Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
https://twitter.com/chron/status/1442894036382015494

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
anyone here like bicycles?

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Blockade posted:

You know what has an even lower carbon impact than buying and using a bike?

walking

Oh but walking is too slow, what if you gotta get there faster?

then my friend, is running

enjoy the poo poo knees motherfucker

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

even as someone whose brain is 75% "nyc facts," I had no idea washington square park used to look like this

https://twitter.com/GregVann/status/1446990852300029952?t=Ohrr62bA0H2GiU-hlHbEzw&s=19

was also once a potters field. :eng101:

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
we got a nice new bike lane and people are still riding along the loving road the wrong way :ughh:

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

that means thw nice new bike lane is a huge piece of poo poo!!

ok but it’s not though. it’s even separated from the road in its own space too for extra safety.

RadiRoot has issued a correction as of 04:56 on Oct 12, 2021

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Vomik posted:

saw a guy riding a penny farthing modified with what looked like multiple head lights going up and down the front fork last night - thought of this thread

did he fall down a lot? cause I would

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
give me the eco unfriendly routes to own libs better as I roll coal.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

i should start up a commie bike group.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

Oh, so that's why the Tampa suburbs look the way they do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORzNZUeUHAM

ugh houston as a pedestrian loving sucked. what mph are stroads usually at?

that's a very good video. my city did something like his recommendation with a boulevard by merging the bike lane into its own space in the middle and adding lots of trees making it more of a street. its still not perfect. we used to have light rail for transportation that connected most of the city but it went bankrupt in the 90s. it was replaced by a busing hub but they're now having huge budget issues.

"highways should also go around cities"

lol, ugh we learned that the hard way...

RadiRoot has issued a correction as of 04:44 on Oct 14, 2021

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
that video series is so loving cool

reminds me of this classic:

https://www.ted.com/talks/james_howard_kunstler_the_ghastly_tragedy_of_the_suburbs?language=en

does the infrastructure bill even address any of that poo poo?

RadiRoot has issued a correction as of 05:15 on Oct 14, 2021

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
lol I can't state how much this channel rules. this was exactly what I had to deal with in houston. sidewalks vanishing into 6 lane highways anywhere outside the very inner parts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxykI30fS54

Petanque posted:

i hadn't seen this before but goddamn this came out nearly 18 years ago?!

im an old millennial :corsair:

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Leroy Diplowski posted:

When he mentioned Iraq I was like: "drat been a minute since I heard that name"

Still really good and I think he has a lot of good advice. I really appreciate the scathing indictment of consumerism

the advice on dead malls is still relevant. my county bought a mall from Moonbeam Capital Investments to try and develop it into something usable for once since its been mostly vacant over a decade.

RadiRoot has issued a correction as of 06:58 on Oct 14, 2021

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

lobster shirt posted:

heres a delightful story from where i live: https://abc13.com/6-year-old-hit-and-killed-after-getting-off-school-bus-in-nw-houston/11125591/

it's good that the police are thinking of the real victim here, the driver.

anyway let's look on google maps and see what what the street looks like

awesome, looks super safe! another triumph for urban planning in houston.

looking at it on google street view is even worse:

:stonklol: where the gently caress is the crosswalk??????

RadiRoot has issued a correction as of 20:47 on Oct 14, 2021

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

watching this again, it kinda sucks because he doesn't mention cars at all. he just angrily shits on modern buildings and modern civic spaces and demands that we build better ones without once mentioning the root cause: they're bad because they prioritize convenience for drivers (lots of parking, wide roads)

edit: well on second thought I guess the thumbnail image literally contains the phrase "The National Automobile Slum" lol... but he doesn't really mention it in the talk

he goes more into cars in his book.

https://docdro.id/GdrnQh5

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
nearly died cause a car didn't feel like waiting to turn as my bike was already in middle of intersection. :waycool:

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

yeah but we got the infamous pizza rat.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

paul_soccer12 posted:

Did you run a stop sign/light

I did not paul_soccer12. I had the green light.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

paul_soccer12 posted:

Well the car probably felt trapped and very threatened. You must watch for the telltale signs that it is becoming agitated and give it some space

cool, thanks for the tip shithead

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

the difference is amazing

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Buck Turgidson posted:

my neighbor two doors down got a new car and just idling it is so loud that it makes my house shake. the idiot can't drive it either so I'm subjected to several minutes of swelling engine growls every time he backs out of the driveway. then of course when he pulls onto the road he guns it, subjecting everyone in a 2km radius to the sound of his lovely car.

so that's annoying. but the thing that gets to me most is the constant whooshing noise of tyres on the road. it makes just walking really unpleasant.

my apt is road level and I deal with this all the time. and to think people will mod their muffler to make their car even louder for whatever reason.

RadiRoot has issued a correction as of 03:00 on Oct 25, 2021

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
https://twitter.com/extrapostage/status/1452248059757350922

look at all those cars about to be keyed

RadiRoot has issued a correction as of 03:39 on Oct 25, 2021

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
wow you don't say! Jesus Christ youre annoying

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Suplex Liberace posted:

This page sucks total rear end (like cars). I can't wait to bike tomorrow and hopefully I dont get murdered by a negligent driver.

I biked 30 miles on the Empire State Trail the other day. barely a car at all since it's mostly all separated. it loving ruled.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
gently caress all this rain. maybe I should check out a podbike.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

gently caress joe

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

lobster shirt posted:

as i was dropping my kid off at daycare today, taking him out of the elaborate and expensive safety seat in my car, i found myself thinking for the millionth time how insane it is that we deform our lives completely around cars, which despite all our efforts are STILL insanely deadly for children, rather than try to reduce our need for them. bonkers. sick society.

maybe you just need the extra large suv with bull bars.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Went to a Halloween parade tonight. Several streets were blocked off for people to walk. At some point some cars got through, got stuck in the crowd, and everyone booed them and threw things at them. It was funny as poo poo

lucky there wasn’t vehicular manslaughter

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

aw this is too loving cute :3:

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
I chain myself to my bike

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Lastgirl posted:

nobody gives a gently caress what anyone looks like though, even if they did everyone will all be dead and dirt one day anyways so what's the point :confused: :fut:

i juice my modded heelies and have a backpack that carries my collapsible e-scooter and a battery attache to the backpack to always keep juicing both on the go 24/7 so nobody can ever steal it if i'm always going

lol heelies id be falling on my rear end all the time (i haven't skated in 100 years)

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAw81rfdf8c

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
no

RadiRoot has issued a correction as of 08:23 on Nov 10, 2021

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
ebikes are cool even if I pedal faster than them :colbert:

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

haha whoa

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
does anyone here bike for groceries? im honestly just using my bike recreationally but was thinking of looking into some kinda gear that I can snap on my road bike easily to drive less. its a bit hilly here too so not sure what haul I can handle but im willing to try.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Xaris posted:

i used to but now i can walk to 3+ grocery stores so i rarely need to bike but i'll do it sometimes

for bike groceries, you want panniers. they just attach to the backframe but also have ones that go on the front wheel frame if you want more space

a backpack/messanger bag for extra space on the back is also good if you need A LOT of room. i don't recommend buying multiple gallons of milk or anything but it should do for grocery runs.

get ones you can detach and leave at home bc they will get stolen otherwise. most should clip/slide on so it won't be a problem. also ideally permanently weld a pannier frame on if possible so you cant just socket it off in 5 seconds.

thinking about this for a double pannier maybe. this video shows off all the food it holds which should be enough for me. pretty stoked to try it :dance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWKEaeZwG0E&t=166s

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

ugh

my downtown used to be awesome too:

and now:

RadiRoot has issued a correction as of 05:45 on Nov 17, 2021

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

the environmentally conscious hummer owner. does that person exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

wow, I've been there. buffalo is what I imagine detroit to be like on a small scale.

Buffalo Central Terminal: