Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO-wt0a7_Ho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1Zyj4sfdl0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Oh you dont like car?

Name every train and bicycle

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Goon Boots posted:

Name every train

You’re tempting fate

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 14 minutes!
Fun Shoe

Goon Boots posted:

Oh you dont like car?

Name every train and bicycle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lutNECOZFw

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

so uh, i've been having sex with my car recently. it's something really new and exciting and I was busting the biggest loads of my life 2 weeks straight. I love the smell of the exhaust, but every time I waited for the muffler to cool down to do the deed.

well, this time I decided to play hot. I know I know you never gently caress the car hot. but loving the car hot... sounded so hot. And I thought as long as I don't touch the metal I'm fine (I have a small dick)

I hosed up, and my dick got soldered shut and I had to go to the hospital. luckily your dick heals the second fastest of all your body parts. so after a week I can finally pee out of the hole again.

i'm also circumcised now, so all in all cars are a land of contrasts.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

miniscule12 posted:

so uh, i've been having sex with my car recently. it's something really new and exciting and I was busting the biggest loads of my life 2 weeks straight. I love the smell of the exhaust, but every time I waited for the muffler to cool down to do the deed.

well, this time I decided to play hot. I know I know you never gently caress the car hot. but loving the car hot... sounded so hot. And I thought as long as I don't touch the metal I'm fine (I have a small dick)

I hosed up, and my dick got soldered shut and I had to go to the hospital. luckily your dick heals the second fastest of all your body parts. so after a week I can finally pee out of the hole again.

i'm also circumcised now, so all in all cars are a land of contrasts.

have you tried a ménage-a-tryes-? nothing like the smell of four big wheels to get the ol piston pumpin'

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
this topic is very "leftbook"

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

is that good or bad. tell me how to feel about this

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
Thread's gonna get brigaded by AI and more power to them

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout
https://twitter.com/clownesvanzandt/status/1424480915070328838?s=20

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
cars are good. i dont want to make multiple grocery trips a week or carry everything in the heat/public transit, and all the good restaurants are several cities over where i live. yes high speed rail could help that but it'd still be a schlep, my friend in dc had to walk an hour to the bus to go to the train station every day

i'd like it if dead mall parking lots were dug up for green space though

bikes suck and being sweaty wherever you go is gross

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 6 days!)

the sex ghost posted:

I have never read a single book and will never read any articles or theory. What is the accepted lefty position on car ownership and private transport in general. Is it submitting an application to the department of motor vehicles outlining why you need a car and getting one loaned to you on a case by case basis. Would the state be responsible for the maintenance of said vehicles. Will I get to have a go in a Yugo because that would be extremely cool.

I like cars but I also like public transport. Not sure of the best way to start reducing the number of privately owned cars but a good place to start would be to make the driving test more difficult and make people retake it every couple of years or so

increase funding of public transit to like china levels and then make registering a car a pain in the rear end that you have to do every year

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

Peanut President posted:

increase funding of public transit to like china levels and then make registering a car a pain in the rear end that you have to do every year

*Liberal brain working* tax cuts for bus tickets and a law that requires you to buy a current-year new car every year if you drive

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
cars are good and helps marginalized bipoc elderly, dementia patients, and disabled people get around safely. not everyone can figure out a bus timeschedule and its pretty ableist to hate cars

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Lmao I just remembered that somebody suggested on the local news here recently that for the same money the government spent on hosting the Americas cup this year they could give free public transport to everybody in the city for 7 years. The mayor then said some unintelligible bullshit about how that would mean rich people would be getting free transport too and how instead they're already doing some kind of subsidy for poor people etc. Typical lib brain poo poo, who the gently caress cares if some rich bitch gets free bus trips, they don't take the loving bus anyway. Means testing is such a curse.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

there was a cool article a few years ago in vice specifically about the electric humvee but also about the growing size of cars in general, the impact of it and the marketing behind it. they talked to some weird frnehc marketing guy going on about how people buy them because theyre scared of the world, of criminals, of people literally thinking theyre small dicked losers. i dont see it ever changingm, outside of some kind of world shattering singularity. im paste a bunch of it

https://www.vice.com/en/article/m7q7eb/electric-or-not-big-suvs-are-inherently-selfish

quote:

The sidelining of the environmental benefits of EVs aligns with the role Hummer and other gigantic SUVs have played in our environmental challenges. The Hummer, in all its militaristic aggressiveness, is the very embodiment of the wasteful excess that contributed to the climate crisis in the first place. Cars are inherently about projecting a self-image, and hundreds of thousands of Americans chose to project one of profound, pathological selfishness. The electrification of the Hummer is not a signal of climate progress. It is a declaration that it’s still OK to be an rear end in a top hat.

Bradsher’s book is a thorough examination of how the auto industry convinced millions of Americans to buy vehicles that were more dangerous (for themselves and other people on the road), got worse gas mileage, were worse for the environment, and got them to pay a premium for the privilege of doing so.

Car companies managed this remarkable feat because they ran—and continue to run—quite possibly the most sophisticated marketing operations on the planet. They knew what people really wanted: to project an image of selfish superiority. And then they sold it to them at a markup.

The picture they painted of prospective SUV buyers was perhaps the most unflattering portrait of the American way of life ever devised. It doubled as a profound and lucid critique of the American ethos, one that has only gained sharper focus in the years since. And that portrait is largely the result of one consultant who worked for Chrysler, Ford, and GM during the SUV boom: Clotaire Rapaille.

Rapaille, a French emigree, believed the SUV appealed—at the time to mostly upper-middle class suburbanites—to a fundamental subconscious animalistic state, our “reptilian desire for survival,” as relayed by Bradsher. (“We don’t believe what people say,” the website for Rapaille’s consulting firm declares. Instead, they use “a unique blend of biology, cultural anthropology and psychology to discover the hidden cultural forces that pre-organize the way people behave towards a product, service or concept”). Americans were afraid, Rapaille found through his exhaustive market research, and they were mostly afraid of crime even though crime was actually falling and at near-record lows. As Bradsher wrote, “People buy SUVs, he tells auto executives, because they are trying to look as menacing as possible to allay their fears of crime and other violence.” They, quite literally, bought SUVs to run over “gang members” with, Rapaille found.

Perhaps this sounds farfetched, but the auto industry’s own studies agreed with this general portrait of SUV buyers. Bradsher described that portrait, comprised of marketing reports from the major automakers, as follows:

Who has been buying SUVs since automakers turned them into family vehicles? They tend to be people who are insecure and vain. They are frequently nervous about their marriages and uncomfortable about parenthood. They often lack confidence in their driving skills. Above all, they are apt to be self-centered and self-absorbed, with little interest in their neighbors or communities.

The evolution of the SUV from rugged military cosplay to the vehicle for everyone can be seen in its most potent form with the H2, which sanded down the H1's rough edges while retaining the hulking figure and bestial attributes.

This was a stark contrast with, say, minivan buyers. Those same studies found minivan drivers considered themselves parents of the neighborhood and not just their own children. They thought about how the design of the vehicle would enable them to do the things they did most frequently, such as transport lots of children or help senior citizens in and out of the vehicle.

But that’s not how SUV buyers thought. Bradsher quotes a Honda marketing executive as saying, “They are buying the image of the SUV first, then the functionality,” because, according to their research, SUV-buyers were “very concerned with how other people see them, rather than worrying about what is practical.”

Car companies marketed SUVs towards these people with advertisements featuring SUVs dominating roads, climbing boulders, and other extreme feats even though, by the auto industry’s own research, somewhere between one and 13 percent of SUV owners actually drove their vehicles off-road, and most of those who said they did considered flat dirt roads “off-roading.” In other words, auto companies spent billions of dollars on marketing every year to nudge people to buy over-engineered, inefficient, and expensive vehicles in order to allay irrational fears far out of touch with the lives they actually had.

This cynical marketing worked stunningly well. In 2019, the seven best-selling vehicles in the U.S., and 13 of the top 20, were either pickup trucks or SUVs (pickups, of course, now incorporate many of the same marketing tropes as SUVs from the early 2000s). According to the Detroit Free Press, pickups and SUVs now account for 60 percent of new vehicle sales.

Perhaps no vehicle exemplified this trend more than Hummer. Owned by AM General until GM bought the brand in 1999, Hummer embodied a specific time and place in the American psyche that embellished the SUV persona of overcompensation for insecurity and fear.

Michael DiGiovanni, a GM market researcher who persuaded GM to buy Hummer and ended up running its Hummer operations, told Bradsher the $100,000 vehicle was marketed to “rugged individualists” who were “people who really seek out peer approval,” a delicious irony considering how much other road users loathe Hummers. Like their general SUV-owning brethren, few used the vehicle for actual off-roading.

The H1’s successor and slightly smaller variant, the $50,000 H2, was similarly designed for “successful achievers” who are “daring in the sense they may take a big stock market position…but it’s really important for them that people tell them how successful they are.” These people are, DiGiovanni added, “teenaged boys at heart” who never performed military service but wish they had. To wit, DiGiovanni said prototypes had the word “FIRE” on the push-to-start ignition button, but GM’s lawyers made them take it off.

This would all be harmless fun if it was indeed harmless. Unfortunately, it was not. SUVs are worse for the world than smaller cars. The proliferation of SUVs has made our streets more congested, our roads more dangerous, and our environment more polluted for no good reason.

In 2000, several researchers used a video camera and a stopwatch to time how long it took thousands of vehicles to get through stop lights at two large intersections. They found, as the New York Times reported, people followed SUVs, pickups, and minivans at a greater distance than cars. As a result, a large SUV took the same amount of road space as 1.41 cars. The article quotes Professor Kara Kockelman of the University of Texas, one of the study’s authors, predicting traffic jams will get worse as more people switch to SUVs.

She was right. Traffic in virtually every American city has gotten worse, especially since the introduction of Uber and Lyft (both of which allow you to hail an SUV specifically as part of an upscale offering).

“Big cars are cumbersome,” Kockelman told Motherboard. “They do lumber through intersections and they cost everybody time.”

SUVs don't just cost society time. They cost lives. At the height of the original SUV boom in 2004, SUV occupants were 11 percent more likely to die in a crash than people in cars, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, despite the common conception that people in bigger vehicles are safer. According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, from 1993-2003, car and SUV occupants in vehicles between one and three years old died at roughly similar rates; Bradsher explains in great detail this was because SUVs were inherently more dangerous due largely to deadly rollovers, but the higher position and stiffer frame of SUVs made them more dangerous to other road users, especially those in smaller cars, which evened out the death rate.

SUVs are more deadly for pedestrians, too. Last year, the Detroit Free Press revealed “the SUV revolution is a key, leading cause of escalating pedestrian deaths nationwide, which are up 46 percent since 2009,” affecting minorities in urban areas at a disproportionately high rate. And that’s without the threat of a silent Hummer accelerating to 60 miles per hour in three seconds.

Since then, SUVs have become safer for the people inside of them thanks to better design and a lower risk of rollovers. But they’re still dangerous to others. Starting in 2004 and continuing through 2018, the most recent year for which data is available, car occupants die at more than double the rate of SUV occupants. In other words, buying an SUV makes you more likely to kill other people, and yet people buy them in ever-increasing numbers. Rapaille’s reptilian brain concept has surpassed marketing theory and become a real-world experiment about how much Americans value the lives of others: not very much.

Equally profound has been the giant step back SUVs represented in CO2 emissions. A recent International Energy Agency (IEA) report found “SUVs were the second-largest contributor to the increase in global CO2 emissions since 2010” other than the power sector.

Even though cars got much more fuel efficient over the last two decades—some small, cheap gas cars now get fuel economy on par with the first and second generation Priuses—the actual fuel economy of cars on the road has gotten worse because people are driving more SUVs. And SUVs get worse gas mileage because they’re heavier and taller, which makes them less aerodynamic.

According to the IEA, efficiency improvements saved some two million barrels of oil a day, but the rise of SUVs more than canceled those efficiencies out. Instead, SUVs were “responsible for all of the 3.3 million barrels a day growth in oil demand from passenger cars between 2010 and 2018.” The rise of SUVs in lieu of far more fuel efficient cars is a cautionary tale for those who hope we will innovate our way out of the climate crisis. The innovation occurred, but people opted out.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Xaris posted:

cars are good and helps marginalized bipoc elderly, dementia patients, and disabled people get around safely. not everyone can figure out a bus timeschedule and its pretty ableist to hate cars

god i just know someone has used this argument unironically :negative:

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

don't want to take the bus to go grocery shopping :(

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, if you have a chance to life outside the US, you get can get a pretty clear car culture is just an abusive relationship we have been simply gaslit into thinking it is workable. Before 1950, the US was pretty much like the rest of the world, you could walk to local stores or take a streetcar into town etc. It is only when you actually live somewhere else, you get a sense of much we actually hosed up.

In at least Europe/Eurasia/Asia etc, you pretty much just still walk to a local store that is 5-10 minutes away and usually it has all the basics. If you need a larger store, usually there is one accessible by public transportation (depending on the country/city). Life is very doable without a car.

(One thing is also there doesn't really need to be such a reliance on packaged food/frozen food/styrofoam tasting vegetables because you can simply eat it fresh.)

At the end of the day, people are tied by their career/property/family to cars but it is more unfortunate circumstance than anything else.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 10:24 on Aug 9, 2021

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
im 36 and have never driven a car or even had a driving license. living in a country with a functional public transport owns, pack it up americailures

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

grate deceiver posted:

im 36 and have never driven a car or even had a driving license. living in a country with a functional public transport owns, pack it up americailures

Same, except living in an area with with once per hour bus service that turns into once per 2 hours in the evenings.

Drivers are raging assholes and yes, they really need to knock down most US cities & start from scratch with better public transport and denser housing.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i have the best car. the best one

you don't have a better car than me

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i went on pimp my ride and lil wayne was like

'dude this car already too pimped. really cool car, i like your car. you have a really cool car'

so he didn't pimp my ride, we just hosed instead

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I like my Toyota Corolla because I can and have lived out of it when I've needed to. Also driving is fun.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'll drive your butt

I'll give you a rimjob

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://i.imgur.com/VLeSvfA.gifv

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Xaris posted:

This maybe a joke but it is such a dumb take that it hurts my teeth. It's so so so so much easier for the elderly and disabled to use a properly functioning transit system than coordinate rides with whoever in their life owns a car. I've lived in places where transportation was nonexistent and pretty decent and the difference is having a social life, being independent, having some autonomy, feeling like a human, vs. Being stuck in your house marinating in your own sorrow because you can only justify begging rides to the doctors appointment.

If I make it to old age I will do anything in my power to live some where I am not car dependant.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Xaris posted:

The answer to this is a dial-a-ride system, not "everyone needs cars"

Also what does being bipoc have to do with mobility?

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Relin posted:

cars are good. i dont want to make multiple grocery trips a week or carry everything in the heat/public transit, and all the good restaurants are several cities over where i live. yes high speed rail could help that but it'd still be a schlep, my friend in dc had to walk an hour to the bus to go to the train station every day

i'd like it if dead mall parking lots were dug up for green space though

bikes suck and being sweaty wherever you go is gross

drat look at this sad sack of poo poo who lives several cities from a good restaurant. Dead mall parking lots and dead cities and dead people who were taken in the prime of life by a moment of distraction are all a direct result of car culture and car culture is a direct result of Americans and their "I want to never be inconvenienced and gently caress the long term impacts and all other people."

Don't say you'd like more green spaces. You got what you want. gently caress you.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Mayor Dave posted:

there's no such thing as a cool car

crush car culture

I remember watching a video that was celebrating 50 years of the NTSB by having a modern Malibu utterly annihilate a 50s Bel Air in a 40MPH crash and all the comments were talking about how it was a shame such a nice car had to be destroyed lmao

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Beartaco posted:

I like my Toyota Corolla because I can and have lived out of it when I've needed to. Also driving is fun.

It's a strange symptom of the American disease that living in a car is such a commonplace experience. We have Walmart parking lots instead of favelas. Invisible slums that leak oil full of people that can be conveniently ignored. Our acceptance of this misery is an indictment and the sentence is yet to be served.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

zegermans posted:

I remember watching a video that was celebrating 50 years of the NTSB by having a modern Malibu utterly annihilate a 50s Bel Air in a 40MPH crash and all the comments were talking about how it was a shame such a nice car had to be destroyed lmao

lol i love that video too because if you tell people the premise like 90% of them will be like "oh yeah the old car would utterly destroy the new one, they built those things out of steel, like tanks, not bitch rear end plastic like today's cars" :psyduck:

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
I'm usually pretty hard to troll but this thread is such a honeypot for me there's no way I will be able to resist.

Just remember... My bad posts are the fault of car culture and the garbage infrastructure that it perpetuates.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

grate deceiver posted:

i wish we had high speed rail in our glorious land of freedom.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Leroy Diplowski posted:

drat look at this sad sack of poo poo who lives several cities from a good restaurant. Dead mall parking lots and dead cities and dead people who were taken in the prime of life by a moment of distraction are all a direct result of car culture and car culture is a direct result of Americans and their "I want to never be inconvenienced and gently caress the long term impacts and all other people."

Don't say you'd like more green spaces. You got what you want. gently caress you.

i think the dead mall is more from online ordering conglomerates but go off

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Brrrmph posted:

Take the light rail Dale!! Nooo

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Relin posted:

i think the dead mall is more from online ordering conglomerates but go off

I think the parking lots were dead spaces from the moment a functioning ecosystem was bulldozed and paved but gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003