Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
i had a gameboy when i was 5 and my mom got really into tetris. one day she called me into the living room because she had beaten b mode on 9 speed, and she wanted me to see something "amazing" in the game. i asked her "is it a rainbow", and she said "no even better" and it was the victory screen for beating level 9 high 0, so just like 2 violin dudes playing this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwT9gVCLl8g

it was better than a rainbow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

heehee posted:

i really wanted crash bandicoot as a kid, so i would always beg my mom to get it whenever she went to the store. she came back from costco one time and i asked if she got it, she said yea, here it is and put a container of goldbond foot powder on a table near the front door. my excitement rendered me retarded and i spent like 5 minutes trying to figure out how this was a video game, slowly going through the stages of grief before realizing it wasn't a game and running to my room to have a tantrum for the rest of the day

lmao

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

was an amiga/ atari kid, had my mind completely blown by a friend showing me mario 64

thank you nintendo

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

heehee posted:

i really wanted crash bandicoot as a kid, so i would always beg my mom to get it whenever she went to the store. she came back from costco one time and i asked if she got it, she said yea, here it is and put a container of goldbond foot powder on a table near the front door. my excitement rendered me retarded and i spent like 5 minutes trying to figure out how this was a video game, slowly going through the stages of grief before realizing it wasn't a game and running to my room to have a tantrum for the rest of the day

lmao

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

also i think being really bad at metal slug arcade cabinets whenever given the money to play is a perfect and beautiful experience

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

heehee posted:

lol

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I may have told this story before but one of my first gaming memories is my dad finding Super Mario RPG at target and getting really excited about the new Mario game.

In the first area he tries jumping on a koopa and gets incredibly pissed off that it starts a battle instead of just killing the koopa. He starts yelling about how they ruined Mario and he's going to get a refund for this crappy game. I convinced him to keep it and it became one of my favorite games but he still hates it

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

my mom took me to the store and told me I could pick one game and I picked Zelda cause the cartridge was shiny gold. We played through it together and since then she's played Zelda on basically every Nintendo system. My kids just came back from a week at grandma's house and immediately demanded breath of the wild

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
why didnt you already have breath of the wild

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
2-day rentals of SNES "tapes" (we called them "cassettes" en français) at the local movie rental place on Friday afternoons.

Memorizing the store's product numbers on the game boxes in an effort to keep renting the same copy of LTTP or whatever week after week, hoping that no one deleted my save file.

Learning pro gamer tricks from my friend in 3rd grade, like using vanish/doom combo in Final Fantasy 3/6, or the secret vendor for Amulets of Annihilation in secret of evermore.

Renting my first N64 game without knowing what a memory card is or why I needed one.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

elf help book posted:

why didnt you already have breath of the wild

I do, but it was on Wii U and not Switch. They got out alcohol swabs and cleaned the stuck buttons on the gamepad so they could play it.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

I’ve told this story before but my brother and I would call the rental place whenever we got stuck in a game. They eventually told us to stop calling.

very nice i like
Jan 8, 2020

I CANT RESIST SHITTING UP THE BIG BOOBS THREAD WITH MY RANDOM FUCKING MONKEY CHEESE BULLSHIT! IF YOU SEE ME, FUCK ME UP.

From the family gamer vault - thanks to modern technology I'm able to present to you this image without the limitations of disposable cameras holding anything back

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?

P-Mack posted:

I saved up all year to buy a power glove but my mom convinced me to instead open my own bank account that paid like .005% interest. The glove would have been a much better investment.

interest rates were way higher than that in the 80s

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Caithness posted:

interest rates were way higher than that in the 80s

It was a passbook account, I dunno if they even exist any more but they basically served no financial purpose beyond not keeping your cash in a piggy bank.

playing a ton of Metroid but always starting from the beginning because I could never write down the 32 character case sensitive password without a mistake

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Having only played a little snes stuff at friends houses, it absolutely blew my mind come christmas one year when I got an n64 with ocarina of time. It was the greatest most perfect game imaginable to me, and I remember when a friend showed me how to get Dins fire I loudly declared it to be the best day of my life.

My mom got sort of pissed at me for that, lol. Sorry mom, it's Nintendo.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

heehee posted:

The Menendez father did this same thing in August 1989 with Mega Man 2 and a bottle of Oil of Olay.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

One time I was playing the original Zelda and I got lost in the Death Mountain dungeon for a long time and the music got stuck in my head so bad that I couldn't sleep and my mom wouldn't let me play videogames after eight for years and years. I did kill Ganon though, making it the first game I ever officially beat.

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

I used to pretend to play the demos of coin-op motorcycle / driving games whenever my family would come across them.

When my family lived in Bahrain I remember my mom taking me to a local fabric / tailoring shop. While I sat and waited one of the guys that worked there tried to make small talk with me by asking me how many games I had on my Gameboy Color cartridge. I was playing a legit copy of Pokemon Yellow so I was mad loving confused by his question. I told him I only had only one game on the cartridge and just kind of glared at him, still really confused and put off.... Looking back, I think he was somehow making a reference to the bootleg cartridges with like hundreds of games on them that were super popular all over the country.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
We had err this game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4Ad3JMgkZU

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Got introduced to Super Mario 1 on a trip to my grandparents. Was so fascinated, I went home and re-drew worlds 1-1 and 1-2 (the furthest I managed to get) on paper for an art project. Even measured the bricks, as well as I could. Didn't know about the warp zone, though; that blew my mind the next time I saw the game.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
staying up late as hell for the first time christmas night to play ocarina for the first time. the christmas night game sesh is still the best of the year, this last one was dq11.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

heehee posted:

lmfao

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
my sister and I saved up when we were young and bought my dad a Gameboy for father's day. I think spent the next year begging to play it at every opportunity

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I got the tude now posted:

staying up late as hell for the first time christmas night to play ocarina for the first time. the christmas night game sesh is still the best of the year, this last one was dq11.

As a kid I only got new videogames on Christmas so I know the feeling.

Mister Panos
Jan 26, 2011

heehee posted:

lmao

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
7 year old me begged parents for a nintendo after playing Rambo on nes at my cousins, but they were adamant about it being a waste, kids should play outside etc. Big last present from grandma on christmas is an snes, super Mario world and gradius 3. Dad was like "1 hour a day, after you're done with homework" lol, he seemed so annoyed. Grandma ftw

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Playing Zelda 1 at like 5 years old, my parents told me Link lived in the space above the garage between his adventures. He (my patrents) would leave me little gifts I would find there for each dungeon I beat. First a letter thanking me for helping on the quest, then rupees (sea glass), then a map of Hyrule they drew, etc. A really nice memory. The series has always been special to me but that experience as a kid kicks it into something truly magical.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

one time my grandma gave me and my brother like $10 each in quarters at an arcade in Reno and we beat the Simpsons arcade game. Other kids would show up for a while but none had the epic grandma money so only we made it to the end, it was exhausting but still pretty epic

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

very nice i like posted:

From the family gamer vault - thanks to modern technology I'm able to present to you this image without the limitations of disposable cameras holding anything back

respect.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
The first game I ever played was Kings Quest 5. My dad was playing it while writing his thesis. .
It's now regarded as one of the bad Kings Quests but I love that game and play through it at least once a year.

Also getting a Gameboy when I was about 9, I got it way after the GBC was out and almost to the point where the GBA was about to come out so finding games for it was pretty difficult. But it played pokemon so I was loving overjoyed with that and I think that game was in the system for probably a year without being removed.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Big Bizness posted:

Playing Zelda 1 at like 5 years old, my parents told me Link lived in the space above the garage between his adventures. He (my patrents) would leave me little gifts I would find there for each dungeon I beat. First a letter thanking me for helping on the quest, then rupees (sea glass), then a map of Hyrule they drew, etc. A really nice memory. The series has always been special to me but that experience as a kid kicks it into something truly magical.
This owns

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Big Bizness posted:

Insanely good parents

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

sourdough posted:

7 year old me begged parents for a nintendo after playing Rambo on nes at my cousins, but they were adamant about it being a waste, kids should play outside etc. Big last present from grandma on christmas is an snes, super Mario world and gradius 3. Dad was like "1 hour a day, after you're done with homework" lol, he seemed so annoyed. Grandma ftw

Awesome grandma

Big Bizness posted:

Awesome 'rents

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Big Bizness posted:

drat cool

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Awesome grandma

Awesome 'rents

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Big Bizness posted:

Beautiful…

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

CyberPingu posted:

The first game I ever played was Kings Quest 5. My dad was playing it while writing his thesis. .
It's now regarded as one of the bad Kings Quests but I love that game and play through it at least once a year.

I was obsessed with KQ5 in third grade to the point that for our "Young Author's Day" project that year I wrote and illustrated a 50 page book on it when they were supposed to be 7 pages at most.

My teacher spent story time reading that literary equivalent of a GameFAQs walkthrough to everyone, hope it saved on some calls to the hint line. I remember calling Sierra about the locket and the loving sack of peas you throw over the cat.

Hiraeth
May 14, 2021
memory is a little fuzzy but when i was 9 or 10 years old i saw a copy of kirby 64 at a flea market and i kept talking about how i really wanted that game. my mother seemed like she didn't want to because i don't fuckin' know – she only ever went to flea markets to browse but she would never actually buy anything. brother convinced her to get the game for me as a surprise because he knew i really wanted it for years. still have that same cartridge today. love ya, bud

Big Bizness posted:

:unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I was around 8 years old, sitting in the living room, playing with my Mario toys:

My older sister came into the room, made me and my parents sit on the couch, and watch as she recreated 9/11 with the toys. She had Luigi play Osama Bin Laden. I wasn’t happy about any of this.