Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Number_6 posted:

I love cars

It's people that are the problem

cars don’t run over people, people run over people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

i say swears online posted:

nobody google the zilker zephyr

but it has such a cool name. I want to know what it looks like

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I’m in a car vroom vroom

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

You can get DUI's on a bike. loving ridiculous.

not really, I’ve had two drunk bikers drive directly into my stopped car at a light in Philadelphia. of course none of them have insurance and i just had to deal with the scratches/dent myself but at least nobody got seriously injured. it’s dangerous and stupid, take a loving bus they have bike racks up front

e: and actually both happened at intersections where there’s a 24/7 bus and very late subway line so there’s no real excuse

indigi has issued a correction as of 19:11 on Sep 20, 2021

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Smythe posted:

ya i got one... ur freakin wife lol. :w00t:

he’s heating up….

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

not only do I want to ban cars but now I want to ban purebreds too

yeah if people are going to be this stupid about it greyhounds gotta go

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

docbeard posted:

aj your dog looks like a sweetheart

greyhounds are one of the ugliest breeds actually

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

wtf is congestion pricing

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Xaris posted:

tolls but only during rush hours

it means u price da poors out so only rich maserrati drivers can plow through pedestrians without having to worry about traffic because paying $40 for a congestion toll isn't even a rounding error

tbf out of all the us cities "planning" that poo poo, nyc is the only one that actually makes any sense because you can take transit anywhere and there's peripheral parking on transit hubs. but they should abolish driving entirely

tolls where, like on bridges/tunnels, so if you stay in your borough(s) you’re basically fine? or just random streets?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Xaris posted:

implementation varies. usually it's travelling through neighborhoods/districts/areas at various license-plate-billing-tracking systems (like fastrak or ezpass or w/e) point of entries and exits because that's the cheapest place to put as minimum as possible, but can sometimes specific streets even just one street, or all* the streets.

wow I bet the nypd doesn’t abuse this information at all

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

drivers are dumb for sure but I’ve seen far more bikers drive directly into a stationary object and wipe out so idk if they’re any better

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

you can't see any potential difference

yeah I see way more cars on a day to day basis so the rate stats on bike crashes have to be insane

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Suplex Liberace posted:

I have seen more cars maim people than I have cyclists falling down due to their own stupidity.

that’s wild. I’ve never seen anyone maimed buy a car, the few accidents I’ve seen happen everyone walked away from (not counting horrific highway accident aftermaths, I’m sure some people got dead there)

e: oh I did see someone on a motorcycle wipe out at an intersection and have their head run over. it was fuckin so much blood. but thankfully the helmet just deformed instead of cracking open and spared me seeing the worst. that counts as a car accident imo

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Polo-Rican posted:

This is a feature not a bug! drivers used to be much more visible in older cars... the first cars were essentially convertibles. As time has gone on, car design has evolved to make the driver more anonymous. when's the last time you saw a convertible for sale?

yeah it has to do with anonymization and not safety. you’re right. I never see convertibles every single day on the highway

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

docbeard posted:

Every pedestrian: YES WE KNOW

true lol. I’ve never seen a biker signal they were going to turn or actually stop at stop signs/red lights

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

you can also just dig and put the parking under the earth. but that’s far less preferable to good public transit

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Polo-Rican posted:

I remember the old days when people claimed they were buying suvs because of "safety"... does anyone actually bother with that bullshit excuse any more lol

it's also the most antisocial type of safety imaginable — "I'll be safe (at the expense of everyone else)." a big reason pedestrian and cyclist deaths have gone up recently is because these "safer" vehicles obliterate anyone on foot

who said anything about SUVs

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

hmm, maybe gently caress drivers who make streets unsafe for bikes

because someone made something unsafe for me I will therefore make something unsafe for others. I’m very smart

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Polo-Rican posted:

a common brain problem among drivers is assuming that pedestrians and cyclists are completely different groups, as if cyclists don't also walk places, or people who walk can't also ride a bike

you seem to be missing a key brain component

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

And like clockwork here come the idiots to scuffle between pedestrians and bicyclists' ownership of 10% of the roadway while cars take up the other 90%

bicyclists only make it more unsafe for themselves when they ignore signaling and red lights but w/e, die mad

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

actionjackson posted:

cars are absolutely the problem, but that doesn't mean cyclists are loving perfect angels

some of them clearly have a death wish, however given the world we are living in maybe that's reasonable

:hmmyes:

drivers definitely the worst, bicyclists still not much better!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Leroy Diplowski posted:

I've only ever hit one pedestrian and it was the worst bike wreck I've ever had. This 300lb guy was on the sidewalk and I was on the road coming down a hill on my way to class. Out of nowhere he just stepped out into the road right in front of me. No crosswalk or anything. I tried to dodge and glanced one handle bar off his shoulder sending me into the curb at about 40km/h. Damage was bent frame, tacod wheel, busted derailleur, ripped pants and road rash all over hands, legs and forearms.

good, you shouldn’t have hit him

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Leroy Diplowski posted:

If I was a car he'd be dead

ok, you shouldn’t hit him if you’re a car either

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I'm probably more dogmatic about following traffic rules than most people on bikes, but the infrastructure simply isn't built for non-cars, so it's very frustrating. For example, there's bumper-to-bumper traffic on the main street outside my neighborhood every morning. Not a single gap. You'd sit there forever if you were going to follow traffic laws. In my car I can just force my way into the line because at least I'll live if something goes wrong. I can't do that on a bike (I might die), so I take the sidewalk down to a crosswalk where I can wait for the walk signal to give me enough of a gap to hop onto the street. My bike also doesn't trigger some of our traffic lights, so I have to run them.

yeah that sucks, in Philly on most major roads we have dedicated bike lanes (which aren’t good enough imo, should at least be protected by a curb somehow) and the intersections with triggers don’t activate until off-peak hours which seems like a better system if you’re trying to encourage bike use

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I had a friend who whenever he came up to a red light that had emergency sensors on it would start flashing his high beams to try to trick it into changing. it never worked. then he developed a form of cancer only 4 people in the US have ever had and died. owned

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

i slipped on a flooded low water crossing once and that's the only time i've hurt myself or others in about fifteen thousand miles of biking. people on mixed-use paths get extremely freaked out if they're in the middle or wrong side of the walk and i have to pass awkwardly. i have a loud-rear end bell but it's not gonna overcome earbuds plus instagram

is it annoying to mount a bluetooth to a bike? i used to blast music while exercising so i wouldn't have to wear earbuds and people actually paid attention to me

it seems fine on a bike, I can’t stand it when people do it at the loving gym though

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

oh my god people do that indoors? lmao isn't there already music blaring from the ceiling at most places?

yes there's already music playing. it's one of the human behaviors I'm fully unable to comprehend. just get bluetooth headphones you dork

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

thetan_guy42 posted:

All the bike complainers are big time projecting. The fringe case bicycle pedestrian collisions happen because both cyclists and pedestrians are forced into sharing a smaller space

nobody’s forcing anyone to bike on the sidewalk. if you feel safer on the sidewalk get off the bike and walk with it

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Polo-Rican posted:

drat that's crazy you saw a guy with headphones? imagine if literally every car driver was blasting music with their windows up

nobody blasts music anymore they blast podcasts

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I caught a probe recently for bitch lol

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Illinois get's like 54% of it's power from Nuclear Energy. loving owns.

Also the Texas grid is more reliable then the hell that is California and their 3rd-world "rolling brownouts," plus the Texas grid is heavily powered by wind and also nuclear energy.

Anyway, nuclear powered bullet trains. I want to get door-to-door from brooklyn to a friend in SF in under 4hours.

at that speed you can put windmills on the top of the train and it will be able to power itself for most of the trip…. genius

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

even under his ridiculous framework there’s no reason not to connect the Midwest and east coast with a Philly-Pittsburgh-Chicago branch, or DC-Charlotte-Atlanta

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/1441105023606214660?s=20

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Nocturtle posted:

This thread has got me paranoid about the exhaust fumes from the constant traffic outside my building, so thanks for that. Could those jury-rigged box fan+filter cube assemblies help, or is it futile?

lol

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

30th street connects to all the Philly regional rail and is half a block away from a subway line

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I also love regulations that are trivially easy for the wealthy to ignore

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

a.lo posted:

that 16 year old will never be able to drive his truck again

lol

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Xaris posted:

passing in the right lane is praxis

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Loucks posted:

Is QCS going hog wild over some new dumb poo poo again?

the goon who kept saying “why don’t we start shooting” in the cool zone thread last year shot at some proud boys as he ran away from a protest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

https://nypost.com/2021/09/27/antifa-member-benjamin-varela-charged-with-shooting-protester/