Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
modern short bed trucks with single cabs look like scaled up micro machines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

TeenageArchipelago posted:

You know how in the US everyone seems to have their own number on how far over the speed limit you can drive without getting a ticket for it?

I wonder what the average cop's number is, and how that impacts when they decide to ticket

Typical non city cop will say 10mph over before stopping a car, 15 over for a ticket

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

My town has a combined family dollar / dollar tree which might be extremely rare idk

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Hybrid cars like the Prius are just a generator and a battery, that's the hybrid

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Clark Nova posted:

the gas engine still provides power directly to the wheels in most hybrids. plug-in hybrids may be different

The gas engines only drive the wheels on a Prius (as far as I know) at higher speeds and the faster it goes the more inefficient it becomes. There's also regenerative braking I think

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Actually so here's something fun about engines that I've learned recently:

Back in the late 1800s early 1900s all the farmers and woodlot owners had steam powered saw mills and caused wildfires all the time. The early combustion hit and miss engines actually put an end to it by providing a "safer" energy source.

A coincidentally I took this video earlier today

https://i.imgur.com/7ngj2WG.mp4

500excf type r has issued a correction as of 03:37 on Sep 12, 2022

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

cowboy beepboop posted:

car speedos should stop out at +10km/h above the national speed limit (eg 120km/h) instead of this insane 250km/h+ bullshit so people stop thinking 30km/h is slow in cities

Why have an analog gauge at all, just show the speed on a little square screen in the dash

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Because the normal gauge is more easily observed when driving, making it easier to follow speed limits.

Is there anything to actually back up the idea that reading an analog clock is easier and faster than a digital clock

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

3D Megadoodoo posted:

IDK how is that relevant seeing as how we're not discussing clocks?

Its pretty much a direct apples to apples comparison

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Probably need to clean your throttle body if your butterflys are that resistant to opening that it hurts your foot.

Spring rates are constant so there shouldn't be more effort required for less throttle

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

I wave to people, whistle, and pop wheelies while riding my bike, but that's because it's a joy to ride a bike in nice weather.

I don't think I ever notice anyone having a good time driving their car in the city.

https://i.imgur.com/8Al4nIg.mp4

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Xaris posted:

that video reminds me that for work i had to drive up to some of our sites out in white flight wealthier landed-gentry suburban hilly town today and got stuck at like 5 different locations around town. was just amazing how packed roads are with parents dropping off kids in the morning holy poo poo. just several hundred+ cars backed up 10 blocks waiting to turn into a school to drop off little timmy every loving morning

not a single school bus to be seen.

how do people with kids do that poo poo every day. i'd be yelling at school to send a bus to pickup my widdle timmy because i ain't gunna deal with that poo poo every day for 12+ years

They don't have jobs, they're house wives and house husbands

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Holy poo poo I never understood bad public transportation until I spent this last weekend in Chicago.

I thought new England was tough some times but holy poo poo lol

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Polo-Rican posted:

chicago has the second-best public transit in the country. (unfortunately "the country" is the united states)

dxt posted:

Chicago's public transport is among the best in the country lol

Lmbo

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Are you just going to walk around like some sort of vagrant

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

i bought a racing wheel / pedal / shifter setup for my PC and after minutes of use i remembered i fuckin hate driving

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Epic High Five posted:

Would most places even let you install bollards in your yard?

You mean a fence?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

In 1970 four teenagers on the cusp of graduation died in my front yard when they crashed their car into a tree after failing to negotiate a turn

500excf type r has issued a correction as of 04:48 on Nov 14, 2022

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Actually just three, the fourth died on the way to the hospital

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Epic High Five posted:

Fence does not defeat car

Build it stronger, a fence made of bollards is still a fence

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

actionjackson posted:

every so often i get this little magazine in the mail from the college within the U of Minn. that I graduated from

look at this stupid poo poo

"We don't just want to make the car smart - we also want to make the infrastructure smart by using advanced network communication technologies such as 5G and edge computing"

"Think of it as air traffic control, but for self-driving vehicles. Zhang's team will develop new models and algorithms to move us closer to edge-assisted intelligent driving systems. Unlike the larger-scale cloud computing, edge computing puts the data closer to the location where it's being generated, at the "edge" of the network.

The only way self driving makes sense is if all the cars are in some sort of meshed network and communicating everything

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

what is the best way to quickly put a bus ditch in a road without a big road crew or anything? asking for a friend

C4 cratering charges daisy chained together

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Because they're on their phones

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

BonHair posted:

I can't even imagine how bad it must suck being a teenager in rural areas. From 13 to 18, you're gonna want your independence, but you have to have a loving adult with you if you wanna go anywhere? That's just horrible, and part of why I never really considered leaving the city

You and your friends just ride bicycles into town etc until you get your license and then you never ride a bicycle again

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

McCracAttack posted:

I live in the middle of nowhere southern US and I'm starting to see multiple kei trucks driving around town.

There's so much demand for smaller trucks that people out in the boonie are importing them.

a bunch of small farms around me have these for tooling around and running errands etc instead of using work trucks. Some people also haul around their dirt bikes on them and it makes me jealous.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

mawarannahr posted:

I asked a couple people to count 3 seconds in the last few months and neither of them started from 0. does the average person understand what 3 seconds is?

Bruh how long does it take you to count zero seconds

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Horace posted:

I think the death rate of motorcyclists would be a lot lower if they didn't do stupid poo poo all the time. like, every time I see a motorcycle there's a very high chance the rider is doing something moronic at that exact moment

today I had one undertake my car after I moved over to allow a lorry to join the motorway, literally undertook me in the space the lorry was entering. a slight misjudgement and he would've gone under the wheels of a 44 ton wagon. forget donor organs, the paramedics would have needed a kärcher to get him off the road.

http://i.imgur.com/8Al4nIg.mp4

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Lol that neatheterodude freaks out like a baby itt over the most milquetoast crash video but actively posts about how much of a hardon troop deaths give him in another thread lol

Just lol

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Perhaps viral videos about how bad cars are that air on the evening news are fair game for the cars are bad thread

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

and Gen X will be even worse

Those cargo cult boomers are already much worse, I believe lead peaks under the oldest of them

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Boise is 90% white. For some reason it's easy to get good infrastructure built in primarily white cities. Makes u think

you could say it is supremely white

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Filthy Hans posted:

in 1986 a rally racing version of that car crashed into spectators during a race, killing a few and injuring dozens, and was the death knell for the entire Group B division

exactly what you want flung about willy-nilly on low-speed British roads

A few years ago the first asian female driver competed in dakar and in the opening 11km stage[prologue, not even stage 1] she crashed 5km in and ran over 10 people.

The whole race was 9,237km that year

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I trust the truck drivers way more than the normies

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

spacemang_spliff posted:

I didn't know squirrels were omnivores until I saw one eating hot wings out of the trash by my old apartment

I BBQ the squirrels i shoot out of my bird feeders and then feed them to my chickens, yin and yang

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

don't worry, we're gradually moving into land that IS agriculturally productive. you know, in a future with an exploding population and rapidly shrinking productive zones

Writing your name in the grass

One of my favorite things is looking at old maps and aerial photos and finding large old farms and then looking them up today and finding all their fields filled with new construction homes and nothing left of the farm that was there for ~200 years or more.

All those old farms were built on the best available farmland which is now all developed and i just lol and lol

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Lol I just saw a car with the license plate "midwife" and all the same type of stickers right down to the 8cm one

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

https://i.imgur.com/UQ6ZrCY.gifv

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Harik posted:

yeah, but they should be directed downwards, not upwards. we don't need to white-out the sky at night, and we definitely don't need to do it in that godawful sodium vapor color.

also when you blackout the streetlights you also blackout sunrise which fucks with your circadian cycle. embrace modernity, reject tradition

that was the true accident, they've already walked it back.

IDGI you fuckup and get on the sidewalk you hit whoever's there. One person, a woman and her baby, a bunch of cheerleaders walking to a cafe, whatever. The problem is cars leaving the road in the first place, what happens after that is just physics.

FWIW I'm fine blaming the car, because without a 5 ton death cage the driver couldn't efficiently conduct mass murder. Blaming people lets you say the problem is with bad apples. Blaming the car forces you to confront the fact that the damned things are everywhere, like pidgeon poo poo.

Pigeon poo poo comes from pigeons, are you retarded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Imagine if all the roads were dirt again, I bet a lot of people would simply just not drive in the bumpy dusty conditions and everyone else would drive a lot slower and more cautiously