Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

crepeface posted:

https://twitter.com/minhealthnz/status/1427435940159520772?s=20

quote:

They found doors to rooms on opposite sides of the corridor were opened at the same time for about 3-5 seconds on four occasions between July 19 and 27, when a case in the room opposite would have been considered infectious.

lol with 3-5 seconds of doors being opened. china welding doors shut had the right idea.

(this is a different one to the case of in-community transmission)

How the gently caress do they think ærosols work?

The simultaneous door opening is a red herring like the rubbish bin lid was. Ærosols get into that corridor and stay there for hours.

It’s tragic that New Zealand is leading the world in this and they’re still loving up in ways that comedy forum posters have been aware of since spring of 2020.

If they don’t want to keep loving up everyone’s lives and their economy on the regular, they need to quarantine people in cabins or motels with no indoor corridors through which air can communicate from one denizen’s space to another’s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Real Mean Queen posted:

Thank you, that’s fascinating.

So in the 1930s, we’ve seen gas masks in war and know how they work, and we’re probably talking like metal and rubber and leather with some cloth straps for fasteners, right? I know plastics existed but I don’t know if there were a bunch of them around being used in stuff like that. Man that thing must have been heavy. I wonder what the lowest tech filter medium you could get away with for that application would have been, just a bunch of dense fabric? Something clever with charcoal? I just looked up what they were doing for gas mask cartridges in the war, but those were designed as countermeasures against certain gasses and thus focus pretty heavily on the chemistry end of things and seemingly not too much on particulates. Also, this:

Now I’m wondering what the best mask I could make would look like with that tech level, assuming I had access to craftsmen who could do the complicated parts for me, and I’m realizing it would suuuuuck. I have no idea how to approach the exhaust port.

Natural rubber has been used for a long time. Vulcanization came about in the mid nineteenth century that solves a lot of your problems. A lot of the things we would make out of synthetic polymer now were made out of hard rubber then.

Exhaust valve shouldn’t be a problem. Some Great War gas masks had them. I don’t know how exactly they were constructed, but one of the medieval solutions for a valve seal is greased leather like you see in brass musical instruments today.

The particulate filter is another question. The electrostatically‐charged, melt‐blown polypropylene used today is totally out of reach. I do know that some early industrial respirators used asbestos fibres and, well, if handled properly that will kill you slower than Son of SARS.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hayh8UMJSFs

gently caress

This clip from MSA’s “The Air We Breathe” ends just when it’s getting good.

I don’t have time for this CDC video. Coming back to it later.

e: Boring. Don’t bother.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZEf-tzko0A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5DnTpLmerQ

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Aug 17, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If I had gotten a Moderna vaccine, I would feel slightly better about having two doses under my belt, six months in, but I really doubt it’s that much better in the longer term. That’s just my feeling, though. We’ve gone over how there’s no real data.

Moderna’s vaccine is not as widely studied and will never be as widely studied because it’s not used in the same volume and in the diversity of countries as Pfizer’s vaccine.

If I had gotten two doses of Moderna’s vaccine, I would be pleased as punch to get a third.

What I got in the winter was Pfizer’s, and I don’t have a strong desire to seek out Moderna for a third (or “first”). I expect that a wider spaced spaced Pfizer vaccine is just as good and having a mixed course might give me paperwork hassles down the road. Besides which, the second dose of the Pfizer vaccine hit me decently hard. I would gladly bear a potentially stronger Moderna reaction if I thought it would do me any good, but I don’t.

Something I would really like to see is a matched cohort study of people who got their Pfizer doses spaced at four weeks because Walgreens was lazy, versus Moderna and three‐week Pfizer. It would answer some questions and it’s doable from a desk.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ajkalan posted:

Also make sure to look for great deals on some essential back-to-school goodies!

Keep your horse inside the barn (safely) with a device that will tell you if the horse has gotten outside the barn.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

tuo posted:

Janssen is the J&J vaccine, hth

Eight months is a dubious claim.

I hope that helps. :shobon:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sunny Side Up posted:

my work is having CVS come by to give people vaccines. i haven't provided proof of vaccination to HR so that they can't strip me of my mask. should i use the pop up vaccination to get a booster? i'm thinking yes, if there's a good way to get away with it

Maybe play it by ear. See if it seems likely your boss will find out.

Bring your card and see if you can get the booster info on it, after you’ve already gotten the needle, no takesie backsies.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Joementum posted:

maybe we should............. trust the experts? :thunk:

It owns that the draw of brunch is greater than the cinema’s. I can only imagine that the logic is “well I can see a movie at home, but you know what I can’t do? Eat.”

Also loling at the infectious disease experts who would eat at a restaurant while masked, somehow.

Relevant Tangent posted:

Oh yeah absolutely still getting my booster sooner rather than later just curious if Pfizer's "you'll probably need a booster" talk from a while back was them specific. Sounds like it is so far.

Amusingly, the D&D approved answer to this question is now “Moderna crew will need a booster because Joseph Robinette Biden (pbuh) did not make a distinction between the vaccines”.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sunny Side Up posted:

literally, word for word, just had someone say "Covid is over. It's only in people's heads, now."

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The mass of normal people are cautious about this and taking steps to protect themselves.

The "gotta live my life" crowd is an extremely vocal minority that the media gives way too much airtime to because ???????

It’s because of capitalism, OP.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pittsburgh Public Schools is pushing the start of the school year back two weeks because they're short over 400 (!!) bus drivers.

“It’s been months since I checked that school bus driver channel I watch sometimes.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2ZLOFPTURE

We’re so hosed.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

UnknownTarget posted:

Why was the last thread closed?

Staff shortage

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

It really is loving amazing how accurate this thread has continued to be over the past sixteen months simply by taking the 'excessive caution until proven otherwise' route.

“Hey you know that angry ball of proteins that everyone has been bargaining with or ignoring? Yeah, it’s not going to go away on its own.”

Next month:

It doesn’t go away.

Everyone but C‐SPAM is shocked.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Raiad posted:

i couldn't imagine that the load bearing slurs holding our forums together could support more than 5000 pages in a thread, it's amazing that they held together as long as they did with the last thread

I don’t understand why the software has trouble with long threads.

It only has to display one page at a time. There shouldn’t be a dependence on what’s on on every other page.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SKULL.GIF posted:

look at bottom left and click the dropdown menu. each page is a line. multiply by # of actively browsing users in cspam

Replace the dropdown box with a text box to type in the page number.

Jeffrey can PM me for my rate for further consulting.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

So elastomeric crew, quick question about the seal test since I ordered the whole speaking diaphragm honeywell thingie and it just came.
1. When I do the positive pressure check (I think that's it? The exahle one) the mask gets pushed away as it should, but if I keep exhaling does get pushed away enough that some air escapes from the top by my nose. This does not happen when exhaling/inhaling normally and I can detect no leaks up top normal. I assume that's supposed to happen since the pressure? Face shield isn't fogging up and all that.
2. I hear a click when I exhale but everything seems fine. Why?

That line of Honeywell respirators never sealed properly around my nose and it sounds like you may have the same problem. I would fail a proper occupational fit test. If you would similarly fail, that’s a problem. It’s fine if it lifts off your nose when you really forcefully exhale, but it shouldn’t happen in normal breathing, even when exercising.

The clicking sounds like the exhalation valve doing its thing and that’s fine.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

It only lifts off when I block the exhalation valve as part of the test thing.

Oh yeah that’s fine.

As for the clicking valve, some models are stiffer than others. They can all get clicky if soiled. You’ll want to clean the valve and mating surface if a respirator that hasn’t been clicky starts to.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mr. Pizza posted:

Moderna #3 at Costco:

Filled out online form with all my legit info except said I had no insurance and that it was my first shot. At the store they asked to verify my birthday and sign a printout of that form and that's it. No ID, no questions, no nothing.

I got shots #1 and #2 at a local department of health site back in March that I think was run by the national guard.

Nobody's tracking/checking poo poo.

They might still try to match up your name/D.O.B. to insurance because it pays more than the feds.

It’s a curse of the information era.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Thanks. So yeah, it's fine that it only gets air leak when I exhale with the valve covered. During normal operation it is - insofar as I can tell - fine. And it passes the negative pressure check just fine.
Am I correct in assuming it's not really possible to pass one test and fail the other since I mean a seal is a seal no?

OSHA calls them “user seal checks” and they’re interchangeable. You only have to do one—positive, negative, or as described in the respirator’s manual. It should not be possible to fail one and not another if you’re conducting them properly.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Gangs are making the world a safer place by discouraging the use of inferior facial coverings.

Thank you, gangs.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Raccooon posted:

Haven't read this thread is a week.

How are things looking now?

Lemon, it’s Wednesday.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Greg Legg posted:

ahahaha why would they admit that what the gently caress

She was following CDC guidance.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I’m serious. She checked the boxes.

CDC posted:

I think or know I had COVID-19, and I had symptoms

You can be around others after:

• 10 days since symptoms first appeared and
  • 24 hours with no fever without the use of fever-reducing medications and
  • Other symptoms of COVID-19 are improving*
*Loss of taste and smell may persist for weeks or months after recovery and need not delay the end of isolation​

Note that these recommendations do not apply to people with severe COVID-19 or with weakened immune systems (immunocompromised).

She was in her ninth day of symptoms on the twenty‐first and brunched on the twenty‐fifth.

She had never had a fever.

Bruch day minus three had this update:

quote:

I'm finally feeling less like death today, able to get up and walk around a bit. I haven't worked out in over a week, which is weird for me, but hopefully will be able to in a few days. I'm still congested but can taste things and breathe through my nose again. My ears have mostly stopped popping. I'm doing a fourth test in the morning which will hopefully be negative. If it is, some friends from out of town want to meet up. We had plans to meet last weekend but canceled for obvious reasons. I told them it depends on how we feel, but if we do we'll be masked and outdoors.

I'm just glad to not feel like death again. It feels weird having enough energy to actually get up and walk around, or clean the house and do things without feeling like I'm going to fall down.

That’s improvement and the third and final bullet point met. By current CDC guidance, she was good to go.

The CDC is dumber than GBS.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 18, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

General accepted public opinion for, like, a loving year now has been that people who don't have the sniffles or aren't actively coughing can't spread the disease, DESPITE the fact that academic information has been freely available this entire time stating that the disease has an incubation period of up to two weeks and that the majority of transmission is by asymptomatic people during the incubation period.

There was a short but impactful period in February of 2020 where the medical equivalents of Nate Silver bullied the people who had first sounding the alarm on asymptomatic spread into retracting the claim.

The general public’s understanding would be spotty regardless, but those pedants have a lot of blood on their hands.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

“Look, we can’t tell them to get safe and effective medicine that costs the government almost twenty dollars till enough of them drop dead to give us ninety-five percent confidence that it’s absolutely mecessary.”

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Why do we let these idiots run the world?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tzen posted:

i still can't believe some of the parents i know that just continue to deny that covid will hit them
DON'T YOU REMEMBER GETTING ALL THE COLDS AND BUGS AND BULLSHIT FROM WHEN WE SENT OUR KIDS TO DAYCARE??? YOU THINK COVID IS JUST GOING TO BE LIKE "NAH I RESPECT YOUR BOUNDARIES"!?!? you loving god drat morons

It’s the world’s most polite pathogen.

We ought to investigate Canada as its point of origin.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

pigz posted:

She did say they would likely unblind at EUA but they haven't committed to it. We'll see what the docs say at the appointment. Seems if they are this late getting expansion going hard to believe there will be an EUA before years end.

Medical ethics mean that they have to let your kid get the shot when it’s available under EUA, even if it is to the detriment of their ongoing study.

If they do not automatically unblind when EUA is granted, call your study contact and tell them you have an appointment to get Pigz Junior a shot. They’ll unblind then.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I hate the “more science is needed” thought-terminating cliche.

“We can’t give you a life jacket because they have’t been tested on capricorns.”

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Crazyweasel posted:

a fun retrospective would be a visualization of how much data other vaccines have been approved on compared to all the poo poo we have with these and how we aren’t doing anything.

make sure u get boosted to poo poo for shingles but uhhh a deadly pandemic? let’s just wait this one out

Tetanus shots may well be effective past ten years.

We give boosters because when in doubt, better safe than sorry.

That is apparently a piece of wisdom that has been forgotten.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Lacrosse posted:

Yeah no guilt here, I just hate lying. Washington State does track vaccine status so I'm trying to come up with a fake name to give them when I walk in.

Maximilianus Titros

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Lacrosse posted:

I could use more female names guys, help

Aurelia Preciate Ajab

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

skewetoo posted:

I think they said space constallations or Greek or Roman godesses or something. You know when you've thought through your naming convention

Andromeda strain let’s gooooooo!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Lenin Stimpy posted:

Yep, here's a discussion with Eric Topol on that (on MedCram):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haG1yKJVVAw&t=411s

Start at 6:51

A little before five minutes: “I think, to your question, that it was because we had a vaccine‐centric strategy. That would have worked, and we would have full containment now, but then came Delta”

LOL good one.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Asproigerosis posted:

Yeah there are stringent requirements for using n95s (annual fit testing and medical clearance) all mandated by OSHA regulation. Frankly I'm not sure how they could deny someone using it in an work activity that doesn't require it and thus not subject to OSHA regs. It's not like meeting the requirements would be difficult, it's just that they most certainly don't have any experience in doing it and the paradoxical liability of trying to figure it out and failing at it instead of just giving you no protection and letting you die to roni.

It's why there was such a stupid crisis early on where hospitals were refusing to allow staff to use their own masks or respirators. The letter of the law with OSHA is that it has to be supplied by the employer so they'd rather risk you getting covid from lack of ppe on their part than risk running afoul of OSHA by letting you use your own.

Oh great, employer.

So can I get it in writing that my work does not involve entry into an environment hazardous to respiratory health?

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Got a response back from my email to the superintendent of my kids school district:

Here's Addendum 11 for CT DOE, for reference:

Last updated August 2020. I'm making my kid go in surgical +kf94 combo and hope the latter supply lasts until the school goes into quarantine

LOLing that all of the negatives of N95s except “supply chain issues” (in August of 2020) also apply to KN95s.

Supply chain issues can’t do poo poo to my fire safe full of N95s.

Meanwhile, in the Southern Hemisphere…

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Aug 19, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

No clue if these are legit, but this is how my Amazon order came. I figured they are being careful with the 3M stuff since the scrutiny and lawsuits now, but if not guess I'll die. :shrug:

That doesn’t look inconsistent with legitimate product, but counterfeits have been seen in the wild.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Greg Legg posted:

I have a friend back in Hawaii who is currently refusing to get vaccinated. He lives with his grandmother and his dad. He is waiting for the novavax vaccine because that is the one that he wants to take. He's recently been telling me he is having panic attacks because his job might start mandating that he get vaccinated or tested weekly. I'm just venting, but this is a guy who watches prepper youtube and is supposedly ready for a "SHTF" situation and the idea of talking to someone about this is giving him panic attacks.

Typical prepper.

Can’t even assemble the IKEA vaccine, demands lepidopterans put the spike together for him.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Aug 19, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Joementum posted:

Kate Larose sat slack-jawed on Monday night in Canaan as she watched her local school board deliberate its back-to-school pandemic policies.

Larose, whose 8-year-old son is immunocompromised, had requested Zoom access to the in-person meeting. But about 30 minutes in, people took over the virtual room, calling in to say the n-word on loop. A man eventually appeared on screen and began masturbating. Officials then shut off all access.

Karen Conroy, Canaan’s superintendent, wrote apologetically to Larose later that night to fill in the blanks. The board had voted 5-0 to reject Conroy’s recommendation that the district begin the school year masked.

https://vtdigger.org/2021/08/18/vermont-is-taking-a-local-control-approach-to-the-pandemic-in-schools-in-canaan-that-means-no-masks/

“Freedom and Unity”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

We have no evidence that any living person is mortal, therefore attempted murder shouldn’t be a crime.