Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

Elblanco posted:

I can't seem to find any starter builds that are up to date. I want to be able to pick locks and find hidden doors but not also be able to deal some damage, should i just roll ranger or rouge?

Both the above builds are great, but one more option is to play a dark hunter. They are rangers that have really high damage reduction vs traps and are melee focused. Here is a build for one:

https://forums.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/537448-Basic-builds-for-each-new-archetype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PMB
Oct 30, 2002

Moist and Delicious

Perpetual Notion posted:

I have one that's similar to the above but its 12 fighter, 3 bard, 5 rogue. I think its better than the barbarian setup
Basic leveling path:
Rogue, 3 Bard, Rogue, Fighter, Rogue, Fighter to 18, last 2 Rogue
start with 18 intel, all levelup stat increases into intel
Single weapon fighting line, shield mastery line
weapon focus/specialization/improved crit slash
precision
then the big enhancement highlights include:
all chain enhancements
the swashbuckling along with the shield style for bucklers from bard
kensei focusing on whatever weapon style has handaxe
intel to hit and damage as well as know the angles from harper

Between your damage output and your high defenses most things will melt before they can do much damage to you, once you hit 20+ take enough into unyielding sentinel to get renewal, otherwise go with legendary dreadnaught and wear a wizardry item which should be plenty to keep you in spellpoints

That actually sounds quite fun to play. I haven't done shadar kai lives yet, though i'll probably grab the shield speciality feat at 31 instead of the full line so I can squeeze in dodge, mobility and whirlwind attack as well.

Perpetual Notion
Nov 17, 2004

PMB posted:

That actually sounds quite fun to play. I haven't done shadar kai lives yet, though i'll probably grab the shield speciality feat at 31 instead of the full line so I can squeeze in dodge, mobility and whirlwind attack as well.

You'll dodge cap without the feats, and whirlwind is totally useless with the chain enhancements they're basically each 3 whirlwinds that are affected by your attack speed, the shield mastery line gets you a bunch of prr and doublestrike which is why its so nice and a well statted buckler gets you some very fine bonuses to your character

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

Well, the official DDO forums were changed to a new version and the old version has been archived and moved to a different subdomain without any URL redirecting. If you want to visit any old DDO forum bookmark you will have to manually edit the URL from forums.ddo.com to forums-old.ddo.com and put up with the broken stylesheet and links. Progress!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

That's probably the most DDO way to handle it yeah

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
Yea typical. I'll update the OP at some point...

DDO news:

Hardcore is starting up again at some point this month. Should be a full season with a fresh gimmick. We don't know anything yet.

e: Hardcore starts May 17th

Lorem ipsum fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 5, 2023

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

New hardcore league just dropped yesterday! Get in!

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Haven’t played for a few years, having fun this go-around. Taking it easy doing elites with a suboptimal undead eldritch knight “eh, that looks cool” non-build and a friend who keeps dying but plays way more than me and getting new characters up each time. Undead + shroud of night keeps bailing me out, we’ll see how it goes if I get to higher levels.

There’s just so much content I’ve never done, it’s nice seeing new stuff every time.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Surprised no one has mentioned the lag fix they put in a bit back. The difference is night and day.

If you’re familiar with turbines post AC (ac2, ddo, lotro) games they all had the same weird laggyness specifically with AI pathfinding, rubberbanding during combat, button presses not being registered etc. you probably know what I’m talking about.

Somehow, 20 years after its just been a thing in all those games… they fixed it? It is honestly weird feeling without the lag!

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
Lag was the biggest reason I stopped playing, I should pick it up again.

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010
My brother and I decided to bro-op this game and are enjoying it a lot, but we ran into a problem. For anyone who's done Against the Slave Lords, we're on the 3rd quest for (Assault on Aerie of the Slave Lords) it and there's a blue magic barrier blocking us from continuing past near where we found Freda. We looked all over for switches or runes or anything, but can't find anything. We wanted to run through the quests blind, but we checked the wiki which doesn't indicate there's anything involving a barrier and watched a couple of other youtube videos of people doing it and there's no barrier at that point? Any advice?

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
Can you screenshot it? I honestly don't remember that part super well. Is that the part with the laser and mirrors?

PMB
Oct 30, 2002

Moist and Delicious

Dopilsya posted:

My brother and I decided to bro-op this game and are enjoying it a lot, but we ran into a problem. For anyone who's done Against the Slave Lords, we're on the 3rd quest for (Assault on Aerie of the Slave Lords) it and there's a blue magic barrier blocking us from continuing past near where we found Freda. We looked all over for switches or runes or anything, but can't find anything. We wanted to run through the quests blind, but we checked the wiki which doesn't indicate there's anything involving a barrier and watched a couple of other youtube videos of people doing it and there's no barrier at that point? Any advice?

Is that right at the start? After the first group of spiders (if they spawn) and the umberhulks? Just before you go down the slidy bit and drop down.
I've had that happen a few times when farming that first chest. That barrier is there until the spiders in that pack (or w/e spawned at the start) are killed. Sometimes they spawn in a wall/floor and you can't get them so wall stays up.

PMB fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jul 10, 2023

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010

Lorem ipsum posted:

Can you screenshot it? I honestly don't remember that part super well. Is that the part with the laser and mirrors?

PMB posted:

Is that right at the start? After the first group of spiders (if they spawn) and the umberhulks? Just before you go down the slidy bit and drop down.
I've had that happen a few times when farming that first chest. That barrier is there until the spiders in that pack (or w/e spawned at the start) are killed. Sometimes they spawn in a wall/floor and you can't get them so wall stays up.

Sorry, I've been out for a bit. Yeah, it was right at the first part after killing those spiders. That's a little unfortunate, guess when we get back on we'll reset the quest and shoot our shot again.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Dopilsya posted:

Sorry, I've been out for a bit. Yeah, it was right at the first part after killing those spiders. That's a little unfortunate, guess when we get back on we'll reset the quest and shoot our shot again.

For what its worth, I really like boss fight at the end of that quest

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

Can I get an invite to the guild in game please? My username is Jacada Ansar

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Mailed you an invite.

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010
We're getting close to doing our first reincarnation. I see on the wiki that you can get bonuses from doing the regular heroic reincarnation and the racial reincarnation. When you reincarnate can you turn in both hearts to get both knocked out at once or is it one or the other?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

It's one or the other. A common thing to do is to go to level 30 and do an epic reincarnation which resets you to 20 and then heroic/racial reincarnate back down to level 1. That way you can make progress with both at once and see quests that you don't do during a heroic run.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
Ya, doing a heroic reincarnation will give you the most immediate power if you don't really have a plan

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

Wondering if anyone has any more links to the old Dungeons and Dragons Online thread OPs

2021 OP (this thread)
Dungeons and Dragons Online: U53 Now with more Feywild https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3976767

2020 OP
Dungeons and Dragons Online: Still partying like it's 2009 https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3927401

2013 OP
Dungeons and Dragons Online: The Shadowfell Conspiracy https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3565820

2007 OP (Archives upgrade required)
Come Play Dungeons and Dragons Online! Seriously. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2551660

2006 OP (Archives upgrade required)
D&D Online: Headstart Organization https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1804520

Maybe you've got other/older threads sitting in your bookmarks?

Blacula fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 20, 2023

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Blacula posted:

Wondering if anyone has any more links to the old Dungeons and Dragons Online thread OPs

2021 OP (this thread)
Dungeons and Dragons Online: U53 Now with more Feywild https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3976767

2020 OP
Dungeons and Dragons Online: Still partying like it's 2009 https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3927401

2013 OP
Dungeons and Dragons Online: The Shadowfell Conspiracy https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3565820

Maybe you've got other/older threads sitting in your bookmarks?

There should be a thread from 2006 but I honestly don't know if it still exists on the forums

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah it looks like the launch one and the two-three(?) I created before Shadowfell are gone at this point. Was there anything in particular you were looking for with them?

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.
The trick is, there wasn't an MMO HMO back in the day, so the headstart thread was back in Games. Also stumbled across a mid-2007 thread on the way back to that one.

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

Max Peck posted:

The trick is, there wasn't an MMO HMO back in the day, so the headstart thread was back in Games. Also stumbled across a mid-2007 thread on the way back to that one.

Thank you for finding the archived threads, very cool that some of the images were uploaded to the forums here directly.

Wonder why the last page of the second one isn't accessible.

DemonMage posted:

Yeah it looks like the launch one and the two-three(?) I created before Shadowfell are gone at this point. Was there anything in particular you were looking for with them?

I was thinking it might be nice to be able to link all of them in a future OP. Other MMO threads here do this and it is a nice way to keep them referenced.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
I forgot this game existed and went to go see how it was doing after all these years. Looks like theyre still charging insane prices for every scrap of content, which is not cool but whatever.

Lorem ipsum posted:

Both the above builds are great, but one more option is to play a dark hunter. They are rangers that have really high damage reduction vs traps and are melee focused. Here is a build for one:

https://forums.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/537448-Basic-builds-for-each-new-archetype

Been trying to make a character with this build, when stuff like this appears in the skill section:

Class Skills: Concentration(4), Disable Device(4)

Does that mean I spend 4 points in it, or bring the total mod to 4?

e: Looks like I can only get UMD to 2 in the first place, not sure how to get it to 4 at level 1.

Umbreon fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Nov 4, 2023

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
I think it means allocate that # of points. Skill points are all kind of subjective and it’s just leading you toward which are the most convenient.

PMB
Oct 30, 2002

Moist and Delicious

Umbreon posted:

I forgot this game existed and went to go see how it was doing after all these years. Looks like theyre still charging insane prices for every scrap of content, which is not cool but whatever.

Been trying to make a character with this build, when stuff like this appears in the skill section:

Class Skills: Concentration(4), Disable Device(4)

Does that mean I spend 4 points in it, or bring the total mod to 4?

e: Looks like I can only get UMD to 2 in the first place, not sure how to get it to 4 at level 1.

Cross class skills you get 0.5 skill points per point spent, so your case UMD is a cross class skill,, spending 4 points would give you a skill mod of 2.

They did have the free code thing recently where you could get all of the released (non expansion) quest packs for free. There is usually a sale of the expansions on Black Friday as well.

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010

Umbreon posted:

Yeah, that kinda sucks. But(!) I'm F2P and it's not too bad. I got most (maybe all?) of the content packs through a code when they offered them for free and then just save my points and bought an expansion with it when that was on sale.

After a long hiatus, I hit level 20 on my fighter. My brother is really not liking his archer character so we're looking to do the true reincarnation as soon as possible. I know we need 20 tokens of the twelve, and the wiki has a list of quests, but it seems pretty limited. Can we get tokens from stuff like Keep on the Borderlands or is strictly those? Also I have yet to see an actual token we're just getting fragments so far.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Tokens are just from the quests listed, and the full ones only drop in end chests. I think the Red Fens quests only drop parts of tokens but all the rest should have whole ones

E: once you get in the mood to grind I think the first lords of dust quest is the fastest to run through

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Nov 8, 2023

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

Tokens are just from the quests listed, and the full ones only drop in end chests. I think the Red Fens quests only drop parts of tokens but all the rest should have whole ones

E: once you get in the mood to grind I think the first lords of dust quest is the fastest to run through

drat, good to know though. We did the the Phiarlan Carnival chain since that was level 20 and only came away with fragments from all those, but afterwards did Devil Assualt and I got a token in the epic chest and another in one of the lockboxes so that was nice.

As a separate question, we're saving points to get expansions with. Anyone have a recommended order? Fables of the Feywild and Saltmarsh both sound cool, but I don't know if there's a better order to go in.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Oh yeah I run Carnival very rarely but that's all fragments too I think. I usually do Lords of Dust, Vault of Night, Sentinels of Stormreach (including Spies which is pretty long) and usually Demon Sands and the Chronoscope raid.

In terms of expansions first off they usually go on sale around Black Friday. The Underdark/Shadowfell/Ravenloft pack is good (the gear is outdated especially the first two, but they're good epic XP and Ravenloft is fantastic, plus it gives you easy access to good enough weapons), I like Sharn a lot and Feywild also has very good leveling gear. Dread and Morgrave are the current cutting edge gear but I haven't played a lot with them yet. Saltmarsh isn't bad but not really necessary imo

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Oh yeah I run Carnival very rarely but that's all fragments too I think. I usually do Lords of Dust, Vault of Night, Sentinels of Stormreach (including Spies which is pretty long) and usually Demon Sands and the Chronoscope raid.

In terms of expansions first off they usually go on sale around Black Friday. The Underdark/Shadowfell/Ravenloft pack is good (the gear is outdated especially the first two, but they're good epic XP and Ravenloft is fantastic, plus it gives you easy access to good enough weapons), I like Sharn a lot and Feywild also has very good leveling gear. Dread and Morgrave are the current cutting edge gear but I haven't played a lot with them yet. Saltmarsh isn't bad but not really necessary imo

Sharn is probably my favorite. Ravenloft also quite good.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Sharn and now Morgrave are the only ones that are actually set in Eberron, which is nice

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
When you say Sharn you're talking about this questline, correct?

https://ddowiki.com/page/The_Sharn_Syndicate

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Umbreon posted:

When you say Sharn you're talking about this questline, correct?

https://ddowiki.com/page/The_Sharn_Syndicate

Nope, there’s an expansion, “Masterminds of Sharn”

https://ddowiki.com/page/Masterminds_of_Sharn

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

Oh poo poo, I forgot we actually got the Ravenloft pack last time it was on sale, and yeah Ravenloft was 100% my jam. Not sure if we'll have enough points by black friday to pick up a new one, we'll try and give it a shot though, thanks!

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

milkman dad posted:

Nope, there’s an expansion, “Masterminds of Sharn”

https://ddowiki.com/page/Masterminds_of_Sharn

Holy moly $130 lol

e: So this base pack is worth it, correct? At least, when I get to that level anyway.

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010
Obviously you need the ultimate for that warforged peacock to show off. But personally, the last sale for expansions was something like 75% off on point cost (or cash if you're doing it that way) for all but the newest stuff, so whenever the sale rolls around I'll probably just pick up anything that's got a deep discount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
I’d wait, they gave all those away earlier this year.