Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jorgos Nuuh
Dec 28, 2004
Pröööööt
I'll make an alt and collect the learning tomes and sentient exp etc. crap I get from expansions and do daily gold rolls. Sod actually playing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.
I said I was going to chill but I'm level 22 on hardcore right now. Reapers tomorrow

fucked-up birthday
Sep 7, 2006

I started playing this again recently but started on Orien because it was the recommended server. Is it worth it to transfer over to Argonnesen or just start new characters there? I don't have anything too high, a few level 10s is the highest.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

hosed-up birthday posted:

I started playing this again recently but started on Orien because it was the recommended server. Is it worth it to transfer over to Argonnesen or just start new characters there? I don't have anything too high, a few level 10s is the highest.

If you’re looking for a low lvl experience you could do hardcore. At end of season you get free transfers (dead or alive).

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

hosed-up birthday posted:

Yea, I def wouldn't transfer. Its a couple hours to get back to level 10 and transfers are fairly expensive. I'd hesitate to suggest hardcore to new players unless you really don't mind dying, but this season is a fairly easy one.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Came back to hardcore season 7 this time and had a real blast. Made all the rewards other than 20 rxp. I’m not big on companions so now I’m just playing for fun (and dying way more because of it).

This game is really great and the hardcore community is terrific. Wish they would just make the unlock coupon permanent so there’s not that barrier to entry for people to join.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

milkman dad posted:

Came back to hardcore season 7 this time and had a real blast. Made all the rewards other than 20 rxp. I’m not big on companions so now I’m just playing for fun (and dying way more because of it).

This game is really great and the hardcore community is terrific. Wish they would just make the unlock coupon permanent so there’s not that barrier to entry for people to join.

Honestly, the endgame community is great too on softcore. I love this game but there are so many barriers to entry including money its so hard to get people to try it. I also want them to make more adventure packs free (just take anything thats 5+ years old and make it free) and do some big decrease in the cost of old expansions.

e: BTW there is currently a preview of U58 up on the test server. Basically, it adds 3 new archetypes: Blightcaster(poison/DoT druid), Dark Hunter (ranger that can trap, throw traps, bunch of other stuff), and some demon based warlock thing where you get eye lasers and can momentarily turn into a demon and claw people

Lorem ipsum fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 20, 2023

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Lorem ipsum posted:

Honestly, the endgame community is great too on softcore. I love this game but there are so many barriers to entry including money its so hard to get people to try it. I also want them to make more adventure packs free (just take anything thats 5+ years old and make it free) and do some big decrease in the cost of old expansions.

e: BTW there is currently a preview of U58 up on the test server. Basically, it adds 3 new archetypes: Blightcaster(poison/DoT druid), Dark Hunter (ranger that can trap, throw traps, bunch of other stuff), and some demon based warlock thing where you get eye lasers and can momentarily turn into a demon and claw people

The producer has some videos out how they're concerned making content free will threaten VIP subs.... Just keep in daily gold rolls? I think overall people want *more* people playing.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

milkman dad posted:

The producer has some videos out how they're concerned making content free will threaten VIP subs.... Just keep in daily gold rolls? I think overall people want *more* people playing.

I mean like they don't even have to make it ALL free. I'd keep my sub if new content is not-free for like 2 years or something

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Lorem ipsum posted:

I mean like they don't even have to make it ALL free. I'd keep my sub if new content is not-free for like 2 years or something

She suggested something like that and I think it’s reasonable too. At least the value proposition on hardcore is there with being able to open on elite (though isn’t that frustrating if you’re premium that you can’t do that??)

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

milkman dad posted:

She suggested something like that and I think it’s reasonable too. At least the value proposition on hardcore is there with being able to open on elite (though isn’t that frustrating if you’re premium that you can’t do that??)

There is actually a store item you can buy that lets you open on elite but noone knows about it

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

Lorem ipsum posted:

There is actually a store item you can buy that lets you open on elite but noone knows about it

Do tell

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Single use though: https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Elite_Difficulty_Quest_Unlock_Token

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

oh its one use? lmao

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Lorem ipsum posted:

oh its one use? lmao

I couldn’t find it based on your description but didn’t know the item name. How many points does one cost?

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

milkman dad posted:

I couldn’t find it based on your description but didn’t know the item name. How many points does one cost?

25/per quest. Its prob not feasible to use

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Lorem ipsum posted:

25/per quest. Its prob not feasible to use

I think there could be some niche scenario in hardcore where you can pug 80% of the quests you need for favor rewards that this might be more economic than vip, but even then it’s marginal.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
Producer's letter with this year's roadmap dropped today: https://www.ddo.com/news/ddo-producer-letter-january-2023

Additionally, the CEO of SSG (company that makes DDO) also did a Q&A on twitch: https://twitch.tv/videos/1720270768 here are the cliff notes:

code:
-New epic destiny and universal tree this year probably
-VIP reward plan is for there to be continuous rewards for many months of subscription
-No new race this year (2023)
-They might make people able to get lizard gem
-New raid with mini expansion and in Q3
-UI scaling pushed back, will be worked on with ui art revamp
-Character model revamp incoming to modernize looks (Q4 2023 or later)
-Working on 2FA, hold up is they are building new launcher technology because launcher can't do it, which can't happen until they update the store (Early summer 2023). So New Store and den New Launcher and den 2FA
-They have a large lag patch coming for later this year to address many issues.
-Future reaper update is to remove reaper trees and replace with a scaling system that automatically applies bonuses based on reaper points aquired and gives bonuses at certain levels (think battle pass), that is also sharable.
-They aren't updating AC (AC is fine)
-They know there is a problem with imbue threat, and they wanna fix it
-They will definitely be adding support packs for DDO. To see an example, see link: [url]https://www.lotro.com/supporter-packs[/url]

Perpetual Notion
Nov 17, 2004

Lorem ipsum posted:

Producer's letter with this year's roadmap dropped today: https://www.ddo.com/news/ddo-producer-letter-january-2023

Additionally, the CEO of SSG (company that makes DDO) also did a Q&A on twitch: https://twitch.tv/videos/1720270768 here are the cliff notes:

code:
-New epic destiny and universal tree this year probably
-VIP reward plan is for there to be continuous rewards for many months of subscription
-No new race this year (2023)
-They might make people able to get lizard gem
-New raid with mini expansion and in Q3
-UI scaling pushed back, will be worked on with ui art revamp
-Character model revamp incoming to modernize looks (Q4 2023 or later)
-Working on 2FA, hold up is they are building new launcher technology because launcher can't do it, which can't happen until they update the store (Early summer 2023). So New Store and den New Launcher and den 2FA
-They have a large lag patch coming for later this year to address many issues.
-Future reaper update is to remove reaper trees and replace with a scaling system that automatically applies bonuses based on reaper points aquired and gives bonuses at certain levels (think battle pass), that is also sharable.
-They aren't updating AC (AC is fine)
-They know there is a problem with imbue threat, and they wanna fix it
-They will definitely be adding support packs for DDO. To see an example, see link: [url]https://www.lotro.com/supporter-packs[/url]

I'm actually pretty OK with the droaam content getting a legendary pass, some of that stuff was *really* good back in the day and an update to it would be nice for more gear tetris options.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I'm perpetually annoyed that Droaam is just a straight villain and a comic one at that but they're cool quests at least. Can't wait to do the minotaur quest on r10

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
I remember in the past they had talked about adding the ability to teleport into quests from anywhere for VIP's, but that it was not in the immediate future. This was like a year or so ago, and since they did not bring it up I am guessing it is still a long ways out, if they ever do implement it, which is a shame since that is right up there with TR bank management as the two things holding me back from playing more.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Fenris13 posted:

I remember in the past they had talked about adding the ability to teleport into quests from anywhere for VIP's, but that it was not in the immediate future. This was like a year or so ago, and since they did not bring it up I am guessing it is still a long ways out, if they ever do implement it, which is a shame since that is right up there with TR bank management as the two things holding me back from playing more.

Yea, i'm like 80% sure thats never going to happen. I'm still holding out hope that the bank stuff will improve though ever since they did a bit of a bank overhaul.

Perpetual Notion
Nov 17, 2004

Lorem ipsum posted:

Yea, i'm like 80% sure thats never going to happen. I'm still holding out hope that the bank stuff will improve though ever since they did a bit of a bank overhaul.

I had suggested they put in a wondrous item compendium like they did with the monstrous manuals, give it an account wide container that would hold precisely 1 of every account bound item in the game that you could remove or replace the item in any public area as you chose, which would allow them to cut down on the insane amount of unnecessary item ID tags as well as the huge TR caches that are likely eating up a huge chunk of the server resources, not to mention making item asset management for the players a much less tedious chore. Leave the bank tabs for the personal bound raid loot and the shared bank for consumables.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Perpetual Notion posted:

I had suggested they put in a wondrous item compendium like they did with the monstrous manuals, give it an account wide container that would hold precisely 1 of every account bound item in the game that you could remove or replace the item in any public area as you chose, which would allow them to cut down on the insane amount of unnecessary item ID tags as well as the huge TR caches that are likely eating up a huge chunk of the server resources, not to mention making item asset management for the players a much less tedious chore. Leave the bank tabs for the personal bound raid loot and the shared bank for consumables.

Yea I have also suggested pretty much exactly this

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

I'm perpetually annoyed that Droaam is just a straight villain and a comic one at that but they're cool quests at least. Can't wait to do the minotaur quest on r10

I haven't played this in... poo poo, like 8 years at this point, and yet I still sometimes think of the minotaur quest. "The slaughter of the minotaurs must go on." Also, the super secure vault that just has a picture of an anthro minotaur in it.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I tried logging in, and decided i'd want to reincarnate my main and start fresh, and then i see that i have to deal with 200+ items in the TR cache for some reason despite the fact that every single item slot I have can't hold that much so how did I get that in there in the first place, and my bank is incredibly tiny, and getting more bank space is extremely overpriced and also the bank is super messy and slow and why does DDO have to make such obnoxious obstacles to just playing the game and just let us have enough bank space to function without nickle and diming us for literally everything.

I enjoy the game, but stuff like this is why I end up stop playing/not start again.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Wolpertinger posted:

I tried logging in, and decided i'd want to reincarnate my main and start fresh, and then i see that i have to deal with 200+ items in the TR cache for some reason despite the fact that every single item slot I have can't hold that much so how did I get that in there in the first place, and my bank is incredibly tiny, and getting more bank space is extremely overpriced and also the bank is super messy and slow and why does DDO have to make such obnoxious obstacles to just playing the game and just let us have enough bank space to function without nickle and diming us for literally everything.

I enjoy the game, but stuff like this is why I end up stop playing/not start again.

Yep, totally sympathize. Game is pretty much unplayable as an endgame player without about 20 bank alts to hold all my poo poo. I was hopeful that the bank rework would lead to us getting more bank space but hope seems to be fading.

e:

Here is my current wishlist for the game:

1) More storage. Like a lot more. I need currently about 4000 item slots worth of storage.
2) Performance improvements. They are actually working on this and is has been slowing improving but like raids can still suck for lag. That being said, sounds like its more of a 2-3 year plan instead of something that will be magically fixed some patch.
3) Pricing old content appropriately. Old (5+ year) content should probably be free or at least A LOT cheaper. They need to figure out a lifecycle that makes sense for old expansions so people can get into the game initially.

Lorem ipsum fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 14, 2023

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
The free quest code is back for a limited time https://www.ddo.com/news/ddo-free-dungeoncrawl

You can also unlock a few different expansions for 99 points!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Lorem ipsum posted:

The free quest code is back for a limited time https://www.ddo.com/news/ddo-free-dungeoncrawl

You can also unlock a few different expansions for 99 points!

I thank you for this reminder. 😬

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
im thinking of picking this up again is argo still the better server to roll on?

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

snergle posted:

im thinking of picking this up again is argo still the better server to roll on?

In terms of population I believe orien benefitted from the “free transfers” that was going on. Note that server-based unlocks don’t transfer.

Argo is where most goons are, but the guild isn’t particularly active. I only really play during hardcore league.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

snergle posted:

Yea, i'd suggest playing on Argo. We aren't the most active guild but people do play and can help you out if you need something.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Started playing D&D Online for the first time ever. I made sure to claim the dungeoncrawl code too.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I just hit level 4 without ever even starting the first quest a couple of days ago. It takes like 2 minutes to smash some barrels and roll the free Daily Dice as you can see in my inventory. I installed the game to try it out, but can’t seem to not spend time that I used to waste in WoW & EQ playing Eve Online now. Doesn’t stop me from logging on every day to roll them dices 🤪. I think my character should finally be ready for that first adventure soon!

https://youtu.be/iAJE76ghbWc

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Once you get to level 4-5 those tokens stop being a noticeable bump to your xp so I end up banking them for next life to skip up to level 3 or so

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
Glad some more people are trying the game, I just really hope the lag update in a couple weeks makes a dent

Perpetual Notion
Nov 17, 2004

Same, I've been MIA a lot since wow finally had a decent expansion but now that myself and my standard leveling partner are caught up there we should be on DDO a bit more, still not a ton since I'm still in school for another year, but more.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
I can't seem to find any starter builds that are up to date. I want to be able to pick locks and find hidden doors but not also be able to deal some damage, should i just roll ranger or rouge?

Wyrmthang
Nov 30, 2014

As dry as it gets!
https://forums.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/527311-The-Supercrit-Build-Using-Handaxes-for-big-bard-crits

This is a great starter. Easy to include some Rogue levels to pick all the locks and disarm all the traps. Just read through the thread and you'll get a good idea of how to chop hard, and still be a bad-rear end trapper too. It's also done up from a first life perspective, so that should make it easier to get into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perpetual Notion
Nov 17, 2004

Elblanco posted:

I can't seem to find any starter builds that are up to date. I want to be able to pick locks and find hidden doors but not also be able to deal some damage, should i just roll ranger or rouge?

I have one that's similar to the above but its 12 fighter, 3 bard, 5 rogue. I think its better than the barbarian setup
Basic leveling path:
Rogue, 3 Bard, Rogue, Fighter, Rogue, Fighter to 18, last 2 Rogue
start with 18 intel, all levelup stat increases into intel
Single weapon fighting line, shield mastery line
weapon focus/specialization/improved crit slash
precision
then the big enhancement highlights include:
all chain enhancements
the swashbuckling along with the shield style for bucklers from bard
kensei focusing on whatever weapon style has handaxe
intel to hit and damage as well as know the angles from harper

Between your damage output and your high defenses most things will melt before they can do much damage to you, once you hit 20+ take enough into unyielding sentinel to get renewal, otherwise go with legendary dreadnaught and wear a wizardry item which should be plenty to keep you in spellpoints