Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Hexigrammus posted:

Definitely crossed a line - my wife just cautioned me to "try not to read too much of that stuff".

solidarity, brother. all of us in this thread are Michael Shannon in Take Shelter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Casey Finnigan posted:

I don't think he is :shrug: he's funny I guess

you GUESS?

e: get him out of here, take his coat!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Today

Yesterday

Since Jul 26
https://imgur.com/a/j5Ag7mG

source: covidactnow.org (very reputable site btw)

life's easy breezy here in Orange Western NY!!!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

fits my needs posted:

what code are u going to learn

Hammurabi

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

oh my god he accidentally took the right medicine

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Joementum posted:

it was his intestinal lining :ssh:

ohhh lmfao I thought he accidentally de-wormed himself ahahahaha

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Joementum posted:

it absolutely causes you to poo poo out your guts https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rope_worms

that loving link posted:

In fact, they are not actual parasites, but instead fragments of mucous membrane shed from the gut following the use of bleach enemas (usually marketed as Miracle Mineral Supplement)

say whu?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

So I don't even know if school has started yet for my son who's turning 5 this year because lol if he's going anywhere, but should I pop by the local school anyway and get him registered in case there were like online classes or some poo poo? This is my first kid so I dunno where to start with all this

buy him an account and we'll teach him

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

nomad2020 posted:

Just listened to a guy in a lab coat who says we should all just raise our core body temp up to ~39C to wake up our interferons, sounds legit.

E: F to C

if only some intrepid nation were developing a secret microwave gun that could warm up our insides

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Louisgod posted:

"the early toxins leaving" lmao god drat everything owns

this is literally how Dennis justifies Sweet Dee's diarrhea when they start only taking workout supplements lol

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

america has always been this stupid?????

big time

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Biowarfare posted:

what is even the point of complaining about microchipping and rights when 99% of these idiots have the facebook app installed with all permissions granted

there is no point, it is an arbitrary line in the sand drawn solely because they were told: "you should do this".

i genuinely believe if they had politicized the choice of vaccine and made one the MAGA vaccine this would not be an issue. Even if it were transparently so. There are people who genuinely believe the anti-vaxx poo poo, and then there are people who don't really have firm ideological stakes in the idea that vaccines are bad but have now found themselves aligned with that viewpoint because gently caress you i won't do what you tell me.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

she's right - we should appreciate covid while it's still here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ratQlft_G5c

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Greg Legg posted:

Does duolingo mandarin work? I've done a few courses but I suck at it.

I like the Pimsleur method courses on Audible myself, but I haven't tried DuoLingo. I like that I can do it during my commute.

Cannot wait to be a middle manager that profusely apologizes to his Chinese overlords for the lazy shiftlessness of my American subordinates.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

my sister gave birth to my niece about a year and a half before covid started, she was something like 28/29 weeks. They were both in the hospital for months. Visiting the NICU even then was stressful, I was extremely worried that I'd be bringing in something that would kill her or her baby. Can't even imagine how it is now.

Oh yeah, and I saw multiple people throw poo poo fits about washing their hands before entering. Wonder if that's gotten any better lol

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Serf posted:

lmao i checked the d&d thread and how are they repeating the same 4chan conspiracies from march 2020? "a billion people are dead of covid in china and no one can say anything because xi jinping personally writes every news article!!"

meanwhile literally every media outlet has been talking non-stop about Afghanistan and Kabul airport for the last two weeks - but that's different. Any consensus reached by our media and military intelligence is a coincidence and only happens because they listen to the science and the experts.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

SimonChris posted:

I am using the HelloChinese app, which also makes you draw the characters, and provides little cartoon representations of their origins. I tried Duolingo, but the complete lack of explanations for the characters made it hard to remember them.

Weather Chopper 9 posted:

You absolutely have to use other tools in addition to duolingo to learn mandarin. Duolingo's given me two to two and a half romance languages, but I already speak mediocre chinese and duolingo isn't that helpful for supporting the lanuage at anything beyond basic, timed, repetitive exposure. For me, physically writing the characters is the most important thing and unless something has changed, skritter is the only tool that does something like that. When you get a little deeper, I highly recommend the popup dictionary extension in chrome.

I had HelloChinese downloaded and never opened it. Thanks for the tip, I did feel like I was plateauing a bit only doing the speaking part. Like, my understanding of the tonal aspect of it can really only get so far on its own.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Serf posted:

remember when the chinese knocked together an emergency hospital in like a week and had their old sars wards running again in a couple of days? lol

yeah but wouldn't you rather have a system that can use nearly unlimited data metrics to monitor everything in real time, instantly identify any problem, and then incentivize a new industry to pop up around it to explain why it's okay that the problem exists?

yeah me neither

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

actually it rules, who cares if someone is "stealing" something with no real value

ahh, so YOU'RE the Falcon guy!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Truniht posted:

After the 70s it became practically realizable to double the size of the labor force by sending both parents to work and let the state handle their kids

now that kids can’t go to school because they can die the us govt effectively lost a sizable portion of their labor force and they want it back

My buddy was telling me that when he had his first kid, his wife's entire paycheck every month went to daycare. And these are both white collar workers with good jobs for the area. It's absolutely loving nuts - and when no explanation is offered for why two working parents are getting a worse deal than people used to get with just one, it's no wonder people start going "well maybe this feminism thing is the problem!" It's loving stupid, obviously, but when neither political party in your country even addresses that this is reality, you go with the first boot that fits!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Der Meister posted:

the common person has no representation

Fuckin A!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Denying that Spider-Man is a mutant just because he wasn't born with mutant DNA is just a hop, skip, and a jump away from being a TERF, sorry if this upsets you but it's true.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Judakel posted:

gifted and dyslexic is a contradiction

well they didn't say it was a good gift

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Covok posted:

El poblema es un captialism!

weird, my system based on the assumption that infinite growth is not only possible but necessary for society has no "Pause" function? anyone else getting this???

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Stereotype posted:

prime numbers have exactly 2 positive divisors, 1 only has 1

that should make it Extra Prime

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

text editor posted:

Need to get some kind of DNR in place for myself that says "if a doctor ever gives you the choice between let him go peacefully, and literally anything else, choose peacefullyput my brain in a sexy lady robot"

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

BeefThief posted:

I love how the media stopped talking about the labor shortage once unemployment got cut but there's still over a million people dead so the problem didn't really get solved

They were hoping all of them were working bullshit white collar paperwork jobs for people with bachelor's degrees. Turns out most of the poor people dying of covid didn't have those!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Tzen posted:

hahah oh my god we're all so hosed

personally i think it's cool that we decided to euthanize ourselves as an entire country

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Loucks posted:

I rewatched Shaun of the Dead recently, and it seemed pretty realistic right up until the extremely competent government swept in and fixed everything, but they needed an audience-friendly ending so oh well.

Consider this tho - they never actually fixed the fact that there's a disease turning people into zombies, they just temporarily halted the zombies progress and learned to live with them lol

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Kunabomber posted:

lol they literally created a slave class for capitalism

BACK TO WORK!!!!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Blackhawk posted:

Hey so did we ever get an explanation as to what causes Covid 'brain fog'? Is it brain damage from oxygen starvation or is it more a direct effect of the virus on the brain. The fact that it gets all up in there and fucks with your sense of smell indicates that it could be just directly giving you brain damage I guess?

it just gets all up in there and makes itself home. once you got covid brain there's only one cure: trepanation. Be sure to use a NEW DRILL BIT, you do not want to get tetanus while you're recovering

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

McNugget Buddy posted:

Facebook flags any posts mentioning covid with CDC links - they're just doing it to avoid being fact checked

yeah it's super annoying when they put that covid bumper on my instagram stories and it ruins a punchline. thanks for the tip!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

hey
man you intubatin' me?
take 'em out
you gotta keep em ventilated!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

hey
man you intubatin' me?
take 'em out
you gotta keep em ventilated!

heeeyyy
don't pay no mind
just wear a second mask
and you'll probably be fine
heeeyyyy
covid's here to stay!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

"Sky News Arabia reported that the vessel was successfully refloated a short time later and the channel was reopened. "

how dare you

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Testvan posted:

covid over

"it could go up, or down, or stay the same" i trust the science

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

this one is such a bummer. like, she has a genuine reason to distrust the medical system because she got stiffed on long-term care after beating cancer, probably because her insurance wouldn't cover it and the doctor was forced to let her know "we've done all we can for you within your budget"

then she goes through this terrible covid experience with her husband, seems like she's really learned something.... and in the end decides the problem is not enough cooperation between real doctors and fake doctors

oof

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

mod sassinator posted:

i'm beginning to think pharmacists are trash people who are big mad they spent nearly the same money on school as doctors but get way less responsibility and recognition for it in the eyes of the public. just giant dicks with chips on their shoulder, getting angrier and angrier every day at their friends who went into chemical engineering in school instead and are buying new teslas and houses with their stupid income jobs

if it makes them feel better, most of those friends who got degrees in chemical engineering are probably not doing chemical engineering but lovely lab work for less than $20/hour.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

hey everybody I just wanted to let this thread know I am also a Doctor. I paid $30 for my doctorate in Metaphysics from the Universal Life Church, which makes me infinitely smarter than anyone who paid hundreds of thousands of dollars for a similar piece of paper. I am available to answer any and all doctor related questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

hey everybody I just wanted to let this thread know I am also a Doctor. I paid $30 for my doctorate in Metaphysics from the Universal Life Church, which makes me infinitely smarter than anyone who paid hundreds of thousands of dollars for a similar piece of paper. I am available to answer any and all doctor related questions.

just caught up on the thirty pages i missed and would like to add the following:
1. lmao
2. i am literally more of a doctor than madjackal