Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://i.imgur.com/VLeSvfA.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

IAMKOREA posted:

They loving love dogs and take their dogs on the tram or bus where I live. You can also take your dog into the pub, restaurants, pretty much wherever. You can even take your dog into the movie theater here where I live in central Europe. Like literally to watch a movie with you. It owns. edit: also I think crating at home is illegal, but it seems like muzzles are mandatory when dogs are out in public. Also all dogs are super well behaved and there isn't a single stray dog in this whole country which is kind of weird and the reason I don't have a dog yet, since I'm not ready to drop 1000 Euros on a pure bred and there is literally not a dog pound here like where we got all our dogs when I was a kid in the states. It just like doesn't exist.

e: you can definitely take your dog in a taxi, yes.

Why would crating be illegal???

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

raspurtin posted:

The internal combustion engine is the single most destructive invention in human history. We need to work to eliminate it immediately, at all costs. Here’s a recommended approach:

Phase 1 – get rid of all 2-stroke engines. All of them, in the next 3 years. gently caress your dirt bike, get a real hobby. and gently caress the leaf blowers.

Phase 2 – all personal vehicles, no ICEs. Within 5 years. If you need a car/motorcycle you can buy an electric one. This includes antiques/collectors, no exceptions, no grandfather clauses. gently caress your Model-T, gently caress your GT whatever. Put an electric motor in it.

Phase 3 – commercial road vehicles. 10 years out. By then we should have solutions for electric truck motors, and hopefully more local production and less required transport overall.

Phase 4 – trains/shipping. Convert them over to hydrogen or some other carbon neutral fuel if you have to. Nuclear vessels.

Hopefully within the next 30 years the planet will be completely ICE-free. God knows the poles will be.

a good start

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Nitevision posted:

I traveled around Germany by train over a couple weeks for I think a grand total of about $90? with the experience of walking right onto my quiet car at the station with no lines or anything and barely noticing once we got moving while I read a book for a couple hours. Can't imagine ever choosing driving or even an airplane over that, it was without exaggeration one of the most pleasant travel experiences I've ever had. I think Americans just have no idea what it actually can be like

I'm still so angry about Scott Walker killing the rail line from Chicago to Minneapolis

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Sphyre posted:

ford f150s / pickup truck culture in general is deranged even before you add an impaling spike on the front

come the gently caress on

do normal pickup trucks even exist anymore or are they all these tank-sized monstrosities now

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

This is a situation where you let air out of the tires

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Simply making parking lots illegal would alleviate a lot of the symptoms of car culture

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Car Greyhound Culture

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

actionjackson posted:

I walked to work for years and gently caress bicyclists who ride on sidewalks

walk crew > bike crew

lol what a loving shock

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

And like clockwork here come the idiots to scuffle between pedestrians and bicyclists' ownership of 10% of the roadway while cars take up the other 90%

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

"passing on your left!" *bikes glides smoothly past a pedestrian*

"AAAA! AAAAAAA! I AM BEING ENDANGERED!!! WHERE'S MY METAL CAGE?"

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

vyelkin posted:

one time an old lady in my city died after being hit by a bicycle and it made the news for what felt like weeks, meanwhile there were hundreds of annual deaths from people being hit by cars that nobody even bothered to report on because it's just expected

like 8 years ago a grandma got turned into paste in Madison WI because she tried to cross over the front of the city bus after getting out at her stop. like you said, it had weeks of news and loads of Discourse about it, but absolutely nothing about all the drunk driving deaths or anything

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

traffic lights should be finger-activated

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://www.reddit.com/r/UrbanHell/comments/pt4bfi/my_citygroningennl_and_the_battle_against/

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

vyelkin posted:

Beijing and Shanghai are linked by 1200 km of high-speed rail but the United States of America is too big to have high speed rail between cities like Chicago and New York, which are a whopping, let's see here, 1200 km away from each other

one funny quirk about china discourse in the USA is the total incapability of so many americans to comprehend that China is roughly the same size of the USA

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/grescoe/status/1441041977815052296/photo/1

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

on one hand this is regressive as gently caress. on the other :getin:

tbh I don't give a gently caress if it makes life better for all of us

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Polo-Rican posted:

the grass and weeds have infinitely more protection than the people riding bikes lol

gently caress

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

vyelkin posted:

the virgin car vs. the chad cyclist

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i can tell this is a made up story because the ranger never came with a v8

500excf type r posted:

Four banger eh?

Hey guys I don't know basic poo poo about this machine I literally cannot live without and is most likely the most expensive thing I own. I'm just so above it all you know?

You want to cut down on all the cars and all the bullshit that goes with them, don't allow people like that to drive at all. If they think their car is a magic box, they probably don't have the object permanence to not hit people outside of their direct field of view. I feel like this is something we can all agree on.

Carmant posted:

Does your dad still change your tires for you.

lol

:sad:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I pay $5/month extra on my car payment specifically so I don't have to think about this poo poo. also because my Fit is a CVT and I am absolutely not going to waste like 4 years of my life on learning how to maintain that disaster of an engine. going to take my car into the shop next week for my fully covered tri-annual tune-up and continue enjoying 40 mpg

imagine if I could just take a streetcar to work, to the grocery, and then home. how chill would that be

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Grocery shopping in America is such a pain. People buy in bulk because they're overworked with no time and because every grocery trip is an across-town ordeal. Stopping by the corner store to pick up a few things is bliss and much easier to do on transit than our typical once-weekly Costco trips.

In college I lived a block away from a grocery and would just stop there on the way home from class. I had virtually no food waste these days because I'd just cook and eat whatever I got same-day

Today I have to drive 4 miles to the nearest grocery which is gigantic and takes roughly 45 minutes for a full trip through it. 15-20 if you're really hustling and know exactly what you're grabbing and ignore everything else. It sucks

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Dolphin posted:

that would probably be pretty easy, just make it push the spike up when enough weight is added. could be an issue with fat people but what are the odds they're on a bicycle

something speed bump shaped where the upper surface is held up by springs that compress when run over

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

zegermans posted:

Same size bed

rofl

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

That's dumb as gently caress with the same liberal logic of trying to make guns "safer" by not allowing bayonet lugs or whatever. A car on a well designed and maintained road can safely go 100+. If you find that dangerous, then you shouldn't drive at all and you not being on the road will improve safety for everyone. Thanks in Advance!

what do you need to go 100 mph for

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

indigi posted:

yeah basically. if I could cruise at 90 the whole way my work commute would be cut in half. or if there were a subway system to get me there

you should cruise at 270 then

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

mastershakeman posted:

i think you'll find the bike lane is a great place to stand and chat with your friends so that passersby don't bother you like they would on a sidewalk. except in winter when it's full of snow and slush since no one bothers to plow it since it isn't part of the road

Somehow I don't think that'll be a problem in the part of the country that's from.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

God Hole posted:

huh wonder why a professional culture came about that disdains anybody with a droplet of sweat on their brow

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

what a shockingly depressing photograph

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Yeah learning that word helped me to define why the new development here reminds me of metro Atlanta. It's because it's all stroads.

Oh, so that's why the Tampa suburbs look the way they do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORzNZUeUHAM

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

suck my bone carlover

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Cars don't belong in cities. Also there should be a federal no-growth line at the current city-limits of every single city in America, no cars within the no-growth line.

ban parking lots first

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

actionjackson posted:

aren't the speeding fines as much or more than parking violation fines?

it's way easier to catch parked cars

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Milo and POTUS posted:

I legit don't have the heart to

It's just an endless parade of the stupidest people on the Earth revelling in their indistinguishable stupidity while insisting that they're unique, individual free thinkers.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

carbrain is inextricably linked to a psychotic desire to see number rise at all costs

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

lol at the multiple hulking trucks and SUVs in this video

you are in new york city!!!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

a good first step would be to ban parking lots and on-street parking

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

car! give me car! car! fatphobe!!! give car! car now y'all!

https://twitter.com/molliekatie/status/1451074392646107140

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

you know what's incredibly better for disabled people?

trains.