it seriously.

Or did you take that as threat against your pet goat?

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Our religious education teacher, who was a very nice lady and encouraged me in a lot of ways, drove some of a us to a cemetery cause they were doing a Stations of the Cross thing there. I told the girl sitting next to me that if you walk over the grave of someone who's gone to Hell they'll grab your legs and drag you down with them and shouted "Ralphie, your head is full of crap!" and we all laughed that our church teacher said a swear.

About parents, my dad used to (and probably still does) just randomly and confidently point to the night sky and make up constellations.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Ralph Crammed In posted:

About parents, my dad used to (and probably still does) just randomly and confidently point to the night sky and make up constellations.
I love this for some reason.

"That cluster of stars? That's Entonces, the Mariachi musician."

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Crab Dad posted:

? Kids who react poorly to being teased are favorite targets for bullies.

Yeah, what he said.

I know its mean and all that, but if someone is loving with you, brush that poo poo off and don't show how much it bothers you. They'll get bored after a while and go on to the next target.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

Yeah, what he said.

I know its mean and all that, but if someone is loving with you, brush that poo poo off and don't show how much it bothers you. They'll get bored after a while and go on to the next target.

See this is the advice my dad gave me that I would file under "bullshit" because this just made the bullies physically beat me on a daily basis. Pretty sure the 'ignore' rule told them that they could get away with murder. And of course the supervisors/teachers would brush it off to 'kids will be kids' but I frequently went home with cuts, bruises and one time bled all over the water fountain from a head wound before someone took notice.

So I mean, if it worked for you, great! But it didn't for me and I suffered the consequences. No advice is universal.

Edit: Additional B.S. to contribute, albeit cute: To make sure I wasn't afraid of thunderstorms when I was little same dad would inform me that Lightning was a bunch of angels bowling in Heaven above us, and every time we heard thunder they got a strike.

Chaosfeather has a new favorite as of 18:21 on Aug 27, 2021

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Yeah the advice didn’t work my guy but it was due to him not being able to let it go, thankfully not physical abuse.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
That bread crusts are the most nutritious part.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

Yeah, what he said.

My dad told us to beat the bullies up, which even as a kid, outnumbered about 5 to 1, I knew those were poo poo odds. And of course the school would have suspended me, and then my dad would have probably hit me worse than the bullies.

What did work, and keep in mind this was some 30 years ago, was acting crazy. Telling the bitches little lies, like I hadn't had my rabies shot (so clearly that meant I had rabies), and generally growling and acting like I was going to bite them when they stole my poo poo. My dad never found out about it, and still thinks I ended up beating up the bullies so we all became friends.

To contribute: my dad wanted me to stop reading "garbage" like fantasy and scifi books, and told me the only read books to read were Westerns because they were Real and Historical. He actually forced me to read some Louis L'Amour bullshit on the threat of throwing out all my other books until I did. Oddly enough I did not become a Western lover.

Oh, and Braveheart was 100% historically accurate.

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When I was little, my dad convinced me for a good while that it was Disney who invented color, not just for tv and movies, but the entire real world was all in black and white too before Walt Disney brought technicolor to the masses. Made sense enough at the time.

My grandmother also told me that the wind was caused from how fast the earth was spinning around. Thought that was true until I raised my hand to answer my 7th grade science teacher's question about wind and got schooled in front of everyone.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

An ancestor of one of my friends, some time in the 1890s, died in a hunting accident. My friend's mother found a really old box of family photos and documents while cleaning out his grandmother's place a few years ago, and among them were legal documents and various writings about the accident. It turns out that what actually happened is that he came home to find that his wife had left him, spent a couple of days drinking hard, then hung himself. One of his nephews (presumably the son of whoever wrote these things down) eventually asked what had happened to him, and was told that he died in a hunting accident because he was far too young to understand the concept of suicide. Evidentially nobody ever got around to telling him the truth, and it became misinformation passed down for multiple generations.

After telling this to someone else, I learned that saying someone "died in an accident" is still used by some people as a euphemism for suicide. But only a small percentage of people are in on it so it just creates more of the same confusion. I asked about grandmother about my great uncle that had "died in a car accident" many years ago and sure enough...

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

cinni posted:

When I was little, my dad convinced me for a good while that it was Disney who invented color, not just for tv and movies, but the entire real world was all in black and white too before Walt Disney brought technicolor to the masses. Made sense enough at the time.

My grandmother also told me that the wind was caused from how fast the earth was spinning around. Thought that was true until I raised my hand to answer my 7th grade science teacher's question about wind and got schooled in front of everyone.

The really hard part to believe about this story is that some corporation would invent something useful and then let everyone have it for free

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
From my dad's side of the family...

Don't whistle indoors, you'll make it rain. I fully support this idea because gently caress people who whistle to themselves.

Never sleep in a room with a mirror where you can see yourself from the bed, "they" watch you. Never touch a mirror, "they" might pull you through, and NEVER touch a mirror in a dark room. Those come from my grandma on my dad's side, and she took those seriously.

"So much laughing, so much crying." An obvious variation of "It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt" and a pessimistic expectation someone was going to get hurt/upset when the kids/grandkids were having too much fun.

Dad worked with a guy that had 5 daughters, this was because he was an alcoholic and alcohol kills all the male sperm. Additionally/Alternately, if you don't make your wife have an orgasm you won't have a boy.

An uncle on my mom's side lived with us when he was in college. As a kid, I had a shitload of stuffed animals, pretty much all monkeys. He used to tell me that when I was in bed they hung out at the Treetop Bar drinking Banana Daiquiris, and one of the monkeys would talk poo poo about me and really hated my guts. It was okay, though, because the other monkeys liked me and thought that other one was a jerk. I would have been like 4 or 5 and never believed it for a minute, but truth is I didn't play with that rear end in a top hat monkey anymore.

My mom, my sister, and I all have very slightly webbed second and third toes on both feet. Most people don't notice unless it's pointed out. My sister had big issues with this as a kid, and my mom used to say it was because we were descended from royalty and it was our proof of a claim to the throne of Belgium.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

widefault posted:

My mom, my sister, and I all have very slightly webbed second and third toes on both feet. Most people don't notice unless it's pointed out. My sister had big issues with this as a kid, and my mom used to say it was because we were descended from royalty and it was our proof of a claim to the throne of Belgium.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu Walloon wgah'nagl fhtagn

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
I didn't go to McDonald's until I was 16 because my parents said it was owned by a cult ("The Moon something or other") and they didn't want to support it, and anyway we could make sandwiches at home. Still not sure if it's true or not.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mzuri posted:

I didn't go to McDonald's until I was 16 because my parents said it was owned by a cult ("The Moon something or other") and they didn't want to support it, and anyway we could make sandwiches at home. Still not sure if it's true or not.

Depending on where you live, it's not beyond belief that some aspect of the Moonies owning franchise locations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unification_Church

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Franchise owners being respectable is the greatest cult of our age

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.

Proteus Jones posted:

Depending on where you live, it's not beyond belief that some aspect of the Moonies owning franchise locations.

Huh. Well I'm still pretty sure they didn't really care and just used it as an excuse, but they're both dead now so I'll never know. Make sure to ask the important questions while you can, folks.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

The joy of being a brother:
My sister was looking at goat milk soap and I told her that goats aren't like cows, they need to be killed for their milk.
I completely forgot that I said that until a few months later when she burst into my room and yelled "GOATS DON'T GET KILLED!" then slammed my door.
She was 17 years old.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

widefault posted:

drat, if somebody told me that I was descended from Belgian royalty, I'd be absolutely horrified

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?
My dad always said that using AC in the car would reduce the gas mileage by over half.

I'm pretty sure he just never wanted to use it.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

CombatBonta-kun posted:

My dad always said that using AC in the car would reduce the gas mileage by over half.

I'm pretty sure he just never wanted to use it.

I mean he was right, just not to that degree. It does make a difference, just not enough to really worry about.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Zil posted:

I mean he was right, just not to that degree. It does make a difference, just not enough to really worry about.

It was more of a big deal with the type of compressors used in the 70s and 80s. With modern stuff it's negligible.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Sweevo posted:

It was more of a big deal with the type of compressors used in the 70s and 80s. With modern stuff it's negligible.

Yeah, and engines were a lot less powerful too, so you really felt that massive compressor kicking in. I keep detailed fuel economy records, and A/C costs me 1 mpg in my poor old underpowered Ranger, and so little you can’t hardly measure it in my V6 Accord.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Proteus Jones posted:

There's also an entire sandwich shop chain, The Yellow Deli, that's owned/operated by the Twelve Tribes, a cult-like religious group that's been in trouble several times.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelve_Tribes_communities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Chaosfeather posted:

See this is the advice my dad gave me that I would file under "bullshit" because this just made the bullies physically beat me on a daily basis. Pretty sure the 'ignore' rule told them that they could get away with murder. And of course the supervisors/teachers would brush it off to 'kids will be kids' but I frequently went home with cuts, bruises and one time bled all over the water fountain from a head wound before someone took notice.

So I mean, if it worked for you, great! But it didn't for me and I suffered the consequences. No advice is universal.

Some bullies will just hate you, specifically.

Dip Viscous posted:

After telling this to someone else, I learned that saying someone "died in an accident" is still used by some people as a euphemism for suicide. But only a small percentage of people are in on it so it just creates more of the same confusion. I asked about grandmother about my great uncle that had "died in a car accident" many years ago and sure enough...

My cousin's gun went off accidentally when he was cleaning it.

I was way too old when I figured that one out.