Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Counterpoint: it’s pretty easy to just not head the dang ball outside the box.

It really isn't. How would defenders deal with a long punt from the opposition keeper? At the very top level, they might be able to bring it down with some consistency if they have time and space, but what about everyone else? Just leave it for a quick attacker to run on to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
they can chest it or they can do a flying kick, lotta options here

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
take the U13 route: ban punts and goal kicks are essentially kick offs and the opposing team has to be behind a 'breakout' line that's 35 yards away

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Mickolution posted:

It really isn't. How would defenders deal with a long punt from the opposition keeper? At the very top level, they might be able to bring it down with some consistency if they have time and space, but what about everyone else? Just leave it for a quick attacker to run on to?

I’m sure defenders will figure it out. And if there are a few more goals…not sure anyone will mind.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
I just don't see it happening. It would be the biggest fundamental change to the game in over 100 years, if not ever and I don't see the necessary parties (FIFA and IFAB, I guess?) agreeing on it. I can't even think of a similar rule change that has happened in another sport.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Similar as in game changing or similar as in for the sake of player safety?

Player safety, look no further than the repeated changes to how tackles have been evaluated and carded since the 90s. For game changing, closest thing in football recently is maybe the attempt to standardize pitch sizes a couple years ago. In other sports, adding the 3pt line to basketball.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Mickolution posted:

I just don't see it happening. It would be the biggest fundamental change to the game in over 100 years, if not ever and I don't see the necessary parties (FIFA and IFAB, I guess?) agreeing on it. I can't even think of a similar rule change that has happened in another sport.

Uh there have been plenty. 3pt for basketball, forward pass for USA football but also the changes to tackling, trapezoid for hockey, hell there are a few in football/soccer that are up there

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i think it would be worth it for the keys grey etc meltdowns alone

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Game's gone

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Watch a game from the early 90s, the tackling is absolutely wild and there's a straight red level tackle every like 3 minutes by today's standards. I don't think removing headers from the midfield would be any more of a fundamental change than the removal of that kind of tackling as been. Tactically teams would adapt to defending long balls without use of the head and I don't think it would necessarily be a bad thing to remove a little of the required physicality from defending.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
I for one am sure that replacing headers with flying kicks at head level will reduce head injuries

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Mickolution posted:

I don't really agree with this argument because defenders already have to deal with long punts from the opposition keeper flying over their head. Jumping and heading the ball gets them an extra, what, like two feet of reach towards the ball? If a six-foot defender can reach a ball eight feet in the air but not one nine feet in the air, then banning headers brings that line down from eight feet to like five, it doesn't change the fundamental fact of the game that if you kick the ball long and high enough then it goes over the defenders' heads and lands in behind them. Defences would adjust, likely by moving slightly farther back on the pitch so that they have more space to trap balls on their chests when they aren't going far enough overhead for the keeper to come claim. I don't think it would fundamentally change the nature of defending.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
So the only way to stop people heading is to make it a foul. Free kick is given on the edge of the box. Somebody r.carlos it into the wall at head height and a defender cops one to the face. Is that a penalty?

Do you ban defensive walls at free kicks?

How do you stop making any direct free kick a one on one with the keeper if you are able to send it in above a certain height?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I just want to make commentators argue amongst themselves about whether it was ball to head or head to ball

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

vyelkin posted:

I just want to make commentators argue amongst themselves about whether it was ball to head or head to ball

Please no, this is how we got VAR

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

cagliostr0 posted:

So the only way to stop people heading is to make it a foul. Free kick is given on the edge of the box. Somebody r.carlos it into the wall at head height and a defender cops one to the face. Is that a penalty?

How do you stop making any direct free kick a one on one with the keeper if you are able to send it in above a certain height?
If a player blasts the ball at head height towards another player then they clearly need to be arrested for attempted murder

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Flayer posted:

If a player blasts the ball at head height towards another player then they clearly need to be arrested for attempted murder

I agree, Sir Alex.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Mandatory helmets, but cute little ones, not giant motorcycle helmets

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost

cagliostr0 posted:

They can do those hockey masks that field hockey uses for penalty corners.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost

Snowy posted:

Mandatory helmets, but cute little ones, not giant motorcycle helmets

I honestly think it will be this. Something that means sponsors can sell more gear and probably doesn't protect the players but means they don't have to do anything else for a while.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Ban headers but allow handball as a trade-off. Catching and throwing is disallowed but punches/deflections are fine. Maybe just in the area or maybe whole pitch idk, try it out and see what works.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Bring back players doing a practice jumping header when they run out of the tunnel

Feels like this is a relic of the 90s and earlier, and I fear that banning heading would completely remove this marvellous and skilful aspect to the game

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
foam ball

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

use one of those penny floaters you used to get at the beach

all headers now also get a satisfying whang sound