Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Last Thursday we went to the shelter and picked out two kittens: one bold, aggressive one, and one shy one who didn't want to come out, but was happy when dragged out and cuddled. We got them home and the bold one, Diana, promptly walked out of the carrier, checked out the house, and decided the overall situation met her standards. She slept with my husband and me the very first night.

The shy one, Byakko, promptly dove under a couch, which we expected. She plays with Diana when there are no humans in the room, she vocalizes occasionally, late at night she climbs the stairs and uses the scratching post. Today she's hidden where we can't find her. I'm not too worried, because we've been using the back door as an airlock: walk into pantry, close door, check no kittens there, open back door, leave.

I called the shelter to see if they had any tips, and they explained that Byakko had been part of a feral litter that had been trapped and brought in one by one, and that they'd slowly been socializing her. It turned out we'd been doing exactly the wrong thing: we'd been giving Byakko her space, when we should have been gently grabbing and cuddling her whenever possible, while giving her treats.

So. What are good treats for kittens? They're eating both canned food and kibble.

This is Diana, the Adventure Cat

I can't post a picture of Byakko because hiding; she's a grey-and-fawn brindled Manx with a bobtail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Can they eat dry food? I never met a cat that doesn't go crazy for Temptations, especially the chicken flavor.

If not call the shelter again and ask what they have been using as treats. at least you will know it likes it.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
We buy the Purebites freeze dried chicken breast, it seemed like a "healthier" treat option but I'm not a vet so that's just a guess.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Thanks! We eventually addressed Byakko's needs by trapping her in my son's room and having him forcibly cuddle her (as advised by shelter) frequently. She is now His Cat and shy of everybody else. I am slowly wooing Byakko with cuddles. However, Diana is her best friend and they chase each other.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Thanks! We eventually addressed Byakko's needs by trapping her in my son's room and having him forcibly cuddle her (as advised by shelter) frequently. She is now His Cat and shy of everybody else. I am slowly wooing Byakko with cuddles. However, Diana is her best friend and they chase each other.

But what kitty treats did you get? This is important.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Feline Greenies Dental Treats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
Fresh, raw organ meats. Ours get chunks of beef liver and beef heart. Once a week or so. Basically it's a huge vitamin boost for your cat and chewing their way through raw meat every once in a while also helps to keep their teeth clean. Make sure they have empty tummies before you give them raw food though. Raw passes through the digestive system a lot faster than kibble or canned food. If you give them raw food on a full stomach get ready for vomit city.

Congrats on your adorable kittens