Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jestery posted:

This morning in my local city

Idiot
Welcome to every bike line in the US 99.9% of the time (sometimes even legally or semi-officially condoned).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

indigi posted:

you had to take a nap during a ten hour drive?
For me a 4 hour drive is brutal, I can't even imagine driving 10 hours in one day

mystes
May 31, 2006

an actual frog posted:

to whoever originally linked this channel, thank you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPSiUx851Qo
Why do people try to drive through that?!

Edit: Also why do they even keep it open when it's deep enough that there are tons of people literally standing around waiting to see cars fail to make it through for entertainment?!

I like this video because you can see all the people standing around and there are kids cheering, lmao:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFRVVAYDB2Q&t=132s

mystes has issued a correction as of 22:46 on Jan 27, 2022

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

My dream is that USDOT or NHTSA or whoever sets some standard that in practice requires every personal vehicle to look like the new USPS trucks

I feel like it would be hard to park but otherwise cool

mystes
May 31, 2006

When I hear "road rage shooting" I at least imagine the drivers are stopped, at least one of them gets out of the car, they get into an argument, and eventually one of them pulls out a gun and shoots the other, which is bad enough.

This is just an entirely different level of WTF

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Just buy a Kryptonite lock, it's basically bike insurance. They cover up to $5k with the New York locks.
I've never heard of anyone successfully collecting from kryptonite after their bike was stolen.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Polo-Rican posted:

I swear he posted this word-for-word a month ago
You've probably heard about "vision zero"; america is actually pursuing a "vision zero memory zero action zero" policy where politicians with zero insight into the problem with america's car culture or desire to change it tweet the same platitudes every month without actually doing anything

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cat Puke posted:

The former police chief in the video calls the shooter's brake check "a de-escalation of what's to come." What do police think the word de-escalation means?
Oh no wonder the police go around shooting people, they just misunderstood the meaning of "de-escalation"

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ham Equity posted:

I feel like maybe a public policy of "if someone throws a water bottle at you, please feel free to fire off 11 bullets on a freeway in the name of self-defense" creates some perverse incentives.
Good point. 11 bullets is pretty limited, so let's make a note to encourage drivers to use high capacity magazines.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cugel the Clever posted:

Driver strikes elderly woman in crosswalk, killing her. The video shows the driver is unambiguously in the wrong, but, as is often the case for automotive violence, they were allowed to just drive away and have yet to be charged.
https://twitter.com/DaveCoIon/status/1488603065334865923?t=0EE1ByHLAH2xYyDrR94xig&s=19
We clearly need to separate the numbers of people who simply died WITH being hit by a car from those who actually died FROM being hit with the car.

Edit: Also it looks like the pedestrian didn't have a helmet or a bell so it's clearly her fault

mystes has issued a correction as of 18:51 on Feb 2, 2022

mystes
May 31, 2006

Magic Hate Ball posted:

someone posted a video of themselves cycling to the grocery store in germany in the fuckcars subreddit and it immediately drew out all the most carbrained defenses of living in a lovely suburban sprawl. i particularly like all the people who are like "who goes to the store every day" or "what if i need to buy three couches and a dozen watermelons"

people are broken
The problem is that in the US we've gotten ourselves stuck so far in an incredibly bad local maximum where everything is completely oriented around cars that it's impossible for people to even imagine the alternative, and whenever there's a problem the solution is always to buy bigger cars and try to make thing even more completely oriented around cars.

People can't even understand that it would be nicer to be able to walk across the street to pick up one or two items whenever they need them rather than having to drive 30 minutes each way to the supermarket.

We can't make things better for walking/biking because everyone drives, so driving is the only serious mode of transportation, because we've made everything suck for walking/biking.

mystes
May 31, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

imo nothing will change until the fossil fuel economy fully collapses, preferably in a very sudden way
This is not going to happen

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lastgirl posted:

thinking that roman history was full of horse traffic jams and new yorker accented romans screaming that they're walking over here.
Someone should do a tv show set in ancient rome like this rather than the usual british accents

Edit: actually just do curb your enthusiasm but in ancient rome

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cat Puke posted:

The impacts of oil are going to destroy us long before we get a chance to extract the last of it.
Yeah this, unfortunately

mystes
May 31, 2006

I just want to say gently caress cars, thank you

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mayor Dave posted:

I want to ride a bike on the 405
One of my best memories from when I was living around Washington DC was biking around when tons of roads were closed to cars, I think for Obama's second inauguration, including on part of the GW parkway.

Sucks that that was like the only time in my life I'll ever get to experience not being in a completely hostile car-filled environment in the US (thanks Obama!).

Dolphin posted:

it wouldn't be very difficult to bring back street cars, the tracks are still there in like, 90% of us cities

why anyone consented to get rid of them is hard for my brain to fathom
It's so loving stupid especially when you realize they were fully electric, they were exactly what we need now and yet even now nobody even wants to bring them back, instead they want to spent way more money to put lovely batteries (made by slave labor and extremely bad for the environment to make and dispose of) in buses.

mystes has issued a correction as of 16:58 on Feb 3, 2022

mystes
May 31, 2006

Of course street cars have the problem that ~there's too much traffic~ and of course you aren't allowed to take lanes away from cars to give streetcars priority or make lights turn green for them, that's just not allowed, sorry

mystes
May 31, 2006

Dolphin posted:

pictured: a tragedy

Scrapping one street car is a tragedy, scrapping all the street cars in a massive illegal conspiracy is a success story for capitalism

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cup Runneth Over posted:

can you really call it illegal when it went on in broad daylight and no one was ever punished?
There was actually one case where the conspirators were fined like $5000, which is like a whopping $60,000 in 2022 dollars, after being convicted by a jury if you can even call that a punishment (and the judge was like "I don't think they should have been found guilty").

mystes has issued a correction as of 18:27 on Feb 3, 2022

mystes
May 31, 2006

While the idiot that tried to cut around is clearly at fault, it was incredibly dumb of the person driving the truck in the left lane to try to accelerate to block them because that easily could have led to them or some other random person getting killed.

PeterCat posted:

I have a knee jerk reaction to the "Not Just Bikes" guy mainly because his solution to transit is to move to the Netherlands. Which, ok, nice if you can do it but that's not a solution to anything. That and while I like bicycles, "evangelical" is how I would describe a lot of their advocates. It's "The Way" rather than a way.
I could not possibly disagree with this more strongly.

In the US, people will have to fight for years years trying to get a single .5 mile unprotected bike lane built. Not only is he correct in realizing that the situation is hosed it's 100% impossible to get what he wants in the US in the next 20 years, while his kids will be able to benefit from being able to bike around on his own, I think he may actually doing more good in the long wrong by just coming out and showing people in US how loving bad they have it, and that they shouldn't be happy with the useless poo poo most local places in the US are doing to allegedly make things better for walking/biking.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Dolphin posted:

quote:

The note triggered a flashback to the night before when Holzmann was driving on North Russell by the Moda Center. He made a right turn to get into the parking garage, but on his way inside he said he may have cut a bicyclist off. It’s a busy intersection, Holzmann said, filled with traffic on two and four wheels. A problematic area.

quote:

He thinks that the suspect found his address through his customized license plate — HOLZIE. He said he has no problems sharing the road, but he believes that should come with shared responsibility.

“They don’t think the rules apply to them,” he said, “just the same as sometimes the rules don’t apply to cars. They make mistakes and if their awareness is heightened through education, it might help.”
Yeah I bet the driver who killed that elderly person a couple days ago feels the same way; "yeah sure I killed someone and I could try to share the road, but you know, sometimes pedestrians break the rules too, so really isn't it okay to run them over?"

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sphyre posted:

obviously the honda driver was insane, but the truck driver chose to escalate and put other people's lives at risk by speeding up and attempting to block the honda as it was going for the dangerous pass. the only reasonable answer is that both drivers should be taken outside and shot in the back of the head
Agreed

mystes
May 31, 2006

We had fully electric streetcars everywhere a hundred and twenty loving years ago

And now it's like "oh we just need to wait for the tech bros to come and save us with $100k luxury electric cars , otherwise it's impossible to have electric vehicles"

mystes
May 31, 2006

Dolphin posted:

holy poo poo tell me more about this monkey fighting

mystes
May 31, 2006

If it's once a loving month you'd think they could figure some way to deal with it

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cup Runneth Over posted:

gently caress cars

mystes
May 31, 2006

People on bikes should absolutely not do dumb things to endanger pedestrians and other cyclists but it's true that most traffic rules aren't really necessary for bikes if they're just going like 10 mph and there are no cars.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Thank god self driving vehicles are going through arrive Any Day Now. We'd better tear up all the remaining transit systems to get ready for them so we can be ready to magically save the environment.

mystes
May 31, 2006

bi crimes posted:

is there any large city in the US that is not horrible for cycling in? I’m in Austin, and despite its supposed “cyclist” friendly bullshit, I’ve been hit downtown once and had a lot of close calls on quiet residential streets that are close to the university and downtown
If you want a city that's legitimately safe to cycle in, like you could give your kid a bike and let them bike around on their own, lol no, because even in supposedly "bike friendly" places the approach that is being taken in the US is just fundamentally wrong and will never arrive at actual safety for bikes.

Unfortunately even a lot of people who regularly ride bikes in the US are so brain poisoned they will refuse to admit that.

mystes has issued a correction as of 17:00 on Feb 8, 2022

mystes
May 31, 2006

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Paris is apparently going all in on bike/pedestrian friendly streets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI-1YNAmWlk
I think this highlights how what's really important is the underlying attitude. If you prioritize bikes/pedestrians you can get this stuff done extremely fast, but if you don't, and refuse to inconvenience drivers in any way, you can spend decades talking about it but accomplishing essentially nothing like a lot of places in the US.

That is probably more discouraging than encouraging for the US though; we fundamentally don't have the right attitude about it, so it will literally never happen even though it could be accomplished extremely quickly.

mystes
May 31, 2006

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Did you not ride your bike as a kid? Kids usually rode on the sidewalks where I grew up

it'd be different in the city though of course
Sidewalks can be pretty dangerous because of people entering/exiting driveways at high speeds without looking for pedestrians/cyclists.

This probably isn't helped when people are now driving huge SUVs that have terrible lines of sight.

also, sidewalks don't really connect continuously in any sane way in a lot of place

I think in most of the us people just aren't going to let kids bike on their own nowadays even if they stick the the sidewalk even where it used to be common.

mystes has issued a correction as of 22:27 on Feb 9, 2022

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cat Puke posted:

What's a pushbike?
Apparently a bicycle

It's also crazy the degree to which kids just aren't allowed to even walk beyond their house on their own at all now in the US.

mystes has issued a correction as of 22:28 on Feb 9, 2022

mystes
May 31, 2006

That's what happens when bike riders are infected with car brain

mystes
May 31, 2006

I wish I was so cool that I could be introduced as the person who invented a groundbreaking method of counting bats and then went on to use martens to destroy cars.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cup Runneth Over posted:

https://bikeportland.org/2012/04/25/20-years-later-john-foresters-effective-cycling-to-be-re-published-70941

tired of cars running you over? just pretend you're a car! driving cannot fail, only be failed
Luckily that post is from 10 years ago, John Forester is dead, and everyone despises him now.

I guess some of the stuff he says is sort of reasonable as advice for people who are determined to ride a bike in the completely unsafe conditions in the US, but he sucks mostly because he actually wanted to keep things that way

He actively fought against bike infrastructure and tried to convince local governments not to build it. Even worse, he convinced TONS of recreational cyclists in the US to fight against bike infrastructure tooth and nail themselves, to the point that being opposed to it was pretty much the consensus for decades.

It's only really in the last 10 years that the damage started to be undone because cyclists realized that the situation is completely hosed in the us, possibly because thanks to the internet you can just go on YouTube and realize how much worse it is for biking than other countries

Incidentally, John Forester apparently refused to ever even visit Amsterdam too even though he insisted their bike infrastructure must be bad and you would think someone who spent his whole life pontificating about such things would at least want to see how it actually worked.

mystes has issued a correction as of 12:52 on Feb 11, 2022

mystes
May 31, 2006

There is sort of a problem (vicious circle) in that even if Americans already felt like they WANTED to not rely on cars (which is not generally true), the way everything has been designed means that most Americans living even in places where it theoretically shouldn't actually be necessary to have cars do in fact own cars and use them for everything.

This means that when you take away parking spaces, there probably are going to be people living right there who were actually using those spaces and even if there are still enough spaces, it might at least become slightly harder for them to park their cars.

It's kind of hard to fix this problem when the extent of what you're doing is just taking the spaces away to built a lovely unprotected bike lane or something that the people living there are never going to use.

You have to go even further to actually provide real alternatives that are going to make people be willing to get rid of their cars so you don't need as many spaces in the first place, but that's even less politically feasible, so I think we're kind of stuck.

From the other perspective, maximizing the amount of free car parking like we're currently doing means that there's zero incentive for people to not own cars even if they don't really need them, which means that everyone has a car (so there isn't enough parking and it's hard to eliminate).

I guess one option that will hopefully become more common is to encourage new development/redevelopment near transit with less parking so the people moving in at least won't have cars which would provide more space for things over than government subsidized car storage.

It would probably be better to start charging for parking in some manner so that there is more pressure on people to not own so many loving cars if they can avoid it.

mystes has issued a correction as of 17:19 on Feb 11, 2022

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Not sure what to make of this. It's like a gondola lift but in Macon, GA?

https://wgxa.tv/news/local/its-a-bi...travel-in-macon
Oh nice, more garbage gadgetbahn bullshit

Just build loving trains people

mystes
May 31, 2006

Riding bikes on sidewalks at slow speeds is fine if you yield to pedestrians. It's not anywhere as dangerous as cars. It just sucks for biking that way.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cugel the Clever posted:

On my way back from grocery shopping the other day, a completely silent Prius turned out to be behind me at every stop for a few blocks. Cars shouldn't be audible from more than 15 feet away, but it's certainly unnerving to have a two-ton chunk of metal quietly stalking you. If we're not going to ban cars outright, some kind unobtrusive audio cue seems valuable.
I think they did actually change Priuses to be more audible at some point, but maybe not enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Georgia outlawed cellphones while driving (unless you have a hands-free setup), but now they're trying to re-legalize phones when you're stopped at a red light.
Lol