Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik

Robo Reagan posted:

How long would rep take to grind to unlock Artificer? I like tech in fantasy settings and paladin feels boring but safe for a first life. I have the coins to unlock it but if I can rep grind and use the coins for feywild I'd rather do that

It's a bit trickier than many other favor (rep) unlocks, requiring high level raiding and/or timed Cannith challenges, which take some time to figure out and master. These challenges are kind of a detour from leveling/xp, but provide some pretty good gear. You'll almost certainly need a group for running through them when already trying to figure out everything else. I wouldn't recommend aiming for it on a first life character, personally, but it's definitely doable.

But! Playing the game without the monthly VIP pass is definitely not a good idea after the very first couple of levels (otherwise you'd need to buy related adventure packs to even grind out Cannith rep), so if you're going to invest in something, I suggest you buy a 30d subscription. You'll also get 500 cash shop coins per month of sub, which is already 1/3rd of the artificer's price. VIPs get artificer access for free (but if subscription ends, you'll need either the unlock or resub to login IIRC).

Ihki fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Oct 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I had enough funbux from the last time I was subbed to go ahead and grab it. I figure I'll have more fun with a new class and hold off to see if I want Feywilds and the new expansion but in the meantime I snagged that bundle from a few years ago that give you a ton of crap

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

Robo Reagan posted:

I had enough funbux from the last time I was subbed to go ahead and grab it. I figure I'll have more fun with a new class and hold off to see if I want Feywilds and the new expansion but in the meantime I snagged that bundle from a few years ago that give you a ton of crap

Pretty sure it is not free for VIP and it was a huge pain in the rear end to unlock for me, funbux well spent.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

Robo Reagan posted:

I'm in as Orthalia Kronos. Took forever to find a name not taken.

How long would rep take to grind to unlock Artificer? I like tech in fantasy settings and paladin feels boring but safe for a first life. I have the coins to unlock it but if I can rep grind and use the coins for feywild I'd rather do that

One life as any class is enough to unlock Artificer. You just have to run enough house C quests to get 150 favor: https://ddowiki.com/page/House_Cannith#Quests. I can help you with the raids, they are easy.

Also! Paladin is complicated and cool in this game unlike other mmos. Honestly, paladin is one of my favorite classes.

I mailed you an invite, check any mailbox.

e: fair enough spending points. Yea, it doesn't come with VIP you prob just had a gazillion spare points like me when arti came out.

Lorem ipsum fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 2, 2021

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Not regretting the decision. Running around with a d&d AK47 and being a menace to the wildlife rules

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik
Oh, that's true, I even thought I checked that it's free for VIPs, but probably multitasked my way rear end backwards into some adventure pack on the wiki instead. Oh well. Enjoy!

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What's the dev's stance on simple macros? I have a bunch of buffs that last 2 minutes which means I never use buffs

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Robo Reagan posted:

What's the dev's stance on simple macros? I have a bunch of buffs that last 2 minutes which means I never use buffs

I doubt they care if you have a macro to cast your buffs. People are doing much crazier poo poo with client mods.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo I'm glad I ground out the mount before going to do Saltmarsh. The zone is so big I assumed I had done all the stuff I could do at the time until I realized the level 32 in the quest log is misleading.

Will I get to keep the horse when I reincarnate or do I need to get the feathers again? And items I want to carry over need to be banked right? I'm awhile from being able to TR, but I want to know what I need to do ahead of time.

Robo Reagan fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Oct 5, 2021

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Robo Reagan posted:

Holy poo poo I'm glad I ground out the mount before going to do Saltmarsh. The zone is so big I assumed I had done all the stuff I could do at the time until I realized the level 32 in the quest log is misleading.

Will I get to keep the horse when I reincarnate or do I need to get the feathers again? And items I want to carry over need to be banked right? I'm awhile from being able to TR, but I want to know what I need to do ahead of time.

Anything in your mount or pet stable is shared across all characters on the server and persists over TRs. You are good.

All your banked and equipped items get thrown into a special bank area called the TR cache which is remove only.

https://ddowiki.com/page/Reincarnation has some good information, but the warning section is mostly paranoia in my experience - I don't know anyone who has gotten a broken reincarnation in the last 5 years.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
The test server just opened with the preview for the new caster-centric epic destinies and they look sick. There is a lot of cool stuff that looks like it will make combat more dynamic and just a lot of really cool sounding stuff (time stop????). New fatesinger is neat and the active music spells actually have little musical licks that play. You can see the lamm forum for the patch notes: https://www.ddo.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/266-Lamannia-News-amp-Official-Discussions

e: here are some of the things I think sound cool

Time Stop: Epic Moment: Enemies in a small area are Paralyzed and Helpless with no save for 6 seconds. They cannot die in this state, but if they are below 0 HP when they leave this state, they die instantly. Bosses and Raid Bosses are not Paralyzed, but are considered Helpless for the purpose of damage. 5 minute cooldown.

Shout it out Multi Selector:
Greatest Shout SLA : CD: 6s Cost: 6 SP You may cast the spell Greater Shout as a Spell-like ability with an increased DC. Emits an ear-splitting yell that deals 1d6+3 Sonic damage per caster level (up to caster level 20) and stuns targets in its path. A successful Fortitude save halves the damage and negates the stun, DC:20 + Highest of Stat Mod + Evocation.
Very Very Vocal: When you cast Shout, Great Shout or Horn of Thunder the damage is doubled.

Cut the Strings: SLA. Strike a note to reveal the cords of fate so you might cut them. All monsters within a wide radius around you are forced to dance (Will vs DC:20 + DEX/INT/CHA + Enchantment) pulled by the strings of fate for 10 seconds. In Addition for 10 seconds your character gains the ability to cut their strings with any weapon strike or spell at a rate of once per second, instantly killing them. Bosses if they fail their save do not dance but will take an additional 100 sonic damage that scales with spell power when attacked by you in melee for the duration of the effect. Cooldown: 60 second.

Daunting Roar: Breath Weapons (including your Dragon Breath Epic Strike) have a 25% chance to paralyze enemies caught within them with fear for 6 seconds with no save. This can only affect each monster once - once they have been feared successfully, successive attempts will fail. Enemies that are immune to fear are immune to this effect.

Lorem ipsum fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Oct 5, 2021

I love moon/night type magic in games so I am beyond pumped for those animations. Hopefully I’m not stuck playing a dumb pale master to make the tree viable.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Ort posted:

I love moon/night type magic in games so I am beyond pumped for those animations. Hopefully I’m not stuck playing a dumb pale master to make the tree viable.

Nah, magus looks like its going to be pretty powerful so you should be in good shape - especially if you mix in draconic

sgbyou
Feb 3, 2005

I'm just a shadow in the light you leave behind.

Just coming back to this and having fun for now. Could I get a guild invite for 'Waverer'?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Feywild rules. I knew it'd be weird but I didn't think it'd be killing windmills and gingerbread golems weird. It's such a better low level experience than the Harbor's loving around in warehouses

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
ra

sgbyou posted:

Just coming back to this and having fun for now. Could I get a guild invite for 'Waverer'?

Sent! Let us know if you need anything or any help!

quote:

Feywild rules. I knew it'd be weird but I didn't think it'd be killing windmills and gingerbread golems weird. It's such a better low level experience than the Harbor's loving around in warehouses

Feywild is top teir. The quests are fun, the music owns, it looks pretty, and you actually get excited about the loot. Ravenloft is the other one i'd put at the top just because the atmosphere of the place is amazing.

Lorem ipsum fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Oct 6, 2021

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I remember liking Ravenloft last time I played. I didn't get too far in to it. I dropped the game like halfway through the arc because I kept eating poo poo as a wizard. Swallowing my pride and first lifing as a paladin helps a lot. Only thing that bums me out so far is how dead the auction house is. I can't find anything good to buy and don't have anything worth selling, but so far I haven't needed plat for much besides hirelings and thief's tools.

Ravenloft is definitely the best. I’ve ran death house so many times and it’s still one of my favorites in the game.

Sharn sucks and I wouldn’t care if I ever set foot in there again. Hate the setting, hate the mobs, hate the quests.

Feywild is pretty cool but I am such a sucker for the harbor/house quests. I love the DM in them and they have a lot of 2009 nostalgia for me. Plus they’re way easy.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Ort posted:

Sharn sucks and I wouldn’t care if I ever set foot in there again. Hate the setting, hate the mobs, hate the quests.

I don't hate sharn (I actually love some of the quests like red rain, reach for the sky, and a lot of the cogs stuff) but it is usually much harder than other content at the same level. However, and this is important for new players - sharn is by far the best bang for your buck as far as expansions go. It has the most XP, the best gear in the game (in addition to the heroic version being at a really convenient level for heroic gear), and 2 raids.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Have they ever done an adventures giveaway for DDO like they did/are doing for LOTRO? This is always a game I've wanted to sink more time into because it's just so uniquely weird but being several expansions behind as well as huge chunks of content has always felt a bit bad. I have Stormreach and Underdark apparently so I'm not sure exactly how far behind I am.

Also if one or more of the later expansions completely depricates the need for the OG level 5-9 crypts and stuff please call me an idiot for worrying about it.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Orv posted:

Have they ever done an adventures giveaway for DDO like they did/are doing for LOTRO? This is always a game I've wanted to sink more time into because it's just so uniquely weird but being several expansions behind as well as huge chunks of content has always felt a bit bad. I have Stormreach and Underdark apparently so I'm not sure exactly how far behind I am.

Also if one or more of the later expansions completely depricates the need for the OG level 5-9 crypts and stuff please call me an idiot for worrying about it.

They gave away all of the adventures (not expansions) permanently like a year ago. You missed your chance to use the code unfortunately. They really need to at minimum make the older expansions free to VIPs.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Ah go figure, maybe they'll repeat it like LOTRO, thanks

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Can I get an invite for Kiyroh Eastknight? Took me a few days of messing around to pick a class and I didn't want to make someone send out like five invites

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Robo Reagan posted:

Can I get an invite for Kiyroh Eastknight? Took me a few days of messing around to pick a class and I didn't want to make someone send out like five invites

Sent! Obnopotamaus will probably make you an officer when he next logs in which will let you mail invites to your alts.

sgbyou
Feb 3, 2005

Hey could I get my alts into the guild, 'Lacrymablili' and 'Lamentable'.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

sgbyou posted:

Hey could I get my alts into the guild, 'Lacrymablili' and 'Lamentable'.

I invited Lamentable, but its telling me that Lacrymablili doesn't exist

sgbyou
Feb 3, 2005

Lorem ipsum posted:

I invited Lamentable, but its telling me that Lacrymablili doesn't exist

Doh, try 'Lacrymabili'

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

sgbyou posted:

Doh, try 'Lacrymabili'

Ok sent. I also added some info to the OP on raiding and high reaper stuff

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
lmao I just now realized Saga quests can be repeated. From the wording on it I thought you could only turn them in once. I lost so much xp not doing that turn in when I was grinding Ravenloft

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Robo Reagan posted:

lmao I just now realized Saga quests can be repeated. From the wording on it I thought you could only turn them in once. I lost so much xp not doing that turn in when I was grinding Ravenloft

Some sagas have a cooldown period but most of them you can just keep doing ya

Seizon
Oct 10, 2011

Is there any advice on making a useful swashbuckler bard? Is it even viable? Some buddies got me into this but for the most part I've just watched the cleric or favored soul instantly kill entire rooms while I knock over & smack one dude. I've looked around but all the guides are 5+ years old and assume you have 50 past lives. Also I get instantly murdered by a lot of spells even through deathblock

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Seizon posted:

Is there any advice on making a useful swashbuckler bard? Is it even viable? Some buddies got me into this but for the most part I've just watched the cleric or favored soul instantly kill entire rooms while I knock over & smack one dude. I've looked around but all the guides are 5+ years old and assume you have 50 past lives. Also I get instantly murdered by a lot of spells even through deathblock

So basically, spellcasters are going to dominate until epics. There really isn't much you can do as a melee that will compete with a fvs or sorcerer on-hitting a whole room. HOWEVER, melees can still be very strong and fun as long as you are ok with being slightly slower.

Strimtom has a couple recent builds that might be of interest:

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/527311-The-Supercrit-Build-Using-Handaxes-for-big-bard-crits

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/525278-Doing-ALL-the-quests-Arti-Bardi-Warlock-Party?p=6445288#post6445288

I can help you modify either of these builds to work with the races/classes/tomes you have. Biggest thing is that you can swap "tiefling scoundral" for a normal tiefling without issue

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik
My build, coming into 2021 from 2014, was some adaptation of the old Monte Cristo pure bard, which was pretty strong for back in the day. And that's what my character was, so better work with it. Once I spent a week or two getting my bearings and gearing up into a solid 2021 era ML20 epic set, it still worked quite well for soloing most content at level on epic elite to pump out a couple of epic past lives. I had pretty good DPS, fast run speed, great utility and CC. There's not much AoE -- though you can pick some up to kill weak mob swarms with shout or some epic destinies -- but it wasn't slow-going at all. It's going to run into some problems with hit rate in high level content (28+ for me) without picking up charisma to hit (feydark illusionist tree can help here if you have it), but until then, I'm pretty sure you could still make a serviceable build out of this. The enhancement trees are changed since then, I guess, but the stat, feat & spell layout is basically fine.

Ihki fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 13, 2021

Bardbarian with handaxe was the main way you would do it about a year ago. Kind of like strimtoms build but 12 barb 6 bard 2 fvs/cleric. You get insane crit range and multiplier. You can fudge the level allocation a bit as long as you get divine might. 12 barb gives you a better rage, more bard levels get you longer spell duration and more slots. Take haste and displacement.

Take the shield bash talents and use a shield that stuns like crabshell buckler and you will never get hit 1v1.

This build sucks rear end to play if you hate keeping up short term buffs. Rage lasts like 2 min and haste/displacement barely last a minute until you take extend spell.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Ihki posted:

My build, coming into 2021 from 2014, was some adaptation of the old Monte Cristo pure bard, which was pretty strong for back in the day. And that's what my character was, so better work with it. Once I spent a week or two getting my bearings and gearing up into a solid 2021 era ML20 epic set, it still worked quite well for soloing most content at level on epic elite to pump out a couple of epic past lives. I had pretty good DPS, fast run speed, great utility and CC. There's not much AoE -- though you can pick some up to kill weak mob swarms with shout or some epic destinies -- but it wasn't slow-going at all. It's going to run into some problems with hit rate in high level content (28+ for me) without picking up charisma to hit (feydark illusionist tree can help here if you have it), but until then, I'm pretty sure you could still make a serviceable build out of this. The enhancement trees are changed since then, I guess, but the stat, feat & spell layout is basically fine.

Yea, my primary notes about this build:

The gear is super out of date, make the following changes:

1) Use the "part of the family" set from sharn
2) Use a morninglord's weapon, not thunderforged. You could also consider using a midnight's greetings kukri which can be upgraded to epic(level 20) then legendary(30).
2a) The following weapons would also work with the build and inherently have charisma to hit/damage. They aren't the greatest weapons, but they are better than not having charisma to hit: Elyd Edge, Esper, the Shadowblade
3) Fill in the rest of the slots with winter set gear (summer set might also be good)
4) Charune, Grand Burden of Fury would likely be the minor artifact that you want if you go strength based
4a) For charisma based, you are likely getting a collective sight with charisma/insightful charisma on it and using something like "The Prince's Gauntlet" for an artifact

You can use borderlands items from early epics (the belt and bracers that give charisma would be good, as well as the weapons)

I'd also suggest getting charisma to hit/damage from 2 levels for favored soul if you don't have feydark illusionist. You lose out on the capstone for swashbuckler, but honestly thats a sacrifice i'd make to be able to hit stuff reliably.

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik
Yeah, the gear for that pure bard is far worse at level 28 than I have for level 20, there's been a lot of power creep since then. The lesson here is that most of the gear in DDO is outdated, some to the point of complete uselessness. That's why I'd honestly go a different route for anyone asking for their beginner's build and instead suggest how you can get good leveling gear. For most current content (meaning stuff that drops good loot), your odds are getting one item from a named chest loot table at a 33/16/10% rate per end chest on elite/hard/normal difficulty, which you can then further divide by the total amount of items in the chest's loot table (33% / 6 for six different items etc.). I doubt it's a super realistic objective to wear a set of heroic expansion gear while first leveling up, even if you've minmaxed enough to run elite difficulty as a newbie. You basically need group members to feed you their loot. Then, later, gearing up at level cap is in my experience a fairly marginal part of the game for many. Almost certainly so if you're first life. And gearing up takes a lot of time and effort when you get there, so much that I'd rather have most of my gear ready from running reincarnations before even thinking about needing it. The usual experience of trying to run for a single piece of gear is ransacking quests to no guaranteed reward whatsoever (after eight openings in a week, a chest no longer drops named gear = "ransack"). It took almost 100 chests for me to get a Blood Stone at ~16 chests per week, and almost as many to get a Flightfoot Greaves from Ravenloft. Some quests can be run very quickly for this, some take a lot of time.

I have a solution to this hell. Around level 7, the easiest gear of your life comes from The Red Fens, where each quest completion guarantees you get to pick from a selection of multiple named items, even at normal difficulty (and casual I guess). Here, in one evening of play, with the guaranteed rewards, you could mix and match three pretty decent sets that fit your character. With some random poo poo in other slots and some halfway decent build, you'll probably be well geared up for soloing many more levels of heroic elites (though I'm sure there's a learning curve for newbies) and maybe even grouping in low reaper. Many of these can also be upgraded to some pretty great items once you turn level 20 and re-run the Red Fens quests for epic crafting reagents -- again, you could be wearing three two-item sets that are great for level 20 in maybe one evening of farming that place.

Another place for really good mid-level (minimum level 10/11) loot is Sands of Menechtarun, which just had a gear pass update. You can farm most of the wilderness zone random bosses quite quickly (a few at a time) if using hirelings to reset the instance from a nearby quest instead of the zone entrance. Something like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz-DP8hPVzk. Quest loot from Offering of Blood, The Chamber of Raiyum, and Chains of Flame, is also excellent. All of this stuff can also be upgraded for level 20 with epic crafting, then, by running this area's epic quest versions for epic reagents.

Other worthwhile adventure packs for easier gearing (compared to running Feywild/Ravenloft/Sharn, which you of course also need to buy) include Phiarlan Carnival, Sentinels of Stormreach & Webs of Chaos, as they also have epic crafting available.

One more tip for gearing an outdated slot or missing bonus that you're not quite sure about is searching for the item attribute, or item type, on DDOWiki. Whether that might be Resistance +5 items, or, if swashbuckling, all bucklers. With gear, there's a few missing links, but almost anything you might want to equip can be discovered through category searches. Without them, I wonder if I'd know where to find goddamn anything in this game.

But when starting out, you also don't really need to sweat it. Put some thought into combining green stuff that's kind of useful, maybe go somewhere you know good named loot can be found, but unless you really want something, don't worry about going out of your way to farm That Best Item from some annoying quest. You'll progress quite well without worrying about elite (much less reaper) difficulty, as it takes half as much xp for you to level up as for vets. When you come around to it again, maybe your next sorcerer life can use all that poo poo that dropped for you that your bard couldn't, and it all starts coming together.

Ihki fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Oct 14, 2021

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik

Seizon posted:

Also I get instantly murdered by a lot of spells even through deathblock

Oh, and also, I think most of the dangerous spells you're going to find are some combination of monster champions casting multi-hit spells with damage-on-hit components. Namely, magic missile and chain missiles can deal a lot of burst damage through otherwise solid defenses, as force damage can't really be mitigated with regular gear, and the champion on-hits really pile up. You can use a Shield/Nightshield to gain immunity from all this damage, easily available as scrolls and wands (Use Magic Device check 20), fx. in the middle of the Marketplace.

In addition, unless you can cast Resist Energy yourself, you're going to want to carry around potions of resist fire/acid/cold/electricity/sonic 20, which will be well worth using even at high levels. Potion vendors are listed here, but basically, pay a visit to a guy in Tower of the Twelve.

Then there's more uncommon damage types like evil and negative, which will gently caress most anyone up in a raw spot. An unlucky throw against a disintegrate will deal a billion damage even through deathblock, and while a few items give you resists, you're probably best served by getting more HP :shrug:

Ihki fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Oct 14, 2021

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
I agree that a full setup of endgame gear is unrealistic to expect for a first life character. However, I think its good to know what you can work towards. As far as farming gear out - don't do it alone. Ask one of us or at minimum open a public group and tell people what you are farming.

And yea, you make a great point about the upgradeable items from sands/carnival/fens. Those items are fairly accessible now even if you might need to farm out the runes a bit to upgrade them. My suggestion would still be to get some epic borderlands gear though - its just so useful and you can wear it right when you hit epics and get a good power spike. I will usually wear borderlands stuff until level cap and then either switch to an endgame set or TR.

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik
Oh, absolutely, Borderlands gear is well worth going for, not the least since the quests are also pretty quick and comfy to run. Overall I think the epic crafting stuff gives you more mileage (and a lot more diversity) if you can match some valuable set bonuses, but at a minimum, you want one of those Borderlands' insightful+quality items for your main stat. If you can find one, pop a festive stat augment on one of those and off you go. For WIS and INT, you could get festive augments from the event that begins today, it seems, so, neat.

Ihki fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Seizon posted:

Also I get instantly murdered by a lot of spells even through deathblock

I also suspect you just don't have enough HP. Getting items with Con and false life on them helps a lot.

Ihki posted:

In addition, unless you can cast Resist Energy yourself, you're going to want to carry around potions of resist fire/acid/cold/electricity/sonic 20, which will be well worth using even at high levels. Potion vendors are listed here, but basically, pay a visit to a guy in Tower of the Twelve.

Also! If you run all of tangleroot gorge (I run this at level 5 or 6), you get enough favor to use the house phiarlian buff vendor. The buffs are extremely strong at that level and very good on hardcore. They only last 30 minutes so I don't do it often on softcore, but its a good way to increase your survivability with minimal effort.

e: Also, use the guild potion/wand/scroll vendors in house K for most of your consumables. They are cheaper there and those vendors basically just have the "useful" consumables and not all of the other cruft.

Lorem ipsum fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 14, 2021