Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
Don't know how to link to Tzen's original post from the gassed thread properly so here:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

mdemone posted:

yup and that's exactly the word they used in the disciplinary hearing

edit: I believe it was "unprofessional and insubordinate"

At least you can probably bring it up in your yearly review like "How'd that pan out?"

Lol :( Lmao :smith:

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Ooooh I learned about this in Operating Systems. This is called thread starvation and they just need to add a multiplier to his priority every time he gets passed over.

You're welcome doctors, that'll be $30 million please

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

https://twitter.com/DankSinatra06/status/1427393934955778051

:drat:

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
:stare:

gently caress capitalism

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Der Meister posted:

that’s pretty sad and also very relatable

Cool that almost everyone around us must have been baffled that Midas was sad when he turned his daughter into gold :smith:

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Real Mean Queen posted:

Remember when the last batch of kids got approved for the vaccine? Wasn’t that at basically the exact same time that they announced that the mask burning was available for vaccinated people, and then they pretended the bump from the kids was all unvaccinated people who wanted to stop wearing masks? Remember how it wasn’t?

I think they’re doing that again. Maybe set it up so that most Americans are getting third doses right around Christmas so Biden can have a big Christmas celebration for how he beat covid, and then we can do it again for Fourth of July.

And so this is Christmas (COVID is over)
For weak and for strong (If you want it)
For rich and the poor ones (COVID is over)
The road is so long (Now)
And so happy Christmas (COVID is over)
For black and for white (If you want it)
For yellow and red ones (COVID is over)
Let's stop all the fight (Now)

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

SEELCT * FROM table_name WHERE thread_id = ? ORDER BY post_date LIMIT 100000 OFFSET 50

This query will scan 100050 rows if an index on (thread_id, post_date) exists. What is on every other page does in fact matter.

There are some ways around this sort of pagination, but there are tradeoffs. It's hard to avoid if you want the ability to say "give me the 1709th page of this thread" for example.

I have no idea what their code looks like, but it's not going to scan every row with an index there* if it's written in a way that can use the index (which yours is). Even if it did, 100k rows should be a joke to a modern server, especially with caches.

What it most likely would decide to do given your query and index is index seek at O(log*n) to get the page's worth of indexes, then retrieve the data for only those rows. Although in the case of the drop down, they shouldn't be pulling back the entire row data to populate it since it doesn't use that.

There are a lot of things you can do to speed things up, starting with at least a prepared statement so it doesn't have to go through the query planner every time. For something that gets done very frequently though they should really be using a stored procedure.

* In general. The query engine can decide that it's faster to scan depending on its statistics and what exactly the query is doing. This is one of the reasons it's important to keep the statistics up to date, which can be a nightly task (or however frequently it starts getting out of whack).

The cost of a growing thread should scale like the red line here but it's very easy to mess it up and end up with the cyan line or worse if the developer is just banging out naive code (or letting some ORM library write the code for them because SQL is "too hard")

To tie it to the thread, this stuff is depressingly similar to epidemiology from what I can tell. Paying people who know what they're doing is too hard and they also tend to tell you things you don't want to hear. Just let some dingus who doesn't know wtf a database is bang it out with the ORM for max quarterly profits.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
^^^ I used to be a DBA lol. I feel Eric Crackle-Ping's pain.

mod sassinator posted:

if things are slowing down only for people on slow computers then it's not a problem on the DB or server side. i've noticed android's chrome browser freaking _hates_ if you open the list of pages in a long thread. like it shoots every core of your phone up to 100% use and grinds the whole OS down to a halt until you can force close the application. it's probably something very very dumb in the client side JS that scales badly with the number of pages. perhaps it's calculating 7000 individual hrefs for each "jump to page" link with all kinds of string concatenations, etc. and populating them all inside a drop down instead of just figuring it out when you select one

I thought about that, and a quick look at the HTML for that page, the DOM is MASSIVE (like 16k elements). So that is definitely also a problem for the end user. But I thought they were saying it was slowing down the whole forums implying it was getting caught up at the server side.

All just conjecture though! I'm sure there are plenty of optimizations that could be made, but I'm also sure that a code base this old done by volunteers for decades is a nightmare. And I'm not blaming any single person, it's an emergent thing from the whole system imo.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

It performs 300 handler operations, 1 key lookup to the first row with a matching thread_id and 299 consecutive reads down the linked list. O(n). This also doesn't change based on table cardinality, limit-offset cardinality, or what the sampling statistics happen to look like.

This operation does get CPU-expensive when we get on the order of 100k+ rows being accessed many times a second. It's something that is fine in a vacuum and an issue at concurrency. Is there an efficient caching layer in front of vbulletin now? I'm not really sure. Posts are made often enough though that caches will be regularly invalidated.

I used to maintain vbulletin forums years ago and was a MySQL DBA until I quit a month ago. Large cardinality problems (like threads with a shitload of posts) are an extremely common style of resource consumption issue.

Well I don't have any vbulletin experience so fair enough there, you have a much better idea of what the code may be doing. I hope I didn't come across as attacking your post specifically, it's just a topic I enjoy thinking about and sharing.

It's just there there are a lot of tools that can be used to help at all the levels. Well designed tables and indexes, queries that avoid the most common pitfalls, hand tuned optimized queries all the way up to the "things they don't want to hear" like this requirement is expensive, can you make sacrifices on any aspect of it (for example, could they live with a fixed page size or only multiples of a fixed page size instead of completely arbitrary).

There are so many things at play it's impossible to give a one size fits all answer. I certainly wouldn't want to just outright attack somebody's code without knowing exactly what's there, what the constraints were at the time, etc. I've written plenty of "bad code" myself, either because of inexperience, imposed constraints, or just plain old mistakes :)

I am confident it could be made to perform much better, but it certainly could be very expensive to do that and it may really be the case that it isn't worth it. In fact, just closing the threads and making new ones periodically isn't a bad solution to a fairly rare occurrence IMO.

Edit: Also it makes so much sense that the Cassandra COVID thread is full of DBAs and people who understand and appreciate what DBAs do :lol:

Forseti fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 17, 2021

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Nocturtle posted:

You quit your high demand DBA job? Are you getting into amateur epidemiology? If Nate Silver can do it you certainly can.

I don't know about R.I.M.'s experience, but in my own the fun optimization and design tables parts aren't the whole job. A lot of it is boring and tedious poo poo, especially if the job is high paying and in demand because they want you to come in and unfuck a bunch of poo poo. The big reason the designing tables part is a big deal is because if it wasn't done well it's like 1000000x harder to unfuck 10 years and millions of records later.

Also you're mostly invisible when you're doing a good job and generally only get attention if you make a mistake. In many organizations your relationship with everyone else you work with is seen as oppositional.

Edit: KITTY!

Forseti fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 17, 2021

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
Just walked past a TV playing CNN and Tapper was "grilling" some poor doctor in Houston about the TSA's continuing of mask mandates with the question "Why not mandate vaccines? Wouldn't that be more in line with respecting the science?"

:shepicide:

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

loving :lol: this is the most uplifting news I've heard in a while

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

SKULL.GIF posted:

You guys know he's going to recover fully and then use it as justification to Super Open Biden right

He does that anyway and doesn't give a gently caress about justifications. This is like a free lottery ticket. Yeah, you almost certainly won't win but there's not a downside here.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

FizFashizzle posted:

Abbott was already more likely to develop clots because he is wheelchair bound.

Just putting that out there.

Does that move him down the triage priority scale any?

(I know the answer is really :lol: he's rich and powerful :smith:)

Edit: drat, on a sniping rampage. Changing it up with a friend's kitty this time!

Forseti fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 17, 2021

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

net work error posted:

Is it against the rules to say it would be very funny if Abbott died from getting delta'd?

Hopefully it's against the rules to not say that

Edit: Oh. Forums rules, not thread rules

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
^^^ Yeah I think this is a key bit too, especially with Delta. You go on the attack before the virus can get established and it's at its weakest.

SKULL.GIF posted:

What does Regeneron even actually do?

I think it more or less injects the stuff that your immune system uses to attack the virus directly without waiting for the T-cells to wake up and get all active.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Horseshoe theory posted:

Doesn't that mean that the growth rate slowed down but it's still apocalyptically high...? :thunk:

Pretty sure Nate was purposely trained wrong, as a joke

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Stereotype posted:

sure we're still accelerating towards the cliff at a high speed, but we let off the accelerator a bit and so now we are accelerating less, time to open biden! *smashes on accelerator more*

Or there was downtime while we shifted into a higher gear... makes ya think

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

ChazTurbo posted:

I've been putting off my vaccine due to never leaving the house. My hypochondria is acting up and I'm kind of anxious about getting the jab due to a irrational feel of getting an adverse effect. Is there any good material for reassurance?

It seems to have higher rate of side effects than most vaccines but I think it's still like 2/3rds don't notice anything at all with a large proportion of the reported side effects being limited to injection site soreness and lethargy.

Pfizer is less likely to cause side effects if you can get it.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

coke posted:

lol maybe i did take some by accident

i actually had my full photo gears with me and was able to do this

enhance

enhance

*~ENHANCE~*

Dayum, from the full resolution file or you did it with optics and a separate shot?

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Blooster posted:

Just put in a bunch of spaces or something stupid like just the letter S or Mike

I looked up where I think this is and went with Rossi and the school that I first read as Shartwing and laughed

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Topo Chico Debarge posted:

Try Guttenberg for the last name

Eyyyyy I'm respondin ta surveys ovah here! Gabbagool!

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Blooster posted:

I figured it logs IP addresses and if I do that it cancels the two out or something. Like I said I suck at computers.

I mean, in theory you are correct, but the people running the survey probably also suck at computers

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Kestral posted:

Survey response submitted, I hope it helps.

Provided I haven't burnt up any goodwill from that earlier post, I have a kid-related issue for the thread as well. I'm not a CSPAM regular, but this thread has the (justified) reputation for being both the most pandemic-cautious on the forums, and the most concerned with the wellbeing of children, so I'm here with questions on behalf of some kids.

I do volunteer work with kids in a homeschooling community in the US, mainly aged 13-16. They all got vaccinated as soon as 12-17s were eligible, even the ones in vax-denier households who proudly told me how they secretly got their shots without arousing parental suspicion. They've been clamoring for our group to meet in person again for a while, but the seriousness of Delta is now fully in their consciousness after a double breakthrough infection in one of their households (mom and grandma), and they're scared. They've asked me for some guidance about boosters, waning immunity, and what to do in case of breakthrough infections, and I've done as best I can, but pediatric information is thin on the ground and I'm hoping this thread will have collected more of it.

So, questions!

Do we have any information on how immune response is waning in teens/young adults, or are the data still pretty much based on the adult studies? And if we do have the data, does it vary meaningfully between Pfizer and Moderna?

What's the current best information on when teens should be seeking boosters? If they were adults I would tell them to seek them right now, but since they got their shots much more recently and also because kids are not small adults, I hesitate to propose the Max Titers route without some stronger guidance to that effect.

Finally, if you were in my position and you could give a COVID safety briefing to a receptive audience of homeschooled teens who will disseminate the information to their peers, is there anything else you'd tell them to improve their safety? Elastomerics will be brought up, rest assured.

I don't think you burned up any goodwill, not everyone thinks like a crazy internet detective.

Good on those kids for sneaking a vax! :3:

If everyone in your schooling group is vaccinated ans some of their homes are not, they're probably safer in the group to be honest. But really, they're probably the last group that should be concerned about the vaccine efficacy waning. They got jabbed more recently than most groups AND they're young and their huge titers should last longer. Not to mention that the reality is even before the vaccine, they truly are less likely to end up in the hospital.

So like, they should still mask around unvaccinated people (including <12) if they can, but I suspect in this case the benefit of the group meeting really is probably more than the benefit of avoiding other people. But if it's them who are worried and would prefer not to meet in the group than I don't think it should be forced either.

Not a doctor, just trying to give a somewhat informed assessment.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Forseti posted:

I don't think you burned up any goodwill, not everyone thinks like a crazy internet detective.

Good on those kids for sneaking a vax! :3:

If everyone in your schooling group is vaccinated ans some of their homes are not, they're probably safer in the group to be honest. But really, they're probably the last group that should be concerned about the vaccine efficacy waning. They got jabbed more recently than most groups AND they're young and their huge titers should last longer. Not to mention that the reality is even before the vaccine, they truly are less likely to end up in the hospital.

So like, they should still mask around unvaccinated people (including <12) if they can, but I suspect in this case the benefit of the group meeting really is probably more than the benefit of avoiding other people. But if it's them who are worried and would prefer not to meet in the group than I don't think it should be forced either.

Not a doctor, just trying to give a somewhat informed assessment.

Oh and to add a bit to this, here's a chart showing vaccinated and unvaccinated risk (pre Delta I think, but it's what I got).

I would think they'd have a comparable risk to a vaccinated 60 year old even without the vaccine.

Again, disclaimer, this is speculation on my part

Edit: I should have said *conservatively* I think they'd be as good or better than an unvaxxed 60 yo

Forseti fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Aug 18, 2021

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

:lol: I can't tell if they have poor grammar or they think that the school injected their kid with SARS-CoV-2 to test it out

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

They help reduce the circulation of fine particulates suspended in the air that virions cling to. They won't do much about large droplet exposure. I think it's the kind of thing where vaccinations + cubes + masks would currently provide enough mitigations to significantly reduce outbreaks in something like schools, but lol we're going to do like one of those at a time at most.

Agree, they're definitely not getting you anywhere near cleanroom status, but it's a relatively inexpensive and unobtrusive way to drop a few more percentage points off your risk, just don't go full Open Biden and throw away your masks and vaccines because you have a sweet cube. I'll take all the reductions I can get. If nothing else I can notice a difference just in allergies that justify the cost for me. Probably helpful in perpetually on fire states too.

To be honest I'm kinda wondering if I can stuff some UVC lights into my HVACs air handler too

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

mrbotus posted:

My room is really dusty for some reason and I always wake up in the morning with crap in my lungs. Will these filter boxes help with that?

In my experience: yes. But you should still dust/vacuum if you're a slacker in that regard (I am).

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

McNugget Buddy posted:

https://twitter.com/GovRonDeSantis/status/1425862297835216899

What if DeSantis is just letting Regeneron sell off their excess supply to old people who are going to die anyway

The pissed off looking lady in the mask is cspam

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

durrneez posted:

FINALLY got my husband to agree to wear a KN95 at indoor residency events. I asked if I should buy, like, 100 and he said, “I don’t want boxes and boxes of masks lying around the house. If I like them, we can always buy more!!!”

lol this düdühead :doh:

:lol: what? It's like the size of a box of tissues and doesn't go rancid or anything. Is he familiar with cabinets?

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

durrneez posted:

actual footage of my husband: https://youtu.be/RlF79D0iHaI?t=9

I'm glad he's wearing the mask now :)

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

crepeface posted:

we used to consider Queensland the Florida of Australia, but NSW has that title now.

This makes me curious, did Florida already have a completely poo poo reputation internationally too? Like even before DeSantis?

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Topo Chico Debarge posted:

Surely if ICU beds are for the extremely ill, then negative ICU beds confer extreme health to their occupants. Alabama, you done did it. You chudded your way to the solution.

I'm holding out for imaginary number ICU beds that can send me to an orthogonal dimension

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
:lol: got this today. So loving weird how people don't trust the vaccine is free. I guess I shouldn't have had insurance!

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The vaccine *is* free, that's just paying for the needle and the time of the person shooting you up.

:hmmyes:

VOTE!

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Anyone who has ever spent a moment caring for children knew that kids are massive disease vectors and reservoirs and you can find over a century of academic writing about how respiratory diseases spread in school-aged populations.

"Covid doesn't affect kids" was deliberate, cynical misinformation that resulted in an unknowable but likely substantial body count.

Yeah I was gonna say, pretty sure it was shot down by existing research. Much like her thesis.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

goth smoking cloves posted:

I assume all Americans means all 12+ right?

And 8 months out from their second according to the very last part of the blurb at the very bottom :lol:

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Joementum posted:

it's pretty clear there's no medical evidence for that eight month delay, they just put that in there for distributional or political reasons

Gotta protect those olds first! They're the only contributing members of society since they're the only ones with money to spend and the only ones who vote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Thoguh posted:

Which would put me not able to get a booster until early December and gently caress that, I'm going in early October.

I'm relatively young and got Moderna and probably would have accepted six months out without too much worry, but gently caress this eight months bullshit they pulled completely out of their rear end. Gonna get that poo poo ASAP now.