Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik

Lorem ipsum posted:

Oh yea, that would do it. I really wish they would figure out how to squish the servers. Apparently its super hard because they did the old mmo thing and tied everything the character names so merging would be a nightmare.

I actually ran into a PAX Q&A where they say this is at least being actively worked on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jfbYogZGzc&t=745s, guild transfer being the big tech hurdle. In, err, February 2020.

With what a janky mess DDO is can be at times, I'm having a surprisingly good time getting back in the game! It's been a trip reading the official forums about what a mess everyone thinks the epic destiny rework is going to be, but even that sounds perfectly great to me when looking at the design principles and the state of the game where all my epic power spikes at 20, particularly now that U50 released all this epic crafting loot that made me go from EH struggling to EE comfortable within a week of returning to the game. Give me those new epic destinies, a gear pass for MotU/Shadowfell, add in server merges, and I bet I'd be happy for a good while. Sounds like they're gearing up for a new reincarnation tier for 30-3x also, what with there being more quests at levels 30-32 than 21-29.

That said, please, for the love of god, if anyone has an abundance of shield frames, I could really use pieces 3, 6 & 7. I have extras of 5 & 8, IIRC, if you could use any. Picked up one of those Quivers of Alacrity and want to get that upgraded before TRing. The thought of another full ransack of Necro 4 (I hate it!!!) & hours of encounter farming in Orchard (searching the crypts is the worst!!!) is not an appealing one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

Ihki posted:

I actually ran into a PAX Q&A where they say this is at least being actively worked on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jfbYogZGzc&t=745s, guild transfer being the big tech hurdle. In, err, February 2020.

With what a janky mess DDO is can be at times, I'm having a surprisingly good time getting back in the game! It's been a trip reading the official forums about what a mess everyone thinks the epic destiny rework is going to be, but even that sounds perfectly great to me when looking at the design principles and the state of the game where all my epic power spikes at 20, particularly now that U50 released all this epic crafting loot that made me go from EH struggling to EE comfortable within a week of returning to the game. Give me those new epic destinies, a gear pass for MotU/Shadowfell, add in server merges, and I bet I'd be happy for a good while. Sounds like they're gearing up for a new reincarnation tier for 30-3x also, what with there being more quests at levels 30-32 than 21-29.

That said, please, for the love of god, if anyone has an abundance of shield frames, I could really use pieces 3, 6 & 7. I have extras of 5 & 8, IIRC, if you could use any. Picked up one of those Quivers of Alacrity and want to get that upgraded before TRing. The thought of another full ransack of Necro 4 (I hate it!!!) & hours of encounter farming in Orchard (searching the crypts is the worst!!!) is not an appealing one.

Honestly, i'm super excited about the loot rebalance that happened and the upcoming epic destiny revamp. The official forums are a toxic wasteland of angry 40 somethings that haven't played the game in a decade. Hell, people on there were upset when they gave out a free sword of shadows for the 15th anniversary because it "devalued their hard work farming it" (you can still get this btw if you use the redeem code). Screw those guys, they got lucky once and pulled the sword, big deal. Its literally the same people complaining about the ED revamp and literally spreading deliberate falsehoods.

I might have pieces, but honestly you would be better off doing 3 iconic lives for the movespeed and just using speed boots until then. I have some unbound min level 1 striding 30/ff boots if you want those.

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik

Lorem ipsum posted:

I might have pieces, but honestly you would be better off doing 3 iconic lives for the movespeed and just using speed boots until then. I have some unbound min level 1 striding 30/ff boots if you want those.

You think so? I don't have any iconic lives, but was thinking of starting out with a Bladeforged, maybe. By my count, farming out three tiefling iconics would be something in the range of 100-200 hours of active gameplay, which is a pretty heavy investment. Then I'd be locked into using the iconic stance which could alternatively be replaced with a ML1 quiver item I already have (waiting for an upgrade), which is in a slot that is useless for most characters. And it's a pretty good quiver for heroic archers, too! By the numbers, I'd rather run another six or twelve hours of Necro 4, probably, and be done with it. Or just find a way to trade for those three fragments I'm missing. Not seeing the downside for it, where investing an iconic stance in low level speed looks a bit clunky.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Ihki posted:

You think so? I don't have any iconic lives, but was thinking of starting out with a Bladeforged, maybe. By my count, farming out three tiefling iconics would be something in the range of 100-200 hours of active gameplay, which is a pretty heavy investment. Then I'd be locked into using the iconic stance which could alternatively be replaced with a ML1 quiver item I already have (waiting for an upgrade), which is in a slot that is useless for most characters. And it's a pretty good quiver for heroic archers, too! By the numbers, I'd rather run another six or twelve hours of Necro 4, probably, and be done with it. Or just find a way to trade for those three fragments I'm missing. Not seeing the downside for it, where investing an iconic stance in low level speed looks a bit clunky.

I mean if you really want the quiver, it is a nice upgrade. I guess if you already have the base quiver which it sounds like you have thats most of the work done. I will say though, no way does 3 iconic lives take 100 hours. Its going to be like 40 hours max and also give you the class past lives too. ~1 hour/level is about what it takes someone who is slow at soloing. Farming just makes me want to die.

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik

Lorem ipsum posted:

I mean if you really want the quiver, it is a nice upgrade. I guess if you already have the base quiver which it sounds like you have thats most of the work done. I will say though, no way does 3 iconic lives take 100 hours. Its going to be like 40 hours max and also give you the class past lives too. ~1 hour/level is about what it takes someone who is slow at soloing. Farming just makes me want to die.

I'm pretty sure you could easily double your one hour per level estimate and then some for anyone who isn't powerleveling with years of system knowledge, quest routes memorized, with something like an Excel sheet ready at hand with numbers crunched for the right leveling plan. For instance, anyone who hasn't played the game in seven years and also expects to spend time dicking around, gearing their dudes up. Or having murderous impulses when Necro 4's Inferno of the Damned keeps bugging the gently caress out, or spending ten minutes jumping around waiting for spawns to oneshot while that idiot doomsphere drains my constitution every couple of seconds just so that I can get that optional chest I need!!

I'll take being annoyed about that kind of old world MMO bullshit (which has its own bull-headed charm) over farming out multiple past lives I don't really want (or need, as I already have this goddamn quiver) out of necessity. But, granted, I forgot that you reset bravery bonuses for these runs which really makes the levels go by a lot faster with the iconics.

In other news, just found out what minor artifacts are after looting this baby in Saltmarsh!

Ihki fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Sep 2, 2021

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Ihki posted:

I'm pretty sure you could easily double your one hour per level estimate and then some for anyone who isn't powerleveling with years of system knowledge, quest routes memorized, with something like an Excel sheet ready at hand with numbers crunched for the right leveling plan. For instance, anyone who hasn't played the game in seven years and also expects to spend time dicking around, gearing their dudes up. Or having murderous impulses when Necro 4's Inferno of the Damned keeps bugging the gently caress out, or spending ten minutes jumping around waiting for spawns to oneshot while that idiot doomsphere drains my constitution every couple of seconds just so that I can get that optional chest I need!!

I'll take being annoyed about that kind of old world MMO bullshit (which has its own bull-headed charm) over farming out multiple past lives I don't really want (or need, as I already have this goddamn quiver) out of necessity. But, granted, I forgot that you reset bravery bonuses for these runs which really makes the levels go by a lot faster with the iconics.

In other news, just found out what minor artifacts are after looting this baby in Saltmarsh!

Oh thats a dope item, I like that it has all the aug slots too. Minor artifacts can also slot 3 filigrees which is really nice

Keep in mind reincarnating also resets first time xp bonuses as well as chest ransack. I get wanting to stay at the endgame though, i've been parked there for a month just doing raids and its been fun.

e: I mean I get the appeal of the quiver but do you really have better boots than something like cannith propulsion boots or some other boots that give striding right now? I only feel squeezed on the boot slot when my gear starts filling up with set bonuses. If thats the case I suspect you are better geared than me haha

Lorem ipsum fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Sep 2, 2021

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik

Lorem ipsum posted:

e: I mean I get the appeal of the quiver but do you really have better boots than something like cannith propulsion boots or some other boots that give striding right now? I only feel squeezed on the boot slot when my gear starts filling up with set bonuses. If thats the case I suspect you are better geared than me haha

I mainly want the quiver as what I figure is the best-and-only-in-slot quiver item (epic version notwithstanding) for most characters in the game, but yeah, could even use it on my current dude (29 bard-swashbuckler probably hitting 30 today). I'm wearing these from what I had laying around, but if I got striding from something else, I could use haste to provide for the combat attack speed, augment the proofing and replace those boots with something that provides doublestrike, then looking get rid of my poo poo-rear end (pre-buffed) Crystal Cove buckler for something better. So yeah, turns out my boots are one of the two slots that I'd most like to upgrade.

Also using propulsion boots, of course, but only to switch on the go!

Ihki fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 2, 2021

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Why don’t you just get a quiver with your anniversary gift?

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik

Ort posted:

Why don’t you just get a quiver with your anniversary gift?

I did, but going back to my begging for shield fragments, it still needs to be upgraded with one of those stupid abbot seals. Besides raiding, those you can get by turning in full Necropolis tome or shield frame, of which my latter is at 5/8 parts.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
Reminder about XP bonuses this weekend:

1) Buddy bonus just started. +5% XP per party member
2) Extra +15% VIP bonus. Started a while ago
3) Normal +10% VIP bonus

VIPs get 50% bonus XP this weekend with a full party. VIPs get a 80% bonus in a full raid group for the weekend which is kind of insane. This stacks with XP pots, ship buffs, and voice of the master.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Ihki posted:

Severlin holy poo poo that’s a name I haven’t heard in like a decade

Inverted Sphere
Aug 19, 2013
Well color me curious about this, I've fallen pretty deep into D&D hell over the last year and this sounds like two great flavors that go great together. How newbie friendly is it? Am I gonna royally screw myself Diablo 2 style if I don't have a comprehensive plan for building a character from the get-go or a ton of free time?

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik

Inverted Sphere posted:

Well color me curious about this, I've fallen pretty deep into D&D hell over the last year and this sounds like two great flavors that go great together. How newbie friendly is it? Am I gonna royally screw myself Diablo 2 style if I don't have a comprehensive plan for building a character from the get-go or a ton of free time?

Honestly, not the friendliest. The game absolutely has many layers of old and weird system complexity (much of it branching off on its own from D&D 3.5e) that you're expected to find out for yourself. DDOWiki will be your greatest friend in this along with any fellow goons! And yeah, you are not likely to create a very efficient character build going in blind unless you start off by copying someone else's. There are ways to do partial and full respecs, which may or may not cost real money. That said, most "respecs", where you reincarnate your character and start a new dude on top of it while gaining bonuses for each time you do it, are very easy to farm out at level cap.

I don't know how the new player experience goes these days since I've only played through levels 20-30 since returning, but I think there are some improvements both to the power curve and ease of gearing your dude up, as well as the diversity of quests available. For an upside, you get a really impressive amount of content by doing the month-long subscription routine. For a downside, some of the cool new stuff (and best loot) for lower levels is gated behind the Saltmarsh and Feywild expansions which one would need to buy separately.

Build wise, I've been liking my old pure bard swashbuckler just fine so far, but have been eyeing out a next build from this DDO poopsock streamer du jour Strimtom's YT channel. Those lead me to this DDO forum thread with some character builds that might be helpful to look at in case you find something interesting! Notably, these are for -- what the gently caress, they have that these days -- hardcore league, but the idea is that the builds appear to be mostly self-sufficient, survivable, fine-tuned and competent soloers. I think barbarians and paladins are common first characters that are difficult to do poorly with, but I bet you could roll with any class you like as long as you do a bit of prepwork. Still, yeah, pick a plan and stick to it for starters.'

Edit: Oh, complexity related newbie friendliness aside, one definitely helpful feature is how you can scale pretty much any content in the game from braindead easy to :fuckoff: hard. You get better loot and more XP for harder scaled content, but it doesn't really matter because a first life character (before any reincarnations) takes a lot less XP to level up than a veteran character.-

Ihki fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Sep 3, 2021

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
Speaking of Strimtom, he did it, he caused the lag: https://twitch.tv/videos/1138966255?t=37030s. Maybe some insane physics thing is the root of a lot of issues after all

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

DankRhymer posted:

Hello, can I get an invite to Coatez please? Turns out I had a level 3 paladin from like 6 years ago when I tried this game briefly.

Well, you got the full leveling experience with us https://clips.twitch.tv/TrappedCleverCrabsRaccAttack-SJ8ipdgBkC8-x8Kn

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
A couple of days ago I got an odd itch to check up on this game and started reading over the Wiki. So many neat changes since I last played(When Warlock was added). I was shocked to see this thread, since the old one was so inactive it got archived. I am sad to hear they still have not merged servers, the population issue is by far the biggest hurdle. I am not sure how long I can run things over and over solo knowing group content will be a bitch to get done.

I do really want to finally get completionist, I think after Warlock I only had one life left, but now two with alchemist. I am guessing that I missed out on any big sales for the last few expansion packs?

Hmm, looks like my account was tied to a super old email and none of my passwords are working. Nothing in the recovery is working either. Guess I wont be scratching this itch.

Fenris13 fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 9, 2021

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Fenris13 posted:

A couple of days ago I got an odd itch to check up on this game and started reading over the Wiki. So many neat changes since I last played(When Warlock was added). I was shocked to see this thread, since the old one was so inactive it got archived. I am sad to hear they still have not merged servers, the population issue is by far the biggest hurdle. I am not sure how long I can run things over and over solo knowing group content will be a bitch to get done.

I do really want to finally get completionist, I think after Warlock I only had one life left, but now two with alchemist. I am guessing that I missed out on any big sales for the last few expansion packs?

Hmm, looks like my account was tied to a super old email and none of my passwords are working. Nothing in the recovery is working either. Guess I wont be scratching this itch.

Ah sucks you can't recover your account. Their support might be able to help if you give them the account name and the old email address. Agreed solo sucks though but luckily I only end up soloing if I play at weird hours.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
Success, the support team gave my old account a new email so I am back for the weekend! According to the guild log it had been 5 years and 6 months since I last logged in.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Fenris13 posted:

Success, the support team gave my old account a new email so I am back for the weekend! According to the guild log it had been 5 years and 6 months since I last logged in.

Sweet, weekly reminder that there are raids tonight at 9:30 est.

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

holy poo poo i forgot this game existed. in as Aegisbreak the warforged wizard, ready to be absolutely terrible at this game!

Ghosts!
Jan 6, 2004
I mailed you a guild invite, assuming you are on Argonessen. Ask away with any questions you may have, it can be daunting starting out.

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik
Also, money is close to useless for a veteran player. I often struggle to find ways to spend it, especially with the platinum cap being super easy to reach. But for a newbie, having a couple hundred grand can make an awfully big difference in how you can afford stuff from the auction house while building out your gear from nothing. Scrolls and consumables (very important!) probably cost something too if you don't have millions in the bank. If you could use some pocket money, let me (or anyone else probably) know. It's free real estate.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Ihki posted:

Also, money is close to useless for a veteran player. I often struggle to find ways to spend it, especially with the platinum cap being super easy to reach. But for a newbie, having a couple hundred grand can make an awfully big difference in how you can afford stuff from the auction house while building out your gear from nothing. Scrolls and consumables (very important!) probably cost something too if you don't have millions in the bank. If you could use some pocket money, let me (or anyone else probably) know. It's free real estate.

Yea, totally. I'm at plat cap on every character so please just ask.

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik
Oh, and, neat, Crystal Cove just opened. I was just complaining about this some week or two ago, trying desperate measures to upgrade my old event loot, considering they were buffed some years ago yet upgrading old stuff required access to the walled off zone. I even got my way in there, but the zone was also empty. No more. As it turns out, due to mercilessly working my kobold employees to the bone, my alt had some thousands of these gems and doubloons at hand which can buy right about anything within reason. There's some really good lowbie gear available there. Looks like item levels 4, 12 & 20 are generally the best bang for buck. You can find your way to Smuggler's Cove from eastern Harbor to whip some goddamn kobolds into working shape. More event specifics can be found on the wiki, of course.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
Yea, crystal cove is fun. Of note, the oar is one of the best quarterstaves in the game currently.

Also, on Wednesday, hardcore season 5 was confirmed to be coming before the end of the year so look forward to that!

e: My time has finally come

Lorem ipsum fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Sep 16, 2021

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
The test server for U51 is up now. The changes to epic destinies look dope. They basically threw out the entirety of the old system and now you can choose 3 epic enhancement trees which all have neat abilities now.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
Anyone have any spare depleted medium(2) or High(10) energy cells? I really do not feel like flagging for shroud just to buy these from the vendor.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Fenris13 posted:

Anyone have any spare depleted medium(2) or High(10) energy cells? I really do not feel like flagging for shroud just to buy these from the vendor.

I deleted all of mine but i'm pretty sure i'm flagged. I can check to see if they are unbound (I think they are)

e: If you flag for L.Shroud i'll help you run it

double edit: Here's the r10 experience if anyone is interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMYRbPcxgqU

Lorem ipsum fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Sep 27, 2021

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
Turns out I am also 1 large sulfurous stone short if anyone has one of those lying around, please let me know.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Fenris13 posted:

Turns out I am also 1 large sulfurous stone short if anyone has one of those lying around, please let me know.

Heroic? I have 30 of them. Also, i'm planning to TR my main on Monday so if anyone is interested in some heroic levelling lets group up!

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

Lorem ipsum posted:

Heroic? I have 30 of them. Also, i'm planning to TR my main on Monday so if anyone is interested in some heroic levelling lets group up!

Yes Heroic, and yes I am Anoto In game, kept missing you this night.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Fenris13 posted:

Yes Heroic, and yes I am Anoto In game, kept missing you this night.

Ah ok i'll just throw it in the guild stash on the airship tomorrow after work

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
How's soloing in the game? Last time I played was a few years ago and I'm only on super late night for US and don't think I ever bumped in to anyone

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Robo Reagan posted:

How's soloing in the game? Last time I played was a few years ago and I'm only on super late night for US and don't think I ever bumped in to anyone

With the exception of most raids and some necro 3 quests, you can solo the whole game. I personally just don't find it nearly as much fun.

Ghosts!
Jan 6, 2004
I play solo almost exclusively. The game is really great for doing a few quests for an hour or two without having to worry about finding a group to get things done.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
I enjoy soloing too. It’s much slower than a group but you get to experience the quests and learn them, and the learning curve gets so much easier once you’re familiar with a set of quests. You can really tell the difference in your skill and growth of knowledge life to life.

The only thing that majorly sucks is you can’t really rescue yourself from a death solo, excluding a Jibbers blade, so you have to restart the whole quest. It can feel like you’ve wasted a lot of time.

Ghosts!
Jan 6, 2004
On a side note, is anyone else having issues with not loading on zone transitions and having to restart the game?

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Ghosts! posted:

On a side note, is anyone else having issues with not loading on zone transitions and having to restart the game?

Yea, this is one of 2 major performance problems for the game, the other generally being lag spikes. When this happens, you can actually still chat and stuff - if you type /quit you will be able to see the chat window and it will usually say "recovering from failed teleport". This happens to me fairly infrequently (once a week) but i've had it multiple times in one day before and it really sucks. Allegedly, they are working on it and this problem is relatively new compared to some other issues.

I'm glad you guys are having fun soloing. If you do end up having the urge to do some raids or reapers at level cap though, hit me up. I have a healer, tank and sorceror setup to handle a lot of different content.

Lorem ipsum fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Oct 2, 2021

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik

Ort posted:

I enjoy soloing too. It’s much slower than a group but you get to experience the quests and learn them, and the learning curve gets so much easier once you’re familiar with a set of quests. You can really tell the difference in your skill and growth of knowledge life to life.

The only thing that majorly sucks is you can’t really rescue yourself from a death solo, excluding a Jibbers blade, so you have to restart the whole quest. It can feel like you’ve wasted a lot of time.

This, basically, although you can go back without restarting the whole thing unless you're playing reaper mode (which first life players don't want to do when solo). I think the period between the last player dying and reviving out of the instance, and the quest instance self-resetting, was five minutes. Make it back and you still get in with some penalties.

But yeah, I think it's one of the most unique and fun solo leveling experiences I've had in MMOs, and it has a lot of staying power. With how none of the content really goes out of date since you'll probably want to reincarnate and try new builds, and, with how well it scales as you improve in the game and want to up the challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm in as Orthalia Kronos. Took forever to find a name not taken.

How long would rep take to grind to unlock Artificer? I like tech in fantasy settings and paladin feels boring but safe for a first life. I have the coins to unlock it but if I can rep grind and use the coins for feywild I'd rather do that

Robo Reagan fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Oct 2, 2021