Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
similarly hosed up story about people trying to serial killer with their car:

https://www.king5.com/article/news/...4d-07df9cf6f047

quote:

SEATTLE — Police are searching for someone who they say intentionally drove over unoccupied tents in downtown Seattle on Tuesday night.

At around 11:30 p.m., Seattle police officers witnessed a person in a grey Acura SUV intentionally drive over tents that were on a sidewalk along Third Avenue and James Street.

Police then tried to pull the suspect over, but they fled. The attempt to stop the suspect was caught on camera. It shows the suspect initially stopped for police for about 30 seconds. When officers started to walk towards the car, the driver sped away.

According to police, officers started to pursue the suspect, but when it was discovered that no one was in the tents, the pursuit was terminated.

Police then allege the same car returned to James Street and someone inside fired multiple shots. However, no casings, property damage or victims were found.

"I think it's really messed up. That person doesn't need to be nowhere in society," said Milton, a man who only shared his first name.

He said he often hangs out in the area.

"You always have to look over your back," he said. "You never know, anything can happen."

The suspect has not been identified and no other details about their appearance have been released.

another article noted this the the 3rd time this month that this happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

police pursuits are actually bad

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Ham Equity posted:

So, while they perceive this as what is happening, it is most likely not. The way the brain handles long-term memory is that it retains things that are important, and dumps things that are not; think of your long-term memory as your hard disk, and your short-term memory as your RAM. If it's a thing you have done a bunch of times before that you really didn't learn anything new from this time you did it, as soon as you're done, your brain takes the short-term memory of that drive and basically erases it, assuming you don't need it.

The older you are, the more this happens (because the more things you've experienced that your brain doesn't feel the need to keep). Afterwards, it feels like you just zoned out and the time passed super fast, because you have no memory of it.

memory does not work this way lol

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

that's not how ram works

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
you have two minds, one in front and one in back. the one in front does all your active control, mental imaging, and powers your reasoning. the one in back does the passive activities like breathing, managing your gait, and other physical functioning. when the mind in front gets comfortable enough with an activity that it no longer needs to actively manage it, the task is passed off to the mind in back, but front-mind can still recall the task, like when you are reminded to breathe, or when your flow-state driving is interrupted by a red light

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

why would I let a red light interrupt me

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

why would I let a red light interrupt me

rear mind is probably gonna signal front mind when you see a red light just in case its brake lights. but i suppose there are drivers out there whose rear minds handle emergency maneuvers too. in fact people have so much variety that there are certainly people who never use one of their minds at all. ive long suspected that the two minds are capable of some kind of cognitive atrophy, and its likely that you can be born without one or the other, like the poor losers with aphantasia

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

car go vroom

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Brb gonna rear mind driving while I front mind texting with the buds.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Mauser posted:

Brb gonna rear mind driving while I front mind texting with the buds.

if youre skilled you can pass off texting AND driving to the rear mind while you use your front mind to eat a bowl of cereal and put on makeup

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

scary ghost dog posted:

if youre skilled you can pass off texting AND driving to the rear mind while you use your front mind to eat a bowl of cereal and put on makeup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJtxMnvY3_4

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2nDL9JLLKy/

Whole-rear end video about a lane barrier for car traffic, but holy moly look at that bike lane...

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

lol of course it’s in Florida

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

silicone thrills posted:

another article noted this the the 3rd time this month that this happened

It’s endemic now.

The transportation secretary will note with glee that “the overwhelming number of deaths, over 75%, occurred in people who had at least four citations for vagrancy. So really these are people who were housing-insecure to begin with. And yes, really encouraging news in the context of the American way of life.”

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/goodkidbikecity/status/1779012823177396486?t=v6wcc57ZXuv0JZ_9qp68eQ&s=19

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I skimmed through an article about a hit-and-run that killed a teen walking home at night some 14 years ago (it's paywalled and archive.is seems down again, but anyway it's long and I don't really like the writing style). It goes on about how it took the combined efforts of a hundred+ cops and investigators to figure out whodunnit and it was someone in the town who did all kinds of poo poo to avoid getting caught. They hid the damaged car on their property in a hidden compartment in a trailer, bought another similar-looking car and swapped some (but not all) of the VINs, etc. At the end some people are partly relieved by the closure that the perpetrators were found and will be given (relatively) lengthy sentences before mentioning the irony that if the driver had just remained at the scene and called 911 he likely would have faced next to no consequences. The victim was walking home in the middle of the lane on a country road with an 80km/h speed limit and died instantly.

I found the contrast interesting with so many other hit and run cases where cops barely give a poo poo, especially if the victim happens to survive. Maybe this one "accident" was unavoidable in the sense that the driver had no time to stop or swerve but there's basically no reflection on why this keeps happening and how to stop it. All we're left with is a cautionary tale about spinning a web of lies to avoid taking responsibility, which would make for good fiction if you're into that sort of thing but is a lot more depressing in reality.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Precambrian Video Games posted:

I skimmed through an article about a hit-and-run that killed a teen walking home at night some 14 years ago (it's paywalled and archive.is seems down again, but anyway it's long and I don't really like the writing style). It goes on about how it took the combined efforts of a hundred+ cops and investigators to figure out whodunnit and it was someone in the town who did all kinds of poo poo to avoid getting caught. They hid the damaged car on their property in a hidden compartment in a trailer, bought another similar-looking car and swapped some (but not all) of the VINs, etc. At the end some people are partly relieved by the closure that the perpetrators were found and will be given (relatively) lengthy sentences before mentioning the irony that if the driver had just remained at the scene and called 911 he likely would have faced next to no consequences. The victim was walking home in the middle of the lane on a country road with an 80km/h speed limit and died instantly.

I found the contrast interesting with so many other hit and run cases where cops barely give a poo poo, especially if the victim happens to survive. Maybe this one "accident" was unavoidable in the sense that the driver had no time to stop or swerve but there's basically no reflection on why this keeps happening and how to stop it. All we're left with is a cautionary tale about spinning a web of lies to avoid taking responsibility, which would make for good fiction if you're into that sort of thing but is a lot more depressing in reality.

No kidding about the prose style, it's really odd and melodramatic. The bit about a hundred cops working for fifteen years had me intrigued, but in like almost all cases of this sort, the cops came did nothing for fifteen years except harass somebody who didn't do it and then somebody called their tip line and said "hey, this is the guy who did it and the car is on his property."

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

wow evs have cut oil usage by almost 1%!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
rode my bike today

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
KEI chat, got to ride in a few while working on farms in japan. they own and can off-road up mountains too.

also here's me getting pulled over on bike by a boy scout cop for a passport check. he said he saw us on the news and had a fan-boy moment before asking us if we stole the bikes lol. my friend almost got deported on her last day cause she didn't bring her passport with her on our field trip. also we biked there next to the highway cause all the roads have some form of sidewalk you can bike on.

cheese eats mouse has issued a correction as of 09:45 on Apr 14, 2024

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

after someone ran a red light and killed a high school teacher cyclist, my city has upped the war against cars. last year, they painted divided bike lanes on my road. everyone ignored them, and i was overjoyed this morning to see fiberglass bollards on the inside edge of the painted separator, so all the brodozers are squeezed together and there is an overall traffic calming effect. however, i expect the bollards to all slowly be destroyed and never replaced. 2 were already dead.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Replace the fibreglass bollards with tank traps

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Hammer some rebar into the street inside the plastic flex posts

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

church zone no honking of horn

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

No honking for Jesus is a lockdown.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

gradenko_2000 posted:

rode my bike today

i'm jelly

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Mauser posted:

Hammer some rebar into the street inside the plastic flex posts

breaking out my half life 2 crossbow to implant rebar along the bike lane, and nail some F250s to a nearby building.

cheese eats mouse posted:

also here's me getting pulled over on bike by a boy scout cop for a passport check. he said he saw us on the news and had a fan-boy moment before asking us if we stole the bikes lol. my friend almost got deported on her last day cause she didn't bring her passport with her on our field trip. also we biked there next to the highway cause all the roads have some form of sidewalk you can bike on.

that protected sidewalk/bike lane owns

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

jetz0r posted:

that protected sidewalk/bike lane owns

it’s not even a nice one

through Boy Scout cop I also learned bikes are registered like cars to your name and address and they can look up your registration number on the bike in the field.

cheese eats mouse has issued a correction as of 23:16 on Apr 14, 2024

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

In what world does this solve the problem of cables

Can you imagine a street full of these things?

https://twitter.com/Clockwisesss/status/1779526704639119484

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Fitzy Fitz posted:

riding the bike underneath with no hands on the handlebars cuz they're gripping hedge clippers

snip

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

my bony fealty posted:

riding the bike underneath with no hands on the handlebars cuz they're gripping hedge clippers

snip

It’s called “trail maintenance”, and it’s a civic responsibility.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I was looking through Minneapolis's street view today and man you can really see some dramatic changes all over the city in the last 5 years. Much of the streetviews are from 2019, and all the aerial stuff is from 2024, and it's amazing how much better their bike (and bus) infrastructure has gotten in the last half decade.

Some of the data seems to jibe with that too.
https://usa.streetsblog.org/2023/08/01/how-minneapolis-became-a-top-u-s-bike-city

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

oh man, doing that on S Broadway in Denver - where they just finished a ton of pedestrian improvements and a two-way protected bike path - was incredibly satisfying

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

As a former teenager, yeah, I'm gonna swing in those. And as a current goon, they're not gonna hold my weight

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Rauros posted:

after someone ran a red light and killed a high school teacher cyclist, my city has upped the war against cars. last year, they painted divided bike lanes on my road. everyone ignored them, and i was overjoyed this morning to see fiberglass bollards on the inside edge of the painted separator, so all the brodozers are squeezed together and there is an overall traffic calming effect. however, i expect the bollards to all slowly be destroyed and never replaced. 2 were already dead.
You can find steel tube stock that'll fit inside the bollards for pretty cheap, and the supplier will even saw it to length for you most of the time.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

BonHair posted:

As a former teenager, yeah, I'm gonna swing in those. And as a current goon, they're not gonna hold my weight

Lol I used to work at a mall with a big parkade, and at one point to get people to stop hanging on the sprinkler lines they covered them in grease and goo and other filth. Didn't stop anyone from trying it but the walls of the parkade were covered in black handprints where people were trying to get the muck off

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Pretty sure this bus stop only exists to troll transit users, multiple people have been killed trying to walk from it over the years

https://maps.app.goo.gl/qtmp5twHFtQBfLZw5

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

I took a city bus to get to a park and ride where the intercity bus picked people up somewhere in the south of France, maybe outside of Aix or Avignon, and not only was there nowhere to walk to from this bus stop, but accessing the park and ride required walking along the narrow shoulder of 80km/hr road and traversing a circle with a low fence we had to hop over. Lots of carbrained poo poo still going on in the land of bicycle racing

Edit: poo poo this might have been in Narbonne while we were headed to that area. I'll see if I can find it on a map later

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
i was lead to believe Europe is one big train?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Once you leave Paris and try to get around from other points to somewhere other than Paris it can be a matter of finding a TER/commuter train or sometimes a bus. Commuter trains might not run on the weekend and can be somewhat infrequent. When I was in Dordogne it didn't seem like there were a lot of train options anywhere, but I might not have seen it.

In other news, while showing our guest around Baltimore by bicycle yesterday I got to point out the stupid loving cops driving their SUV up the pedestrian area downtown and then a series of three motorcycle pigs riding down the protected bike lane.