Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I don't think anyone in this thread would object to everyone in the state of California getting $400, even if it were "for gas"

the original plan was $400 per a tax payer, then it got means tested to become $400 per a car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

BraveUlysses posted:

lmao bus in the bike lane

just draft behind the bus, it's awesome

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

an actual frog posted:

Geniunely livid tbh

Cars? hate 'em

That's the 2019 model, the 2022 one is 1.5 inches taller.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Xaris posted:

i rode my bike for the first time in like 3 years up to a campus event because i knew it was also grad weekend and were a zillion suv-trucks. drat i really need to work on cleaning up and tuning. derailleurs no longer went past 1-2 and would stick requiring super heavy presses, and my rubber handebars were disintegrating rubbing plastic-rubber poo poo all over, and the back brake barely gripped enough to stop going downhill.+ i guess bike parts are still hosed up? what is a good brand for brakes/deraileurs that's still somehow affordable and in stock?

Unless the derailleurs are actually damaged, all that can be fixed with a tune up. Except the grips disintegrating, you're gonna need new ones.

At worst you need new cables, brake pads, and a chain, the rest is adjustments, cleaning, and lube.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Xaris posted:

i did try wd40 and then added chain lube after, but tbh all the parts were already fairly low-quality junk when it was brand new, as trek was skimping at that point. but the shifters are also all cracked and stiff and the cables need to be entirely redone as well. at this point i need to replace a) shifters, b) seat, c) handlebar grips, d) brakes, e) redo both brake and gear line, and f) tires are mostly bald and not holding air super well. about the only thing good is the frame but it's not a light-weight frame, just a standard hybrid one that's about 50 ls. a shop is prob gunna run at least $350 in total? idk i'd like something lighter

Replacing the durable parts on your cheap hybrid is the worst option. Either fixing them or getting a new bike are both better. Since you don't have the mechanical skills to do a simple tune up, you're gonna wind up spending a bunch of money to get someone else to install the parts, or end up with a perpetually broken project bike. None of that is worth doing for a low end hybrid.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Mr. Sharps posted:

you can also just straight up "fall off" a ferry and drown, so it’s not like the whole thing has to sink to add to the tally

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

https://i.imgur.com/bdXoW4f.mp4

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

withak posted:

I wonder if the dumpster in question was like a block away, or just in the alley out back?

There's one dumpster in the block mentioned in the article, and the furthest apartment is about 350ft away from that dumpster.

Dumpster is at the 0ft point.

So yeah, killed her kid to save a walk that was at most 1.5 blocks round trip.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

interested in DIY speedbumps

bunch of bags of quick set readymix, and some jugs of water.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Horace posted:

I have to cycle down a cobbled street on my commute, it's horrible. I do like 5mph and it still shakes my fillings out.

Pretty tho

go faster, it averages out the bumps better. and gear a bit harder with a slightly slower cadence, so more of your weight is being supported by the pedals. i learned to just loving go for it when i hit a section of brick road or railroad tie boardwalk, and they became a lot more bearable.

there's a lot of videos and such about riding on cobbles because one of the hardest and most famous road bike races features a bunch of cobble sections.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVXWhEmeuxM

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Cloks posted:

Got some bad news for you, bud

According to this:

lmao, covid kills 10x as many people per a year.

in america, the only regrettable thing about car crashes is that a car gets damaged. the injuries and deaths aren't important.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

TeenageArchipelago posted:

This is a longboard

no, that's a razor scooter

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

speng31b posted:

nah, monopolies acquiring the services has already happened and makes them worse in all the ways you'd predict. the weak link from a tech reliability/ safety standpoint is the digital key itself being dogshit and not standardized

:thejoke:

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

blocking roads is more effective than any liberal protest of having speeches in a park.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Blackhawk posted:

Driving home from work was such a nightmare of traffic today that I'm determined to cycle tomorrow even though it's going to be raining. What's the point of building a water-resistant bike if I'm too soft to ride in bad weather just after recovering from covid.

hey, take it easy for a few weeks after getting covid. pushing yourself during the recovery period can worsen long covid outcomes.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Suplex Liberace posted:

I'm going for a bike ride :) it's going to be a bit chilly but pleasant

went for a bike ride yesterday. saw some quail, turkeys, and rattlesnake. was pretty cool, riding bikes is good.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

https://twitter.com/QAGreenways/status/1578020650970910722

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Clark Nova posted:

Cops are going to ramp up the violence in proportion to climate disasters in order to maintain the comfort and property of the rich against the increasing tide of desperate, displaced people with nothing left. It is why they exist.

and the core protected class will continuously shrink as conditions worsen

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

just did a 2 mile walk through downtown and was almost hit by cars 3 times. at each of a stop sign, red light, and at a sidewalk X parking lot driveway cutout.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Zerg Mans posted:

how is a compact SUV not a hatchback

crossovers are lifted and enlarged hatchbacks

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Blackhawk posted:

Decided to bus back to the office today rather than do yet another short car trip. Ride on the bus was pleasant but I didn't have enough money on the smart-card thing we have for public transit here for the return trip. I haven't used public transport for over a year and forgot how stupid the system is, literally the only way you can pay for the bus is via the smart card and adding money to it online takes 24 hours to take effect. The only way you can instantly add money to it is at a shop or station that does that, which for me was more than 1 km in any direction. There's no way to pay for the bus with card or cash, or to instantly 'top up' the card without going to one of a few specific locations. I don't get how an online payment takes 24 hours to process in 2022 but I'm sure it involves some level of graft and/or corruption, and it seems like a pretty good way to discourage people from using public transport.

portland's public transit lets you use any NFC debit card the same as a transit pass. you get charged the fare, with a daily max of $5. i could just wave my wallet over the sensor on the street cars, light rail, or buses to pay. super easy and frictionless to use.

so of course most places are absolute garbage with systems designed to suck.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Ham Equity posted:

Does that truck not have four-wheel drive, or is the person driving it just too stupid to know how to use it?

They're spinning both sets of wheels at the same time. So it's a dumb driver doing dumb poo poo.

The indication that someone has no clue how to deal with getting stuck is when the wheel loses traction and they floor it to ensure the tire will never get grip in the rut they're digging.

jetz0r has issued a correction as of 00:00 on Nov 10, 2022

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

lobster shirt posted:

when driving it is important to leave plenty of following distance between yourself and the next car

yeah, it's important so that someone can get in that gap and brake check you.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

BonHair posted:

I'm still low key considering plausible excuses for caltrops or similar in my front yard that people will use to turn their car around.

check out my new lawn art

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

I hate this poo poo and the safeway near me does the same thing. They closed the door closer to the sidewalk in March 2020 and have never reopened it.

Also they got rid of hand baskets and tiny carts so everything is purely catered to GIANT cart shopping instead of just carrying a few things at a time.
A) small carts rock bc they are more manuevarable and I can put my bags in the bottom easily B) it helps me judge if i'm at my limit of things I could reasonably walk and carry back home.

So instead now I just awkwardly carry like 10 things in my arms

i bring 2 or 3 ikea bags with me and load them up while i'm shopping. they hang on my shoulders and are stronger i am, they're not gonna burst and there no balancing some veggies in plastic film on top of a meat tray while shopping. and i know how heavy everything is and how it's gonna feel on the walk back.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Sphyre posted:

is meat dirtying up shopping bags through the sealed trays it comes in or something

meat packs frequently leak meat juice all over

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Milo and POTUS posted:

Animal poo poo is 100% what they mean lol.

i didn't buy garbage bags for ~15 years, i only used grocery bags. using a small garbage can in the kitchen was nice, because it would fill up faster than it could get stinky. now i have to buy new plastic film to put all my extra plastic trash into.

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

What is wrong with your butcher that they can't wrap meat without leaking blood everywhere?

a butcher? let me just add that to list of fictional occupations that i can't afford to interact with, like doctor

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

BonHair posted:

Actually no, on account of I don't live there. I just generally gathered that transportation in USA has moved to cars and trucks, making trains more or less irrelevant to the economy and most people.

lol

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

the us moves millions of tons of raw materials in the back of steve's pickup

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Epic High Five posted:

95% of cars look exactly the same now. It's either a massively oversized land boat or a broke person hatchback lifted 1 inch off the ground, renamed "crossover", and sold for 20k more

The only reason you can look at a parking lot and not see something from anti-Soviet propaganda is because enough people are still trying to keep 04 sedans running because it's all they can afford

:wrong:

i keep an 02 hatchback running

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Smythe posted:

ive become golf cart pilled. a future of trollies, trains, bikes, and golf carts for the edge case ppl.... golf.. cart

golf carts are pretty awesome, i loved working outdoor shows where i got to zip around in little cargo golf carts

load em up with cable and zip ties, drive them right inside the buildings/tents, give people rides around the grounds, and put it back in the cart corral to recharge overnight.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

lol im literally afraid of hills and i live in seattle. I bought a bike with the intention of conquering my fear but it only seems to get worse as I get older and I just ride my brakes the entire time.

Bike luckily was bought mostly with a work fitness stipend so im not like out a ton.
descending on a bike is one of my favorite things. the bike is my trusty stead, she can handle more than i can, all i have to do is be confidant and guide her within both our limits.

riding brakes down long descents is bad. they need a heat difference to convert your kinetic energy into thermal energy, and constant rubbing causes heat to continuously build up. breaking in harder bursts with a cooldown between will keep them fresher and prevent fading or damage.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

yeah, all that stuff way overestimates, even with a heart rate monitor

without a power meter, calorie and energy estimates for cycling have the accuracy of newspaper horoscopes

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

is the train ok?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

oh cool, the vehicles marketed towards selfish assholes is driven by murderous assholes.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Dustcat posted:

ha ha
*smoosh*
lol

poor tree :(

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I'm only gonna tell you this one more time: you can't just buy a toilet and poo poo in it. You have to connect it to plumbing.

yeah yeah yeah, that's the same thing the people at home depot keep telling me in their demo hallway. yet the toilets are always clean when i come back

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

yeah that’s like the population of 2 of 40 districts in Istanbul, which has roughly the same area and almost 10 times as many people. pretty sparse

but king county is filled with americans, who are innately selfish brutes with who do not value human life, and are heavily armed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

actionjackson posted:

7/11 still hasn't put up bollards to stop that? lol

most little convenience stores and gas stations around here have them now. usually the little cheaper ones, with half of them bent over from being hit by cars. newer stores have full size 'gently caress your truck' bollards.

it costs money to install bollards, and you know how small business owners are with preventive actions that cost money.