Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Were they at least going slowly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

troll [...] multiple people have been killed

If that's trolling nowadays, I'm ready to be nostalgic for rickrolling

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I don't need a Tesla to take big loads

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Professor Beetus posted:

Suck a Dick No Homo
Apr 22, 2008

Professor Beetus posted:

but it helps!

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Professor Beetus posted:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

DeeplyConcerned posted:

I don't need a cybertruck to take big loads

Musk thread convergence... concerning (deeply).

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Were they at least going slowly?

the suv piece of poo poo was, the motorcycles were not

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Professor Beetus posted:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

lol

A European bakery in Toronto's Bloor West Village area is under fire after a series of incendiary comments on social media where the proprietor slammed bike lanes and got into petty name-calling squabbles with other users who disagreed.

However, the bakery fired back hard at this seemingly innocuous comment, writing, "You're a joke. You buy much on your bike? In winter? Take your mom to church? Your kids to school? Get a grip. You have no where [sic] to go on your t [sic] stupid bike once all the small baunesss [sic] lose everything. Grow up."

"I've seen the effects since day one. They are a bad bad joke," the owner continued. "They are dangerous and are destroying the local economy. But don't worry, soon the small businesses will all give up and you'll have a bunch of generic condos and big box stores to come visit. You can shop there on your bike with basket, even in the winter months November to March. It'll be great!"

One user said they would stop supporting the business over Janchenko's comments, typing, "Wow, I had no idea your business was so anti-bike. My son and I frequently come in for your donuts. Sadly I will go to somewhere else in the village to get them. You should really keep these types of comments off your business site."

The bakery replied to this comment too, saying, "Buy a car. Oops, you can't afford one. Sorry you're bitter about it."

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
lol what's with Toronto having so many carbrain meltdowns

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

lmao, i ran across a crosswalk with a big yellow crossing sign leaving a park today, and the oncoming car honked at me instead of lightly tapping the brake.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Cyclists are simultaneously owned by those too poor to own cars and so are jealous of them, while also only owned by spandex-wearing snobby hobbyists that were never going to patronize your business anyway.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Precambrian Video Games posted:

"I've seen the effects since day one. They are a bad bad joke," the owner continued. "They are dangerous and are destroying the local economy. But don't worry, soon the small businesses will all give up and you'll have a bunch of generic condos and big box stores to come visit. You can shop there on your bike with basket, even in the winter months November to March. It'll be great!"

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
https://twitter.com/EoinHiggins_/status/1779612564579647789

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Toronto is basically a large sprawling tract-housing Houston or Des Moines, but accidentally built in canada. as a joke

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Xaris posted:

Toronto is basically a large sprawling tract-housing Houston or Des Moines, but accidentally built in canada. as a joke
And a conservative government rigged it so the suburbs have undue control over the going-ons downtown. Every bit of cycling infrastructure is a 10+ year fight and lanes have even been ripped out at times. (Thanks RoFo.)

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

lol

A European bakery in Toronto's Bloor West Village area is under fire after a series of incendiary comments on social media where the proprietor slammed bike lanes and got into petty name-calling squabbles with other users who disagreed.

However, the bakery fired back hard at this seemingly innocuous comment, writing, "You're a joke. You buy much on your bike? In winter? Take your mom to church? Your kids to school? Get a grip. You have no where [sic] to go on your t [sic] stupid bike once all the small baunesss [sic] lose everything. Grow up."

One user said they would stop supporting the business over Janchenko's comments, typing, "Wow, I had no idea your business was so anti-bike. My son and I frequently come in for your donuts. Sadly I will go to somewhere else in the village to get them. You should really keep these types of comments off your business site."

The bakery replied to this comment too, saying, "Buy a car. Oops, you can't afford one. Sorry you're bitter about it."

good thing cars never double park in case it wasn't a bike line

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

teethgrinder posted:

And a conservative government rigged it so the suburbs have undue control over the going-ons downtown. Every bit of cycling infrastructure is a 10+ year fight and lanes have even been ripped out at times. (Thanks RoFo.)

Mike Harris was my first exposure to politics as a kid. I went to an alternative school and a lot of the parents and teachers around me were big activists. Harris was such a bogeyman that a friend of mine dressed up as him for Halloween, it really cracked up my Dad.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

i was lead to believe Europe is one big train?

this is actually China

this guy would be great friends (or sworn enemies) with the guy who is currently on a hunger strike in part because he hates the center bike lane on Valencia St in San Francisco

https://missionlocal.org/2024/04/yasmins-owner-pledges-30-day-hunger-strike-over-valencia-bike-lane/

apparently that guy is also a shithead to his employees and may have done an arson to his own business? someone posted about it in the LAN thread

corona familiar has issued a correction as of 02:39 on Apr 16, 2024

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
Doesn't pretty much all data say bikes and pedestrians increase business

If cars are so good for business shouldn't the most valuable businesses be out in the middle of nowhere

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

how am I supposed to go shopping at Costco without my babykiller monster truck??

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

spacemang_spliff posted:

If cars are so good for business shouldn't the most valuable businesses be out in the middle of nowhere

:smuggo:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

spacemang_spliff posted:

I know I sure as hell am like 1000x more likely to stop at some random shop on a city mainstreet when I'm on my bike (assuming there's actually bike parking) than I am in a car where I have to pay attention to my driving all the time.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

spacemang_spliff posted:

there were already bike lanes there, but last year they got switched to a bike lane in the center instead of at the edge. that guy and the merchant's association (which kicked him out because he was too toxic for them) want the bike lane to go back to being on the outside next to parking spots instead, with the argument that when cyclists have to stop at an intersection and walk their bike on the sidewalk for half a block instead of just being able to stop and get directly onto the sidewalk, they're less likely to stop. so far data shows that sales tax revenues on the section that now has a center bike lane are down 6.6% per quarter, but that the neighborhood in general is down 6.9% and that the nearby road with retail and a dedicated bus-only lane and no bike lanes is down by 5.5%. so data so far suggests it's not the bike lane's fault but a general slowing that just coincides with the bike lane moving from the edge of the road to the center of the road. him saying the center lane is hurting his business also doesn't make much sense because his restaurant is on a corner lot so it's not like he'd be losing cyclists that don't want to walk half a block from the intersection where they can cross from the center bike lane to the sidewalk.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

spacemang_spliff posted:

Does your life not revolve around trips to the outlet mall?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

corona familiar posted:

this is actually China

this guy would be great friends (or sworn enemies) with the guy who is currently on a hunger strike in part because he hates the center bike lane on Valencia St in San Francisco

https://missionlocal.org/2024/04/yasmins-owner-pledges-30-day-hunger-strike-over-valencia-bike-lane/

apparently that guy is also a shithead to his employees and may have done an arson to his own business? someone posted about it in the LAN thread

Cities always think they can buy off drivers by building a shittier and more dangerous version of a bike lane instead of a good design - and every time they do, maniacs like this guy still come out of the woodwork.

It's like they know that they can't make everyone happy, so they make everyone unhappy instead.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

lol

I’m not saying that the proprietor puts arsenic trioxide in the sweets, but I, personally, would not shop there for fear that the proprietor puts arsenic trioxide in the sweets.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/rustbeltenjoyer/status/1779540738327380208

https://twitter.com/JTrea81/status/1779989103322202467

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
He's right. Simply ban cars and then there wouldn't be any crashes

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I don't think anything is going to make streets safer for the drivers of cars that crash directly into large, brightly-painted concrete obstacles

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Solid objects that stop rogue cars own, actually.

These sociopathic traffic engineers would have us cut down every tree within a furlong of every road. They would rather a thousand children be mowed down in their own yards than have one Aryan motorist suffer the consequences of their own actions.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
I present to you a vision of the future: imagine a car driving over a human face, forever

https://twitter.com/BeijingDai/status/1780171245482586246

Every people owns a phone, but not everyone owns a car, especially in the developing countries, partly because the oil cars are too expensive, and partly because the oil resources are limited, not enough for every human being in the world to drive.

However, China's NEV and PV could change this. $10,000 for a decent new NEV, unlimited power supply from PV panels, and BRI for better road system. A world of "car free" needs China's "overcapability".

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Solid objects that stop rogue cars own, actually.

These sociopathic traffic engineers would have us cut down every tree within a furlong of every road. They would rather a thousand children be mowed down in their own yards than have one Aryan motorist suffer the consequences of their own actions.

You're not seeing the big picture: if every kid is mowed down, there will be no one to continue the cycle of car violence. It's the only way.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Weka posted:

I present to you a vision of the future: imagine a car driving over a human face, forever

https://twitter.com/BeijingDai/status/1780171245482586246

Every people owns a phone, but not everyone owns a car, especially in the developing countries, partly because the oil cars are too expensive, and partly because the oil resources are limited, not enough for every human being in the world to drive.

However, China's NEV and PV could change this. $10,000 for a decent new NEV, unlimited power supply from PV panels, and BRI for better road system. A world of "car free" needs China's "overcapability".

Arguing with a tweet from a nobody, but not everyone owns phones. Still plenty of areas where folks don't have phones, a lot of times fewer women than men own phones in low income areas. My father in law doesn't own a phone because he hates them and is old as hell.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'd seen that "DFO" picture a few times, but I just noticed it's in the middle of a four-way stop. Please, think of the safety of someone who blows through a stop sign.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

good.gif

then die.mp4

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

here's this stupid bus stop to get us to the where we catch the bus going out of town

and the intercity bus pick-up location inside a traffic circle with no pedestrian crossings:

Thanks Narbonne. Even the Romans built better roads than this :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Those look like Pennsylvanian roads