Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

But for real people can develop phobias at any age. Allergies too. Unlike allergies, I think phobias are very treatable. It's the one thing cognitive-behavioral therapy is really good at. Something really high like 90% phobia remission.

yep!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

cars ftl

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

cars are fail

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

webcams for christ posted:

all the while the vid is up on autoplay in the literal Schadenfreude GBS thread lmao

"Post stuff that brings you dark joy"

very cool

Scheinheiligkeit more like

agreed, cspam should be more like gbs

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

mawarannahr's posts raise an interesting point about whether it would have made a difference if people saw the inside of hospitals during the peaks of covid

the argument he made about the ethics of needing to watch car crashes is more or less the same one people made in the covid thread when someone requested the sickest grossest vids you got, people crying over their dead children in the hospital, or w/e, and it's why I stopped reading the covid thread because that's psycho poo poo.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

mawarannahr posted:

you can't steal see the virus. you can see a car

there aren't really any videos of the type you name in the COVID thread iirc. considering the history of automobile death, another mediatized threat of pandemic proportions, i think the general forum attitude contradicts the history, where "local reformers tended to add the expression of grief and anger to the practical goal of accident prevention, and their warnings often included vivid or macabre depictions of the bloody consequences of accidents," and "images of death or severe injury were sometimes practical warnings."

idk if this is a western thing or what -- in turkey they bombard you on front page newspaper and prime time TV with photos of children riddled with bullets they say were killed by "baby killer" Abdullah Öcalan (my earliest media memories together with gulf war 1 bush). maybe my reaction is not normal here, nobody should grow up with such footage every day. but I think death is all around you and you shouldn't fear the image of death itself; the reason the Ukraine thread is messed up again is how it feeds back into it (same with images of self harm and school shootings). we do live in a deadly world.

e: you'll note I'm not posting such videos here and mostly reply with stupid comments, but for those who want to share them you can't deny their relevance unless you are misunderstanding the topic. good vibes to you though.

the reason the war gore poo poo was bad is that watching people die fucks your brain up, like the guy who posted about developing a pavlovian response to red mist videos, and it's always justified with this posting is praxis reasoning about how it's morally necessary to watch gore on the comedy forum. you literally suggested that people who don't want to watch gore have a dulled sense of empathy; i'm pretty sure it's the other way around. i also do not want to watch children riddled with bullets on the comedy politics forum and i assure you it is not because my empathy is dulled. what in the world

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

its the same exact arguments you saw gbs types making in the feedback thread. people did the same thing in the pictures thread when they were asked to stop posting police brutality and shooting videos. who is unironically posting in cspam who thinks all these things are good?

you dont have to come up with some hypothetical situation where posting a video of an insane crash is needed, just dont post them

this

cars are still fail. metro ftw

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

sent a pm

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

good: posting about how dangerous, violent, and farcical car culture is.
bad: posting car crash videos.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

cars are fail

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Adjectivist Philosophy posted:

you can agree a dangerous situation shouldn't exist without putting a child's life at risk to prove the point. sorry if this is 2 controversial 4 u

aids

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

gbs brain

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Weka posted:

It is my opinion that it is Australians that are the real problem here.

the I Hate Australians megathread

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Terminal autist posted:

I guess I need to lurk more but i dont think I really get this thread

cars are fail

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

NeatHeteroDude posted:

while you are trolling i'd like to point out that mace is insanely disabling. on my third date with the now wife, i thought she had a cool toy pistol (bright pink, clear) in her nightstand and started james bond aiming it around the room. as it turns out, it was a Remington mace gel/oil shooter and while waving it around i somehow disabled the safety and fired a big shot that grazed off the top of my hand and splattered on the wall.

the gel is blood red and gives off an incredibly toxic fume that made the whole room uninhabitable without ppe for like 24 hours. even while running to the bathroom to wash it (i thought i had shot myself with a pellet gun or something), the small amount of it on my hand paralyzed my lungs and blinded me for like 15 seconds before my wife got me a good mask. can't imagine being shot in the face or chest with it and taking the full dose

lmfao

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

NeatHeteroDude posted:

gladwell is a famous author, historian, mathematician, economist, and many other things. perhaps you could challenge his ideas rather than sling ad hominems?

gladwell ftl

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

something I've been thinking about lately is how non-car methods of getting around afford you much more of an ability to just stop

yeah thinking about society in terms of affordances is an underrated path to madness. read theory (gibson)

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

duomo posted:

don’t forget the people who get their lawns spray painted green in the summer

https://twitter.com/thesun/status/1439637912958636032?s=46&t=f4W3_Imk2uoLG9S3bl37LQ

:kstare:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

ait is a fascist

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Ham Equity posted:

I don't think it's a great idea, but in the grand scheme of things, as far as potential dangers to other people, it's probably less damaging than being a smoker, though getting yourself hit or severely hurting yourself in front of someone else can be pretty traumatizing, which is lovely.

But it isn't anywhere close to drunk driving, not by several orders of magnitude. It's a kind of lovely thing to do.

smoking ftw

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The rental scooters and bikes in San Juan PR were cool because you couldn't deactivate them unless they were in a designated spot, and there are areas of the city where they won't work. So you personally pay if you don't use them responsibly. The locals were also really helpful by aggressively honking at us when we strayed from the allowed area. Thanks!!

same here. you also have to wear a bike helmet or it's a $200 fine.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

how the hell is a tourist going to have a helmet for a rental?

they're not, we just can't legally make them illegal. it's very danish. we also killed uber by requiring app taxis to have taxi equipment.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

mawarannahr posted:

what's taxi equipment?

Erdogan banned Uber. Erdogan ftw

pressure sensors in the seats and other stuff I forget you won't have unless you're a taxi company. we can't legally ban them because of the EU so we do this instead.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

yep

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

so what I'm hearing is scooters are fat phobic and ableist.

that's why they're good

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

silicone thrills posted:

I didnt know i was powerful enough to just walk into someone and kill them.

Or walk through a house and kill a sleeping family.

skill issue

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

One of the hardest parts of riding a bike is actually accepting that you do not have to be going as fast as possible at all times.

you do

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Jordan Peterson is mentally ill in ways that the psychiatric profession doesn't have words for

he's captain kirk but for mental illness instead of space

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

saw a bumblebee that got run over by a car somehow. time to destroyu them (cars)

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Xaris posted:

I haven’t seen a bumblebee in like 8 years

lots of bumblebees here. love them.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

FirstnameLastname posted:

if you love them so much why don't you marry them

i'm spoken for, but there is room in my heart for bumblebees

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

DaysBefore posted:

Winter is great because all the car companies put out ads like 'We are AT WAR with Winter, and you need the Biggest Weapon in order to win the fight. Contact your local RAM dealer today' and then you look outside (the place where grass is fyi) and it's just an endless procession of trucks going suburb - well plowed highway - office and back lol

we're winning the war on winter.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Ham Equity posted:

So, while they perceive this as what is happening, it is most likely not. The way the brain handles long-term memory is that it retains things that are important, and dumps things that are not; think of your long-term memory as your hard disk, and your short-term memory as your RAM. If it's a thing you have done a bunch of times before that you really didn't learn anything new from this time you did it, as soon as you're done, your brain takes the short-term memory of that drive and basically erases it, assuming you don't need it.

The older you are, the more this happens (because the more things you've experienced that your brain doesn't feel the need to keep). Afterwards, it feels like you just zoned out and the time passed super fast, because you have no memory of it.

memory does not work this way lol

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

A huge fraction of the population does this. It's terrifying looking at drivers in public now.

i crossed on a red light a red light recently because there weren't any cars in either direction, and when I got across there was a cop car, but he was checking his phone so I didn't get a fine. many sides.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

there’s a street light with a button you press at a street near me. it’s not that busy outside of rush hour and I usually don’t really need to press it, but I like to press it anyway to annoy drivers.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Zapf Dingbat posted:

The news has warned us that Waymo is coming to our city. What can I expect?

maximum overdrive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

that's not an adult