Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jamaica has 46% positivity

https://twitter.com/JamaicaCOVID19/status/1427294495779868678

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rauros posted:

can we get the old covid thread linked in the op? it's a historical document.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3926175

Why not goldmine?

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Saucer Hovers posted:

the OP primarily needs to be clean, direct answers to the same half dozen (good and right) questions that are asked every page

COVID-19 Resources

Vaccines

Vaccine Spotter - find vaccines near you

NYT Covid-19 Vaccine Tracker - breakdown of every vaccine in development with explanations of how they work/how well they work

PPE

Digikey - Respirator Masks / Zoro - Masks & Respiratory Protection - respirators for sale
Goon recommended: 3M HF-802SD, 3M HF-803SD (large), 3M HF-801SD (small)
Goon recommended filters: Cheap P100 cartridges, Less cheap P100 cartridges

Grainger - Disposable Respirators - N95 masks for sale
Goon recommended: 3M 8210

Bonafide Masks - Face Masks - KN95 masks for sale (coupon codes)
Goon recommended: Powecom KN95 with headband (black), Powecom KN95 with headband (white)

Be Healthy - KF94 masks for sale
Goon recommended: Bluna Facefit

Data

CDC Community Transmission Map - how safe is it to go outside?

Worldometer - rolling tally of worldwide COVID cases/deaths/etc.

Our World in Data - rolling tally of worldwide COVID vaccinations

HHS Hospital Utilization - current snapshot of hospital bed/ICU bed availability in the United States

COVID-19 Hospital Capacity - current snapshot of COVID-19 patient admissions by hospital in the United States

Twitter

BNO Newsroom - periodic updates on worldwide COVID stats and news (their data is largely taken from Newsnodes)

Dr. Eric Feigl-Ding - Epidemiologist

Prof. Florian Krammer - Microbiologist

YouTube

Dr. John Campbell - UK doctor who breaks down the latest in COVID news and research

Aaron Collins - PPE tester and reviewer

Archives

Goon curated COVID News repository

Original C-SPAM COVID thread (June 2020–August 2021)

McNugget Buddy fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 19, 2021

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gunshow Poophole posted:

definitions of "efficacy" and explanations of the concept of odds-ratio testing would be some good info to have in the OP, where's the goonsheet have we compiled something there?

As much as I hate it, the New York Times vaccine tracker is probably the best source for efficacy and what vaccines do what:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/science/coronavirus-vaccine-tracker.html

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mod sassinator posted:

nah this is going to be 12 more months of hell. with booster round 1 they'll get 3 months of libs scolding people to get their boosters, don't be antivax!, don't jump the line and get booster ahead of your turn!! then 3 months of "EVERYTHING IS BACK TO NORMAL THE BOOSTERS FIXED COVID FOR GOOD!!!!" then 3 months of "NO THE BOOSTERS ARE STILL WORKING, THERE WON'T BE ANOTHER SURGE... OK EVEN IF THIS SURGE IS HAPPENING THERE WON'T BE AS MANY SEVERE CASES... OK HOSPITALS ARE FULL AGAIN BUT THERE WON'T BE AS MANY DEATHS" and then 3 months of "OK, we have a new booster will fix everything (again)!"

Israel needs to start making GBS threads out detailed info on Shot 3 breakthroughs and if they're symptomatic

That's very important right now and in the immediate future - if they're all asymptomatic, then we need to open the gates and boost everyone

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Saucer Hovers posted:

i love you but THREAD FAVORITE HF800 needs to be singled out in this

I added links!

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm not familiar with KF94's - is there a recommended brand/model from Be Healthy?

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thoguh posted:

Bluna Facefit

added - thank you!

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

silicone thrills posted:

someone should really put the respirator and mask buying guides and links in the OP for real tho since like every time a new person pops in thats the first thing that usually gets asked. Also the covid data spreadsheet link. - this one https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12Ss6gA8ULL-2gxh4tWy12gFjTB078ba2KuxeqI9yz70/edit#gid=0

added!

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Steve Yun posted:

One mask can change a room, and if one mask can change a room, then it can change a city

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

meet girls at the store posted:

Actual interaction I witnessed at a pharmacy today:

Unmasked Man: “hi I’m here to get the vaccine, it’s my first dose”
Pharm Tech: “okay, unvaccinated people need to wear a mask though, I can offer you this surgical mask for use in the store”
Unmasked Man: “I’m vaccinated”

My mans got so used to lying about his vaccination status that he forgot to stop lying when he was getting the vaccine, he lied so many times that it’s a kneejerk response now

lol how did the tech react

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Google Butt posted:

Lmfao who did that, was a jackass

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3926175&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=7193#post517004230

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

etalian posted:

You also want to do the gamefaqs speedrun before boomer boosters get approved and suck up all the available supply over the next few months.

Also after getting shot will hold up the line by trying to pay for the purchases with a paper check.

If America ends up with like 30-40% positivity at some point, basically everyone in line for a shot will be positive

And the shots won't work since they're positive

That might be a problem

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We'll need drive up COVID clinics everywhere to save everyone from breathing in COVID at CVS

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I have a stupid question: is it worth getting like a t-dap booster or something to like, rev up your immune system if you’re not able to get a third dose of slut juice yet?

MMR/TDAP/Pneumovax have all shown some sort of benefit - even a study came out recently saying people who had a flu shot last year had less severe COVID

MMR definitely is the leading candidate for "might actually do something" since most kids have 2 shots of it and COVID largely doesn't effect them - a study came out last year tying high Mumps titers to less severe COVID

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i got turned away from CVS yesterday while trying to get a third shot even tho I literally told them i was immunocompromised

not as fool-proof as you would think

Book online

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i did, and i checked the "immunocompromised" box when i booked online. still got hosed

You are now Ivanna Brunch - book a first shot, madam

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Can you get an MMR booster as an adult though? Everything I’m seeing is for kids/college age adults.

Some states require a doctor's order to get it at a pharmacy, but for the most part you can just tell the pharmacist you need it for a work requirement and they'll bill your insurance. Say you work in the medical field or something - MMR boosters are commonly required there.

Call around to pharmacies/Urgent Care centers

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Business Gorillas posted:

i like the idea but we need you to be in the state for tax filing purposes and because we'd be sending you a computer

I've been thinking about moving to Illinois for a while now, but the southern half of the state seems to be chudlands and the surrounding states are all burning from COVID

Lollapalooza didn't help my decision making

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Well yeah, what matters more: a generation that everyone in power knows is doomed anyway, or fuckin' and suckin'?

It'll come out at some point that Biden's administration was told the cost of the expanded Child Tax Credit and started brainstorming ideas to save money

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pingui posted:

Here you go. NIH guidelines:

Reminder that Pneumovax prevents bacterial pneumonia and is also fairly easy to get at pharmacies if you can't get the COVID jabs

Kids can get either Prevnar or Pneumovax too depending on their age/preexisting conditions:

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/pneumo/hcp/who-when-to-vaccinate.html

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

McCracAttack posted:

KN95 = https://bonafidemasks.com/face-masks/
KF94 = https://behealthyusa.net/collections/masks
N95 = https://www.grainger.com/search/saf...5&filters=attrs

There are others but there's a starting point.

Edit: Check the "MASK UP" tab in this doc for more options. It's mostly about respirators (hint hint) but there are disposable masks further down in the "Other Maks" section. Plenty of options there.

I'm collecting stuff for a new OP in this post:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3976692&pagenumber=4&perpage=40#post517005495

What is the recommended N95 mask from Grainger?

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

poisonpill posted:

I’ve got a friend whose kids are going to school in a week. is there any way to get kids under 12 a vaccine right now? sign up for trials??

Not sure about trials - someone else in the thread was trying to get their kids into one and would know more about it

MMR booster couldn't hurt if they haven't already had one in the last year or two - kids usually get it in infancy and then again around age 5.

If the kid could pass for 12...just lie about their name and age and say they're uninsured

McNugget Buddy fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Aug 17, 2021

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pneumonia vaccine prevents pneumococcal meningitis as well

Everyone just go get the pneumonia vaccine

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pillsburysoldier posted:

Add mask fitters

Give me links and recommendations

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

crepeface posted:

I assume that means the pneumonia vaccine too.

Boosters are only given to children after infancy if they have a specific medical condition, so I'm guessing by Age 15 his titers were super low

This study just came out a few weeks ago:

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jocs.15888

quote:

Outcomes of extracorporeal membrane oxygenation in influenza versus COVID-19 during the first wave of COVID-19

First published: 09 August 2021

Purpose

Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) is a refractory treatment for acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) due to influenza and severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2, also referred to as coronavirus disease 2019 [COVID-19]). We conducted this study to compare the outcomes of influenza patients treated with veno-venous-ECMO (VV-ECMO) to COVID-19 patients treated with VV-ECMO, during the first wave of COVID-19.

Results

A total of 28 COVID-19 patients and 17 influenza patients were identified and included. ECMO survival rates were 68% (19/28) in COVID-19 patients and 94% (16/17) in influenza patients (p = .04). Thirty days survival rates after ECMO decannulation were 54% (15/28) in COVID-19 patients and 76% (13/17) in influenza patients (p = .13). COVID-19 patients spent a longer time on ECMO compared to flu patients (21 vs. 12 days; p = .025), and more COVID-19 patients (26/28 vs. 2/17) were on immunomodulatory therapy before ECMO initiation (p < .001). COVID-19 patients had higher rates of new infections during ECMO (50% vs. 18%; p = .03) and bacterial pneumonia (36% vs. 6%; p = .024).

Conclusions

COVID-19 patients who were treated in our institution with VV-ECMO had statistically lower ECMO survival rates than influenza patients. It is possible that COVID-19 immunomodulation therapies may increase the risk of other superimposed infections.

36% of all COVID patients having bacterial pneumonia is high as gently caress - and it sounds like the oxygen therapy just makes them more likely to get it in a hospital setting

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
[COVID-19] Biden Administration says every American needs a 3rd shot

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stereotype posted:

also lol @ us being right about the booster months ago. we're right about everything. there's going to be so many dead people

My uncle's going to Florida in November. He says he'll get a booster when they're available. He wasn't fully vaccinated until April.

April + 8 months = December

I can time out when each of my family members are going to die!

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nothus posted:

So most Americans are going to be green-lit for boosters right as under-12's are approved. Vaccine Clusterfuck II, Viral Boogaloo

I mean

In an absolute best case scenario we're in some sort of lockdown in 2 months because things are really bad, schools are closed, and people only leave their houses to get vaccinated

Prepare for the opposite of that

The Great Crab Bucketing

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Topo Chico Debarge posted:

Are there a lot of people reporting similar symptoms to their second shot from the booster? I don't recall anyone from the previous thread saying anything.

With my 3rd Pfizer it was just arm pain

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cr0y posted:

I'd rather have an updated booster with the new delta firmware instead of that non-rooted 1.0 poo poo

Pfizer's supposedly going to ask for EUA on their Delta-specific booster by the end of the year, so that'll only create more confusion when it comes to market

3rd shot now, Delta booster in ~6 months when Hell Wave starts to go down sounds like a solid plan

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AppleNippleBOB posted:

I assume I should wait a few weeks before a booster (just got un-quarantined/freed to get back to the covid mines after a breakthrough infection).

Or should I Max my Titters tomorrow?

Found this:

https://www.sarasotamagazine.com/news-and-profiles/2021/08/how-long-to-wait-after-having-covid-to-get-vaccine

quote:

If you’ve had Covid-19, you’ve probably wondered: How long should you wait until you get vaccinated?

There is a time frame in which your natural immunity has built up from the virus, but that immunity seems to only last for about three to six months. Vaccination is the next step to receive the best protection against hospitalization and death from Covid-19.

“You should wait about a month after recovering from the virus to get vaccinated,” says Morgan McSweeney, a scientist studying immunology in southwest Florida. “Once you’ve recovered and you are out of the quarantine period, your immunity is at the same efficiency as if you’ve received the first dose of immunization.”

Just like people waiting 28 days between the first and second dose of the mRNA vaccines made by Pfizer and Moderna, McSweeney says health professionals are advising patients to wait about the same time between having Covid and getting the first dose. This way, your body can build up natural antibodies against the virus, and have the added protection of the vaccine when administered.

Then, 28 days after the first vaccine, people can return for their second immunization. Or, if they’ve received the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, they only need one dose.

“You can certainly wait longer than 28 days to get vaccinated after having Covid—that is fine. It’s still going to give you a strong booster effect,” says McSweeney. “But I wouldn’t get it sooner than three weeks.”

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Someone referenced a spreadsheet that goons were keeping track of PPE in - does anyone have a link to that so we can add it to the OP?

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Petanque posted:

I went cycling yesterday and overheard two separate conversations about people talking about how the upcoming vaccine passport was so unfair (I'm in Quebec) and how people call them conspiracy theorists for their beliefs. My only solace is that given vaccination rates in the province, these people are in the minority but it sucks being reminded they exist. The best bicycle rides are when you meet no one at all

Depending on how long this drags on, vaccine passports required for doctor/hospital admission might become a thing

It would either spark a mass vaccination surge, or those same people would resign themselves to death

Not like they haven't already resigned themselves to death, but at least it would be on the books

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blaziken386 posted:

why does the thread prefer moderna over pfizer? is it just because u want as much juice in you as possible? because if so i understand

Moderna put out some release a couple weeks ago saying it better protected against Delta, but then in the past few days articles came out saying their reasoning is flawed because their initial 2-dose series was administered with a longer interval than Pfizer (4 weeks in US and Israel) and with a higher dose

So Moderna will probably wear off like Pfizer, but it might take a bit longer to show up as breakthroughs

3rd dose of Pfizer has very good trial data, and so far Moderna hasn't released 3rd dose data, but you can assume it would perform similarly

Pfizer goons rushing out to get Moderna as a booster is probably unnecessary, but CDC says it's fine so whatever

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The smartest post I"ve seen about any of this is "welcome to year 1.5 of a 5 year pandemic."

Doesn't really need much more said than that. That's how pandemics have always worked in human history. Get some beans.

It's possible the western world gets it under control first through pure gluttony of vaccine supply

That brings up a good question - if Pfizer gets full approval next month, can they up the price so rich people can pay cash and skip the line?

Welcome to Walgreens! COVID-19 Vaccine FREE*

*free to those 8 months removed from their second dose of vaccine, otherwise $250

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The vaccine is available to everyone 12+ in America completely for free and we're only barely at 50% fully vaccinated even with that ideal situation.

And even a 2-dose series can leave you permanently crippled, so those stats can be thrown completely out the window (same with Johnson & Johnson recipients)

Booster Crew shall inherit the earth

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mod sassinator posted:

the national parks have been pretty darn competent and good throughout the pandemic: https://edition.cnn.com/travel/arti...17T01%3A59%3A29

i was in one over the weekend and the visitor center building was great--everyone masked, lots of signs warning to wear mask. any areas that sold food were closed and all the tables had big signs saying "No eating or drinking indoors". genuinely competent and good precautions being taken!

Are they afraid people are going to get COVID from the deer, or that people are going to give COVID to the deer?

We live in wild times

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hadlock posted:

What is the effacacy drop on pfizer? I haven't heard of this and I'm fairly read up on these things? I thought so anyways

Titer data for US/Israel dosing (3 weeks between first and second shot):

McNugget Buddy fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Aug 17, 2021