Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I went to the mall to get new button down shirts for work the other day and like every store had a ton of 70s as gently caress paisley shirts wtf is up with that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Nooner posted:

I went to the mall to get new button down shirts for work the other day and like every store had a ton of 70s as gently caress paisley shirts wtf is up with that?

Everything that is old is new again.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
70s fashion is timeless because it's so bright and flashy that it doesn't really belong to any single era.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

Socks in sandals.

Sandals in socks.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

teen witch posted:

Gimme some sky high hair plz

I tried to find a good example of THAT kind of high hair in my family's various photo albums, but my grandmother went straight from majestic fro to jheri curl without this in-between stage.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I want those flame shirts from the early 2000's back. I particularly liked the dark black ones with blue flames.

I'm a fat 41 year old, nobody gives a gently caress how I dress. I should get myself some again, doubt I can find any tho.

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler

Tarkus posted:

I want those flame shirts from the early 2000's back. I particularly liked the dark black ones with blue flames.

I'm a fat 41 year old, nobody gives a gently caress how I dress. I should get myself some again, doubt I can find any tho.

God dammit I want to dress like Guy Fieri, taste be damned. Maybe true taste is ascending to Flavortown

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I always thought top hats looked cool when I was a kid. We should bring back 19th century banker fashion.

I think steampunks tried to do this at some point

On that note, I didn't really mind steampunk. Stick some gears on a corset, I'm in

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I always thought top hats looked cool when I was a kid. We should bring back 19th century banker fashion.

Oh, they tried bringing those stylings back with a dapper British model named Jacob Rees-Mogg but unfortunately he went into politics and turned out to be a gigantic flapping oval office nobody in their right mind would want to emulate.

I would like to bring back the fashion of people not being vaguely bipedal diabetic blimps. Looking at photos from the 1970s people, even americans from the south and midwest were still pretty slim and fit and looked good in whatever they were wearing.

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?

frumpykvetchbot posted:

Oh, they tried bringing those stylings back with a dapper British model named Jacob Rees-Mogg but unfortunately he went into politics and turned out to be a gigantic flapping oval office nobody in their right mind would want to emulate.

I would like to bring back the fashion of people not being vaguely bipedal diabetic blimps. Looking at photos from the 1970s people, even americans from the south and midwest were still pretty slim and fit and looked good in whatever they were wearing.
For the vast majority of history, clothing used to be handmade and tailored to fit. It was about adhering to a fashionable silhouette, not to a fashionable body shape that you can slap "one size fits all" mass produced fast fashion onto.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Tarkus posted:

:agreed:

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

frumpykvetchbot posted:

:goonsay: is back babey

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

You just reminded me of the bugle boy version of this shirt I had

matti
Mar 31, 2019

tripwood posted:

Drug ponchos!!! I have one it's so comfy and clearly identifies me as a man that carries&enjoys weed

so ugly yet so practical (to sell and/or buy drugs)

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
Whale tails

Boy do I miss the early 2000s

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Lauroon Kyanka posted:

long denim skirts. so tired of seeing older woman's legs. and denim jackets that cover up breasts for the same reason as before.

why don't we make it trendy and fashionable to hop on a rocket and leave the earth after you turn 40 so we don't have to see your horrible body at homegoods

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Agree unironically, especially if you're American. If you don't take care of your body, it should be illegal to show it off. Nobody wants to see your gnarly deep-vein thrombosis calves.

In order to be fair and equitable, I propose that we outlaw everything but the burqa for everybody (of any identity) under the age of 20 and over the age of 28. We'll make the exception that you can replace the hood with a hijab if you're particularly handsome in the face, but no fatties.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Dont Touch ME posted:

Agree unironically, especially if you're American. If you don't take care of your body, it should be illegal to show it off. Nobody wants to see your gnarly deep-vein thrombosis calves.

In order to be fair and equitable, I propose that we outlaw everything but the burqa for everybody (of any identity) under the age of 20 and over the age of 28. We'll make the exception that you can replace the hood with a hijab if you're particularly handsome in the face, but no fatties.

What if we made everyone wear this shirt

alternatively the drug poncho I guess

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWqV7o7O35c

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
Jnco jeans with the carpenter belt loop.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Tarkus posted:

I'm a fat 41 year old, nobody gives a gently caress how I dress.

I'm pretty sure this is only true for men, but I don't want to make any assumptions.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Smugworth posted:

What if we made everyone wear this shirt

alternatively the drug poncho I guess

I see you know how to haggle

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Imagine a blue flame bowling shirt but unbuttoned with a three wolf moon shirt that matches under it, jncos, and a wallet chain.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Big Beef City posted:

Imagine a blue flame bowling shirt but unbuttoned with a three wolf moon shirt that matches under it, jncos, and a wallet chain.

Is their hair frosted tips while spiked up?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

You know it is

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Grevlek posted:

Jnco jeans with the carpenter belt loop.

Oh gently caress, i forgot about the carpenter belt loop wtf was up with that lol

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Nooner posted:

Oh gently caress, i forgot about the carpenter belt loop wtf was up with that lol

Only 90s carpenters will know about them

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

This type of men's coat:

You can skip the hat and cane, and no I dunno wtf is up his tiny rear end feet

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Big Beef City posted:

You can skip the hat and cane,
I don’t think you’re allowed to.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
that would be a p good coat for shoplifting

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I don’t think you’re allowed to.

this post username combination make me want to be your holy man

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017

mexican willie posted:

Getting the face of your nemesis's partner printed on your tights.

Sarah Connor?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

:hmmyes:

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jwAqAVfXQU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Whatever happened to people wearing stupid hats?

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I've been reminded constantly that every hat is a stupid hat.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
doc martens and bucket hats are back baby

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Beehives, and long underwear with the flap on the backside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Smugworth posted:

You just reminded me of the bugle boy version of this shirt I had

I definitely had the short sleeve version of this as a kid. I think I'm wearing it in one of my early school photos.

Anyway, I recently watched Wild Wild Country, a documentary about the Rajneesh cult/religion that moved into Oregon in the 80s, and I'm ready for cult fashion to return. Also, anything that multiple attempted murderer Ma Anand Sheela wore in the documentary.

There's a gallery of some of her outfits here:
https://lyelysianne.tumblr.com/post/172974117472/style-evolution-ma-anand-sheela-american-80s