Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
data visualization is my passion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

BONGHITZ posted:

gently caress the forums i want my giant rear end covid thread with a gently caress ton of drama

thats why I wanted this new thread to have the same name as the gbs thread

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

mdemone posted:

I already kinda shoved their face in it a little....I'm an open atheist teaching at a private Catholic school, so quoting Matthew correctly at them probably got between their ribs

much like the lance of longinus

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
gently caress you

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

meet girls at the store posted:

My office Open Bidened at 8:00 this morning with a celebratory staff breakfast. It’s now 11:39, somebody has tested positive, and they’re scrambling to do contact tracing for the breakfast party. Life comes at you fast.

scrambling to do contact tracing? pretty quick to pull the active employee list out of Workday imo

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

corona familiar posted:

9 ambulance sirens since morning. i don't live next to a hospital. cool and normal

edit: 10

edit: 11

this was the shittiest part of this past winter for my mental health. just constant sirens

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Helith posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/aug/16/covid-culture-wars-children-risk-politicians

At worst, children can and do die. CDC data shows that at least 81 children in the US died of Covid between March and July.

jfc and that was during the lowest point of this thing

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
we're going to do this metro by metro this time aren't we

https://twitter.com/travisakers/status/1427377370273665027?s=19

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

lmao, every time

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

hahahaaha

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I'm back for covid hell winter volume 2 and my body is ready. gently caress it.

welcome back!!!

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
the NYTimes piece

quote:

WASHINGTON — The Biden administration has decided that most Americans should get a coronavirus booster shot eight months after they completed their initial vaccination, and could begin offering the extra shots as early as mid-September, according to two administration officials familiar with the discussions.

Officials are planning to announce the administration’s decision as early as this week. Their goal is to let Americans know now that they will need additional protection against the Delta variant that is causing surging caseloads across the nation.

The first boosters are likely to go to nursing home residents and health care workers, followed by other older people who were near the front of the line when vaccinations began late last year. Officials envision giving people the same vaccine they originally received.

Among other worrisome signals, Biden administration officials are particularly concerned about data from Israel suggesting that the Pfizer-BioNTech’s protection against severe disease has fallen significantly for elderly people who were vaccinated in January or February.

Some administration officials have viewed Israel as a kind of template for the United States because it started vaccinating its population sooner. Israel has almost exclusively used the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, and it has a nationalized health care system that allows it to systematically track patients.

The latest data from Israel, posted on the government’s website on Monday, shows what some experts describe as continued erosion of the efficacy of the Pfizer vaccine over time — both against mild or asymptomatic Covid-19 infections in general and against severe disease among the elderly.

lol I'm just going to assume this is the biden admin overriding the CDC because that's funniest

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

It's incredible how we were handed a cheat code such that everyone in this forum, doomers through and through, sighed a sigh of relief, and then... nobody loving got it. lmao. hahahahhahaha.

I have sincerely missed you

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Sphyre posted:

nz just went into level 4 lockdown (everything except supermarkets and pharmacies closed) over 1 community case jeez

jelly

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
after my wife's grandma's funeral service tomorrow everyone's piling into a church basement for turkey dressing sandwiches and various marshmallow based "salads"

we will not be attending because of our unvaccinated children and also holy loving poo poo

this has caused numerous family members to directly beseech my wife's mother to make us attend lmao

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

SEELCT * FROM table_name WHERE thread_id = ? ORDER BY post_date LIMIT 100000 OFFSET 50

This query will scan 100050 rows if an index on (thread_id, post_date) exists. What is on every other page does in fact matter.

There are some ways around this sort of pagination, but there are tradeoffs. It's hard to avoid if you want the ability to say "give me the 1709th page of this thread" for example.

this wouldn't be a problem if we threw everything into the data lake

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

corona familiar posted:

i did my best (one of the images were out of order in the album, and i tried to guess dates)

I like how iowa's weekly reporting cause it to pulse yellow to red again and again and again

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

SKULL.GIF posted:

Lolllllll this fat slug is the state senator for the neighboring district. He's a terrible person through and through, gently caress him, I hope he chokes on his own lung juices

his statement is amazing

I'm not concerned about covid; all of my covid symptoms are part of my laundry list of chronic health problems already! not even concerned about going to the hospital! my failing flesh routinely needs emergency medical treatment

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
father in law, who want going to get a vaccine (because of.microchips) until his sons signed him up at a clinic and frog matched him down for the first shot, leaned over to me at a park yesterday, and said, "tell me the truth, do you believe Fauci? [he prounced it FOS-ē]"

horseshoe theory is real lmao

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

lol get hosed

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Third World Reagan posted:

Your state claims to be progressive, but texas is actively trying to kill their governer.

Check mate, statists.

lol

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Louisgod posted:

it owns so much we continue to force teachers to spend their own money making loving box fan cubes yet can give the pentagon an extra $25 billion to piss away

but corsi cubes

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

apatheticman posted:

Wonder how many guards they'll have to start hiring if this becomes both common knowledge and a problem.

lol zero. america is boot lickers

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

someone in a youtube comment sneered at one of my 7 month old comments that "icu beds are always full across the country" and lol lmao

you showed them!!!!

:smith:

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Stereotype posted:

they’re lying to you, you can lie back.

really a very succinct summary

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

sonatinas posted:

uh “all” gonna need clarification here

yeah I got real excited and then got real sad

lmao

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
thinking with our j&j shots back in February, maybe we just respec into pure mrna

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

meet girls at the store posted:

I thought she announced that she was going to shut the gently caress up?

she immediately deleted those tweets lol

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Iowa hosed up with their anti mask mandate law and applied it to private schools as well

rich parents are just realizing this and are pissed lol

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
by law, this is the best my school district can do

we are so hosed

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Forseti posted:

Local news about school staffing shortages

:lol: can't believe nobody wants to die for those choice gigs

we just got our school nurse hired this week. our school was going to have to share a nurse with two other schools. it's madness

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

it's a respiratory disease; it's not like it's mono

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
also lol if they all get legionnaires

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Chuka Umana posted:

The lack of legionnaires outbreaks this past year has surprised me.

btw it's well know that more vaccines equals better resistance so we shouldn't just stop at 20. Let's try hitting 100 covid shots lmao

to their credit this is a pretty well known potential issue and lots of facilities people had someone walk through regularly and flush toilets and run the fountains

but yeah, totally expected more out of small gas stations, etc

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

brugroffil posted:

It was my wife's first day back in the classroom with students today.

On her way home, she got an email that she'll need to do hybrid teaching starting tomorrow as one of her students that was in class today will now be quarantining.

lol

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

we could have done this in June and been prepared

nothing has been a better demonstration than the US federal response to covid that help only comes when there is no choice left

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

BOGO LOAD posted:

I looked at Florida on Worldometer. Are they just not reporting deaths anymore? Positivity rates go up up up but deaths just completely drop off.

I know what my heart is telling me. Confirmation would be nice.

they are reporting when people died, not when they received the death certificate

that will, by design, always show deaths declining in the last 3 to 4 weeks

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
loving lol school doesn't even start for a week

https://twitter.com/DMschools/status/1428118292149985291?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
the US is going to surpass peak hospitalizations.

I think most people don't realize how baked in that is at this point

we could literally vaccinate every single person in the US tomorrow and implement weld-your-door style lock downs indefinitely, and we're still going to slide right past the record and keep going