Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

perhaps there's a game that's been besting you for years but you're committed to beating it one day.

for me personally, there's no games in this category. i'll give up on anything. maybe i could count doing the hollow knight pantheons last year. yeah, sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I'll always return to Stardew Valley whenever the urge arises, even though I've done everything 10x over by this point

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Animal Crossing

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
I play through Doom & Doom 2 every year at least once even though I've played them to exhaustion.

Same with Kings Quest 5 and Golf Story

In terms of games that I'm slogging through that I've not beaten yet, the remaster of Homeworld. I've started it like 5 times because you can get yourself into an unwinnable state but I'm determined to beat it because it's just so much drat fun

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

herculon posted:

Animal Crossing

This might be it for me, I’ve been getting less and less active but I was one of the last Imps still playing daily and the urge still grabs me every couple of weeks at least

Fire Emblem: Three Houses too, I played it nonstop for like a year and a half since its release, starting a new route as soon as I finished one. After finally beating the fourth and final path on a 250+ hour New Game+++ save I’ve been free of it for several months now, but I still get the itch to start playing again every now and then and I think the sheer number of other games I’ve got going at the moment is the only thing keeping me from diving back in with another Silver Snow run

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
im going to play the tetris the grand master series until my hands dont work anymore. i might eventually reach the highest grades (though theres a good possibility i wont) but theres always more time to take off

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Tetris is probably an all timer for me, I will always play it

I think I beat MGS 1-3 yearly as well

And also a game I will never put give up on is Everquest, everyone once and awhile I come back and play it usually on a private server, it really is the only good MMO ever made

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

That Little Demon posted:

I think I beat MGS 1-3 yearly as well

poo poo yeah.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

probably once every six months I play mega man x, and once a year I play through Chrono trigger.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Every night before bed I play one or two levels of Super Mario World. I’ve 100%’d the game like five time over the last two or so years.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I will also never give up on Chrono break. I'm sure it will be announced any day now.

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
Once every year or so I'll revisit some of the early castlevania or MegaMan games even though im rear end at 2d platformers.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

This might be it for me, I’ve been getting less and less active but I was one of the last Imps still playing daily and the urge still grabs me every couple of weeks at least

Fire Emblem: Three Houses too, I played it nonstop for like a year and a half since its release, starting a new route as soon as I finished one. After finally beating the fourth and final path on a 250+ hour New Game+++ save I’ve been free of it for several months now, but I still get the itch to start playing again every now and then and I think the sheer number of other games I’ve got going at the moment is the only thing keeping me from diving back in with another Silver Snow run

Yeah I did all 4 routes and it’s constantly tempting to dive back in and do another Black Eagles to try to get more of the support log. I have to remind myself that I want to finish DQXI before I’m 40 and I want to be part of the Imp hype when SMT5 comes out.

ho fan
Oct 6, 2014

cant get enough of the freakin epic poop AIDS in The Binding of Isaac

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Was excepting a rickroll and now I’m disappointed.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

World of Warcraft and Quake.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

The biggest reason I want to buy a Series X is because I miss playing Halo so much. Would kill to play Shotty Snipers again with my boys.

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
Super Mario Bros.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

rickroll is goatse for cowards.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

thirding Three Houses. it took me a bit to get into since i hadn't played another Fire Emblem game before that, but once it clicked, i couldn't put it down. i think i beat NG+ Blue Lions in a single week immediately after finishing Golden Deer, though i finally burnt out several chapters into my Black Eagles playthrough. i've still picked it up here and there to play through a couple chapters, though, and it still feels fresh and fun every single time.

also, every year or two i'll start a new character in Terraria and just pour 70-80 hours into the game all the way to the end, it's amazing how much content they've added in the decade since it's been out.

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt

Knives and Hot Dust posted:

Super Mario Bros.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?

Bicyclops posted:

I will also never give up on Chrono break. I'm sure it will be announced any day now.

this but tetris the grandmaster 4

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've been playing StarCraft basically my entire life at this point. Not constantly but it's always there. If I don't know what to play I can sit down and play the campaign again and just get sucked in and usually end up finishing it one sitting lol.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Breath of Fire I, I love so much about it.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

Breath of Fire

hell yeah i fuckin love that series after the fir-

:dogstare:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

diablo 2 and morrowind

i havent beaten the main quest in morrowind in about ten years and get sidetracked modding and starting new characters. people made all these awesome roleplaying mods where you can start as a muckfarmer and just spend the day fishing and growing crops and poo poo and i forget all about dagoth ur

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Fungah! posted:

lol, nostalgia ftw

2 is much better but it doesn't have the same sort of nostalgic pull for me

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

super mario world

sometimes its getting all the exits. sometimes its just a casual speedrun. but i never get tired of that game lol

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

i'll be playing deus ex in the nursing home

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!
Earthbound. I play through it at least once a year.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
try to play re4 once or twice a year, just a really tightly designed game full of memorable encounters. also katamari 1+2

Fungah! posted:

lmfao

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I haven’t played it in a long time so maybe I fail the challenge, but Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup is evergreen

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I don’t often go back and revisit older games but for a while I beat Earthbound and Chrono Trigger once every few years.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ill play super metroid every year until my dying day

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

i love horror but horror games just scare the living poo poo out of me and i can't get over it. this would normally make playing them more epic if it wasn't crippling my progress. every year i try playing silent hill 1 and 2 and every year i get a little bit further. i always start over because not remembering where the hell i have to go is too much. silent hill 2 is so drat good and im so pissed off with myself that i've never finished it.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

BigFactory posted:

I haven’t played it in a long time so maybe I fail the challenge, but Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup is evergreen

I play this every time I travel.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Morrowind probably but I haven't actually played it in a few years. Too many games now to revisit older ones as much as I used to

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

monkey island 1+2 till I die

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

Breath of Fire I, I love so much about it.

Played this way back in the day on snes. I should check it out on switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Resident Evil 2