Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHRh6JwDlwo

These days, making fun of Juggalos is usually considered beneath Something Awful - after all, the internet has made people even stupider. With that being said, this year's Gathering of the Juggalos, normally not known for hygiene, is taking place during the COVID-19 pandemic. Now, I'll give the Insane Clown Posse this: they cancelled last year's Gathering, and I can imagine when there were brief signs of improvement the decision to hold one this year SEEMED like a good idea. It's not a good idea now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robin Williams
Aug 11, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Robin Williams fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Aug 8, 2021

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zIjJYYfmOg
What is a juggalo?

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

Steve-O as in the Jackass star? That's a surprise guest but not THAT surprising.

Robin Williams
Aug 11, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Kid N Play seems really weird, but I only know them from House Party (1990) and House Party 2 (1991).

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

This line up is such poo poo compared to what it was in the past.

Should have just let Twiztid buy their Master Recordings and hey maybe more than half your old lines woulda agreed to show!!

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.
Lardi B lol

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Back in the day the line up was

ICP, TWIZTID, BLAZE YA DEAD HOMIE, ANYBODY KILLA, JUMPSTEADY, TECH N9NE, BONE THUGS N HARMONY, ESHAM, DARK FUKKIN LOTUS, PSYCHOPATHIC RYDAS, QSTRANGE, PROJECT BORN, MUSHROOMHEAD, POWERMAN 5000

That's all i got so many other acts so much other poo poo they had actual CARNIVAL RIDES one time

ICP will always own for being a gently caress you band to richies, bigots, and Chickens but goddamn Violent J hosed everything up

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

ICP was doing the lords work benignly offering poor kids the same kind of sense of identity they would've otherwise found in white nationalism and it's no coincidence that /pol became a serious danger to the republic the same time they started to fall off.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

verbal enema posted:

Back in the day the line up was

ICP, TWIZTID, BLAZE YA DEAD HOMIE, ANYBODY KILLA, JUMPSTEADY, TECH N9NE, BONE THUGS N HARMONY, ESHAM, DARK FUKKIN LOTUS, PSYCHOPATHIC RYDAS, QSTRANGE, PROJECT BORN, MUSHROOMHEAD, POWERMAN 5000

That's all i got so many other acts so much other poo poo they had actual CARNIVAL RIDES one time

ICP will always own for being a gently caress you band to richies, bigots, and Chickens but goddamn Violent J hosed everything up

Yeah gently caress chickens!

Chewybiteems
Mar 16, 2009
I went in 2019 when the lineup kicked rear end (it drew a fuckton of non-juggalos because of how stacked the lineup was) and had the time of my life there. Pure sex, drugs, and rock n' roll with one of america's last remaining subcultures :shrug:

Though looking comparatively dire, bought my tickets for 2021 as well. Can provide trip report after the fact. Am hoping this year's seminar is J announcing his intent to go to rehab.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Love how The Gathering always has one highbrow good rapper who is completely out of place. Congrats to danny brown for taking the clown crown this year

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 8, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Spotify sent me this as a push notification on my phone once so if you're in the lower 98% do not dare talk to me about danny brown

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I've been to like two GotJs and there's a period of time in the night, like two hours in once the set actually starts, where the lack of sobriety is at such an extreme that it quickly becomes a nightmarish experience.

Anyway, I would gladly go again if it meant I wouldn't become diseased.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I'm fine with it considering there are literal American Nazi rallies being held in tyool 2021.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I've been to like two GotJs and there's a period of time in the night, like two hours in once the set actually starts, where the lack of sobriety is at such an extreme that it quickly becomes a nightmarish experience.

:shrug:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Chinatown posted:

I'm fine with it considering there are literal American Nazi rallies being held in tyool 2021.

Aren't juggalos super LGBTQ accepting and/or super ACAB which makes them the heroes nobody deserves but instead the heroes everybody needs

Chewybiteems
Mar 16, 2009

I remember futily trying to sleep on the 3rd night (pretty much any night it was nigh-impossible) and the "gently caress YO SLEEP" shouted through bullhorns and the constant wailing of "whoop whoops" almost breaking me psychologically. I stuck it out and all was redeemed on the last night, when I was firehosed with Faygo at the end of ICP. I was soaked head-to-toe, freezing, thinking "okay I need to find a place to warm up". I turn around, and there is already a massive unsanctioned bonfire raging in the field and juggalos are grabbing picnic tables and security gates from the venue and tossing them into the fire. I'm not gonna lie goons, at the moment and in that context it was some of the coolest poo poo I've ever seen.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Robin Williams
Aug 11, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

EorayMel posted:

Aren't juggalos super LGBTQ accepting and/or super ACAB which makes them the heroes nobody deserves but instead the heroes everybody needs

Some may be? The mythology around them is wildly exaggerated.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Oh man, what happened to Violent J?

I know he became a support supportive furry for his daughter or whatever but why would he need to go to rehab? Isn't he sober?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

EorayMel posted:

yeah i think they are pretty left leaning and hate cops so yeah they are a tribe that is on the side of, well, everyone who wants to burn it all down

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Good lord I'd kill to know what's in the Bigfoot Hunt.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

$350 to hunt bigfoot with ICP is a fuckin slam dunk imo

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

EorayMel posted:

Based on the juggalos I have known it's not that they're particularly pro-minority or whatever but more that they're just willing to accept anyone and everyone who feels left out for any reason, on the good end of the spectrum that includes when it's because of oppression or a lovely home life, and on the bad end of the spectrum that includes when the person is bad and that's why they don't have friends. It puts them in the upper half of subcultures for sure though.

Like their whole attitude is "If you don't have family that has your back, then I'm your family who has your back" which is pretty dope, if sometimes naive and misguided.

This is just an outsider's speculation but I think a lot of the clown and aesthetic stuff is mostly because the target demo is all of these kids and wayward youth in rural bible belt villages who would be indoctrinated as bible thumping chuds if they didn't have something that was the complete opposite of what their parents are into to draw them away, it's less about the aesthetic being cool and more about how the aesthetic drives away the people who treat them like poo poo.

They definitely have some lovely customs though so I can't pretend I'm fully down with the clown, their way of welcoming "non-(juggalo-)traditional" acts at the Gathering, like Andrew WK for example, is by throwing things like beer bottles at the performer during their set, which the performers are supposed to interpret as a good and friendly thing.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Aug 8, 2021

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

the trip reports and anecdotes must flow like wicked elixir

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
You gotta hand it to em

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

For as many tolerant and accepting juggalos as there are, there is an approximately equal amount that are bigots of various stripe, racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, etc.
Their apparent politics and social mores have been aggrandized by trying to turn them into some benevolent caste of loveable outcast misfits, but they're just a group tied together by a terrible musical act and extremely tenuous general ideas of kinship and brotherhood via that group that doesn't really mean poo poo because going to GotJ means seeing at least several handfuls of them getting into idiotic fights while telling homophobic slurs at each other.

Chances are you're going to run into virulently homophobic juggalos en masses at the GotJ. Remember that ICP didn't change their tack on previously homophobic lyrics until quite recently, so it isn't like they set a great example.

I don't know why the internet did their 180 on ICP. I guess because there are far better targets than poor people being generally goofy and bonding over bad music, but from my experience they have not earned the general distinction as being some kind of loving and tolerant sub culture. You're probably going to see plenty of them being anti-BLM thin blue line types too because if you still think the lyrical content of music and the political leanings of that music register to conservatives, bigots, and worthless sacks of Republican poo poo, then you must have have somehow blissfully been unaware of how much they love poo poo like Bruce Springsteen, Neil Young, and Willie Nelson.

Anyway, they're not bad, they're not good, but the weird thing people have been doing lately of trying to mythologize them is a little cringe inducing.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

I remember vaguely hearing that Chris Hansen had fallen on hard times. What happened?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

For as many tolerant and accepting juggalos as there are, there is an approximately equal amount that are bigots of various stripe, racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, etc.
Their apparent politics and social mores have been aggrandized by trying to turn them into some benevolent caste of loveable outcast misfits, but they're just a group tied together by a terrible musical act and extremely tenuous general ideas of kinship and brotherhood via that group that doesn't really mean poo poo because going to GotJ means seeing at least several handfuls of them getting into idiotic fights while telling homophobic slurs at each other.

Chances are you're going to run into virulently homophobic juggalos en masses at the GotJ. Remember that ICP didn't change their tack on previously homophobic lyrics until quite recently, so it isn't like they set a great example.

I don't know why the internet did their 180 on ICP. I guess because there are far better targets than poor people being generally goofy and bonding over bad music, but from my experience they have not earned the general distinction as being some kind of loving and tolerant sub culture. You're probably going to see plenty of them being anti-BLM thin blue line types too because if you still think the lyrical content of music and the political leanings of that music register to conservatives, bigots, and worthless sacks of Republican poo poo, then you must have have somehow blissfully been unaware of how much they love poo poo like Bruce Springsteen, Neil Young, and Willie Nelson.

Anyway, they're not bad, they're not good, but the weird thing people have been doing lately of trying to mythologize them is a little cringe inducing.

I mean, I'm not saying they're wholly benevolent but I didn't really do a 180 because this is the way I've always felt about them.

They bond over being downtrodden outcasts. A lot of people who are downtrodden outcasts are downtrodden outcasts for good reason. A lot of them aren't. But they as a group are at least centered around ideals that are, at the very least, loosely tied to inclusiveness and equality and giving everyone the same chance.

There's still plenty to talk poo poo about and plenty of lovely juggalos, but lovely juggalos are a different and less-globally-threatening lovely than the new breed of domestic terror.

They're basically the street punks from every Cyberpunk universe, and since we're entering a dystopian cyberpunk universe ourselves it's time to get used to the rough and tumble nature of the common folk.

And if they're successfully turning the burning of confederate flags into rebellion against your parents, so what?

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Aug 8, 2021

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
I like that they seem to have an awful lot of fun. Good on them.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I don’t listen to ICP or follow juggalo culture outside of these threads but I softened on them watching some GotJ videos where it seemed like mostly people having fun, doing drugs and listening to music. :shrug:

Sophy Wackles fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Aug 8, 2021

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

edit: double post

Sophy Wackles fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Aug 8, 2021

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

deep dish peat moss posted:

I mean, I'm not saying they're wholly benevolent but I didn't really do a 180 because this is the way I've always felt about them.

They bond over being downtrodden outcasts. A lot of people who are downtrodden outcasts are downtrodden outcasts for good reason. A lot of them aren't. But they as a group are at least centered around ideals that are, at the very least, loosely tied to inclusiveness and equality and giving everyone the same chance.

There's still plenty to talk poo poo about and plenty of lovely juggalos, but lovely juggalos are a different and less-globally-threatening lovely than the new breed of domestic terror.

They're basically the street punks from every Cyberpunk universe, and since we're entering a dystopian cyberpunk universe ourselves it's time to get used to the rough and tumble nature of the common folk.

And if they're successfully turning the burning of confederate flags into rebellion against your parents, so what?

Go to GotJ and you're going to see Confederate flags lol, that's the point, there's no consistency to them as a group. I think the rosy image the forums have developed over them is an example of patronization that turns a subculture you don't personally engage in as some kind of subset of cutesy allies which is weird af to me. Part of what makes GotJ so bizarre is the extremely motley collection of ideologies and demographics but it's not really "heartwarming" that some massive racists at a tent camp are trying to start poo poo with an Arab looking dude and then afterwards going to the set to talk about how much love they have for other juggalos. That's the reality of it.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

And btw that actually happened when I went, and as the days go on and the sleep deprivation mounts and people get more and more wasted, the shittiness starts to compound. A lot of that poo poo goes out the window fast once irritability enters the picture.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

That's exactly what I mean, they are so committed to supporting the downtrodden outcasts that they support even the people who are downtrodden outcasts because they're racist scumbags. It's not very different from most organized religions where if you just say you're one of them then you can have whatever lovely opinions you want and they still support you.

But even that is still leagues ahead of the kind of people who wear red caps and openly seek out the racist scumbags and amplify their voices.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Aug 8, 2021

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Ngl, one of the things that keeps me coming back to SA is that we stopped making fun of furries and juggalos; not because there's nothing to make fun of but because it's passe and we actually grew up a little bit.

I worked with a reddit poisoned idiot and he was convinced that ityol 2020, making fun of furries was still edgy. :chloe:

Chewybiteems
Mar 16, 2009

And btw that actually happened when I went, and as the days go on and the sleep deprivation mounts and people get more and more wasted, the shittiness starts to compound. A lot of that poo poo goes out the window fast once irritability enters the picture.

I witnessed this there and you aren't wrong about it having a presence. The camp I set up was right next to, as I would come to find out, pure literal wife-beater rednecks. I cringed all week but they don't represent the whole. ICP even has a song, Hall of Illusions (actually a banger, Slash is on it), that is about executing domestic abusers, but not everybody is there because they sympathize with an ideology or lyrics or w/e. lovely people exist in every gathering of people of sufficient size. There was only one fist fight that I witnessed but it is actually pretty funny - guy pulls up to main stage on an moped talking poo poo to someone. He scraps with the guy and loses almost immediately, and still talking poo poo ("yeah try saying that poo poo again, motherfucker, I'll gently caress you up next time), hops back on the moped. This fight is surrounded by a crowd of people. The moped will not start. So he's mouthing off, futily turning the key and his lovely moped isn't starting - a huge crowd starts to gather to laugh at this person. He finally gets the ignition and rolls off, while being heckled by the now-huge mob of 2000 people. In a past year, an outed tent thief had his entire car dismantled by the mob down to the individual parts.

So in defense, I will say lovely people absolutely attend the gathering, but that ratio is far eclipsed by the amount of cool wicked clowns who won't tolerate that kind of shittiness. Many are aware of how ridiculous the whole thing is on the surface and embrace it

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
But if jesus was alive today, would he be a jugglo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Weka posted:

But if jesus was alive today, would he be a jugglo?

"And the Lord saideth into thee, Whoop Whoop thyne lamb, for the Children of God must be Down With the Clown"