Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Leadthumb posted:

Have you checked out the fall av thread? :ohdear:

whoa.... thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

American McGay posted:

She was right.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

b_d posted:

whoa.... thank you

mbt posted:

my mom used to believe all dreams were premonitions or warnings. one day I told her about my cool dream where mega man came to our house because mario lost his hat and was taking extra damage. she said something like "it means be nicer to your brothers" and I felt ripped off

I got the tude now posted:

You had that dream about link breaking all the pots bc your room is messy.

lol

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Got kicked out of after-school computer club because my friend and I were playing Duke 3D

Not our fault it was already on the network for us to find :colbert:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
CADD class became god tier once we figured out how to run multiplayer in the Java port of Quake 1 lol.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

The classroom they hosted driver safety in had a single computer in the back that had a sign in sheet to research dmv stuff. The sign in sheet was maxed out every day because there was some atv game installed on it and everyone just drove around in sandbox mode crashing into poo poo to make the little guy go flying off lol

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

CADD class became god tier once we figured out how to run multiplayer in the Java port of Quake 1 lol.

We would play Q3 demo during Drafting and lord sociology teacher would join in and whoop a respectable amount of rear end.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Leadthumb posted:

The classroom they hosted driver safety in had a single computer in the back that had a sign in sheet to research dmv stuff. The sign in sheet was maxed out every day because there was some atv game installed on it and everyone just drove around in sandbox mode crashing into poo poo to make the little guy go flying off lol

lol

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Wormskull posted:

We would play Q3 demo during Drafting and lord sociology teacher would join in and whoop a respectable amount of rear end.

lol badass

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Wormskull posted:

Awesome.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In 4th grade we had a few computers in the classroom with some kind of DOS-based GUI to access some edutainment games like Odell Lake, Lemonade Stand, Number Munchers, stuff like that. One time I saw the teacher log into it with his username and he had Doom on there.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Dude if I got fragged by the teacher I would never play again lol

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I too had a high school multimedia class where nobody did any work. I remember seeing this one kid emulating Super Metroid and he had clearly missed some items on the way to Kraid. I awkwardly pointed this out trying to be helpful but he thought I was bragging or something and got nasty.

These are the meaningless social interactions that I will never forget and cause me mild anxiety even 20 years later.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

bees x1000 posted:

I too had a high school multimedia class where nobody did any work. I remember seeing this one kid emulating Super Metroid and he had clearly missed some items on the way to Kraid. I awkwardly pointed this out trying to be helpful but he thought I was bragging or something and got nasty.

These are the meaningless social interactions that I will never forget and cause me mild anxiety even 20 years later.

stop backseatimg

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

elf help book posted:

stop backseatimg

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

My first console was an SNES, and I got Link to the Past for it as one of my first games when I was probably 7. I made it to the Dark World ok, but then I couldn't figure out how to beat the scorpion boss in the first dungeon despite many attempts. So I just moved on. I kept being able to clear dungeons except for being unable to kill the boss, so I ended up clearing every dungeon in the Dark World without killing any of the bosses. I think I might have done that and then just started the game over a few times before I actually beat it.

I didn't realize you could just hit the moldorm boss' tail to hurt it either (weak points were not yet a concept I was familiar with). The only way I could figure out how to hurt it was to charge it with the pegasus boots. Dozens of attempts of charging the boss, hoping to damage it and then stop the charge in time to not fall and reset the fight

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

elf help book posted:

stop backseatimg

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

elf help book posted:

stop backseatimg

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Told this story years ago in a different thread but I used to be terrified of the outside of Peach’s castle in SM64. My sister had told me that if I don’t get to the front door in 10 seconds then Bowser would jump out of the big stain glass window and kill me. I used to book it as fast as I feasibly could to the door, sometimes screaming in fear.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

NienNunb posted:

Told this story years ago in a different thread but I used to be terrified of the outside of Peach’s castle in SM64. My sister had told me that if I don’t get to the front door in 10 seconds then Bowser would jump out of the big stain glass window and kill me. I used to book it as fast as I feasibly could to the door, sometimes screaming in fear.

Lmao

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

NienNunb posted:

lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

NienNunb posted:

Lol

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

NienNunb posted:

lomao

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

NienNunb posted:

It was probably my first game so it's maybe understandable but a lot of Mario 64 scared me as a five year old. One time I missed climbing the final elevator in Whomp's Fortress and screamed and turned the game off I guess out of fear that a Whomp would do 1 damage to me.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

NienNunb posted:

lol

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I was too lovely at it so me and my sister just made Mario crawl around in the castle pretending he was a baby whenever we rented it. We rented it specifically to do that.

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

NienNunb posted:

Wormskull posted:

I was too lovely at it so me and my sister just made Mario crawl around in the castle pretending he was a baby whenever we rented it. We rented it specifically to do that.

Lol

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Wormskull posted:

Lmao

very nice i like
Jan 8, 2020

I CANT RESIST SHITTING UP THE BIG BOOBS THREAD WITH MY RANDOM FUCKING MONKEY CHEESE BULLSHIT! IF YOU SEE ME, FUCK ME UP.

Wormskull posted:

Being too young to understand how to leave the starting area in several games ftw

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

NienNunb posted:

Wormskull posted:

Lmao

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Wormskull posted:

lmao

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It was probably my first game so it's maybe understandable but a lot of Mario 64 scared me as a five year old. One time I missed climbing the final elevator in Whomp's Fortress and screamed and turned the game off I guess out of fear that a Whomp would do 1 damage to me.

Wormskull posted:

Lmfao

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

NienNunb posted:

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Wormskull posted:

lmao

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

My first gaming computer was a Spectrum

You had to load games off cassette tape and sit through ~5 minutes of ear torture before you could even play anything

like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTUvJtIfWFE

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

NienNunb posted:

lol trolly older sisters ftw

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Wormskull posted:

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

My sister insisted they were saying "Cherry cola!" in the Daytona USA song just to rile me up, and it worked for longer than I ever want to admit

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

NienNunb posted:

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

My sister insisted they were saying "Cherry cola!" in the Daytona USA song just to rile me up, and it worked for longer than I ever want to admit

Wormskull posted:

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

lmao

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Wormskull posted:

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

When I first rented FF6 as a kid I couldn’t figure out how to get past the first screen of the mines for some reason so I never even fought the whelk boss. I just loaded up somebody else’s save in the cartridge which was right at the opera part and I had no idea what was going on