Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

gently caress cars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Rockstar Massacre posted:

cars are cool for *leaving* rural towns and areas but cities should have car ports and make you take transit or walk or whatever as soon as you arrive.

by car port I assume you mean a facility equipped with a crusher

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

someusername posted:

Upstate local musician takes his girlfriend's keys so she won't DWI home from a bar on the outskirts of Syracuse.

She starts walking home instead of waiting for him to finish his set, gets hit and killed. No fault of the driver, she stumbled into the lane at 2am or whatever.

DA charging the boyfriend who took her keys away with manslaughter, naturally.

The right to drive (drunk) must not be infringed.

Some fault of the driver. When operating a two-ton death machine at lethal velocities in the middle of the night you should exercise heightened awareness and anticipate the people around you doing something stupid.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Xaris posted:

okay but what if im driving a three-to-four ton death machine? ever think about that dum dum? it's called i n e r t i a. you try stopping a four-ton death machine

well the pedestrian in front of you is gonna give it an honest effort

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Becoming a master of this style and using it to choke out drivers one by one until there are none left

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Minera posted:

reading hitchhiker's guide again

The British are not particularly fond of cars, it's possibly their sole redeeming feature

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

https://twitter.com/diegbro/status/1474460075762884608

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

There really does seem to have been some kind of concerted effort to make sure there's nothing interesting in Connecticut.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Xaris posted:

tinted windows are cool + good plus they make baby bombers uncomfortable

tinted windows are bad and lovely and so are cars and gently caress you

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

That guy isn't going to get shot over his car

Why do Americans believe they live in GTA Online

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

cool av posted:

i think the anger towards jaywalkers is that the driver is performing an extremely complex and extremely dangerous operation that demands very specific conditions to do safely and they sort of subconsciously realize this but don’t quite close the loop on ‘people shouldnt be doing this’ and instead (sort of rightly) see any change in condition as a dangerous affront

I think it's mostly because jaywalking is dangerous and they dont want to be the one who accidentally hits someone crossing in the middle of the street with their car. so yes basically that

by the cartoon logic above, it's just straight up throwing yourself into the pit instead of using the rickety board to cross. it's dumb

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Sphyre posted:

:mods: give every poster itt this gang tag right now. give paul_soccer12 two of them :mods:

:hai:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

vyelkin posted:

lol

on the one hand: I love this thread and I love this gangtag and I want to reward everyone itt for making such a wonderful thing
on the other hand: the admins have told us not to just give gangtags to everybody who asks, which means if I go overboard they might decline them and then nobody gets one

as a compromise, I will queue this gangtag for the first ten posters who quote this post AND post their favourite bit of car-hating content

it can be whatever you want, a meme, a joke, a quotation, a picture, but please post something good so that the thread gets an avalanche of good content in exchange for the gangtags!

if you aren't part of the speedy ten I'm afraid this means you might have to spend the $5 to get the tag on your own

https://twitter.com/fvigeland/status/1381337831533129738

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Polo-Rican posted:

america sucks so bad look at this poo poo

https://twitter.com/RaulNBCBoston/status/1477985506931707912

when you don't have any sort of walkable city center or transit, the only option for getting a lot of people into one place is to have them drive

No you don't get it it's really important we separate every building from each other with large parking lots. Otherwise where will we fit all those cars?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Polo-Rican posted:

It's apparently less taps to launch "theater" and "arcade" than it is to turn on your loving windshield wipers lol

https://twitter.com/vecchitto/status/1478070396792590337?t=dOJJkgTOt-Yuc-iTiSUoqw&s=19

where's the app that plays Taps when you get into a car accident while fiddling with your console?

vyelkin posted:

rich people already have flying cars, they're called helicopters and they use them to avoid traffic and occasionally they crash and explode

helicopters have killed more executives than any leftist movement

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I appreciate this visual representation of the minimum stopping distance of this vehicle at 30MPH as represented in children crossing the street

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Kicked Throat posted:

How about we install a front facing camera with a projector on the roof beaming the precious images of mangled toddlers everyone is so desperate to see onto the hood? Maybe the camera will have captured the lovely parenting(or lack thereof) that led to the child being in the road in the first place.

:gb2gbs:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

good content in the replies to this reddit post with people reminiscing on how they and their family members came inches from death or were unaccountably maimed or killed by objects coming through their windshields while driving their cars

https://www.reddit.com/r/whatisthisthing/comments/rxycae/what_is_this_steel_object_that_flew_through_my/

abolish the automobile

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

https://twitter.com/troylf/status/1479176707903041541

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

If you just pitch the idea as "cars for enthusiast and industry use only, design cities around pedestrians and public transit" then you might be surprised how many people who like cars will agree with you

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Jestery posted:

Look, we've all done DMT here mate

Driving My Truck

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Hard to see this as anything but a terror campaign on behalf of the auto industry

https://twitter.com/theeyecollector/status/1483013314925977601?t=ZJ33RJ0LdUBjsrcZng_T1w&s=19

love to traumatize some children with my horrific ad campaign

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Petanque posted:

i was driving a u-haul and i was so scared of operating this enormous vehicle

lol this experience is so real. almost my first time ever driving anything bigger than a sedan and I also had my car towed behind it as I drove cross country for ten hours. loving nerve wracking but it was the cheapest possible option

nothing happened tho aside from me taking a nap on the side of the road when I felt I was too tired to safely continue driving. doubt I would ever willingly do it again though

I've had two walking-speed collisions with my foot on the brake pedal. one was at a highway on ramp with a light where I got bored and was inching forward to pass the time, I don't remember why. I zoned out a little and lightly nudged the back of the truck in front of me. eyebrows flew up, guy turned to look at me through his rear window, then drove off.

2nd time was entering a traffic circle. I turned my head to check oncoming traffic from the highway exit ramp to my left, easing forward at the same time, lady in front of me didn't budge even though it was clear, I lightly tapped her. naturally, she filed a police report and sued

Cup Runneth Over has issued a correction as of 07:46 on Jan 20, 2022

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Deleted already

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Boywhiz88 posted:

https://youtu.be/HauVg7zvpPQ

https://youtu.be/5aemlJ1QPA0

https://youtu.be/VkFpzJ5mEco

Lmao, I just loving pull my handle in my 20-yo Maxima like a dumbass and it opens. Such an idiot to use such old technology.

Have to say I approve of pissing on your Tesla to get it to open its shittily designed door

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

dude i reall think you should look where youre going when youre driving

I have to SMOG when I merge lanes. Unless you think it's safer to gun it blind into oncoming highway traffic

No worries though I don't drive nowadays

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

https://twitter.com/drilbot_neo/status/1485939254182113281

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

indigi posted:

you had to take a nap during a ten hour drive?

yeah

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

indigi posted:

Jesus have yall been diagnosed with anxiety disorders

indigi posted:

yeah if you need a nap in the middle of a seated noncontinuous ten hour task maybe you have a sleep disorder

i was just tired and it was the middle of the night dude. lol. what's your problem?

indigi posted:

if you’re a bitch sure

clearly I should have continued driving while exhausted in order to not be a little bitch pussy in spite of the well-documented and studied fact that driving tired is similar to driving under the influence. this makes sense to post in the "i hate cars" thread

Cup Runneth Over has issued a correction as of 21:07 on Jan 27, 2022

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Nocturtle posted:

Nope definitely misguided self preservation fantasy. American society will drag everyone down with it no question, but at the very least can stop living in ground zero for every new variant that rolls over this stupid country.

You will regret this!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Excellence in Concrete Paving

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

*slaps one of these bad boys down just out of frame*

There's your bike lane

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Karach posted:

Somebody gonna steal that $5k bike. I would not feel safe locking that thing up anywhere unattended.

Just buy a Kryptonite lock, it's basically bike insurance. They cover up to $5k with the New York locks.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Yeah that ‘guarantee’ is meaningless and they’ll deny every claim

https://www.reddit.com/r/bicycling/comments/c272ct/i_successfully_filed_a_claim_for_my_stolen_bike/

:shrug: YMMV

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

nomad2020 posted:

Just regular renters insurance bought my neighbor a new e-bike. Probably more reliable than the bike lock company.

I tried reimbursing a bike from renter's insurance and they denied it saying I had a $1000 deductible lol.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

500excf type r posted:

The other car is pretty clearly the aggressor in that video and attacked the guy first, that doesnt make it okay or good to shoot all crazy like that, but if someone is attacking you, you should absolutely have every right to defend yourself.

You do not under any circumstances have to hand it to em

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

There are so many people who post in the car-hating thread to defend drivers doing objectively insane things and I don't understand it. Car brain is worse than worm brains

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Jestery posted:

I can atleast follow that line of logic

really?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Jestery posted:

the shooting is just so emblematic of gun culture, like if I was driving and heard a bang on my car , my immediate response isn't a gun, it's "what the hell was that" to immediately bring out a gun isn't a cultural response I could ever have

he had the gun out before he heard the bang, watch the video. he was prepared to shoot that guy from the moment he brake checked him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

lobster shirt posted:

yeah it's very funny that people spend tens of thousands of dollars buying vehicles with functions they don't need or hardly ever need (like towing or massive cargo space) when it would be far cheaper to just have a small car as your daily driver and just rent a truck when you need it.

well of course it would be best if they didnt need to own a car at all but as it stands people get way more vehicle than they need. people have tried to talk me into getting a big van or suv because i have a kid now, like... the car seat fits just fine in my car thanks.

Yeah but sometimes people ask to borrow my truck so everyone needs to own a truck actually