Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
cars are an excellent way to imprison old people in their suburban mcmansions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

smarxist posted:

what about cool cars OP?

set it on fire

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

grate deceiver posted:

oh yeah, then how do you explain this

this one too

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Xaris posted:

cars are good and helps marginalized bipoc elderly, dementia patients, and disabled people get around safely. not everyone can figure out a bus timeschedule and its pretty ableist to hate cars

syq from NUMTOTS

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

actionjackson posted:

I wish my city had the carsharing where you just park it anywhere, instead of only in fixed lots. we only have two companies here as well. there are three lots within about 1.5 miles, but they only have four cars total lol

those used to exist and I loved them when I had to actually use a car but they all just evaporated over the pandemic.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

the only solution to cars is to destroy them because roads and parking lots themselves are an environmental disaster hth

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

https://twitter.com/cldellow/status/1429175275179454466

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

the funny part of EV and autonomous cars is that even if you make those two things work perfectly they're still a loving catastrophe for a bunch of other different reasons anyway.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

demolition derbies until there are no cars left seems like a pretty good use of the remaining automobile supply imo

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

twisted metal was eco-utopian

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

i say swears online posted:

modern light rail sucks so bad. austin's line is an absolute joke

maybe you should try using the actual good rail in austin such as the zilker zephyr

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

ArmZ posted:

the fiat 500 is good:

nah

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Lastgirl posted:

things i hate:

1) car

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

duomo posted:

don’t ever ask me or my large dog to walk again

god lol

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

accidents

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

indigi posted:

true lol. I’ve never seen a biker signal they were going to turn or actually stop at stop signs/red lights

docbeard posted:

Every pedestrian: YES WE KNOW

actionjackson posted:

I walked to work for years and gently caress bicyclists who ride on sidewalks

walk crew > bike crew

And like clockwork here come the idiots to scuffle between pedestrians and bicyclists' ownership of 10% of the roadway while cars take up the other 90%

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

docbeard posted:

I don't even drive but go off I guess.

alas, car culture brain comes for us all

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

[After all cars are obliterated]: Oh my god grandma how long does it take you to load your ebike onto the front of hte bus. Hurry the gently caress up I'm late for my brunch meeting at Salt & Spoon [greyhound begins barking uncontrollably].

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

actionjackson posted:

lol u think greyhounds bark

lol u think cyclists are the problem

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

actionjackson posted:

cars are absolutely the problem, but that doesn't mean cyclists are loving perfect angels

some of them clearly have a death wish, however given the world we are living in maybe that's reasonable

drat dude go start the I hate cyclists thread sounds like you have a lot of content ready to go

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

my favorite intersections on bike are the ones with pressure plates that won't ever trigger if you're the only person there. they're perfect during off hours, you can either get off your bike and go hit the beg button on the sidewalk, run the red light, or sit there forever. anyway, the only mode of transportation that exists when designing traffic systems is cars.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Does the bike drive itself around? Does the bike actually weigh 14lbs 15oz, and the rider is a 1oz bird??

Anyway my wife was hit by a bike going the wrong way down a one-way street in brooklyn because bikers are entitled shits that are complete oblivious exactly like car people. Hell cars are actually safer since if you are on the sidewalk you will never see a car coming toward you and expecting you to move.

cry more about bikes in the car thread lmao

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

actionjackson posted:

we should replace all intersections with roundabouts btw, just because people can't fly through them at 90 mph

we have a few around here and it's much less stressful

of course the roundabout will have a machine gun on it to blow up any cars that come near it

car problem solved

roundabouts whip rear end

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

amazing how little solidarity there is in this thread about hating cars. car culture truly is everywhere

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Loucks posted:

Yeah this is where a ton of anti bike bullshit comes from.

I’ve seen this dumb nonsense so many times I bought a Japanese bike bell with a beautiful, calming sound so I could melodiously warn pedestrians on multiuse paths from dozens of yards away.

They still jump and glare daggers like riding by them at like ten miles an hour makes bicyclists an existential threat

Pedestrians are easily frightened because they have been conditioned to be scared of 2000 pound metal machines turning them into paste. I've had people get spooked just running by them because I'm quiet. Now I jingle my keys when I'm passing people like I'm a cat with a bell on my collar so the scared pedestrians know I'm coming.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

austin city councilman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUfXujs8Abs

i love that the guy sitting in traffic, screaming at the cyclist, is the good guy

god absolutely incredible

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

my dad had a tiny 80s mazda truck when I was little and I loved that thing

honestly these trucks are pretty cute, but alas they must be set on fire as well

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

actionjackson posted:

we had someone renting in our building that was the only person that never wore a mask in the common areas all the way back to when covid started last march

he had some people over and one had a lifted ford raptor lmfao, similar to this

also it had a camo print on the headrests

Make sure to wear a helmet that way when one of these things smashes you into a paste without the driver feeling anything people posting on the facebook articles about your death won't say "where was their helmet???"

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Look at all those loving jays walking across the street

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Try living in a place with hills before you admonish ebikes. Take the batteries away and everyone is back in their car except for the people that cycle athletically.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

https://twitter.com/DaveWeasel/status/1469483009430614021

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

There is a fancy Mercedes in my city-permitted no parking zone. It has a vanity plate with a bald eagle on it

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

PeterCat posted:

Does it cause any dissonance that the US is turning its old railroad infrastructure into bike paths?

https://www.railstotrails.org/

Yeah, every time I'm on one. They're usually the best easy-access trails in an urban area.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Freeway driving is a high stakes fluid dynamics simulation and your goal is to not cause any turbulent flow.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Cugel the Clever posted:

+1. Never got rear-ended or pulled over. Just set it and forget it (conditions allowing). The more people that take the approach, the more likely it'll be that others will follow suit.

This is a great way to increase the risk to drivers far behind you by generating traffic waves. Not like you'll ever notice, though.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

mawarannahr posted:

every day it blows my mind that

- it’s murderous to drive at speeds greater than 40 mph

- it’s suicidal at 55 mph

- this is normal

The crossover point for murdering instead of maiming pedestrians and cyclists is around 20mph. Which is why the universal speed limit for anything not on rails should be 20mph. Bicycles are allowed to go faster though, as a treat.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Cugel the Clever posted:

If I'm maintaining a steady speed indefinitely, it's the other people who are causing the traffic waves :shrug:

If you - the particle - are moving at a lower velocity than the fluid - the traffic flow - you are generating a traffic wave. The fact that this is hard to grasp is why freeway driving is suicidal.

You're also safer the less often there's someone in your blind spot or passing you in a different lane because you have another degree of freedom in the event that something unforeseen happens.

Notorious R.I.M. has issued a correction as of 01:35 on Feb 4, 2022

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

Look at that huge gaping scar on the Earth we call "a parking lot". Just a massive swathe of Nothing, a sucking void in the midst of scenery.

Please, it is a concrete floodplain caused by natural traffic meanders.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Been thinking about a poem recently that was made for this thread.

I Know a Man
By Robert Creeley

As I sd to my
friend, because I am
always talking,—John, I

sd, which was not his
name, the darkness sur-
rounds us, what

can we do against
it, or else, shall we &
why not, buy a goddamn big car,

drive, he sd, for
christ’s sake, look
out where yr going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Cugel the Clever posted:

Full enclosure, sound dampening, tinted windows, etc. all contribute to the driver's feeling of being alone, disconnected from the human beings around them to the extent that they're seen as obstacles to be overcome, at best, and deadly enemies, at worst.

The amount of soundproofing in modern vehicles is loving wild. Truly an incredible feat of science.