Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Real hurthling! posted:

my italian grandpa would grab freshly molted cicadas off the side of his garage while they were drying their wings and tie string to them and give them to me and the cicada would finish drying on my t shirt and then fly in a circle around me on the string for a while until we let him go.
once we used dental floss.

Great and now all the bugs are going extinct. Thanks a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I was reading about kei trucks and apparently they're total poo poo to drive and maintain and the reason they're banned for import (until they're antiques) is because they have no emission controls compared to a normal US car.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I love this threads perfectly even split between people who hate cars because they hate everything and people who hate cars because they love bicycling.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

mystes posted:

I hate cars but unlike you I guess I have the ability to accept that other people may have different opinions from me

Maybe it would help to make an analogy. I hate reading your posts, and every minute is miserable. But when I get done reading them I think back and I can't think of anything you said, its just a blur. That's what driving professionally is like.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

lol

"Parking around precincts and NYPD facilities is a persistent challenge due to our thriving, complex city and the limited space we all must share. But the NYPD strives each day to achieve a balance as we continue to work toward solutions."

The police is striving each day to achieve a balance between breaking the law and not.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

HashtagGirlboss posted:

One behavior that I like is when they don’t look like they’ll stop for the crosswalk and then at the very last minute they slam on the brakes and glare at you as you cross

I hate this so much. The slow roll where they just won't stop moving towards you. Just stop! It's not saving anyone time.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

cheese eats mouse posted:

I yelled I’m walkin here at a guy who almost hit my dog and me at a stop sign. he was in a lifted jeep of course.

his response was “I didn’t see you”

“that’s your problem!”

That'll happen when you don't look.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Playgrounds need crumple zones

lmfao

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I ran a red light earlier this year. It sucked, I was driving behind a semi truck on a 25mph road, and everyone is packed together super tight, the semi runs the red light and I literally can't see the light because I'm in a tiny car staring up at 18' of trailer. I look up after I'm already in the intersection and its solid red.

Its like, even being 100% attentive and alert you will still eventually make a mistake driving. That's why we need to get rid of cars, they will never be safe no matter what.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The only guaranteed way to violate no traffic laws is to never drive, that's why I went through 1 tank of gas in 5 months.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

khazar sansculotte posted:

Saw a cyber truck on the road today for the first time, those things look and move like soapbox derby cars, which incidentally probably also have better QC. Terrifying.

Good eye, its literally just the optimal wind tunnel design from a 1990s dos game:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Microplastics posted:

Cops are dumb but they're not that dumb, they can put 2 and 2 together and figure out that tinted car = black driver = pull over

Hmm.... I dunno.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Protest self immolation... Welcome to the resistance, 15 cop cars.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I'm pretty sure that in Virginia its legal to u-turn from the left turn late, but you have to know that while you're doing it you're required to yield to drivers who are making a right turn on red. Like they have a red light, you have a green, but they have right of way. Lived there for 5 years never fully figured it out.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

lobster shirt posted:

also later on i was sitting at a two way stop and an oncoming driver also stopped at the intersection and tried to wave me through. wtf just follow the rules of the road, you aren't being nice by behaving unpredictably. people do this when im on my bike or walking too and it's infuriating. especially on busy two way roads, like how the gently caress am i supposed to go when traffic going the other way doesn't and shouldn't stop. just go! i will wait for a gap.

This is such a pet peeve of mine. I stop at stop signs and poo poo when I'm biking and people will wave me through a 4-way stop or whatever even if it means I end up in front of them and now they have to pass me. Sometimes I'll be turning out of a driveway and a person will stop in the middle of the road to wave me in front of them, no other cars anywhere in sight.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Platystemon posted:

Traffic circles don’t have yield signs.

Those are roundabouts.

This is your post?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Once Grok AI finishes training on X the Everything App data it will be able to drive your car with FSD technology so accurately that we won't even need traffic lights.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

DoctorWhat posted:

I had a weirdly positive experience today. I was riding down a local road where the bike lane was obstructed by double parked cars. A commercial vehicle behind me was honking at me - I assumed for ridingin the middle of the road so he couldn't close-pass me - and I was very upset because he could clearly see that the bike lane was obstructed.

But when we got to the crosswalk he'd got my attention and I expected him to be road raging at me. But in fact my rain cape had fallen out of my back basket and he was trying to get my attention so I could retrieve it. I apologized thanked him and pulled onto the sidewalk to walk my bike back and find it.

It got run over several times before I could retrieve it but was in perfectly good condition anyway so I threw it in the wash when I got home and it's fine now. Thanks Good Samaritan! It's a shame so many reckless and self entitled drivers abuse honking and make car horns useless as a way of attracting helpful attention.

This happened to me but my wallet fell out of my backpack and I had no idea. I flipped off the car honking on me and never got it back lol...

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I think really experienced cyclists will understand that the better you are on a bike the slower you're going on a multi-use path.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Let me guess, without looking it up, js-16 is some fourteen words bullshit.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

It should have slicks.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I've personally seen pictures of at least 30 hosed up cybertrucks which is something around 1% of all of them ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

gradenko_2000 posted:

If the bike lane is just paint, it doesn't encourage people to bike because that's not protection and cars will drive on the bike lane anyway

If the bike lane is actually protected with steel or concrete, that's even worse, because the bike is getting used, but now the cars can't even intrude on it

What about these: