Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

i was the only person who bike commuted to a workplace in oklahoma, and someone deflated my tires as a prank. i particularly remember my dad telling me not be angry when i told him about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

when i lived in georgia, i nearly got hit by cars in a crosswalk multiple times a week while running my dog or running to work. i looked up what would happen if i chucked a cherry tomato at a car that almost killed us, and the charge was basically domestic terrorism.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Electric cars are just really big remote control cars, and they are going to get cheaper, and cheaper. And people are just going to crash them and get another one like whatever.

That formerly safe single family house in the middle of the street is going to need a big old rock on their front yard to protect it from loving drivers.

true. in my town, a rich college student was speeding on a residential street, totaled his Tesla, and the batteries went flying through people's windows. that's when i learned, that Teslas had a bunch of small batteries.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

i mean it's a bicycle, michael, how long could it be, 3 feet?

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

wow, that dock is not bird friendly.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

lmao in oregon its legal to right turn on red arrows too

left on red on one way streets too!

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

leftist heap posted:

this style of hunting was basically invented by some idiot biologists and has absolutely no evidence for humans actually doing it lol

i ran down an impala as a grad student :shrug:

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

it's been recurring that when i run my neighborhood loop with my dog, i nearly get run over at the roundabout crosswalk (where all the cars are already yielding to other cars), because people just wave at me and don't yield. two carbrains did it in a row today.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

distortion park posted:

just a normal day in the greatest city in the world

all that cardboard :(

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

just checked to see if nyc had commingled recycling...lol, no

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Peanut President posted:

its really funny because I grew up in a small town in Indiana with communal trash and recycling. You have to drive but its meant to serve the town and rural community together and its actually rather convenient. Only problem is since it's upscaled for a town they have it out on the outskirts so people don't bitch about the smell.

It's literally a bunch of dumpsters in a gravel lot but it was so weird to live in a dark red part of a red state that had designated sorting for Glass, Plastic, Cardboard, Newspapers, Tin, and even Motor Oil and Antifreeze:

i used one of those in oklahoma, but every time i was there some random person would tell me that this all went to the landfill anyway

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Ham Equity posted:

I work at a hospital, and they just sent out an email about how they're moving some patients around because we're overcrowded right now (lucky the pandemic is over) and it's the most trauma-intense weekend of the year.

"this is the time of year when the general public decides to dabble in explosives."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMx09VNu8rk

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

probably my best 4th of july was riding bikes with my ex through showers of firework sparks and smoke on streets that kids were setting off to watch the fireworks downtown along the riverfront.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

this one guy has a cool logging road cycling blog, and there are two fundamental axioms:

The Fundamental Axiom
Do not explore downhill.

The MORE Fundamental Axiom
NEVER ARGUE WITH ARMED STRANGERS ABOUT ANYTHING, FOR ANY REASON, ESPECIALLY IN, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, CASES WHEN THEY ARE ENGAGED IN OBVIOUSLY STUPID ACTIVITIES WITH THEIR GUNS

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

https://twitter.com/ripkarter/status/1543677024052584453?s=20&t=OVMmldnh3QtMi0znbiJGag

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

how isn't attempted murder in there

thanks, sent a small donation. on the way to a saturday shift once in georgia, had a nutter pull up alongside me screaming at me and worried he might shoot me. either a bernie or gay bumper sticker set him off the best i could figure.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

biked for the first time since moving to a new neighborhood, and the bike lanes are just filled with gravel while the roads are clear. definitely need to carry a patch kit with me when riding to work.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

i was the only bike commuter when i lived in oklahoma, and pickup trucks frequently threatened to run me over, and i had an open pop bottle thrown in my face and it spilled all over me as i was riding to my going away party. when i moved back to oregon, my first pickup interaction was a guy trying to turn and he was over the bike path from his driveway, and he backed up and apologized profusely. felt so good to be back.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

lol, i was running with my dog across a 4 lane crosswalk, and when i cleared the first lane a car making a right lurched behind me, and i turned around in surprise and he stopped and gave me a death glare. i then gestured at the crosswalk sign in disbelief. driving is hard.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

on a run last month, this horse had a diarrhea and it was unending on the trail. maybe they should have turned around and called it a day.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

been meaning to this for awhile, but i slapped a hood of a car sitting in the MUP crosswalk at a red light as i crossed. i had another chance on the commute home, but the kid had is window opened and just said fail as i swerved around. almost got hit after getting milk from the store this morning from an suv coasting through the crosswalk to sneak in a right turn on a redlight lmao. support the troops because they put their own lives in danger, but i do that everyday just trying to bike around town.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

it is demonic. a beautiful area, still capable of being preserved, turned into loving coney island of the rockies. i hate it.

i live an hour away and have no desire to go there at all during the summer

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

yesterday, i saw a truck cutoff a little girl riding a bike in an intersection, and she turned around and gave them the finger :blessed:

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

nowhere is safe.

quote:

The group, a nonprofit organization with trained volunteers who assist in recovering stuck off-roaders around the state, first got the call about the stuck motorist on August 27 through their dispatch line. According to McBryde, the driver of the Arkansas-tagged vehicle, which The Drive identified as a GMC Canyon AT4, apparently “missed a sign” and drove up the increasingly precipitous hiking trail until his rear wheel slipped on the scree field and slid off the trail. While he managed to hike down into the nearby town of Alma, the truck remained trapped there, high on the slopes of Mt. Lincoln.
https://www.backpacker.com/news-and-events/news/truck-stuck-colorado-fourteener-decalibron-loop/

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Ham Equity posted:

I wonder how much damage the truck and the bobcat did to the mountain?

drove right through a bristlecone pine scenic area...sure it's fine

quote:

Bristlecone Pine Scenic Area is located atop Windy Ridge at the eastern foot of Mount Bross. The winds from which the ridge gets its name have caused the trees to take on their weathered appearance. A native of the Rocky Mountains, these conifers are found at elevations that exceed 8,000 feet and are often found right at timberline. Colorado contains the most easterly found environments for bristlecone pines in the United States. This scenic area was established in 1967 to protect a unique grove of beautifully formed bristlecones, some of which are 800 years old.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

noise pollution fucks wildlife too. they are communicating for survival vs. whatever humans are doing with the soundscape.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

"no, she was 26 anyway. she had limited value."

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

strange, when i had the crosswalk sign while running with my dog this morning, the semi sped up through the intersection on red.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

epilogue to the truck abandoned on the colorado mountain. big surprise, the guy was a huge rear end in a top hat:

https://www.advnture.com/news/pickup-truck-on-14er-removed

quote:

The truck's owner, believed to be stationed with the Air Force in Colorado Springs, initially balked at the price of having the truck extracted by Vail-based Mountain Recovery. Instead, he enlisted the services of Colorado 4 X 4, a non-profit recovery service, who shared in a Facebook post that their team of eight volunteers were unsuccessful despite a massive amount of manpower.

"Overall, our team put in a total of 132-man hours and drove a total of 1,480 miles to assist the owner of this vehicle."
In the meantime, the Vail Daily reports that the truck's owner became tired of waiting, and returned to Mountain Recovery on September 1 to ask for help.
The owner of Mountain Recovery, Charlie Stubblefield, did not disclose the exact invoice that the truck owner was sent, but said that such services begin at a hefty $1,600.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

my favorite part was that he was getting impatient. maybe don't expect to drive your truck for a few weeks (or ever again) if you hosed up this bad.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

the death panel podcast has had a lot of fat-acceptance episodes, and i can't quite onboard with their argument that being inclusive equates watching netflix on the couch all afternoon with running a marathon. we inhabit biological bodies that are evolutionary primed to be on the move for survival.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

in my town's reddit, there was a post about how cute it was that everyone left their trucks running when they went into the store since everyone trusts each other to not steal vehicles. CO2 ppm goes up.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

apatite posted:

Ben Goldfarb wrote a new book, https://wwnorton.com/books/9781324005896

Hope it is as good as Eager, which I would recommend

i run this ranch road once a week, and there were so many smashed gopher snakes yesterday. just trying to warm up with the weakening autumn sun :(

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

there's a small roundabout in my neighborhood where the inner circle is like a sidewalk that is almost flush with the outer road circle. twice now while walking my dog, i've seen cars just fly straight through through over the sidewalk portion instead of making the bend.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

it's still cornfields on the satellite. a larger roundabout nearby has a giant gravel pile in the middle, and every three months someone drives over the top of it and fills the roundabout with gravel tracks.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

walking my dog this morning, i stopped at the crosswalk and the car in the far lane stopped. i started walking and then they floored it through the intersection. sorry, i like this thread to trauma dump about heavy metal monsters trying to kill me every time i step outside.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

these stupid fuckers can't help but create MyCrimes.txt in every available text format.

ALL IS GREAT, i say after murdering someone

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

i did my first run commute with my dog today. the MUP crosses roads multiple times, and i entered the crosswalk when a woman driving in the right turn lane was slowly approaching the stop sign figuring she would stop. nope, she almost slow rolled into us until i yelled at her, and then she waved back at me. i feel like i am the "pay attention" fairy giving all these idiot drivers a fright when i'm biking or running, but so many close call encounters seem like bad odds for me.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

FirstnameLastname posted:

not blaming u but: always watch the near turn lane when crossing the road & make eye contact with the driver if possible

making eye contact w drivers is the best way to make sure they're paying attention and aware of you, not just to check if they're looking, it's a cue that you're paying special attention to what they're doing - most people will instinctively pay closer attention back to figure out why, this makes them much less likely to drive into you

where i live, the cops don't enforce any traffic laws, so many vehicles have impenetrable tinted windows, and it's impossible to make eye contact...super fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

in the middle of the crosswalk running with my dog, and a truck ripped right and almost hit us. when i yelled at him for almost murdering us, the young white supremacist-looking and wearing sunglasses when it was cloudy dark driver just coldly stared at me and gave me the finger from the steering wheel, and i screamed gently caress you as he sped away. i hope all the intersection bystanders enjoyed the show.