Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Everyone posted:

I admit that I didn't think they could sell me on Andreas getting redemption but they did.

That said, when it it come to The Owl House, Belos needs to loving die in pain.

The nice thing about it is that he was never explicitly forgiven for his actions either, he and the newts that willingly followed him still have to work off their debt to society (you can see the analysts working on the farm in the background as well).

As I said, the relationship between Andrias and his father is kind of like a dark mirror of the initial relationship between Anne and Sasha (complete with the former finally standing up to the latter using the exact same line).

But yeah, as far as the Owl House goes Belos is way beyond the faintest hope of redemption at this point and I hope he dies in the most gruesome manner allowed for a children’s cartoon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Looks like there's a live Q&A on youtube with Matt & the cast tomorrow.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viCnxVrh3Pg

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I had hoped they’d do some kind of reprise of that song during the finale and it was used awesomely in my opinion

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Another thing about the finale I just noticed: Anne 2.0’s shoe is on the opposite foot

Also I’m pretty sure the monsters the Core released during the final battle are more solid versions of the ones we saw in the castle basement back in Season 2

Off the subject but hypothetically if Anne and the others never stole the box and wound up in Amphibia in the first place would Andrias and the Core’s plans have effectively been screwed or would the latter have eventually grown tired of waiting and decided to destroy the world anyway?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 23, 2022

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
You go 1000 years, you're probably immune to boredom.

What confuses me is that Andrias never married or produced an heir. I guess maybe he loved Leif and her betrayal broke him?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Beachcomber posted:

What confuses me is that Andrias never married or produced an heir. I guess maybe he loved Leif and her betrayal broke him?

Also the fact he's functionally immortal and as such there probably wasn't as much of a need (though I'm not sure how much of his body is mechanical)

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Larryb posted:

Off the subject but hypothetically if Anne and the others never stole the box and wound up in Amphibia in the first place would Andrias and the Core’s plans have effectively been screwed or would the latter have eventually grown tired of waiting and decided to destroy the world anyway?

Bear in mind that the music box was essentially a test/job interview. Godkitty wasn't looking for Anne. They were looking for someone like Anne. Someone willing to deliberately sacrifice themselves to save others/aliens. If Anne chooses not to steal it and neither Marcy or Sasha obtain it, maybe someone else does. If that someone else is a truly good person, they'll save Earth and Amphibia and get tapped to be the next GodKitty. If that someone else is an rear end in a top hat or just doesn't measure up Earth and/or Amphibia will be destroyed and maybe the music box will end up somewhere else (it's extremely likely that something like this has happened a bunch of times prior to the music box reaching Amphibia). If the somebody else buys the box and dumps it in their attic then everybody gets to wait until it's back in circulation. GodKitty is patient or at least has rules. They're not going to intervene except at the very end. Everything else gets decided by free will.

Beachcomber posted:

Who says he didn't? Maybe over the first three-four hundred years or so he had kids, grandkids, etc. but eventually they just died out while he went cybernetic to make sure he lasted long enough to enact the Core's plans.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I thought Godkitty specifically created the gems themselves but the Calamity Box was an Amphibian invention used to harness their power for the sake of conquest

Also the box was on Earth for 1000 years so I can’t imagine Anne being the first human to ever try opening it (though if anyone else did then they likely didn’t make it back to tell the tale)

On another note, I just realized that literally every season ends with one of the trio having a brush with death:

Reunion: Sasha lets herself fall in an attempt to save Anne from the collapsing tower but is saved by Grime on the way down

True Colors: Marcy is stabbed through the chest by Andrias but we later learn she was quickly taken to a Bacta Tank afterwards to recover

The Hardest Thing: Anne literally dies after sacrificing herself to stop the Core but God saves her consciousness at the last second and uploads it into a backup body

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 24, 2022

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Larryb posted:

I thought Godkitty specifically created the gems themselves but the Calamity Box was an Amphibian invention used to harness their power for the sake of conquest

Also the box was on Earth for 1000 years so I can’t imagine Anne being the first human to ever try opening it (though if anyone else did then they likely didn’t make it back to tell the tale)

On another note, I just realized that literally every season ends with one of the trio having a brush with death:

Reunion: Sasha lets herself fall in an attempt to save Anne from the collapsing tower but is saved by Grime on the way down

True Colors: Marcy is stabbed through the chest by Andrias but we later learn she was quickly taken to a Bacta Tank afterwards to recover

The Hardest Thing: Anne literally dies after sacrificing herself to stop the Core but God saves her consciousness at the last second and uploads it into a backup body

So what you're saying is that all three need therapy.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

So what you're saying is that all three need therapy.

For more reasons than just that but yeah (though somewhat fittingly Sasha actually grew up to become a child therapist)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 24, 2022

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

I mean, it only had the moon weaponized to use as a final gambit to gain the stones. If the stones never made it back, there would be no purpose in it. Andrias (and whoever he'd appoint as the next king and their heir and etc, etc) would just rule Amphibia forever. After all, in the end, it's only ever about ruling, the Core just wants the box to rule/conquer other worlds too. I suppose theoretically the Core might Colony Drop everything if some future ruler decided to turn power over to the people or if the government got toppled, but traditionally monarchs aren't big on turning over power and the Core is all about using a hivemind of rulers to rule efficiently, so coups are unlikely*.

*and I know what you're gonna say, "but TwoPair, a coup literally happened", but to that I'd say it only really happened because Andrias was blinded by ambition for the box. If you look at True Colors, the only reason Andrias doesn't just wreck Grime and personally stop the coup in its tracks is because Sasha threatens to break the box. Also he knows Marcy has his back, and as such the Core knows that Andrias has never truly lost control. In a world where the box never came back home, any potential coup never gets close enough to threaten the monarchy.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Good point, and without Sasha Grime likely would have never had the motivation or manpower to stage a coup in the first place (and what he did have was barely functional as it is before Sasha helped improve his leadership skills)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Beachcomber posted:

You'd think all of his grandparents directly inside of his brain would really be bugging him about that.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

You'd think all of his grandparents directly inside of his brain would really be bugging him about that.

Especially since in their eyes Andrias was never good enough to join the Core (which is probably why they chose Marcy in the first place).

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Larryb posted:

Especially since in their eyes Andrias was never good enough to join the Core (which is probably why they chose Marcy in the first place).

They chose Marcy because they wanted a meat body to walk around in instead of just being stuck in a computer (and also to derail the prophecy). They never chose Andrias because they needed him to be their actual physical king because they could control/manipulate him. If somebody like Yunan or Olivia ended up on the throne there would be a possibility that they'd just unplug the Core and dump it in an erupting undersea volcano. At the least the Core would have to spend a lot of time and effort to bring a different ruler under its electronic thumb. Easier to shove robot parts in the old king and keep him around than mess with doing that every few decades.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Everyone posted:

They chose Marcy because they wanted a meat body to walk around in instead of just being stuck in a computer (and also to derail the prophecy). They never chose Andrias because they needed him to be their actual physical king because they could control/manipulate him. If somebody like Yunan or Olivia ended up on the throne there would be a possibility that they'd just unplug the Core and dump it in an erupting undersea volcano. At the least the Core would have to spend a lot of time and effort to bring a different ruler under its electronic thumb. Easier to shove robot parts in the old king and keep him around than mess with doing that every few decades.

True, and even when he was still alive Aldrich never seemed to have much faith in his son except when it was convenient to him and pretty much always just saw him as a useful tool and nothing more.

As I’ve said you can kind of interpret it as a mirror of the original relationship between Sasha and Anne minus the compassion since even early on we see hints that underneath it all the former did actually care about Anne and Marcy on some level (going out of her way to help them on the day they first met, attempting to sacrifice herself at Toad Tower to prevent Anne from falling as well, being visibly shaken every time Anne called her out on her bullshit, wincing a little when Grime reminded her of the plan at the end of The Second Temple, etc.). Meanwhile it was clear that if Aldrich had any genuine love for Andrias it all got eroded long ago (hell, the latter even finally stands up to him at the end using the exact same line Anne used back in Reunion).

Like Mother Olm said, the penultimate episode basically had the pair facing off against the worst version of themselves (Andrias being the ultimate lapdog and Darcy being the ultimate control freak). Marcy never really got an enemy like that come to think of it aside from maybe herself

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

:thunk:

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Larryb posted:

Like Mother Olm said, the penultimate episode basically had the pair facing off against the worst version of themselves (Andrias being the ultimate lapdog and Darcy being the ultimate control freak). Marcy never really got an enemy like that come to think of it aside from maybe herself

Well, herself and physics. Poor child tripped on rock in space.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Everyone posted:

Well, herself and physics. Poor child tripped on rock in space.

A fight that continued well into adulthood it would seem given her reunion with Sasha at the end

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

For anyone that hasn’t caught up yet the rest of the series is now up on Disney Plus

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Finished this up on Friday. It was good, if not amazing. Early on it definitely felt like discount Owl House, but it grew out of that during the first season, with the S1 finale being the first episode I considered truly great and was my favourite episode until Marcy at the Gates, which I think remains my favourite episode overall.

I do think it was hampered a bit by the format of two shorts per episode, and it's no coincidence that my favourite episodes were ones that were one full episode.

And it absolutely managed to stick the landing, really good series finale. Satisfying, sensible, bittersweet, a bit poignant, and the only thing that could have been considered a cop-out I felt was done so well and followed the escalating theme of the girls almost dying—which in Anne's case of course meant escalated to actually dying—and being saved that it didn't even feel like one.

Not up there with my absolute favourite cartoons, but was definitely worth the watch.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

A few pages from Marcy’s Journal (the book that’s coming out this November) have apparently been leaked:

https://twitter.com/RULERZREACHF4N/status/1554596605893812224

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 7, 2022

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/dr_neque_art/status/1538233439631159296

https://twitter.com/dr_neque_art/status/1553794027451039747

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Technowolf posted:

twitter stuff

Ehhh, I don't know that "getting sexualized in cartoon drawings" really qualifies as a "perk" but okay.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 9, 2022

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

why would you post that

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Ehhhh, for as much as they make a lot of weird and uncalled for posts, they're honestly not wrong this time? Like, I don't think the art is damning on its own, but it was enough that I felt the need to skim the rest of that twitter to make sure there weren't any red flags.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Cattail Prophet posted:

Ehhhh, for as much as they make a lot of weird and uncalled for posts, they're honestly not wrong this time? Like, I don't think the art is damning on its own, but it was enough that I felt the need to skim the rest of that twitter to make sure there weren't any red flags.

Honestly, I'd assumed that The 7th Guest was talking more about the Twitter stuff than anything I said.

My thing was not just the pictures but the "I Want You" bit. That combo was just... no.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Aug 9, 2022

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Everyone posted:

Honestly, I'd assume that The 7th Guest was talking more about the Twitter stuff than anything I said.
that's correct

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

The 7th Guest posted:

that's correct

Cool... so... in a desperate attempt to move off of this topic, those are some cool pics from Marcy's journal.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, nothing too interesting from the above scans that I can tell though aside from the revelation that her middle name is Regina.

When in November is the full book coming out again?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Larryb posted:

Yeah, nothing too interesting from the above scans that I can tell though aside from the revelation that her middle name is Regina.

When in November is the full book coming out again?

Theoretically November 15, 2022 according the search I just ran.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Everyone posted:

Ehhh, I don't know that "getting sexualized in cartoon drawings" really qualifies as a "perk" but okay.

Apparently, somebody had evidence a couple of the artists that worked on the show drew some extremely sexualized art of the characters (and they weren't aged up either). It was a trending topic on twitter a few weeks back. Might have been bullshit though, and I wasn't going to dig deeper to verify.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Apparently, somebody had evidence a couple of the artists that worked on the show drew some extremely sexualized art of the characters (and they weren't aged up either). It was a trending topic on twitter a few weeks back. Might have been bullshit though, and I wasn't going to dig deeper to verify.

I unfortunately followed that shitstorm and yeah it was a whole lot of nothing, really (I know, right? The internet never overexaggerates poo poo!). There were like 3 artists drawing smut, at least 2 of which were later proven to just be fans. I stopped following it for the sake of my fragile mind but since by the next day when it stopped trending it looks like literally no one actually involved in the show ever commented on it, I'm guessing #3 was too and it was all some jackass trying to stir up a controversy.

I tried to look up more but googling "amphibia controversy leaks" just gets you stuff about the True Colors leak and getting more specific would probably get me on a watchlist so gently caress that, ignorance is bliss.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

TwoPair posted:

I unfortunately followed that shitstorm and yeah it was a whole lot of nothing, really (I know, right? The internet never overexaggerates poo poo!). There were like 3 artists drawing smut, at least 2 of which were later proven to just be fans. I stopped following it for the sake of my fragile mind but since by the next day when it stopped trending it looks like literally no one actually involved in the show ever commented on it, I'm guessing #3 was too and it was all some jackass trying to stir up a controversy.

I tried to look up more but googling "amphibia controversy leaks" just gets you stuff about the True Colors leak and getting more specific would probably get me on a watchlist so gently caress that, ignorance is bliss.

That's one of the reasons I tend to avoid social media/fan-art/fan-sites/fan-anything. There's probably some good stuff there, but most of it is crap and within that crap there's some toxic waste that you can't ever unsee.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Thanks to a recent post by Matt we now have the full names of the Calamity Trio:

https://twitter.com/DisneyAPromos/status/1565929067433660418

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Anne and the Plantars are the hosts for Chibiverse Episode 2 (and near as I can tell they got all the actors back):

https://youtube.com/watch?v=-ZAWhvh5MLM

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

An interesting snippet of Marcy's Journal:
https://mobile.twitter.com/ArsonistFrogg/status/1568428702329110528/photo/1

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Props to Marcy on her excellent poker face then:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also apparently the duel between Anne and Sasha in True Colors was originally going to be a lot more intense:

https://twitter.com/GreyAnnis/status/1396897266707927043?cxt=HHwWhsC4nbeq4-ImAAAA