Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Skooma.

(They also made a perfect short story)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yes it was, op

e: also that book points you towards the master trainer for alteration, as it names her directly and she exists in-game

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Gen X too, I guess, its the best elder scrolls to date, or at least, the wackiest one.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I played that stupid thing intensively for years, but never actually completed it.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

gently caress you. cliff racers

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
You should commit to doing it, get sucked into the insanity that is morrowind modding in 2021, break your install at least 4 times, finally get it working and be so mentally drained by the process that you don't end up playing much past getting the boots of blinding speed.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I liked Arcanum/Arx Fatalis more.

Wizardry 8 definitely owns the most tho. Wizardry 8 is baller as gently caress. Wizards & Warriors was an aight game but I still liked it more than Morrowind.

Tbh the mechanics and gameplay of Morrowind sucked mad rear end. It had good world building but Arx Fatalis had better atmosphere and Wizardry 8 was just a plain better game to play.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

THE BAR posted:

I played that stupid thing intensively for years, but never actually completed it.

there was a major resurgence in Morrowind modding last year because of a new tool that allowed mods to use powerful scripts, which wasn't really possible before. definitely worth getting back and finally finishing the story

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

a7m2 posted:

there was a major resurgence in Morrowind modding last year because of a new tool that allowed mods to use powerful scripts, which wasn't really possible before. definitely worth getting back and finally finishing the story

Did any of them make the combat good?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

THE BAR posted:

Did any of them make the combat good?

No, it has the same problem as every other Bethesda game where you can gently caress with the animation, physics values, balancing, weapons, etc. but it still feels like utter rear end in a top hat because the fundamental framework doesn't allow for decent combat.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

It pretty much was op

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

No, it has the same problem as every other Bethesda game where you can gently caress with the animation, physics values, balancing, weapons, etc. but it still feels like utter rear end in a top hat because the fundamental framework doesn't allow for decent combat.

That’s all part of the charm. It’s got that janky bullshit difficulty to it. Until you learn the mechanics and figure out how easy it is to break it completely

It’s an incredibly rear end difficult, hard to approach and not open to beginners, yet still incredibly easy game once you get to know the way it works

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I just remember having the most fun stealing everything I could find without alerting anyone, and murdering people in cold blood so that I could "own" more property.

I got better later in life.

E:

Just the novelty of so much stuff being movable, like nicking lanterns to sell for peanuts, was amazing to see in a full 3D engine.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyd_RPxVnjQ

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Ziv Zulander posted:

It pretty much was op

That’s all part of the charm. It’s got that janky bullshit difficulty to it. Until you learn the mechanics and figure out how easy it is to break it completely

It’s an incredibly rear end difficult, hard to approach and not open to beginners, yet still incredibly easy game once you get to know the way it works

It's not part of the the charm, it sucks dick, even when you're utterly broken the enchanting system and are just flying around at mach speed with broke rear end weapons it feels like poo poo. It isn't janky in some kind of fun Gothic style way where the combat has really weird rules, mechanics, and controls. You just click and you either kill poo poo or miss nonstop and don't kill it.

Arx Fatalis again, is a very good example of jank that DOES have charm, because there's still something enjoyable about the combat even though it's a PitA half the time. There is nothing to enjoy about Morrowind's combat because it doesn't even make your broke rear end poo poo feel fun.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Dagoth Ur welcomes you, Nerevar, my old friend. But to this place where destiny is made. Why have you come unprepared?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Oh yeah, how tf could I forget Gothic, virtually one of the most influential RPGs in existence and way better than Morrowind.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Gothic 1 was so loving sick. If you tried to steal from someone they wouldn't go all scorched earth on your rear end because you stole a potato from a guy with 2 cents to his name in the middle of fifty thousand guards, they would just calmly walk over, beat your rear end, then take your poo poo off your unconscious body as you lay there like an idiot until you got back up.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

It's not part of the the charm, it sucks dick, even when you're utterly broken the enchanting system and are just flying around at mach speed with broke rear end weapons it feels like poo poo. It isn't janky in some kind of fun Gothic style way where the combat has really weird rules, mechanics, and controls. You just click and you either kill poo poo or miss nonstop and don't kill it.

Arx Fatalis again, is a very good example of jank that DOES have charm, because there's still something enjoyable about the combat even though it's a PitA half the time. There is nothing to enjoy about Morrowind's combat because it doesn't even make your broke rear end poo poo feel fun.

Yeah it sucks dick but sucking dick is part of the charm. It’s what makes it a broken unplayable game that’s not made for people who are unfamiliar with it. That’s why it’s the best millennial rpg

You’re taking at me like sucking dick is a bad thing

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Ziv Zulander posted:

Dagoth Ur welcomes you, Nerevar, my old friend. But to this place where destiny is made. Why have you come unprepared?

Wealth beyond measure, outlander...

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Welcome, Moon-and-Star. I have prepared a place for you.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The game stops being difficult a tenth of the way in even if it's your first time playing and you're just doing random rear end poo poo, it's not some abstruse experience like an AD&D Gold Box game like Death Knights of Krynn.
That's the other thing, people always go on about how you can break Elder Scrolls games, but there's no real reason to do it besides the gently caress of it because the games themselves are piss easy - well except for Oblivion if you level up too much lmfao.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Great, I'm sure you'll fit right in.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

The game stops being difficult a tenth of the way in even if it's your first time playing and you're just doing random rear end poo poo, it's not some abstruse experience like an AD&D Gold Box game like Death Knights of Krynn.
That's the other thing, people always go on about how you can break Elder Scrolls games, but there's no real reason to do it besides the gently caress of it because the games themselves are piss easy - well except for Oblivion if you level up too much lmfao.

Yeah that’s the fun of it. Janky rear end impenetrable bullshit that just breaks itself in half if you put in the effort to learn it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKnBrhUcGpA

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

It's not impenetrable, it's extremely basic to break it, you'll probably do it without intending to because of how the skill effects compound on enchanted objects. It's just like Daggerfall where if you ever made a super cheap spammable spell just because you wanted to, oops you already broke the game because now it's going to level your Destruction at mach speed.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

more like snorrowind

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

WHAT I BRING IS LIGHT
WHAT I BRING IS A STAR
WHAT I BRING IS
AN ANCIENT SEA

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

A large part of what makes morrowind so great is how obtuse it is. No compass pointing towards your next direction. You get actual directions. Take the mage’s guild from balmora to caldera and take the road west out of town. Travel down to a fork in the road and take the right path. Eventually you’ll see a naked guy, then just keep walking until you see a big rock. That sort of stuff

Make sure you take that minor skill in axes and pick up the hidden axe in that tree stump in seyda neen. Don’t do medium armor, there’s no master trainer. Always gotta get those scrolls of Icarian flight on your way out too

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

It's not impenetrable, it's extremely basic to break it, you'll probably do it without intending to because of how the skill effects compound on enchanted objects. It's just like Daggerfall where if you ever made a super cheap spammable spell just because you wanted to, oops you already broke the game because now it's going to level your Destruction at mach speed.

Speaking of ES games getting a modding renaissance, Daggerfall Unity is fun on a bun with the smaller dungeons option enabled.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Speaking of ES games getting a modding renaissance, Daggerfall Unity is fun on a bun with the smaller dungeons option enabled.

Did they fix the map lol

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nF3PtXBrSg

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Come, Nerevar. Friend or traitor, come. Come and look upon the Heart, and Akulakhan. And bring Wraithguard... I have need of it.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Now that's more like it.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Porphyric hemophilia? Whatever, I’ll just use cure common disease later

*f5*

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

THE BAR posted:

Now that's more like it.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Eh, MM8 is a step too far.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Another thing I like about morrowind is that everything was hand placed. Every. Single. Thing. Was hand placed. All the secrets items. All the hidden detours you can only get to by looking up and levitating in every unassuming cave. Every last single piece of geometry in the game, all hand placed.

And this ties into the leveling system. In oblivion and Skyrim, nothing will be too difficult or too easy. Morrowind, you’re meant to take a rough path. This means that if you go into the wrong area, you won’t win. If you go into the right area, you’ll get yourself endgame equipment at level one. Newer Bethesda games are just kinda eh, whatever, can’t mess it up. You go through it and you’re along for the ride. Morrowind, you go through it, and you’re along for the ride. gently caress it up and you gently caress it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

THE BAR posted:

Eh, MM8 is a step too far.