Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

How do we know it's not just a bunch of made up fiction the boomers are telling us in order to keep us compliant? The story of the founding fathers sounds too fantastical to be true. :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
Time is fake you fool everything we see is really an illusion upon the wall and that wall is video games

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

white men did genocide isnt far fetched im confused

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

books about books

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

i mean if you're talking about the stuff you learn in your high school text books then yeah, it's fake

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I have a closet full of t-shirts commemorating American history. Are you trying to say my t-shirts aren't authentic?

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

The Saucer Hovers posted:

white men did genocide isnt far fetched im confused

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

R. Mute posted:

i mean if you're talking about the stuff you learn in your high school text books then yeah, it's fake

but how could the founders be genocidal slaveholding capitalists they were fans of jesus no?

bebop esq
Apr 17, 2006

hi boys

MLSM posted:

but how could the founders be genocidal slaveholding capitalists they were fans of jesus no?

onlyjesusfans

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

the colonies m'lord, I dunno

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
most of the founding fathers were deists, not christians. deism was a dumb fad religion that was very popular at the time, sort of like agnosticism with an extra layer of fart huffing.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Bitch idiot, I was THERE

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
As a person who can only cum in a room lined with paintings of the stern visages of all 56 signatories of the Declaration of independence I find the idea that American history is fake very unsettling.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Unless posted:

books about books

Youtube videos, Podcasts, and Tik Tok skits that are about books about books.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

you're gonna sit here, and you're gonna tell me george washington didn't actually have wooden legs

the founding father

not in this house. not in this house buddy

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

most of the founding fathers were deists, not christians. deism was a dumb fad religion that was very popular at the time, sort of like agnosticism with an extra layer of fart huffing.

Thanks for this I feel like I understand America much better now.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

the only way he was able to chew down the cherry tree was that his teeth were also made of the cherry wood

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
and then a lot of the stuff we learn about the founding fathers turns out to be so repulsive. how about founding females instead??????

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Fleetwood posted:

and then a lot of the stuff we learn about the founding fathers turns out to be so repulsive. how about founding females instead??????

the founding fathers being abhorrent people was just an aberration in american government

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

The Saucer Hovers posted:

the only way he was able to chew down the cherry tree was that his teeth were also made of the cherry wood

it was wild when i found out his false teeth were actually made from forcibly extracted slave teeth.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Look, the stuff you get taught in a US public school is by and large real, real twisted and fake even when it might have the appearance of coming by things honestly. To not hate this country you basically have to mythologize it and be white and decently well off.

Like it's kind of amazing. It's "whalers on the moon" but it's about our own mythical origin story.

The Aeneid for an even more brutal, racist imperium.

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost

Good soup! posted:

Bitch idiot, I was THERE

open and shut case johnson

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

it was wild when i found out his false teeth were actually made from forcibly extracted slave teeth.

i learned from my textbook that they gladly offered up their teeth, and he said Ho Ho Ho noooo noo no...these wooden teeth will do me fine! but the slaves would not be swayed, so they waited until the great general was asleep and replaced his teeth with their own!

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Fleetwood posted:

Dolly Madison literally couldn't get off unless she killed a dog.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

super sweet best pal posted:

How do we know it's not just a bunch of made up fiction the boomers are telling us in order to keep us compliant? The story of the founding fathers sounds too fantastical to be true. :tinfoil:

How do you know that anything that happened in the Trump presidency is real?

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Is Trump just Hillary in a mask?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

super sweet best pal posted:

It sounds fantastical because we've had 245 years to sand off all the rough edges.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

- To forget and to get one’s history wrong are essential factors in the making of a nation; and thus the advance of historical studies is often a danger to nationality.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Alexis de Tocqueville once wrote that America is like a big fart

just a big thhhhthbhtbthtbhtttht on the greater society

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
'the greater society' is also composed of farts, though.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

'the greater society' is also composed of farts, though.

well they didn't have fart theory back in the 19th century give the dude some slack

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer
because if you watch it a second time you'll notice that Bruce Willis and his movie wife aren't actually talking to each other

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

the world would be better if america never existed

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

ohrwurm posted:

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

ohrwurm posted:

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
You are an old man who thinks in terms of nations and peoples. There are no nations. There are no peoples. There are no Russians. There are no Arabs. There are no third worlds. There is no West. There is only one holistic system of systems, one vast and immane, interwoven, interacting, multivariate, multinational dominion of dollars.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
american: "muh history"

chinese/japanese/koreans/indians/egyptians/iranians/russians/english/italians/greeks/mexicans: :cawg:

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
history is just books on shelves

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it didn't happen. american history is so horrific that it can't be taught in any way appropriate for school children or anyone really. nearly every single detail you will ever read is embellished or abridged

what happened is europeans raped, murdered, or enslaved most of the original inhabitants, then when they ran out of people to rape murder and enslave they started shipping them in from africa instead. at the time europe wasn't too keen on murdering off the rest of the locals and taking their land, but the colonists really really wanted to so they staged a revolution so the richest of the rich could have more land and slaves. they're still working on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Couldn't tell you. Don't know much about history.

Don't know much biology either, come to think of it.