Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

Angery reacts only

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
https://youtu.be/OXRWQefGh1U

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
tfw you finally upgraded your graphics card and could see the cool water effect

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I never heard of elder scrolls until oblivion (I'm gen x). But I couldn't get into when I did try it. Outdated graphics and no nostalgia for it wasn't for me.

Now if you put a space quest Infront of me I'll play them all straight through 1-6

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Ziv Zulander posted:

Cry me a river.
Build me a bridge
And get over it

Snowy Granius will be waiting on the other side

to gently caress your s'wit rear end up

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ziv Zulander posted:

Yeah that’s the fun of it. Janky rear end impenetrable bullshit that just breaks itself in half if you put in the effort to learn it

None of this is even close to correct. Morrowind combat & game mechanics suck, and the way that they suck is never good even when you break them. It's fun to break them because you feel you're getting one over on the game, but that still doesn't make them at all good.

It's cool if you enjoy the way they suck, I do too because I also have a ton of nostalgia for the game. And there's a certain aspect where janky & bad & breakable is better than the mediocre of later ES games. Combat isn't super fun in Skyrim either. But on any objective sense it's not good.

Morrowind is good and one of the top RPGs of all time because it's one of about 10 games from that era with a good story & writing.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Waiting patiently for Skywind ITT.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I bought my wife Skywind Sword HD for her birthday she loves Zelda

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Here's a lore breakdown for anyone that's a bit hazy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ow5lGFju1c

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Saint Jiub was the real messiah of Vvardenfall.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

i remember back in 2003 people wouldn't shut the gently caress up about planescape torment being the best rpg ever so classic gbs thinks you're wrong and will call you some slurs now

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Inept posted:

i remember back in 2003 people wouldn't shut the gently caress up about planescape torment being the best rpg ever

it's both the best rp ever and even worse of a g than morrowind

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
If you like Morrowind put Darklands on your wishlist on steam, it goes on sale for like $2 bucks and it definitely gives the same vibe as Morrowind.

big rear end world, just plops you into it, doesn't hold your hand for poo poo. good luck even trying to figure out how to convert all the moon german currencies or even tell what time it is when monks tell you to be somewhere at three vespers. then a witch may curse you and shrink your dick

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Morrowind is so easy to the point of being relaxing, especially because of the music.

quick edit: And if you have an hard time just come back later and do something else.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I really liked the pilgrimage quest, would usually join the Temple just for that. IMO every main faction should have something like that early on as an excuse to open up the map a bit and see the sights.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Captain Beans posted:

If you like Morrowind put Darklands on your wishlist on steam, it goes on sale for like $2 bucks and it definitely gives the same vibe as Morrowind.

big rear end world, just plops you into it, doesn't hold your hand for poo poo. good luck even trying to figure out how to convert all the moon german currencies or even tell what time it is when monks tell you to be somewhere at three vespers. then a witch may curse you and shrink your dick

Lol I mentioned Darklands earlier

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R
both the temple questlines are legit as hell and some of my fav things in the game. i like the imperial cult being an irrelevant foreign religion with no money that's basically achieving nothing besides scrounging corkbulb from farmers etc. plus occasionally plundering the odd dungeon. and the tribunal temple at the other end of the scale being a big, highly-ritualised machine with zealous ordinators a top-heavy bureaucratic management who have wandered so far away from the tribunal gods that they don't notice when one of them disappears and another goes mad. and you get to do the thing where you taunt the daedra

i also like the fact that the imperial cult is true and you meet talos in a bar that one time. i mean "weak-theology polytheistic religion that nobody gives a poo poo about any more turns out to be true" is a pretty well worn fantasy trope but still

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The Temple is probably my favorite Morrowind faction. The quests are really good. The Sanctus pilgrimage is fun if you don't cheese it. Having to walk from Vivec all the way up to near Dagon Fel without fast travel is pretty rowdy.

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

(hair tousled from head shaking during speeches)

Captain Beans posted:

seems a lil more daggerfall-esque than morrowind tbh

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
Whats your guys favourite morrowind town? I like chilling in pelegiad with the khajjit thief that tells you secrets

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
Balmora is my home. I usually take Ralen Hlaalu's mansion. the one with the dead guy whose body serves as a bottomless chest.

Zainab Camp and Hla Oad are my favorite towns in the game though.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Classic Comrade posted:

seems a lil more daggerfall-esque than morrowind tbh

probably true. but to me what made morrowind feel really special was how much freedom and lack of real direction you have right from the beginning of the game (thats also daggerfall I guess).

the mechanics in the two games are very different but in darklands you can day 1 start robbing people, or try mixing up your own alchemist brews as a basement/garage wizard, or just go pray a bunch in the church and see if you can get some jesus powers, and when you get quests it doesn't mark poo poo on a map but you better listen and write some notes ("witches have their evil cabal south of xxx in the winter"). the character creation system is also a ton of fun to play with.

anyway back to morrowind - the main menu music will be seared into my brain for all time, what a great little tune

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Aug 12, 2021

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
Darklands also has the best character creation system of all time. It's super deep and almost all of the skills are useful in some way or another. It's a really tough game and it's from 1992, but it plays a LOT smoother than you'd expect a game from 1992 to be. Granted, it's not smooth by today's standards, but you can figure out combat fairly quickly by beating up weak bandits in the first town. It's really, really, really good and worth trying for 2 bucks. Maybe it will grab you.

And to Beans, Serpent In The Staglands is a game that you may like. It's not exactly like Darklands in that you take a more linear path through the game. But the combat and tone is definitely Darklands inspired. It's hard but it's good.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Darklands had an absolutely enormous budget and the length of its development was very abnormal for the time. It reflects in the game itself. It's one of the most "complete" feeling RPGs in existence and realizes its setting and worldbuilding in a way that I haven't seen so well reflected mechanically in anything outside of like Kind of Dragon Pass.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

I'm not playing a game set in Germany when I can instead play Morrowind, which is set in Albania.

naem
May 29, 2011

it was before my time but this forum made me curious, so I installed, ran to the city, crafted the spells/potions that give you infinite flight and fireballs, and flew around burning things for about half an hour

3.5 out of 5

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
Yall convinced me imma buy darklands after work

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Klyith posted:

it's both the best rp ever and even worse of a g than morrowind

This opinion is a warcrime

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I'm a god. How can you kill a god? What a grand and intoxicating innocence.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

It's a shame what happened to Morrowind after Vivic was no longer a god.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

runnypoops posted:

Whats your guys favourite morrowind town? I like chilling in pelegiad with the khajjit thief that tells you secrets

this is a tough question. sadrith mora i guess

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

runnypoops posted:

I'll go with Ald Ruhn. House Redoran having a big crab base rules and it's also a got a nice Temple. It's also got a nice central location where you can go North or South on the map easily via fast travel and it's got the Mages guild for teleportation as well.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i quite like caldera. you can murder the guy in the house next to the mages guild and take his house. he's an alcoholic in financial trouble so really you're doing him a favour

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Darklands also has the best character creation system of all time. It's super deep and almost all of the skills are useful in some way or another. It's a really tough game and it's from 1992, but it plays a LOT smoother than you'd expect a game from 1992 to be. Granted, it's not smooth by today's standards, but you can figure out combat fairly quickly by beating up weak bandits in the first town. It's really, really, really good and worth trying for 2 bucks. Maybe it will grab you.

And to Beans, Serpent In The Staglands is a game that you may like. It's not exactly like Darklands in that you take a more linear path through the game. But the combat and tone is definitely Darklands inspired. It's hard but it's good.

sweet thanks for the recommendation, I'll add it to my wishlist. Definitely looks like its going for a Darklands/Ultima vibe. Loving that the steam reviews blast it for being too hard, thats fine. Darklands is hard as balls and I'll 100% never 'beat' the game but it was still fun as hell

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Kenshi is a good game if you want a weird and alien setting to explore, very little forced narrative, and a janky stats system to break over your knee

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Clark Nova posted:

Kenshi is a good game if you want a weird and alien setting to explore, very little forced narrative, and a janky stats system to break over your knee

Kenshi's setting really hits a lot of the same notes as Morrowind. They're very different settings but they're both interesting and unique.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007
But to this place, where steamed hams are made, why have you come unprepared?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpb-YflRn0s

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Darth Brooks posted:

It's a shame what happened to Morrowind after Vivic was no longer a god.

morrowind deserved getting blown up. just a bunch of evil slavers being colonized by racist romans whie simultaneously oppressing even more marginalized, but still slaving, ashlanders

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Darklands had an absolutely enormous budget and the length of its development was very abnormal for the time. It reflects in the game itself. It's one of the most "complete" feeling RPGs in existence and realizes its setting and worldbuilding in a way that I haven't seen so well reflected mechanically in anything outside of like Kind of Dragon Pass.

does it have cat people? hard pass if not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
also the game is about abusing the alchemy system so hard the game crashes