Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Dip Viscous posted:

After telling this to someone else, I learned that saying someone "died in an accident" is still used by some people as a euphemism for suicide. But only a small percentage of people are in on it so it just creates more of the same confusion. I asked about grandmother about my great uncle that had "died in a car accident" many years ago and sure enough...

Ah yeah, I got the “slipped in the shower” answer when I asked how a family’s friend’s daughter died (suicide yeah), and was scared of slipping myself for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
There's been several farmers I've known who had tractor accidents in the back field and died. There's also been a couple who had tractor accidents in the back field that involved a gun. A friend's uncle went that way. Called his neighbor and asked him to check on some things so the neighbor would find him instead of the family. It's a polite lie to protect people's feelings but thankfully that taboo is being broken and people are talking about it to try and spread awareness.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I always got "[PERSON] Went seaside" untill I was 12-15

Was very confused

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Our female cat would have kittens "someday".

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

In a not so fun argument with my father in law about veteran suicide, he did not believe WWII vets committed suicide, because they were respected when coming home. I had to explain to a 60 year old man that his dad's friends who died in hunting accidents, gun cleaning accidents, and accidentally leaving the car on in the garage were actually suicides.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

In a similar vein my grandfather didn't seem to know what happened to his grandfather, just that at some point he disappeared from his father's life. My cousin and I do genealogy research online and there was a big dump of old health department files earlier this year and it turns out he died in an insane asylum.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

After I learned the use of "hunting accident" as a polite euphemism I had to ask my parents if one of their friends actually killed himself when I was younger but apparently he no-poo poo had a legitimate hunting accident involving homemade bullets

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

coronatae posted:

After I learned the use of "hunting accident" as a polite euphemism I had to ask my parents if one of their friends actually killed himself when I was younger but apparently he no-poo poo had a legitimate hunting accident involving homemade bullets

Is your real name Charlie Brown?

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Every minute that light is on in an empty room is wasting energy and COSTING US MONEY.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Cobalt-60 posted:

Every minute that light is on in an empty room is wasting energy and COSTING US MONEY.

That’s not bullshit, son.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s partially bullshit if they had electric heat.

No wasted energy, still wasting light bulbs.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Exactly, same reason I leave the oven on all winter

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Don't put soap bubbles on your face or you'll get impetigo. I had no idea what impetigo was, but it was A Bad Thing.
Only soap bubbles from the washing up liquid, bubble baths didn't count apparently.

Also from my mum to my brother, if you eat any of the paper wrapper on sweets you'll get worms which has left him paranoid enough to religiously remove the smallest amount of wrapper stuck to a sweet. He's in his 40's now.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Eating gum will literally make holes in your teeth.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Related, if you swallow gum it'll stay in your stomach forever

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

DrSnakeLaser posted:

Don't put soap bubbles on your face or you'll get impetigo. I had no idea what impetigo was, but it was A Bad Thing.
Only soap bubbles from the washing up liquid, bubble baths didn't count apparently.

Also from my mum to my brother, if you eat any of the paper wrapper on sweets you'll get worms which has left him paranoid enough to religiously remove the smallest amount of wrapper stuck to a sweet. He's in his 40's now.

People in my mom's family would say, if you were wearing a heavy coat inside, 'Take that thing off or you'll grow worms.'

I can't seem to find a reference to the expression, whether it's a PA dutch carryover or what. Eastern PA.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That stuff about bullying, yea i got that a lot. "don't let them get your goat", okay, so I'll ignore them, whoops, they just beat me harder because they're not beating me because i couldn't take it, but because of things I can't change. Then my parents told me "well, they probably have terrible lives at home" and to that I said "you think Bob Smith, Rob Jones and Peter Paul all have terrible lives at home?" as my bullies were the kids of adults my parents knew, so by saying my bullies had terrible home lives was suggesting that their parents were crappy.

I dunno, I just think there is a hesitancy among parents to do something about bullying, that its somehow the kid being bullied fault or something that's needed to "toughen you up" because another BS thing that parents would say "You need to learn how to deal with this when you're an adult!" because yea you're working in an office and some meathead comes up and punches you in the back of the head, that's just accepted in a professional setting, that wouldn't be criminal assault or at least get that person fired.

TheAwfulWaffle
Jun 30, 2013
When I was 7 or 8, my dad told me the TV had a special sensor in the screen that measured the amount of ambient light in the room. Shining a flashlight at the screen would overload the sensor, and the TV would explode.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

My mum was convinced that if you were outdoors and needed a poo poo then you could knock on a stranger's door and by law they were obligated to let you in to use their toilet.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Sweevo posted:

My mum was convinced that if you were outdoors and needed a poo poo then you could knock on a stranger's door and by law they were obligated to let you in to use their toilet.

That's pretty hilarious. Not poo poo Your Parents Told me, but it reminds me that in high school I overheard one kid tell another kid "go hang outside of a corner store and wait for someone to come out with a fresh pack of cigarettes, they have NO right to refuse to give you one".

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

twistedmentat posted:

That's pretty hilarious. Not poo poo Your Parents Told me, but it reminds me that in high school I overheard one kid tell another kid "go hang outside of a corner store and wait for someone to come out with a fresh pack of cigarettes, they have NO right to refuse to give you one".

I'm picturing this as 8 year old chav's :allears: they are the most entertaining horrible little people

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

The exact wording my mother used was "never start a fight, but many will fight you because of who you are and there is only one way to show them who is wrong.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

I'm picturing this as 8 year old chav's :allears: they are the most entertaining horrible little people

We lack chavs in Canada but they were dirtbag kids.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

That stuff about bullying, yea i got that a lot. "don't let them get your goat", okay, so I'll ignore them, whoops, they just beat me harder because they're not beating me because i couldn't take it, but because of things I can't change. Then my parents told me "well, they probably have terrible lives at home" and to that I said "you think Bob Smith, Rob Jones and Peter Paul all have terrible lives at home?" as my bullies were the kids of adults my parents knew, so by saying my bullies had terrible home lives was suggesting that their parents were crappy.

I dunno, I just think there is a hesitancy among parents to do something about bullying, that its somehow the kid being bullied fault or something that's needed to "toughen you up" because another BS thing that parents would say "You need to learn how to deal with this when you're an adult!" because yea you're working in an office and some meathead comes up and punches you in the back of the head, that's just accepted in a professional setting, that wouldn't be criminal assault or at least get that person fired.

I am 90% sure it is pure victim blaming. Adults see something genuinely unpleasant happening and it takes more balls to stop it than to justify it. So, the bullying must be fair enough now back to lunch.

This logic works all the way up to literal genocide and IMO is the most powerful force in human thought.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
My mom told me lightning can come out of appliances and outlets, so don’t use them. This wasn’t limited to electrical devices; lightning could come out of faucets and shower heads as well. Basically, during a storm, just sit in the middle of an empty room and hope the lightning doesn’t get you. I’m not sure if she was messing with me or what, but not taking a shower during storms was the only thing she was adamant could not be done; evidently watching tv and and answering the phone was worth putting yourself at risk for lightning attack.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

mysterious frankie posted:

My mom told me lightning can come out of appliances and outlets, so don’t use them. This wasn’t limited to electrical devices; lightning could come out of faucets and shower heads as well. Basically, during a storm, just sit in the middle of an empty room and hope the lightning doesn’t get you. I’m not sure if she was messing with me or what, but not taking a shower during storms was the only thing she was adamant could not be done; evidently watching tv and and answering the phone was worth putting yourself at risk for lightning attack.

I was told if the power was out, not to flush the toilet or turn on the tap. Not the hot water tap, but any. Which doesn't make sense because both the toilet and taps run on pressure not electricity.

Yes I am aware that maybe the local pumping station has lost power so pressure might be not be the best, but I was told flushing once during a power outage would "wreck" the toilet.

twistedmentat has a new favorite as of 06:14 on Nov 18, 2021

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

twistedmentat posted:

I was told if the power was out, not to flush the toilet or turn on the tap. Not the hot water tap, but any. Which doesn't make sense because both the toilet and taps run on pressure not electricity.

Yes I am aware that maybe the local pumping station has lost power so pressure might be not be the best, but I was told flushing once during a power outage would "wreck" the toilet.

Did you parents grow up in a house with a well? Because yeah, you shouldn’t use water if the well pump is out since you could have a water hammer problem when it starts again.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

Did you parents grow up in a house with a well? Because yeah, you shouldn’t use water if the well pump is out since you could have a water hammer problem when it starts again.

This was it for me since we lived out in the country, it took a while after moving away from home to realize "because of the well" was the unspoken part.

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 18:59 on Nov 18, 2021

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Marcade posted:

Reminds me of the comedian talking about how he asked his father for a pair of Puma PUMA shoes and his father's response was "son, when I was young we couldn't even afford feet."
This just brought back a commercial I remember from god knows how long ago. It was a bunch of old grouchy men talking, and one says “These kids have it easy. When I was boy I only had one pair of shoes and they had holes in them!” And the next guy says “You had your own? I had to share my shoes with the whole neighborhood!” And the next guy says “Shoes?! You were lucky! We used to wrap old newspapers around our feet!” And finally the last (and oldest and grouchiest) says “Feet? You had feet?”

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

This Is the Zodiac posted:

This just brought back a commercial I remember from god knows how long ago. It was a bunch of old grouchy men talking, and one says “These kids have it easy. When I was boy I only had one pair of shoes and they had holes in them!” And the next guy says “You had your own? I had to share my shoes with the whole neighborhood!” And the next guy says “Shoes?! You were lucky! We used to wrap old newspapers around our feet!” And finally the last (and oldest and grouchiest) says “Feet? You had feet?”

Four Yorkshiremen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue7wM0QC5LE

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Sketch comedy is so dead that people's brains decide that any short funny TV thing must have been an ad :(

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

mysterious frankie posted:

Not completely untrue. A direct lightning strike onto an above ground power line (mains level so 120/240v, the high voltage stuff is well protected), or into your house where it just so happens to pass the mains wiring, can definitely make electric stuff explode. Holding it would be bad. Pictured are two instances of severe lightning damage.

The lightning would not 'reach out' to anyone who just so happens to be near, but holding devices connected to power or the phone line would definitely pose a risk. A very small risk, of course, but enough to not be just some kind of fantasy.
In countries with below ground mains and phone wiring, the risk is extremely small. It happens, but it requires a direct strike into the house.

Showering is safe on the condition that the shower has been installed to code (meaning that all metal parts are electrically bonded together, so no voltage difference can exist).

LimaBiker has a new favorite as of 21:11 on Nov 23, 2021

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

LimaBiker posted:

Not completely untrue. A direct lightning strike onto an above ground power line (mains level so 120/240v, the high voltage stuff is well protected), or into your house where it just so happens to pass the mains wiring, can definitely make electric stuff explode. Holding it would be bad. Pictured are two instances of severe lightning damage.

The lightning would not 'reach out' to anyone who just so happens to be near, but holding devices connected to power or the phone line would definitely pose a risk. A very small risk, of course, but enough to not be just some kind of fantasy.
In countries with below ground mains and phone wiring, the risk is extremely small. It happens, but it requires a direct strike into the house.

Showering is safe on the condition that the shower has been installed to code (meaning that all metal parts are electrically bonded together, so no voltage difference can exist).

C'mon, those are just from people trying to hide their massive shart incidents and you know it

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Old fixed line phones are the main culprit of lightning safety issues. Big honking copper dc wires terminating in a thing you hold to your head. Can and has killed, besides making people super paranoid about lightning coming to get them because lightning strikes on a phone line that don't otherwise break anything will ring your phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

LimaBiker posted:

You just gave me something to tell my mom this thanksgiving that will make her very smug and happy!