Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Because we should always be better

Good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

DickParasite posted:

"fine" in the sense that biodiversity will probably eventually recover as it did following previous mass extinctions. Of course that'll mean new species, ecosystems, etc...

no no no no no you dont GET IT the /planet/ is gonna be fine

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

DickParasite posted:

"fine" in the sense that biodiversity will probably eventually recover as it did following previous mass extinctions. Of course that'll mean new species, ecosystems, etc...

First things first

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

The Saucer Hovers posted:

no no no no no you dont GET IT the /planet/ is gonna be fine

If it makes you feel better in 600 million years or so the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere will drop low enough that the majority of plant life will be unsustainable anyway.

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017
We should ask FYAD what their thoughts are on all this. I bet they'd have some good wisdom to share in the matter.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Play posted:

I'm well aware that regular citizens aren't the primary contributors but the more poo poo you buy, the more you drive around in gas guzzlers or at all, the more plane flights you take, the more disposable plastic you use, the worse it is. Reduce reuse recycle and limit greenhouse gasses.

Who do you think all those companies are producing their single-use garbage for?

You could start setting a good example by not double-spacing, the extra space is very wasteful. You're not writing on a typewriter, anyways.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Harrow posted:

There is research that suggests that focusing on advocating for personal-level action can actually dull the will for governmental/societal-level action, for a few reasons, but partially because it can make it seem like governmental action is not needed if we all just "do our part :shobon:"

That said I can no longer live with myself if I don't make changes. I'm lucky to be moving to a very walkable city with decent public transport at the end of the month and so will cut my own personal driving to basically nothing. I already almost never fly, it fuckin sucks anyway. Maybe I can cut that down from "roughly once a year" to "never" if I give up on my dreams of visiting other countries. I'm doing my best to conserve energy, eat meat only rarely, stop buying single-use plastic, etc. I know none of this adds up to anything and our supply chains are so goddamn complicated that there are probably a few ways what I'm doing is actually worse in ways that I could never have known about, but I sincerely don't think I could continue existing if I didn't do something.

I'm getting involved and organizing, too, but I will feel like a hypocrite if I do that while eating burgers and driving everywhere and running my AC full blast when I'm moderately uncomfortable and throwing Ziploc bags out all the time and all of that.

It's an impossible feeling to escape, I think.

Individual action does inform societal action. And yes, we all do need to "do your part", there's no magic bullet. People just say that individual action doesn't matter because they want to feel better about not doing anything, and can't be honest to themselves.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Fame Douglas posted:

Individual action does inform societal action. And yes, we all do need to "do your part", there's no magic bullet. People just say that individual action doesn't matter because they want to feel better about not doing anything, and can't be honest to themselves.

Yes but have you considered no ethical consumption under capitalism????

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

DickParasite posted:

Yes but have you considered no ethical consumption under capitalism????

I know. Right? loving capitalisms is everywhere!

Robin Williams
Aug 11, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Here's a pro-tip: Simply ignore capitalism.

Have a great day with this one trick. You're welcome.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Robin Williams posted:

you are boring

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

DickParasite posted:

Uh it didn't really. Like yeah some bounce back sortve.But after the KT mass extinction the tree of life basically became a stump with one branch left. And all plant and animal life we've ever seen as a species has basically been that branch.

gently caress I wish i still had my old geology profs lecture for that he explained it really well.

Also yes OP planets dying. Super fast too.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Sentinel posted:

Uh it didn't really. Like yeah some bounce back sortve.But after the KT mass extinction the tree of life basically became a stump with one branch left. And all plant and animal life we've ever seen as a species has basically been that branch.

Yeah that's what I meant by "fine". Maybe insects will takeover after mammals die out. Who knows!?

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

STROMATOLITES 2: ELECTRIC BOOGALOO

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Sentinel posted:

STROMATOLITES 2: ELECTRIC BOOGALOO

They chill & better than krill

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 9 days!)

Fame Douglas posted:

I don't think you're right about that. You're accusing people who don't consciously reduce of wanting to feel better about doing nothing, but by focusing on your individual actions you're doing the same thing. Neither option is going to reverse or stop climate change. The individual consumer is a grain of sand.

Governments and corporations tell you to focus on your individual actions because it reduces the onus on them to make substanial changes at their own cost. They're the ones with all the power to enact the top level systemic changes that would actually reduce emissions at a level which would have an impact. None of us have the power to do that.

Bickering over the morality of individual consumption is performative. It's just re-directed individualist ideology serving it's purpose as a distraction.

By all means ditch your car, don't fly and eat local, but it isn't going to save the world.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Aug 14, 2021

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Robin Williams posted:

Omg if I close my eyes and bury my head, all problems disappear! Thanks 👍

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
*pushes up glasses*

Ehm, well technically, even if we turned the entire planet into molten lava down to level of the lowest microbes and blew off the entire atmosphere, that ball of dead dead rock is still technically a planet.

Humans and all life will be gone, but the planet will be fine.

I watched a Carlin bit about this and am very clever. No, I don't understand anything beyond the literal meanings of things at all. What the hell is nuance and colloquial speech?

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

roomtone posted:

Bickering over the morality of individual consumption is performative. It's just re-directed individualist ideology serving it's purpose as a distraction.

Tell me you're an internet leftist without telling me you're an internet leftist.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
it's all good guys, i'm reading superfreakonomics and if it gets too hot these scientists have this idea to nuke a bunch of volcanos and cover the sky in sunlight absorbing sulfur

you won't even need to wear your ray-bans anymore

Robin Williams
Aug 11, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I heard the planet will be fine.

Its just every thing we love and hold dear that will be destroyed.

So like get a grip.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

time to take after the billionaires and build a bunker in new zealand and gently caress sheep

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I took this video of the monsoon in Phoenix tonight, as you can see if you watch the whole thing Mother Nature is making concentrated efforts to destroy our airlines. Not so motherly after all? We are lucky her reflexes are so slow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6MI5VNleQg

(living so close to the airport in phoenix owns if you like watching planes fly in front of storms, but it doesn't own for any other reason)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 14, 2021

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine
So WAS the planet dying in Final Fantasy 7? Would more mako reactors have irreversibly damaged the planet itself?

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

The biggest we're hosed must be even if all 7-8 billion of us all died or hosed off right now there's still what? 150-250 years before the system begins to visibly right itself?
Just 2-4 Gens living a brighter future underground in Vaults that definitely don't even remotely technologically exist.
We might be hosed but were dragging every gorgeous godamn creation the bizarre riot of life graced our world with. And all 4 billion years of its history.

All for Air Conditioning, Gasoline and any plastic we've ever touched.
I hate it. I hate how most of my interaction with humanity at large always feels like you're the smart kid on the group project stuck doing all the work because everyone else is too dumb and yolo's out.
Sorry SA but this is why i drink at night.

Sentinel fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Aug 14, 2021

Robin Williams
Aug 11, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Sentinel posted:

The biggest we're hosed must be even if all 7-8 billion of us all died or hosed off right now there's still what? 150-250 years before the system begins to visibly right itself?
Just 2-4 Gens living a brighter future underground in Vaults that definitely don't even remotely technologically exist.
We might be hosed but were dragging every gorgeous godamn creation the bizarre riot of life graced our world with. And all 4 billion years of its history.

All for Air Conditioning, Gasoline and any plastic we've ever touched.
I hate it. I hate how most of my interaction with humanity at large always feels like you're the smart kid on the group project stuck doing all the work because everyone else is too dumb and yolo's out.
Sorry SA but this is why i drink at night.

"And I drink myself to sleep because I'm losing faith that any of us will ever amount to anything more than reluctant human subsidies, the moving parts in a death-machine, protesting their complicity, but waiting for somebody else to throw their body on the churning gears"

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

deep dish peat moss posted:

I took this video of the monsoon in Phoenix tonight, as you can see if you watch the whole thing Mother Nature is making concentrated efforts to destroy our airlines. Not so motherly after all? We are lucky her reflexes are so slow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6MI5VNleQg

(living so close to the airport in phoenix owns if you like watching planes fly in front of storms, but it doesn't own for any other reason)

i watched this 4 times and the plane still didn't blow up

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Inept posted:

time to take after the billionaires and build a bunker in new zealand and gently caress sheep

What do you think we are down here, uncouth welshmen? We make love to our sheep and would never let a billionaire have their way with them.

roomtone posted:

I don't think you're right about that. You're accusing people who don't consciously reduce of wanting to feel better about doing nothing, but by focusing on your individual actions because you're doing the same thing because neither option is going to reverse or stop climate change. The individual consumer is a grain of sand.

Governments and corporations tell you to focus on your individual actions because it reduces the onus on them to make substanial changes at their own cost. They're the ones with all the power to enact the top level systemic changes that would actually reduce emissions at a level which would have an impact. None of us have the power to do that.

By all means ditch your car, don't fly and eat local, but it isn't going to save the world.

I think you're right in that the bickering is actively harmful but I see individual change as a neccessary but not sufficient condition for things to get better. We're probably not going to get the neccessary centralized change needed so I wouldn't criticize someone for not making much in the way of individual changes. Like that other fellow though I feel strongly enough about making some efforts to do so that not doing so would make my life worse.
In conclusion the only hope for global civilization is a violent coup in America post haste and that's still a massive longshot.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

God will save us. He told me himself he has some trill rear end plans for this planet m. All the hot poo poo in the atmosphere will probably really help with allergies and congestion. If you steam some water on your electric stove top you can see this in action. It's really crazy how God do that.

Robin Williams
Aug 11, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Just advocate for assisted dying in your state or learn about exit bags

When you see the pale blue flame of the atmosphere burning up rushing toward you...vacation forever

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

i wonder what all the species that will repopulate the earth in a couple hundred million years time will look like

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Sentinel posted:

gently caress I wish i still had my old geology profs lecture for that he explained it really well.

Sounds like your geology teacher was dumb as hell actually

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Robin Williams posted:

Just advocate for assisted dying in your state or learn about exit bags

Don't forget - in most places life insurance will still pay out for suicide if you've had the policy for more than a couple years (make sure you read the fine print).

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

r u ready to WALK posted:

i wonder what all the species that will repopulate the earth in a couple hundred million years time will look like

Theyre gonna be gay. The torch will be passed on

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
all you gotta do is make sure you die before the planet does and you wont even notice

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.

Dear Watson posted:

What’s the best drug to start taking so I don’t feel sad ever again

Pentobarbital.

Robin Williams
Aug 11, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

DickParasite posted:

Don't forget - in most places life insurance will still pay out for suicide if you've had the policy for more than a couple years (make sure you read the fine print).

Cant spend money in hell my friend

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

DickParasite posted:

Exactly evolution will always deliver more beautiful stuff in time. Also crabs, it will produce a lot of crabs.

Robin Williams
Aug 11, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Strategic Tea posted:

Exactly evolution will always deliver more beautiful stuff in time. Also crabs, it will produce a lot of crabs.

My Bones: I hope theres crabs on the surface 6ft above

If i was buried alone in a grave and not jut part of some wash up on a shore and bobcat scooped into a mass grave after a climate change common tsunami.

Or left steaming in a Shipping container until unrecognisable like after Katrina or the 2004 tsunami

Robin Williams fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Aug 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

A benevolent skeleton is home for the neocrabs of the future. God bless