Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Open Biden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

skewetoo posted:

I will summon my remaining strength to raise my hand and tap out a, lol lmfao

IPAD $1,873.41
IPAD DISINFECTING $39.60
IPAD ASSISTANCE $233.04
IPAD CONNECTIVITY $29.00
IPAD FACILITY FEE $650.76
IPAD DISPOSAL $205.50

TOTAL DUE $3,031.31
PAID BY INSURANCE $0.00
DUE FROM PATIENT $3,031.31

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

CaptainViolence posted:

so from what i understand, the last thread did to the forums what covid did to the us. glad to see a new thread get open bidened

Caused no problems whatsoever, and anybody who says otherwise is spreading antivaxxer propaganda? Good to hear.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

SKULL.GIF posted:

The sheep has completely submitted to his corporate masters. Bleat, sheep, bleat! Your coat shall be shorn for wool.

The lion unvaccinated, ventilates free.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Iron Crowned posted:

Waiting at the CVS, pretty blond lady gets in line for the pharmacy, sees my respirator, then puts on a mask.

Surprising it's about 75% mask compliance at the moment

poo poo like this is why the CDC's mask-off bullshit was extra loving dumb. Mask use (or not) is heavily influenced by social pressure. A few of us so aggressively don't give a gently caress about what other people think that we're fine walking around in elastomeric respirators, but a lot of folks just go with whatever everybody else is doing so that they don't stand out.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

skewetoo posted:

International safety just emailed me to tell me my respirator order in cancelled guess I'll just die

That loving sucks. How many places is that now that have told you to gently caress off?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

"Advised to", huh?

Anything without enforcement and penalties is just bloviating, so, basically, they have no restrictions at all. I'm sure that'll work out great for them.

meet girls at the store posted:

Actual interaction I witnessed at a pharmacy today:

Unmasked Man: “hi I’m here to get the vaccine, it’s my first dose”
Pharm Tech: “okay, unvaccinated people need to wear a mask though, I can offer you this surgical mask for use in the store”
Unmasked Man: “I’m vaccinated”

My mans got so used to lying about his vaccination status that he forgot to stop lying when he was getting the vaccine, he lied so many times that it’s a kneejerk response now

:hmmrona:

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Actually, thinking about it, maybe he's some sort of weird intersection of vaxxed-turned-antimasker and a third doser. Probably not, but who knows.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

jetz0r posted:

There were two posts in the old thread with the timeline of the CDC mask burning party destroying the OSHA covid regulations, one of them is here. Where was the other one? Those should be preserved, with links.

I'm trying to write up a concise post with respirator info for the first page, something like the one I kept sharing for wildfire smoke. Toss me the sites that have been good for respirators recently, :rip: industrialsafety.com.

You mean this one? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3926175&pagenumber=6166&perpage=40#post515856329

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

meet girls at the store posted:

Can you get an MMR booster as an adult though? Everything I’m seeing is for kids/college age adults.

Yeah, you can. After all, colleges still require them for older students. It's just something that gets talked about less since there are very few people who want them past college age.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

uncertainty posted:

So every open biden is place is touting the "vaccine protects very well against severe cases" thing. I'm trying but actually having a pretty hard time to find out what exactly counts as a "severe case". Is it hospitalizations? Something worse?

Hospitalized with supplemental oxygen (intubated), I think. Regardless, it's waaaaaaaay past the threshold of what any normal person would think of as "severe", which is why you get people with "mild" cases who are getting pacemakers.

Edit: Apparently not necessarily tubed. I guess cannulas count. But, yeah, "severe" COVID means you're pretty hosed.

Kreeblah fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 17, 2021

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

mod sassinator posted:

washington state is on fire, hospitalizations for the state just passed their winter surge peak and have zero sign of stopping

case counts are skyrocketing exponentially too

pretty drat strange we have so much more hospitalizations now relative to cases compared to the winter surge!

also king county is still shooting up and about a week away from blowing past its winter surge hospitalizations. this is one of the best vaccincated areas in the country!

mask mandate when Gov. Inslee!???

This winter's gonna be loving lit.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Mayor Dave posted:

casually thinking about my sister in law getting married in texas this weekend, entire family unvaccinated

Do hospitals sell gift cards? You could get them one of those as a wedding gift.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

mod sassinator posted:

lol i don't think we're going to make it past labor day without freezer morgue trucks in seattle

Wonder if they'll make a big show of throwing the bodies into them at the trucks down by Pike Place.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Iron Crowned posted:

What is an NPI?

This is another good question (along with the answer) to put in the OP. Other than actual medical people and folks here who have been obsessively doomposting accurately predicting the future throughout the epidemic, nobody is really familiar with the term.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

jetz0r posted:

we could get pretty good results if a certain few thousand people died. the ones who do more damage to the environment than millions of poor people, you know, the ones with vanity space programs who have to fly private jets and helicopters everywhere.

Unfortunately, they're the least likely to die from COVID. The current strains, anyway. Maybe some enterprising student in a lab with a protein printer could graft those 20 mutations onto the Modi variant to give it full escape properties, stick in the ones to make it SARS-level deadly for good measure, and then release it at Davos.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

crepeface posted:

wait, what's covid-19?

A Demoncrat hoax.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Helith posted:

it's the hottest new thing in Sydney right now, we'll send you some!

Ohhhhh. I get it now. It's your word for the flu, like how you say "removalists" instead of "movers" like everybody else does.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

So, like, what happens if the feds say no? Do they just leave 'em out in the sun, or what?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Foo Diddley posted:

startin' to think i got my ICU stay done just in time

I know I'm feeling glad I got my surgery over with when I did. It's only two weeks later, but I figure the hospital's probably filling up with COVID patients by now.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

mod sassinator posted:

I feel like any parent is allowed to spend a few risk points right now before the complete hellscape of school starts soon. When kiddos are going to the plague factory every weekday the risks of a restaurant dinner are going to seem quaint.

Imagine what the Emily Osters of the world are going to be doing. They're gonna be dragging their little superspreaders to every restaurant and poorly-ventilated event they can find because they "deserve a treat". I'm really just floored at how people think this is going to be just fine after seeing the same disaster play out over and over and over and loving over again.

And then, when the inevitable happens because of their horrific policies, nobody could have known. Not our fault. Must have been those unvaccinated/immigrants/whatever causing the problems that we had absolutely no power to prevent whatsoever.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Thoguh posted:

We will all be owned when we get sick late in the wave and the chuds have already taken all of the beds.

I keep wondering what's going to happen when some chud's family can't get them a bed because they're already full with other chuds, and the rest of the hospitals don't have room, either. I'm seriously worried that we're going to start seeing hospital shootings or something (which is gonna do wonders for retaining hospital staff, if they have to worry about getting shot just for trying to save people's lives).

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Hmmm. Maybe my friend Max Titers should get his unofficial third now-ish, and then an official third at the actual 8-month period. Should provide some good protection until then, and then jack them titers way the gently caress up.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
gently caress it. Let's just declare victory over COVID every single day. Big parties and everything.

Eventually, we'll be right. We won't ever be right.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I'm not a physician, but I work in public health metrics for a major US insurer.

My understanding of it, which may be entirely wrong but what we model for, is that once a significant enough proportion of the population is vaccinated, the disease's ability to propagate itself falls below replacement level and it dies out due to a lack of ready hosts.

I can't tell you what percentage that is for covid or anything else. I can tell you that it's happened already for measles in my lifetime. Why we suddenly can't kill off a highly communicable disease when we've already killed one off in my lifetime is left to the reader to figure out.

The answer to your (implied) question about the percentages can be found in this thread, where an epidemiologist lays out the (very simple) math:

https://twitter.com/EpiEllie/status/1422595200615133189

silicone thrills posted:

Instead of pandemic of the un vaccinated we should start calling it the children's pandemic now. Since they're the unvaccinated.

We wouldn't want people to panic, though. That might upset Number. Better to just let the kids die quietly and hope the problem goes away on its own somehow.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

DarkEuphoria posted:

Starting to think Covid is bad???

You just need to learn to live with the virus. And cheeselung. And brain fog. And . . . wait . . . what was I saying? Something about brunch? Need to make sure my table's going to be available on Sunday.

*cough, cough*

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

The Demilich posted:

I earnestly wish I understood the mindset that just refuses to accept they can't get 2 for $20 apps whenever they want.

How can it be that drat hard to just not eat out?

Some people just have no clue how to make their own food, and less than zero interest in learning. Like that guy who got a dozen long blacks or whatever from Starbucks at the beginning of the pandemic because he didn't know how to brew his own coffee.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Why did Republicans become anitvax?

Serious answer, Republicans loving love wedge issues because it means they don't have to give their base anything that would upset their constituents (rich fuckers). Don't get me wrong. Dems love 'em, too, and for the same reasons, but they seem to be too lazy and/or incompetent to go out and find new ones.

So, a few decades ago (IIRC, part of the Civil Rights Act fallout), the GOP was looking for something to use to gently caress the Dems with, and latched onto abortion. Up until that point, a lot of churches saw it as the humane way to go instead of bringing a kid into the world who was going to have a supremely lovely life of poverty. But, they started in with the propaganda, and suddenly abortion was murdering babies.

A little while later, some stem cells were harvested from an aborted fetus and used for research purposes. Instead of seeing that as something good that came out of the abortion (since the fetal stem cells still in use for research today come from the same original line), they started fear mongering about how medicine (and vaccines) relied on baby murder.

Add in the continual whittling away of our education system in order to remove any troublesome issues like "critical thinking" and you've got a base that's ripe for being told that vaccines are evil, that they have 5G magnetic tracking chips in them, or that they turn you into a crocodile, especially if a Democrat says that they're necessary.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

lmao i had no idea it was getting that bad here. holy poo poo

Yeah. We're super hosed. Like, even if we locked down (really locked down, not the fake bullshit from last year) now, a shitload of hospitalizations and deaths are already baked in.

Open Inslee.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

silicone thrills posted:

also wildfire smoke is coming back in tomorrow. lol really fuckin rules. love this hell world.

Another benefit of being respirator crew. gently caress clogging my lungs with that poo poo.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

gradenko_2000 posted:

1. I think it's a little preemptive to speak so conclusively on these timelines

2. I specifically think eight months for J&J is a little optimistic

3. The way it's phrased makes it sound like protection just stops after the six months, which is a dangerous way of conveying the information

4. While I appreciate that they're setting up the narrative for acceptance of boosters, at 10% fully-vaxxed in the PH it doesn't seem like we should be doing that yet

(other news today was that two guys got arrested for taking a shot of Moderna after already having been fully-vaxxed with Sinovac. That makes the third booster arrest so far)

How the gently caress are they getting a year for AZ? I thought we were already seeing efficacy issues with it a couple months ago.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

(I suck at image editing)

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

empty whippet box posted:

god, im glad i live in the US, where I'm free from the horrific effects of sustained social isolation. here I only have to deal with the constant threat of gun violence, 650,000 people dying of a preventable disease, extremely low wages, homeless people on literally every single street I walk down, and the ever-present threat of still getting covid even though i'm vaccinated, and god, compared to the horror of sustained social isolation I am just so so so happy I live in a FREE and CIVILIZED country otherwise my mind would be COMPLETELY hosed and I would be laughing like the joker pretty much constantly. Haha!!! HAHAHAHA!!!! ehehehe ahahhahEeuheauhaha

Don't forget the knowledge that if you get COVID bad enough to land in the hospital, it'll probably mean having to declare bankruptcy, because :lol: at any normal person being able to pay for that poo poo.

I sure do love living in a failed state.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Relevant Tangent posted:

What an odd take. Seems demeaning almost? People in the various service industries aren't servants.

I'm pretty sure it's more intended to be commentary on the attitudes of the sorts of people who throw tantrums about not being allowed to eat inside a restaurant during a pandemic.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Forseti posted:

I have no idea what their code looks like, but it's not going to scan every row with an index there* if it's written in a way that can use the index (which yours is). Even if it did, 100k rows should be a joke to a modern server, especially with caches.

What it most likely would decide to do given your query and index is index seek at O(log*n) to get the page's worth of indexes, then retrieve the data for only those rows. Although in the case of the drop down, they shouldn't be pulling back the entire row data to populate it since it doesn't use that.

There are a lot of things you can do to speed things up, starting with at least a prepared statement so it doesn't have to go through the query planner every time. For something that gets done very frequently though they should really be using a stored procedure.

* In general. The query engine can decide that it's faster to scan depending on its statistics and what exactly the query is doing. This is one of the reasons it's important to keep the statistics up to date, which can be a nightly task (or however frequently it starts getting out of whack).

The cost of a growing thread should scale like the red line here but it's very easy to mess it up and end up with the cyan line or worse if the developer is just banging out naive code (or letting some ORM library write the code for them because SQL is "too hard")

To tie it to the thread, this stuff is depressingly similar to epidemiology from what I can tell. Paying people who know what they're doing is too hard and they also tend to tell you things you don't want to hear. Just let some dingus who doesn't know wtf a database is bang it out with the ORM for max quarterly profits.

The fact that you even know what a query planner is puts you miles ahead of like 90% of the people writing code that interacts with databases. I'm pretty sure that most people just see them as loving magic, and then don't understand why their code that makes 17 full table scans along with some useless full joins and then a filter on the end to trim it down to one row of data causes the whole thing to fall over.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Forseti posted:

^^^ I used to be a DBA lol. I feel Eric Crackle-Ping's pain.

DBAs are loving unsung heroes. I just got moved over to a new team that's struggling with scaling an application, and it's just full of bad design decisions, many of which are database-related. They hadn't had any DBAs involved, ever, until I brought some in, and it shows. Meanwhile, I'm coming from an organization that has applications that connect to databases with hundreds of millions of records and would regularly put significant effort into shaving single-millisecond amounts off their response times, because that actually mattered. A lot of that involved effective caching layers, but our DBAs put in a ton of time optimizing poo poo as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Forseti posted:

Edit: Also it makes so much sense that the Cassandra COVID thread is full of DBAs and people who understand and appreciate what DBAs do :lol:

It really does. Definitely not a DBA myself (I'm one of the weirdos who got a CS degree, and then went into management and got an MBA), but I have some serious respect for what they do. It probably helps that I do know enough to usually be able to call people out on poo poo not passing the sniff test.

Pretty much every DBA I've ever worked with has had a laundry list of stories of arguing with people that if said people want poo poo to not be completely terrible, they really need to do the non-trivial thing. And then not being listened to and getting paged at 4 AM because "the loving database is slow again and it's endangering our SLA commitments".

Kreeblah fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 17, 2021