Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
[After all cars are obliterated]: Oh my god grandma how long does it take you to load your ebike onto the front of hte bus. Hurry the gently caress up I'm late for my brunch meeting at Salt & Spoon [greyhound begins barking uncontrollably].

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Fitzy Fitz posted:

to me, this is like describing the brightness of flashlights in terms of "candles"

sorry i'm a canadian engineer so i only work in metric

put simply - energy transfer kills you and cars have waaaaaaaay more energy to transfer than bikes

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

[After all cars are obliterated]: Oh my god grandma how long does it take you to load your ebike onto the front of hte bus. Hurry the gently caress up I'm late for my brunch meeting at Salt & Spoon [greyhound begins barking uncontrollably].

lol u think greyhounds bark

just curious what kind of pedestrian k/d ratio you guys got while on your bike

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

actionjackson posted:

lol u think cyclists are the problem

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

lol u think cyclists are the problem

cars are absolutely the problem, but that doesn't mean cyclists are loving perfect angels

some of them clearly have a death wish, however given the world we are living in maybe that's reasonable

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

actionjackson posted:

cars are absolutely the problem, but that doesn't mean cyclists are loving perfect angels

some of them clearly have a death wish, however given the world we are living in maybe that's reasonable

drat dude go start the I hate cyclists thread sounds like you have a lot of content ready to go

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

[After all cars are obliterated]: Oh my god grandma how long does it take you to load your ebike onto the front of hte bus. Hurry the gently caress up I'm late for my brunch meeting at Salt & Spoon.

I have definitely seen broadly this conversation happen before, haha. (Though if you really want to see some peoples' true colors on a bus, let someone in a wheelchair get onboard.)

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

vyelkin posted:

one time an old lady in my city died after being hit by a bicycle and it made the news for what felt like weeks, meanwhile there were hundreds of annual deaths from people being hit by cars that nobody even bothered to report on because it's just expected

like 8 years ago a grandma got turned into paste in Madison WI because she tried to cross over the front of the city bus after getting out at her stop. like you said, it had weeks of news and loads of Discourse about it, but absolutely nothing about all the drunk driving deaths or anything

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
friends, friends, let not the car divide us

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

drat dude go start the I hate cyclists thread sounds like you have a lot of content ready to go

i bent over to pick up something shiny, a cyclist ran right into my rear end and the wheel got stuck, had to go to the ER but no beds due to covid, still like this today

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

like 8 years ago a grandma got turned into paste in Madison WI because she tried to cross over the front of the city bus after getting out at her stop. like you said, it had weeks of news and loads of Discourse about it, but absolutely nothing about all the drunk driving deaths or anything

I do remember back when I lived in Virginia, one of the interstates that went through the mountains was prone, whenever it was foggy, to 40-50 car pileups that were basically the only accidents that ever got any press coverage (outside of, I guess, traffic reporting). It happened about once or twice a year, if that, but it was all anyone would ever talk about.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

actionjackson posted:

That's just people being people tho. Cars are a big honking systemic problem.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Polo-Rican posted:

This is a feature not a bug! drivers used to be much more visible in older cars... the first cars were essentially convertibles. As time has gone on, car design has evolved to make the driver more anonymous. when's the last time you saw a convertible for sale?

Back in my car driving days (may the goddess forgive me) there was a period where I daily drove a 1979 fiat spider convertible in the deep south. I can't be bothered to dig up a pic but they make a Miata look big. It was amazing how many people would just roll down their windows and start chatting at a stoplight.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

vyelkin posted:

i
i hate
i hate cars

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Fitzy Fitz posted:

We need an urbanism thread too

just make one its easy

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

if i'm gonna make a thread it'll be about landlords

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

indigi posted:

drivers are dumb for sure but I’ve seen far more bikers drive directly into a stationary object and wipe out so idk if they’re any better

this is why u need rails !!

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

intersection of car covid conspiracy theory threads (skip to 40 seconds)

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1377053373212528641

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

docbeard posted:

Just wait til the thread finds out that sometimes people get hit by trains.

Oh god when I was in grade 5 a car tried to swerve through a train crossing in our town and got hit by the train and flung into the sidewalk where it killed one of my classmates and like half of their family. Been terrified of cars running railroad crossing ever since. Like even today I stop on my bike hundreds of meters back when a train is going through.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

And like clockwork here come the idiots to scuffle between pedestrians and bicyclists' ownership of 10% of the roadway while cars take up the other 90%

bicyclists only make it more unsafe for themselves when they ignore signaling and red lights but w/e, die mad

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

actionjackson posted:

:hmmyes:

drivers definitely the worst, bicyclists still not much better!

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

a guy once accelerated towards me as I crossed a roundabout as a pedestrian. I jumped out of the way and he stopped and said something aggressive i couldnt make out, then i flipped him off, he got this weird surprised look on his face and drove off.

Motorists are deranged

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

actionjackson posted:

just curious what kind of pedestrian k/d ratio you guys got while on your bike

I've only ever hit one pedestrian and it was the worst bike wreck I've ever had. This 300lb guy was on the sidewalk and I was on the road coming down a hill on my way to class. Out of nowhere he just stepped out into the road right in front of me. No crosswalk or anything. I tried to dodge and glanced one handle bar off his shoulder sending me into the curb at about 40km/h. Damage was bent frame, tacod wheel, busted derailleur, ripped pants and road rash all over hands, legs and forearms.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

and his name was Donald Trump and the rest was history

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Leroy Diplowski posted:

I've only ever hit one pedestrian and it was the worst bike wreck I've ever had. This 300lb guy was on the sidewalk and I was on the road coming down a hill on my way to class. Out of nowhere he just stepped out into the road right in front of me. No crosswalk or anything. I tried to dodge and glanced one handle bar off his shoulder sending me into the curb at about 40km/h. Damage was bent frame, tacod wheel, busted derailleur, ripped pants and road rash all over hands, legs and forearms.

good, you shouldn’t have hit him

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Man Musk posted:

intersection of car covid conspiracy theory threads (skip to 40 seconds)

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1377053373212528641

:sickos:

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

indigi posted:

good, you shouldn’t have hit him

If I was a car he'd be dead

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Leroy Diplowski posted:

If I was a car he'd be dead

ok, you shouldn’t hit him if you’re a car either

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

indigi posted:

ok, you shouldn’t hit him if you’re a car either

Agreed, and also if I was a train or a pram or bowling ball or a porpoise or anything else with mass and velocity.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ_Logfsfuw

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

that's not a greyhound

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

vyelkin posted:

a pedestrian was struck in a car-involved traffic collision

"They died with covid car"
not "they died of covid car"

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

when you hit someone with your bike do you get bonus xp for the non-lethal takedown

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

I mounted retractable blades to the wheel hubs on my bike so that whenever I come across a good sized knot of pedestrians I can swerve onto the sidewalk and buzzsaw through their shins in one big combo

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

indigi posted:

bicyclists only make it more unsafe for themselves when they ignore signaling and red lights but w/e, die mad

I'm probably more dogmatic about following traffic rules than most people on bikes, but the infrastructure simply isn't built for non-cars, so it's very frustrating. For example, there's bumper-to-bumper traffic on the main street outside my neighborhood every morning. Not a single gap. You'd sit there forever if you were going to follow traffic laws. In my car I can just force my way into the line because at least I'll live if something goes wrong. I can't do that on a bike (I might die), so I take the sidewalk down to a crosswalk where I can wait for the walk signal to give me enough of a gap to hop onto the street. My bike also doesn't trigger some of our traffic lights, so I have to run them.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I'm probably more dogmatic about following traffic rules than most people on bikes, but the infrastructure simply isn't built for non-cars, so it's very frustrating. For example, there's bumper-to-bumper traffic on the main street outside my neighborhood every morning. Not a single gap. You'd sit there forever if you were going to follow traffic laws. In my car I can just force my way into the line because at least I'll live if something goes wrong. I can't do that on a bike (I might die), so I take the sidewalk down to a crosswalk where I can wait for the walk signal to give me enough of a gap to hop onto the street. My bike also doesn't trigger some of our traffic lights, so I have to run them.

yeah that sucks, in Philly on most major roads we have dedicated bike lanes (which aren’t good enough imo, should at least be protected by a curb somehow) and the intersections with triggers don’t activate until off-peak hours which seems like a better system if you’re trying to encourage bike use

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Mr. Sharps posted:

I mounted retractable blades to the wheel hubs on my bike so that whenever I come across a good sized knot of pedestrians I can swerve onto the sidewalk and buzzsaw through their shins in one big combo

your laurel wreath is in the mail

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

traffic lights should be finger-activated

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

actionjackson posted:

that's not a greyhound

correct, it is an italian greyhound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I had a friend who whenever he came up to a red light that had emergency sensors on it would start flashing his high beams to try to trick it into changing. it never worked. then he developed a form of cancer only 4 people in the US have ever had and died. owned