Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I remember even at the time being like “holy poo poo the fog in this game is awful” and that it made Oblivion’s UI look like an Apple product

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Caesar Saladin posted:

i really can't imagine why they put so many cliff racers in that game, they're very annoying

The cliff racers were originally men that looked like Stringer Bell that would appear in the wild rubbing their hands and bobbing their heads with voice barks like "Let me take a look at that dick" or "What that smell like" but they realized that this would intimidate players fresh out of Seyda Neen so they replaced them with cliff racers. Unfortunately they never adjusted the spawn rate so there's the same amount of cliff racers as there would have been grounded dudes looking to peep cock and get a whiff

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Caesar Saladin posted:

i really can't imagine why they put so many cliff racers in that game, they're very annoying

You don't get it. If you put things that totally suck rear end throughout your game, no one will ever complain about the ending.

They solved the mass effect 3 problem a decade in advance.

Oblivion's ending sucked rear end. Skyrim's ending sucked rear end. No cliff racers.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

The cliff racers were originally men that looked like Stringer Bell that would appear in the wild rubbing their hands and bobbing their heads with voice barks like "Let me take a look at that dick" or "What that smell like" but they realized that this would intimidate players fresh out of Seyda Neen so they replaced them with cliff racers. Unfortunately they never adjusted the spawn rate so there's the same amount of cliff racers as there would have been grounded dudes looking to peep cock and get a whiff

they shouldn't have held Michael Kirkbride back like that

the ending of the words is ALMSIVI

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I wish more strangers in the fog hollered 'peep ya dick?' at me instead of these drat cliff racers

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Who What Now posted:

Sorry but I don't want to have to do a bunch of dumb obscure stuff like searching the roots of the most perfectly average sized tree for a magic club or whatever to make the early game bearable. I'll just play a good RPG like Planescape or MegaMan Battle Network

You don't have to do any of that. People vastly overrate how difficult Morrowind is. I guess it could be hard if you pick a gimp race/class combo but if you even remotely try to make something synergistic you should be strong from the start. Pick a race and pick that races favored weapon as a major skill and you should be able to easily hit things to start the game.

Mages can kinda struggle early because the spell system takes some learning but Destruction/Conjuration should carry you early on until you learn the game more and figure out other ways to break combat.

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
I just reinstalled this game. Im a Breton Mage named Toe Jam Thompson its fun but i forgot how insanely slow you walk if you don’t take the steed

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

runnypoops posted:

I just reinstalled this game. Im a Breton Mage named Toe Jam Thompson its fun but i forgot how insanely slow you walk if you don’t take the steed

i always beeline for speed enchantments and/or get the boots of blinding speed

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Those Morrowind graphics mods make me lol because they'll stack like 5000 different effects and hires textures and it still looks flat as poo poo.

Reminds me of Thief 2 where the "HD" mod entirely destroys the look if the game because the idiots who went over the textures didn't realize they baked lighting into the textures back then so they'd have more dimension to them.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Those Morrowind graphics mods make me lol because they'll stack like 5000 different effects and hires textures and it still looks flat as poo poo.

Reminds me of Thief 2 where the "HD" mod entirely destroys the look if the game because the idiots who went over the textures didn't realize they baked lighting into the textures back then so they'd have more dimension to them.

There's an AI upscaled textures mod which is pretty good. It's the only one I use since it keeps things consistent.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

runnypoops posted:

Morrowind has some hidden speed thing that is affected by like character height/weight too so Orcs actually end up being really fast. I'm playing one right now and it's pretty noticeable. I only have like 40 speed or something but I can book it around despite having that low speed and not even Athletics as a major or minor.

Meanwhile playing like a High Elf with 40 speed is torture.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
i think redguards have a speed boost lol very nice Todd

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Todd Solondz > Todd Howard

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Someone post a build for complete dipshit morons and I'll give this game another whirl

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

kntfkr posted:

Todd Solondz > Todd Howard

Yea

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Who What Now posted:

Someone post a build for complete dipshit morons and I'll give this game another whirl

Race: Redguard
Sign: The Lady

Combat focus

Majors:

Long Blade
Heavy Armor
Speechcraft
Security
Block

Minors:
Athletics
Acrobatics
Armorer
Merchantile
Medium Armor

Wear heavy armor, use swords, gently caress poo poo up right out of the gate. Security should let you handle most basic locks/traps. With a starting value of 50 in Long Blade you'll easily gently caress up most enemies. If you find a tough enemy that you can't handle, either come back later or try using Adrenaline Rush (the Redguard racial). Adrenaline Rush is one of if not the best racials in the game. It turns you into a veritable killing machine. Heavy Armor will keep you alive and some of the best enchanted items in the game are Heavy Armor.

Good starting guilds for such a character would be Fighter's Guild/Imperial Legion/House Redoran. Those all fit the skills you have and have good rewards for a combat based character.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Is magic worth using?

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Magic is worth abusing

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Sweet, instead of taking that good advice I'm gonna be an argonian illusionsist instead

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Who What Now posted:

Is magic worth using?

It's really good. Conjuration in particular is broken levels of good at low levels. Why is that? Because Bound Weaposn loving rule. They are summonable weapons which are Daedric quality (Daedric is like the highest tier type of weapon in the game) and they fortify your weapon skill by 10 points to boot. A really strong thing to do is make a Battlemage type character and summon weapons and beat enemies up with them.

I only didn't recommend that for you because some people don't wanna gently caress around with magic as newbies but it's really damned strong.

The other magic skills are varying levels of useful as well but Conjuration is by far my favorite just because of how ridiculously strong bound weapons are in the early game. Like as Redguard you could be out of the gate walking around with 60 long blade (once you summon a sword) which is pretty devastating.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I love playing gish characters, teach me how to be a blade summoner

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The best character to play is with a focus in athletics and acrobatics

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Who What Now posted:

I love playing gish characters, teach me how to be a blade summoner

Pick the Atronach as sign, pick a weapon your race favors, pick Conjuration. Pick whatever other magical skills you want, and pick an armor style. Buy a bound weapon spell from the mage's guild. Summon that weapon in combat and beat the gently caress outta people with your OP summoned sword or whatever.

You can also use Illusion to gently caress with enemies in between beating them up with your conjured weapon. Or you can supplement with destruction spells. The Atronach as a sign means you don't regenerate magicka from resting but it also makes you absorb 50% of any enemy spells cast on you and gives you mana back that way. You can also use a shrine at a Temple to refill your magic bar.

Pick Mysticism, buy mark/recall, buy almsivi intervention. When you're close to empty in magic, cast mark wherever you are, and then cast Almsivi intervention. Walk into the nearest temple, cast shrine buffs on yourself and it should refill your magic bar once some of them get absorbed. Then just cast recall to go right back to what you were doing.

I love this stupid old game

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER posted:

the real endgame of morrowind is to make an elaborate stash of crap somewhere - sometimes in your room in the great house stronghold you’re supposed to build but i’ve also sometimes just taken over a corner of the balmora mages guild etc. sixth house amulets, soul gems and insanely valuable weapons strewn about like some kind of nest

the good thing with morrowind is it doesn’t have a proper physics system so you don’t have advanced physics features such as all the stuff you arranged in a room flying around like crazy if you touch anything, like in skyrim
I remember getting obsessed with collecting souls of significant npcs and making weapons with them. Vivec's soul was appropriately overpowered.

Basically, I was a troll obsessed with that boy's soul.

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

It's not part of the the charm, it sucks dick, even when you're utterly broken the enchanting system and are just flying around at mach speed with broke rear end weapons it feels like poo poo. It isn't janky in some kind of fun Gothic style way where the combat has really weird rules, mechanics, and controls. You just click and you either kill poo poo or miss nonstop and don't kill it.

Arx Fatalis again, is a very good example of jank that DOES have charm, because there's still something enjoyable about the combat even though it's a PitA half the time. There is nothing to enjoy about Morrowind's combat because it doesn't even make your broke rear end poo poo feel fun.

you have 1 Int

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Slugworth posted:

I remember getting obsessed with collecting souls of significant npcs and making weapons with them. Vivec's soul was appropriately overpowered.

Basically, I was a troll obsessed with that boy's soul.

U can name them too so you can trap Fargoth's soul and name the weapon "Worthless PoS Inside"

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

You know that town irl where they mowed that guy down in broad daylight with a ton of witnesses but nobody said anything because they hated him so much? Thats basically Fargoth to Seyda Neen

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

House Hlaalu guards burst into Rethan Manor and goggle at the poo poo smeared gallery of images of Fargoth with chitin throwing stars protruding from their foreheads.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Oh my Lord it only goes up to 1280x960?!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Who What Now posted:

Oh my Lord it only goes up to 1280x720?!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

ikanreed posted:

You don't get it. If you put things that totally suck rear end throughout your game, no one will ever complain about the ending.

They solved the mass effect 3 problem a decade in advance.

Oblivion's ending sucked rear end. Skyrim's ending sucked rear end. No cliff racers.

Just realized I probably have put several hundred hours into the various Elder Scrolls games and never beat a single one of them

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
Has anyone done the vampire questline? Its the only thing i havent done and im thinking of giving it a try

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
i went and found my old copy of the Official Strategy Guide

ama

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

i went and found my old copy of the Official Strategy Guide

ama

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
uh that page is missing, sorry dude

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

uh that page is missing, sorry dude

Then the guide is useless

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Analytic Engine posted:

gently caress you. cliff racers

Analytic Engine posted:

Analytic Engine posted:

Analytic Engine posted:

Analytic Engine posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981