Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

BoothBaberGinsburg fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Feb 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Most of my job involves processing medical records and the covid admits have (unsurprisingly) skyrocketed. Got a patient in who is declining vaccination because they have an emergency kit that's full of stuff PROVEN to work!

I bet you can't guess what's in the kit!

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Spending 8 hours a day alone in a small room scrolling through seemingly endless and practically identical death summaries while the people in my life can't stop spitting in each other's mouths hasn't been great for my mental health!

Thanks thread for making me feel a little less gaslit.

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Tjadeth posted:

it took me a moment to realize this was probably referring to your day job rather than CSPAM
lmao yes well why doomscroll for free if you're this good at it!

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Any small faced lady goons able to recommend a well fitting half face respirator? I'm lost and really need to upgrade.

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Crazypoops posted:

well first off, do you see any roads nearby or any lights in the distance? oh and how much water and food do you have, is there a water source nearby?
I live on a mountain of dried beans and rice and only trust my cat

he is terrible at directions though

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

NeonPunk posted:

This would help you find your proper face size

That's great. Much obliged!

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Iron Crowned posted:

"Watch this!"
lmao

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Husband is now team respirator. Can't fully express my combined shock and relief. We've been at odds over so much re: covid until just recently. I dunno what changed but he's hearing me and I feel a lot better about his safety.

Also I made oatmeal cookies and the Aura I had on a hook in my kitchen smelled like cinnamon when I wore it on a walk. :3:

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Getting whiplash from how rapidly I go from "everything is so loving stupid and I hate it" to "everything is so loving stupid and it owns lmao" throughout the day

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

idk if this was funnier in my head or not but I'm feeling it.

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Iron Crowned posted:

They don't work without filters, hth
Curses! Thanks. I'll just say that they were hard to find back then and not that I'm too lazy to fix it

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

I loving love this thread.

When my mom told me her boyfriend tested positive, my brain broke in half. They're both immunocompromised, and my mom is a really sweet and forgetful lady who once tried to comfort my climate change anxiety with "Biden will fix it, sweetheart!" My dear, vulnerable, bunny-turned-human mother who just wants to see the sunny side of things, who hand sewed me an apron with heart-shaped pockets, who has trouble remembering if she took her medicine or missed a doctor appointment today is stuck in a windowless apartment with Typhoid Mary and her survival depends on how well she can adhere to airborne disease prevention protocols she just learned about secondhand from her idiot daughter (that's me!)

So when I heard her boyfriend is sick, I wanted to cry and burst into flames, because I thought she'd never listen to me the way no one ever listens to me, because no one likes a Cassandra and I can't help myself. I thought I'd be met with resistance, tears, and arguments when I told her how many people are really dying, that there's no lasting immunity, the cloth masks don't work well and they knew at the start, on and on. She was actually receptive to all of it which means she must be seeing enough for it to form cracks in the illusion propaganda built for her. She was just as heartbroken to hear all this as I have been knowing it. And while it wasn't GOOD it was cathartic in a way I can't describe. I know I can't protect my family but I feel like I'm giving them tools to protect themselves, and that's not nothing.

Despite being in a small windowless apartment with a positive partner, she's still negative ~10 days out. They're wearing N95s inside, they use separate bathrooms and don't mingle together. She said she thought if she were going to get it she surely would have by now, and I said NO it doesn't work that way, please keep being cautious because that's why you are not sick! She says "oh? Oh, of course!" And she's sticking to it, or seems to be.

From the valuable information posted ITT to the emotional support, this thread unironically saves lives and y'all are loving wonderful. Thank you. (And forgive the rambling, I'm not all the way awake and full of feelings)

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Real Mean Queen posted:

You’re lucky to have a mom like that, and she’s lucky to have a daughter like you. Good work.
Thank you, truly. :3: I'll do my best to keep it up.

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

salient posted:

men are getting increasingly aggressive with the "take your mask off i just wanna see your pretty smile" poo poo in public
Sorry to quote this from like ten pages back but yes. My husband remarked yesterday on our walk that he notices dudes aggressively leering at me like he's not even there, and he's not an unimposing guy. Usually I don't get looks like that unless I'm alone because I'm small and twiggy. Chuddy assholes think it's really funny to rev their engine at me while I'm in the crosswalk or pretend like they're going to drive into me. Then they get really mad when I don't answer their hooting. I used to confront guys like that because 99% of the time they're cowards who pretend you don't exist when you actually speak to them, but people seem (more?) unhinged now and I'm not trying to get loving shot or stabbed or run over for real.

Last summer a nervous man coming out of a gas station pulled his mask down to thank me profusely for wearing a dress, because you just don't see enough of that. :psyduck: I don't think the PNW is doin' okay!

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Really cool that I had finally convinced my partner to take more precautions just in general, and now the open 'er up pressure has him determined to hang out masks-free for dinner at our friends' apartment. Even cooler that as the date approaches, his initial assurance that me attending in a mask and not eating would be no big deal has evaporated. "Actually you could just stay home. Isn't that the safest option?"

Yeah dude, it's the safest option for both of us. I wasn't stoked about an awkward hangout and potential exposure anyway but I don't like the divide I'm seeing here and wanted to meet you halfway. I also wanted to see my friends, believe it or not, because even my introverted hermit rear end has limits.

Instead I was up stress vomiting all night because everyone around me has given up, not only that but demanded I ignore reality and give up too, and when he sees our friends I'll be hanging out alone with a corsi cube that HE LITERALLY JUST BUILT A COUPLE WEEKS AGO but now covid is OVER lol

Fuuuuuuuck

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Pingui posted:

You can't negotiate with terrorists.
Yeah "you do it your way and I'll do it mine" isn't the kind of compromise you can make with a contagious disease, I'm finding. I don't know how either of us can see each other's needs as being reasonable. I have been trying.

For anyone in a similar boat wondering how that works marriage-wise: lol, and furthermore, lmao

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Turns out "you can't have treats for a while" is the line where people will burn everything down.

Fuckin' truth. Went my whole life thinking I lacked resilience and it turns out I was actually in good company the whole time!

It's just that I can't really relate to a lack of Applebee's being the final straw that makes it okay to throw human lives away

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

The trap you're falling into is the assumption that everyone has the same understanding of the threat as you do. People don't explicitly think to themselves "I'll have to throw human lives away, but that's okay because I get an Irresistabowl." They think "COVID isn't a threat, so it's okay for me to have an Irresistabowl." They can't or won't understand the actual cost, for one or more of many, many reasons.

This is a really helpful reminder, thank you. It is something I know but forget when I'm frustrated. Snidely Whiplash isn't eating half priced apps and cackling to himself in the booth. (I mean, maybe somebody is.) And I'm also not a saint for abstaining any more than my loved ones are sinners for wanting to do normal human things two years into a crisis which has seen just about every level of leadership fail us.

It's just exhausting when you've got someone who was in your corner and was hearing the information and believing the urgency and right now they can't, it's not getting through, for reasons that are understandable if maddening.

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

mdemone posted:

okay I'm ready to call January complete.

as always, last 3-4 data points subject to upward revision

Thanks for posting these. Excess deaths seem to get through to my more skeptical relatives when other metrics won't.

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

hot witch divorcee posted:

having a bit of a normal time this morning as it is really hitting me how bad this month is going to be

Same, same. Not even trying to put on a poker face anymore. I'm a dead-eyed ghoul.

On the bright side, my half mask respirator makes adults avert their eyes as hard as possible and delights the small children they're trying to drag away from the crazy lady

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

My extra vulnerable mom is back to eating at restaurants(safely!), my partner went to dinner with friends in their stuffy apartment last night(mildly!), my extremely vulnerable nephew with every comorbidity under the sun has come down with a high fever for the third time in as many months, soon to be followed by his baby sister

hahaha

OVER!

:unsmigghh:

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

If you do any public health poo poo whatsoever you know that America's tremendous rate of maternal death is a huge huge huge problem and some jackass printing a chart saying "don't worry, your kid's chance of dying is only as bad as <insanely deadly thing>" has already broken my brain for the day.

Yeah I work in a related field and this is uhhhh not reassuring to say the loving least.

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Thoguh posted:

You'd think it was VE day the way people at work are celebrating masks no longer being required this morning.

I'm legitimately angry at the phrasing of all the emails and manager communications, too. It is 100% "Good news, no more masks!" and no a single acknowledgement that this might be anything but a good thing that every single person was looking forward to and excited about.

My office proposed a "mask day" so anyone who isn't ready to embrace death and disease can come in on the one day everyone else is guaranteed to have one on. You know, to help ease us into normal life again, since we may not be ready and need the help!

It's a hell of a lot more than most workers are being offered, inadequate as it is

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

https://twitter.com/jeffgilchrist/status/1499709435647778816?s=20&t=4QcpCYJZ0U6H4Y3jgZqZ0A

lmao open bowelden

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

fosborb posted:

place I used to work for was ramping up performance thresholds for "getting to work from home." don't hit those numbers for the month, and you have to come back into the office. insane

Oh hey ours was doing that too! It sucked!

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

fosborb posted:

I can't imagine doing that while juggling childcare

where are you going to be working any given month? who knows! just watch your acw best that you can!

I think before I came onboard they'd let you bring your kid in with you if they're not disruptive, which, lol. But I'm not sure how that works out when you're supposed to avoid violating HIPAA so maybe that's why the policy was either axed or seldom used. I'm a childless hag who didn't consider what an even bigger headache a "come in if you don't hit your targets" policy is for parents, drat.

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

tangy yet delightful posted:

Grocery store today had probably 90% mask wearing. We are 7 days from Oregon dropping the mask rules though so not too long to see how many people still believe the government cares about their health.

Yeah I'm not looking forward to that. Already had a maskless dude in the checkout line at a Petco look at me like :confused: and I wasn't even Bane masking it up, just had on an Aura.

A woman behind me was also wearing an Aura but thankfully she made up for it by standing .2 centimeters from the back of my skull. Turned around and actually startled a little. There was a completely wide open space behind us for her to stand without stacking up on me. Why.

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Real Mean Queen posted:

One of many frustrating things about covid is the way that bad ideas sort of accumulate and calcify, if that’s the word for it. One little drop of stupidity leaves a residue that other stupidity can pile up on, until we end up with these massive, immovable stalagmites of failure, monuments to our collective inability to loving think about anything. Restaurants and bars were closed, that was smart. Then the stupidity drip got in there and said we can’t pay people to not work and made it so they should be open, but safely, so space the tables out. Drip drip drip, they can’t make a profit at that capacity, let’s work toward letting them operate at full capacity. Drip drip drip, how does it make sense to have mask mandates in a setting where you have a hundred people maskless in a room? Drip drip drip, the waitresses that don’t wear masks now that they’re optional get better tips. Drip drip drip, only bandits wear masks, there oughta be a law.

Whole post is good, and this is just spot on. I wish I had more to add other than "loving hell."

Grats on the WFH position and I hope it works out well for you.

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

HazCat posted:

Be warned it starts a bit slow, it's got some slightly weird very 70s-y bits, and it's also relentlessly grim (especially if, like me, you have elderly parents who are half following barely-understood and insufficient government directives).

Oh hey that's my mom to a T! I'll watch this to torture myself.

My dad died a year before COVID appeared, and was the most stubborn man who ever lived. He almost certainly would have been sucked into all the Q poo poo and I would have gone further insane a few years ahead of schedule trying to argue with him. Not glad he's gone but I can finally understand being glad someone didn't live to see something.

I still talk to him sometimes even though I know it's just a void listening. About as effective as talking to some of my living family, really.

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

https://twitter.com/PeterHotez/status/1500459270327914499?s=20&t=HYm1A9Tmwsx5vCFxuGzPBA

I'm beyond sick of this framing and holy poo poo the comments are bad for my blood pressure. "Only unvaccinated people die and that's their fault, or if they were vaccinated they're such a tiny minority that it's not worth it for ME TO PUT MY LIFE ON HOLD!! I demand you tell me your medical condition so I can decide if I will deign to value your life! Stay in a cave forever if you're scared!"

A sea of nearly identical, heartless sentiments from assholes who certainly don't think of themselves as such with Ukraine flags and Build Back Better in their bios and usernames.

It's not that they aren't privy to the same information as I am. It's that they're refusing it.

Yeahhhh I'm back to thinking of this casual dismissal of human lives as evil.

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

well so much for the trope of relying on veterinarians in the event of an apocalypse

"Good luck, you injured piece of poo poo!"

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Platystemon posted:

Why is anyone worried about nukes?

We’re past the peak.

I want to laugh at this but there are so many unironic "well ackshually, nuclear war isn't that big of a deal" takes out there right now that I just - actually no wait I'm laughing again

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

McCracAttack posted:

If you think that's unhinged then get a load of today's Florida news: https://twitter.com/KirbyWTweets/status/1500872946214129703

look the virus is a very strong negotiator okay

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

I'm fascinated that even when I post stuff about masks on social media with few/no tags and no followers I still get people coming out of the woodwork to tell me how over covid is and how sad, fake, and/or funny my opinions are. How are they even finding me? Bots with algorithms I guess?

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

ex post facho posted:

Wasn't feeling well and took a sick day today, everything going on in the world plus covid and work bullshit is so loving grinding and fatiguing, even doing computer touchering

and hanging over it all is that if you lose your job, you lose your health insurance

I'm so loving tired, America is such a callously cruel place

:same: though I didn't take a sick day and kinda wish I had.

Hope you get to do some things that bring you comfort today.

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Jingoro posted:

Hmm, persistent coronaviruses. Let's see if there's precedent for that...

https://www.vet.cornell.edu/animal-health-diagnostic-center/veterinary-support/disease-information/feline-coronavirus

lol and lmeowo

Aw man, my lil buddy has FIV and I worry about keeping him healthy. Given the number of cat owners out there I'm surprised it's still semi-difficult to find much info regarding covid outcomes in domestic animals. Or maybe I'm just bad at finding it.

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

So far a grand total of 0 people in my life, friends or otherwise, are comfortable seeing me or hanging out with me in a respirator(husband was briefly on board, but prefers N95s). I mean I guess I could go to the museum or the zoo if I wanted to be alone and to feel like one of the exhibits. I used to enjoy doing more stuff alone, actually. But I don't enjoy being stared at or pestered when I'm just trying to look at a cool bird.

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Thoguh posted:

I simply would like to have the options other than "wear a big respirator that stands out a huge amount" and "not be able to do anything without accepting a risk of catching COVID" but I guess maybe that's just me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

HazCat posted:

I think the debate that starts every time Kylaer posts telling someone to trust their respirator comes down to one thing:

There are two groups in this thread, those who have little covid dissonance and those who have a great deal of covid dissonance.

I'm in the first group (and I suspect Kylaer is as well). I live alone, my work is fine with me wearing my respirator, and I'm not self-conscious about wearing a respirator. I get all my news (covid and otherwise) from these forums, so my only actual exposure to 'covid is over' is second hand and in a specific context that contradicts it. I have a great deal of control over my environment and my personal safety.

I find Kylaer's posts reasonable and reassuring. I trust my respirator, and it means I have found a balance that I think is both safe and sustainable in the long term.

But for people in the second group - people with family members or friends or jobs pressuring them to return to 'normal', people who are in environments where wearing a respirator gets you gawped at (and especially people used to blending in as normal and not used to being singled out in public). People who follow broader news sources, even if it's just tiktok or twitter or other social media. People who are constantly recieving the message, from multiple sources, that they are acting crazy -

For these people, this thread may be the single sole counterbalance to the entire world-gone-mad telling them they're crazy and overreacting. They don't come to this thread wanting to hear 'calm down and just do whatever, it'll be fine' even with the completely correct caveat that they just need to wear their respirator.

They want reassurance that they aren't crazy to still care at all, that they're right to tell their partner that they can't visit friends (because they know that the first few times the respirator will be fine, but eventually there will be a request to 'not wear your weird mask this time, can't you just use an N95 like a normal person?' and then it will be a fight. Or worse, they won't have the energy left to fight, and they'll have so thoroughly normalised visiting friends that not going would be an even worse fight, and so they downgrade their PPE 'just this once'...

There's no real good solution to this, except for people in that second group to consider putting Kylaer on ignore. Not as a rejection of them as a poster, but just a recognition that Kylaer's posts aren't going to be great for them given their circumstances.

And Kylaer, it might be good if you could ease up a little on it. Not everyone who posts in this thread about missing simple pleasures is just playing a martyr. Some of them are drawing an extremely hard line (much harder than 'necessary') because they've got more to their overall maths than just 'keep covid physically out of my lungs in this moment'. They just want people to commiserate with them about how living through a pandemic sucks. If it annoys you to read it, you could probably also just selectively ignore people and not miss out on much actual covid content.

An excellent post full of understanding. It felt good to read this as someone in the situation you described re: trying to balance adequate PPE without further alienating myself from people I'm very close to who do exactly as you said - ask me gently if I'm ready to relax my mask wearing in the car, or in crowded outdoor spaces.... And they know that while I'm not a medical professional, I work with medical records all day and I see what this thing does to people. And keeps doing to them. Regardless of my personal risk profile I don't want to inadvertently give those outcomes to someone else.

I don't fault anyone who's out there living the respirator life with no concerns and shrugging at all the weird looks. I'm rooting for you!

I just want that too. :sigh: