Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Only allowed in the 18yd boxes while they figure out how to best eliminate them there.

I know this isn’t a tough guy or traditionalist position but who cares, we’ve been playing without the other two upper body appendages for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Shrapnig posted:

The problem with this is that you now have to coach out heading entirely which means that something like this really couldn't even go into effect for 15-20 years when the players who are currently 16 and breaking into first teams are retired and the next generations of players aren't even taught how to head the ball.

Comparing heading to handball isn't really a good argument. Handling the ball is and has been against the laws of football since 1906. No one comes into football thinking they can pick up the ball and throw it into the goal while nearly everyone is aware that heading the ball is a very effective way to score goals. That and no one is really sure what constitutes a handball these days so what is and isn't a header when and if that argument comes up?

Counterpoint: it’s pretty easy to just not head the dang ball outside the box.

And in the box, yeah that’s the whole point of a phase in. It will probably take a while because of the tactical effects on both sides of the ball and having to train it out. But you gotta start somewhere. I know fifa and other governing bodies are loathe to have different rules for different levels but it seems to me that starting at the lower age groups first would be useful.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

ozmunkeh posted:

Looking forward to the VAR calls to determine whether or not a header was inside the box or not.

Honestly I don’t see that being an issue. The box’s line is imho a good divider between the two broad categories of headers (knocking around possession types vs attacking/clearing in the box types) but neither set really happens anywhere close to the line with any frequency. A rule could be very generously written to err on the side of not making a call, and be fine.

I’m sure there will be unintended and unforeseen consequences of any “no header” rule but I also don’t think they’d necessarily be BAD consequences.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Mickolution posted:

It really isn't. How would defenders deal with a long punt from the opposition keeper? At the very top level, they might be able to bring it down with some consistency if they have time and space, but what about everyone else? Just leave it for a quick attacker to run on to?

I’m sure defenders will figure it out. And if there are a few more goals…not sure anyone will mind.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Mickolution posted:

I just don't see it happening. It would be the biggest fundamental change to the game in over 100 years, if not ever and I don't see the necessary parties (FIFA and IFAB, I guess?) agreeing on it. I can't even think of a similar rule change that has happened in another sport.

Uh there have been plenty. 3pt for basketball, forward pass for USA football but also the changes to tackling, trapezoid for hockey, hell there are a few in football/soccer that are up there