Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

I'm only a casual fan of football and just started watching again due to the pandemic. I guess being a Bengals/Lions fan can make that hard at times, but i really enjoyed the season.

Anyway I had a question. I set up a bird feeder this year and it has attracted a bunch of birds. I've been able to identify all of them except one that I've only seen once that came about the other day. It's about the size of a house finch, but had the colors of like a washed-out blue jay. What was really particular to me though was, my feeder has a little metal cage around the plastic tube, it was able to land upside down on the cage. So I thought maybe a woodpecker or something, but I couldn't place it. I live near Detroit if that helps. Go Bengals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

chamois posted:

was it a nuthatch

It might have been. It moved around like one.

I'd say it's closest in coloring to the one in the top right here. Maybe a juvenile?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3agnJtT5904&t=22s

Thanks!

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

The gray jay is too big, and the juvenile's colors aren't right. So far I think the nuthatch is the closest.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Well I didn't expect someone to buy an avatar over this, but thank you for the help and entertainment. I hope it comes back it got chased off by a bigger bird. I liked watching it hop around while drinking coffee.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

If we're still allowed to do bird updates. I confirmed it was a nuthatch. But not just one a pair. They're good to watch. They'd take a seed and start chipping the bark off my trees. I like the way they talk to each other too. They were hanging out with a lady downy woodpecker. She was inspecting some of my trees and wooden posts but wasn't super into it.