Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010
Agreed, I got a bunch of stuff through that. The code is supposedly expired, but you could give it a shot anyway and see if it goes through- https://www.ddo.com/news/ddo-free-dungeoncrawl.

On another note, playing dungeons on hard is a surprising difficulty spike. Traps didn't seem to do poo poo on normal so we rerolled as a paladin and sorcerer and those are brutal. I suppose next life, we'll have a dedicated trapper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

This spell rocks. It'll pop you right out of that funk.
Yeah the trap scaling between normal to elite in heroic levels is much higher than everything else. Elite heroic traps can often just straight up kill you if you're not a high hp class.

Something like 95% of the required path ones can be platforming skilled around though if you're into that. For the most part, you don't need-need a trapping class to deal with them, though this is not something I would practice on hardcore.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah plus once you get access to raise dead, getting killed in a party is more of an inconvenience rather than a show stopper

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.
Its been hinted that there will be both black friday and christmas sales, I would wait for that if you are considering buying an xpac

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah plus once you get access to raise dead, getting killed in a party is more of an inconvenience rather than a show stopper

That's a good point, we need to hit Jorasco and stock up on some scrolls.

Lorem ipsum posted:

Its been hinted that there will be both black friday and christmas sales, I would wait for that if you are considering buying an xpac

Hell yeah. On that note is there any way to tell exactly what expansions I need? I know for a fact I got Menace of the Underdark and the Shadowfell Conspiracy on that DungeonCrawl sale for 99 points (I know it, because I did those on my last life), but it still shows up in the store for me.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Dopilsya posted:

Hell yeah. On that note is there any way to tell exactly what expansions I need? I know for a fact I got Menace of the Underdark and the Shadowfell Conspiracy on that DungeonCrawl sale for 99 points (I know it, because I did those on my last life), but it still shows up in the store for me.

Nope! Just check the wiki and see which quests are in the xpac and check ingame and see if you have access to those quests. Sometimes stuff you have bought disappears from the store sometimes not.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Dopilsya posted:

I don’t know if it’s as easy for DDO, but I reached out to SSG support for LotRO and they were able to get me a list of everything I owned so I could figure out which expansions I still needed to buy. I assume they could do the same for you?

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
HARDCORE: Wednesday, December 6th

Its a redux of the worst HCL:
+4 base level
2 extra lives

Should be a good time to try weird builds or do reapers if you are new HCL

https://www.ddo.com/news/ddo-hardcore-league

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Black friday sales:
https://twitter.com/DDOUnlimited/status/1727392403865100451

Lord Banana
Nov 23, 2006
Can I get a guild invite please? I'm in as Crabsley Jones

PMB
Oct 30, 2002

Moist and Delicious
Sent!

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

FREEDDO2024

Until Feb 11 this gets you pretty much every quest pack.

Also these expansions cost 99 points in the store which is next to nothing:
Masterminds of Sharn
Menace of the Underdark
Mists of Ravenloft
The Shadowfell Conspiracy

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

Fat and Useless posted:

FREEDDO2024

Masterminds of Sharn
Menace of the Underdark
Mists of Ravenloft

It's baaaack.

Not seeing any difference from last year's list of content fwiw. Glad they've made it available again tho.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Fat and Useless posted:

FREEDDO2024

Masterminds of Sharn
Menace of the Underdark
Mists of Ravenloft

Is there a way in-or-out of game to tell which Adventure/Expansion packs you already own? I'm pretty sure I've bought some when they were 99 pts before, but there are a couple I'm pretty sure I didn't buy and don't want to miss for 99 pts this time around (Ravenloft especially).

Pryce
May 21, 2011

DerekSmartymans posted:

Is there a way in-or-out of game to tell which Adventure/Expansion packs you already own? I'm pretty sure I've bought some when they were 99 pts before, but there are a couple I'm pretty sure I didn't buy and don't want to miss for 99 pts this time around (Ravenloft especially).

For the 99pt ones, they just simply won't show up in the store if you already bought them. But in general, emailing support seems to be the only way; their account site stopped updating with 'owned content' years ago and they don't have any plans to fix it. But if you email them and ask they can give you a comprehensive list!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Pryce posted:

For the 99pt ones, they just simply won't show up in the store if you already bought them. But in general, emailing support seems to be the only way; their account site stopped updating with 'owned content' years ago and they don't have any plans to fix it. But if you email them and ask they can give you a comprehensive list!

Ok, great...none are showing up, now I just gotta stop procrastinating and run the content :)

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
There's a bunch of stuff for Year of the Dragon. Monthly free* stuff for a year.

Year of the Dragon

*the first one is only free for VIPs

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Dragon Lord is free for everyone not just VIPs. After March 26th you'll need to either become a VIP or purchase via DDO Store (995 TP) to access it if you didn't already claim it.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Next reward is up: Slice of Life adventure pack level 18/34 in Morgrave University.
Make sure to talk to the dragon in the Hall of Heroes to unlock it permanently for your account before April 23rd. After that it'll be available in the DDO store and free for VIPs.

[Edit] Also daily gold rolls for VIP.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 27, 2024

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

DemonMage posted:

Next reward is up: Slice of Life adventure pack level 18/34 in Morgrave University.
Make sure to talk to the dragon in the Hall of Heroes to unlock it permanently for your account before April 23rd. After that it'll be available in the DDO store and free for VIPs.

[Edit] Also daily gold rolls for VIP.

I also got the code DDOPAX24 from going to PAX so enter that too I guess?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Weird.

Why would that be the only reward??

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

DemonMage posted:

Weird.

Why would that be the only reward??

Man idk

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

DDO Website posted:

Starting on Wednesday, April 24th through May 28th, 2024, all players can speak to Xatheral in the Eberron Hall of Heroes and select one expansion they wish to acquire for their account! All expansions except for Vecna Unleashed are available to choose from. You will get access to the playable content of the expansion

I can choose between:

Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh
Shadowfell Conspiracy
Mists of Ravenloft
Menace of the Underdark
Masterminds of Sharn
Fables of the Feywild
Isle of Dread

So should I get the Ravenloft one if I'm just picking one for free? From what I understand my newbie ranger would probably be best served with Ravenloft gear, so I'm leaning towards that expansion. Let me know if any of the others would be better, but I do ask you to explain why you think your choice is better! Thanks in advance!

Jorgos Nuuh
Dec 28, 2004
Pröööööt
I'd get Isle of Dread, it has a nice crafting system for end level and pretty baller drops all around. Also Ravenloft and Sharn etc old packs are occasionally on nice sale, like 99TP or so.

IOD is level 7 and can probably carry you further than Ravenloft that is lvl 10 but I'm no expert on rangers. I do love Ravenloft as a pack though, best quests barring a couple.

So, moneywise IOD is the best shot, imo.

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010
It depends on how efficient you want to be about picking up expansions.

Ravenloft was a ton of fun, but there has been a couple of sales where you could get Ravenloft, Sharn, Shadowfell, and Menace of the Underdark for 99 points. I got them that way, and I've seen that sale at least one more time since then (along with a bunch of free adventure packs!).

I don't have the other 3, but I believe Saltmarsh costs the fewest amount of points in the store, so for me it's between Isle of Dread and Feywild. I did enjoy the two Feywild quests you get without the expansion, but I'm not sure which one has more content.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Thanks for the replies...from your two posts I guess I'm leaning towards IoD then, because I think I have enough random, left-over DDO points to save up for a few 99pt expansions. Also, I don't play much except randomly, and I'm a lot closer to 7 than 10 :). Maybe by the time I get in a higher level bracket there will be (will have been) a sale!

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

DerekSmartymans posted:

Thanks for the replies...from your two posts I guess I'm leaning towards IoD then, because I think I have enough random, left-over DDO points to save up for a few 99pt expansions. Also, I don't play much except randomly, and I'm a lot closer to 7 than 10 :). Maybe by the time I get in a higher level bracket there will be (will have been) a sale!

I only ever do hardcore nowadays but my picks are:

Mists of Ravenloft
Fables of the Feywild
Isle of Dread

Dread and Feywild being more important.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
I have just picked this up and started to play a little for the first time in forever. I picked Feywild because of the ones people suggest it's the one I'm closest to ready to jump into.

Jorgos Nuuh
Dec 28, 2004
Pröööööt
Can't go wrong with free expansion, which ever you choose*. They could have done a bit better than the stupid 1 potion for us that have them all though.

Edit: Well, you should probably pick one of the newer ones, iod, feywild or saltmarsh because the older ones are on sale frequently.

Jorgos Nuuh fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 25, 2024

PMB
Oct 30, 2002

Moist and Delicious

Jorgos Nuuh posted:

Can't go wrong with free expansion, which ever you choose*. They could have done a bit better than the stupid 1 potion for us that have them all though.

Edit: Well, you should probably pick one of the newer ones, iod, feywild or saltmarsh because the older ones are on sale frequently.

Yeah, I picked up IOD on some alt accounts, it's the most expensive pack in store and has never been discounted (will likely change come next sale though).
Plus the whole dinosaur thing make my inner 6 year old very happy.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
If you want to play endgame, Isle of Dread is easily the best pick. It has the best endgame weapons and really competitive armor. It also has great heroic leveling content and dinosaurs. If you have no interest in endgame, there is maybe a world in which you get sharn since it has a bunch of quests that really nicely round out heroics and is newer than ravenloft (slightly less likely to go on sale). However, as the above posters pointed out, pretty much every xpac aside from IOD is likely to go on sale for super cheap if you are willing to wait.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Just wanted to thank everybody for chiming in. I'm going for IoD when I get home today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

According to the DDO forums, the Year of the Dragon NPC is temporarily disabled.

"We have temporarily disabled Xatheral, the Year of the Dragon NPC in the Eberron Hall of Heroes, while we investigate a bug with reward delivery. We will have more information on the timing and availability of April's Year of the Dragon gift soon."

latest update was Thursday the 25th: "There is an issue with the way the NPC is filtering displayed results based on what expansions you own. We are working to correct this issue as quickly as possible."

Guessing Monday at the earliest :D