Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

StashAugustine posted:

I think today I finally figured out Amber Temple. Still made someone else do the necropolis rat maze

Sick, great quest isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So I haven't played since like 2006 when this game came out but I see they added (are adding? Not sure) some kinda dino island thing that made me remember 'oh right this game exists' so here I am downloading it. I forgot it was set in Eberron, aka the only objectively good D&D setting so I assume with this dinosaur zone coming out I can be the ultimate dream of a dino riding halfling barbarian as The Silver Flame intends?

According to the account page I'm a 'premium' member, this isn't VIP right? I assume it's the 'you spent money at one point' mid-level thing? Is there any general guide for new players coming in this late into things or is it just 'do whatever and you'll find something fun'?

Also kinda dumb question but I'm a LOTRO lifer, I assume there's no crossover benefits but is the funbux point coin things a shared pool or does DDO have their own currency?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah premium is "spent money once," and I'm pretty sure there's no explicit crossover. If you're a longtime returning player I'd probably focus on just getting a character to 20/30, either a new one or an existing one if you can reincarnate it or salvage the decade-old build. I think the new expansion is gonna be one of the bullshit plane hopping things they do as an excuse to jam all the old Greyhawk stuff in without having the license, but at least for cash you can finally get the raptor mount for all your Talenta plains needs. (I wouldn't be surprised if a free version turned up in raid loot at some point.) If you're on Argonessen there's a goon guild which is useful if someone happens to be in your level range. Plus ask all the questions you want because basically no one plays the game except people who know way too much about it so explaining it to newbies is always great

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Neat, I haven't been able to get in due to stuff being busy in real life so I haven't seen exactly what's open, can I make an artificer right away or is it one of the store classes? I saw the wiki said it was but it seems a bit old so I'm not sure if it or the OP saying most classes/races are free now is more up to date. Is there a good list of what's exactly free and what needs to get bought (and what's worth buying, at that?)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Artificer isn't free but its available as an unlock and not that difficult to get, I wouldn't buy it unless money is no object and your heart is set on it. I think aasimar and alchemists are the only race/class that can't be unlocked by playing the game. Should also be noted that subscribing makes most of them free, but I'm not 100% sure on Artificer- I think you might have to unlock it anyway

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Huh looks like I've got a little over 3k funbux coins to spend, are any of the big expansion quest sets worth getting special? Stuff like Ravenloft and the Fey stuff?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

-Menace of the Underdark/Shadowfell: good for epic and late heroic leveling; gear is mostly bad; in the forgotten realms which is either a plus or minus (a few quests are actually pretty cool imo)

-Ravenloft: good mid heroic leveling and endgame content including two fun raids; excellent atmosphere; most gear is okay but not great; easy access to leveling and entry level endgame weapons, as well as easiest access to sentient weapons for endgame

-Masterminds of Sharn: late heroic leveling and endgame, decent atmosphere and the only real Eberron expansion, has very good 3 piece gear sets which are used in a lot of builds, raids are decent but kinda tricky for pugs

-Feywild: Early leveling and endgame, has very good gear both for leveling, for complementing other sets, and for full sets; quests are goofy but pretty decent; an extremely good and easy raid with very good gear

-Saltmarsh: Very early (perhaps too early) leveling and endgame, no raids, okay gear, provides options to upgrade certain older gear to current endgame

Should be noted that MOTU/Shadowfell/Ravenloft are often bundled together and are occasionally very very cheap. If youve got a bit of money I'd recommend subscribing which should get you access to all the other quests except the ones just listed (especially since they've twice recently given them all out for free permanently and are implying that they'll do it again at some point)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea decided to just pay the VIP sub to have a lot of options, looks like it unlocked a lot though I literally just started and my baby dragonborn bard isn't even done with the intro island yet (just hit level 2 though and it seems like this 'go to mt fuckoff' quest is the big finale so likely I'll get spat out soon.)

This is fun so far, it feels very D&D-y and I dig that they already are busting out some slightly deep cut monsters like Sahuagin along with the typical giant rats and spiders.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Last night my group played one of the adventure packs narrated by the late Gary Gygax (Delera's Tomb), and it was everything I'd dreamed it would be.

Worth every penny they paid that man, let me tell you.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

WhiteHowler posted:

Last night my group played one of the adventure packs narrated by the late Gary Gygax (Delera's Tomb), and it was everything I'd dreamed it would be.

Worth every penny they paid that man, let me tell you.

Yea, the Threnal Expedition is pretty similar narration by the late Dave Arneson (Gary's cocreator) if thats up your alley

e:

Preview server is up for the next expansion! Notes are here:
https://forums.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/531851-U55-Preview-1-(5-10-5-12)
https://forums.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/531852-U55-Preview-1-Itemization

Lorem ipsum fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 10, 2022

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Sharn also has some stuff narrated by Keith Baker.

Interested in how the level cap increase works but that not on the preview threads yet afaict? Not super thrilled to have a whole new level of gear right when I was starting to get enough of the old stuff, especially given how dire the inventory situation is

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

quote:

We are going to save your legendary XP total on your character through Epic, True, or Racial Reincarnation. This means that once you take level 30 on subsequent lives, you'll have the XP needed to level directly to whatever legendary level you were before. This means that if you leave the level cap via, say, an ETR, you'll just need to get back to 30 in order to be able to get back to 32, with no further XP needed.

We are also considering doing this for epic experience down the line. It would mean that Reincarnating mid-epic life would let you get back to where you were in epics without retreading old ground. Of course, an ETR would still burn that XP (since it wants to send you back to 20) but it'd make bailing mid-epics much more forgiving since you're no longer wasting XP.

Interesting, seems like this shoule solve my other possible gripe with the level cap increase. I wonder if splitting up epic and true reincarnation would be better if they make the change to epics

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
I still wish they had come up with a way to turn first time bonuses back on after an ER but at least the new system (if implemented) would let you bank all your sagas, ER, take all the sagas, then TR - effectively putting you somewhere around level 21 or 22 when you get back to epics.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
I already have a LOTRO account, so my email is already registered with Standing Stone Games, but I can't create a DDO account because it says my email is already in use. However, when I try and use my account info to log in to DDO, it says "no DDO subscription found." Anyone else encounter this problem?

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

Panama Red posted:

I already have a LOTRO account, so my email is already registered with Standing Stone Games, but I can't create a DDO account because it says my email is already in use. However, when I try and use my account info to log in to DDO, it says "no DDO subscription found." Anyone else encounter this problem?

I had the opposite problem where I couldn't make a LotRO account because I already had a DDO one. It is very dumb. I think you have to contact support and have them send you a key or just use a brand new email and make a second account.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
Yea exactly that, mind blowing but its a manual process for them to let you play both games on the same account.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I should have not ignored Storm Horn because of the atrocious layout. That last quest was rad

also they forgot to renew the domain name so ddo.com is up for grabs I guess lol

Robo Reagan fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jun 16, 2022

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct

Lorem ipsum posted:

Yea exactly that, mind blowing but its a manual process for them to let you play both games on the same account.

Thanks. I made a secondary email account. Yes, it is bizarre they wouldn't make it possible for one account to play both games, especially given LOTRO's good reputation.

Looking to make a dwarf barbarian based on the links in the OP

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Robo Reagan posted:

I should have not ignored Storm Horn because of the atrocious layout. That last quest was rad

also they forgot to renew the domain name so ddo.com is up for grabs I guess lol

What goes up is an iconic quest and has some of the best music/vo in the game. Love that quest.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Out of curiosity, how much plat do you guys have? I just hit a mil after I think three or four reincarnations? Lost count since I stopped playing for awhile. Not sure if there's really anything for me to spend all this gold on besides my utility stuff like scrolls and potions from vendors

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I'm at the point where I'm mostly struggling to figure out how to stop being plat capped

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
I'm plat capped on like 4 characters. There basically isn't much for you to do with plat outside of buying reaper wings or other niche stuff. The problem is basically the cap is so low that they can't add meaningful plat sinks. Its a technical limitation that honestly doesn't seem to hard to workaround but I guess its not really a priority.

ZionestLord
Jan 9, 2010
Does anyone here play on thelanis?

srb
Jul 24, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

I'm at the point where I'm mostly struggling to figure out how to stop being plat capped

I just buy expensive stuff on the AH if I need to get rid of plat, let it be someone else's problem!

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

ZionestLord posted:

Does anyone here play on thelanis?

Nope, but join us when hardcore starts up in maybe a month or so!

So, the isle of dread is here! Dinosaurs! Level cap increase! Here are my thoughts:

- Most of the isle of dread quests are really fun and some have interesting mechanics like a challenge mode. There is actually a reason to loot every chest in the xpac
- Visually, the expansion looks great - Quests look good, monsters look good, gear looks awesome. Dinosaurs have unique and appropriate animations.
- I'm a little undecided about the gear. Not totally sure yet how it fits into the meta since I haven't really internalized the items. Also, each item has a fair bit of grind attached to it in order to interact with the crafting.
- Level cap increase I think was more or less done in a good way. I think it sets a good precedent for gradual increases in the cap in the future and still keeps most of the current gear and endgame quests relevant.
- Trex bones suck to get the only good way to get them is to farm saga completions

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

trying to get some last stuff finished off before reincarnating and man working US nights means it sucks to find raid groups

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Also does anyone know of a convenient way to track stored gear or am I going to have to just make a Google doc or something? Getting to the point that across four different mules I've lost track of who has what

A surfing dog?!
Apr 23, 2006

I dunno how convenient this is because I've been too lazy to try it out, but I saw this

https://forums.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/514638-The-Hoarder-Desktop-Utility

I just started using mules for specific things like Level 1-10 Melee, 1-10 Caster, 11-20 Melee/Caster, Epic Melee/Caster, and one for consumables I'll never use

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
I use Trove: https://dungeonhelper.com/plugins

Basically, you need to launch the game using plugins these guys made and it tracks all the items each character has and gives you a searchbar. The tool isn't explicitly against the TOS and I didn't see anything crazy in the code but this is definitely a buyer beware situation.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
On a nostalgia kick and fiddling around with this. IGN is Gearchewer, would appreciate an invite to the guild!

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Done.

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

This spell rocks. It'll pop you right out of that funk.
HCL 6 rewards look sick.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Suzera posted:

HCL 6 rewards look sick.

Ok so we are more than a week into hardcore 6 and honestly its been great. The lag is fairly minimal, the hound mechanic is really scary, and the rewards are all super cool. My only problem is that level 20+ grouping is rough, only a couple people even alive! One group just finished getting the reaper rewards today which is neat.

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.
My casual rear end finally hit 20 for the first time. I've been to the Fatespinner to unlock all the destinies, are there any other things I should make sure to do? Both in the "do this when starting out" sense and "do this at some point before reincarnating", I guess.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Max Peck posted:

My casual rear end finally hit 20 for the first time. I've been to the Fatespinner to unlock all the destinies, are there any other things I should make sure to do? Both in the "do this when starting out" sense and "do this at some point before reincarnating", I guess.

Congrats!

There are some many things to tell you, I likely won't remember most of them. The main things are:

1) Keep on the borderlands is a good source of level 21 gear and it lets you craft level 20 weapons pretty easily. All of this is a huge jump up from heroics.
2) Make sure you put points in epic destiny stuff. If you don't know what to put points in, I would generally recommend taking 1 mantle, 1 epic strike, and 1 heal (renewal in unyielding sentinel is the best heal)
3) If you are melee, make sure you toggle on "epic defensive fighting" at level 21. It is under "epic feats". Also this feat is getting deleted in the next update.
4) For quests, i'd recommend doing VoN 1-4, then doing the entire menace of the underdark story (if you have it) https://ddowiki.com/page/Menace_of_the_Underdark_(story_arc). If you run these quests plus the druid's chain, high road, wheloon, and stormhorns you will both have a good time and end up around level 27 or 28 after taking the 6(?) saga rewards in eveningstar. Then you basically just jump into legendary content until cap.

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

Lorem ipsum posted:

2) Make sure you put points in epic destiny stuff. If you don't know what to put points in, I would generally recommend taking 1 mantle, 1 epic strike, and 1 heal (renewal in unyielding sentinel is the best heal)

... Does Shadowdancer Sleight of Hand and a stack of Heal scrolls count as a heal? :v:

Relatedly, is there a better way to deal with held consumables like scrolls, or do I just have to get in the habit of double tapping the button and then my weapon again?

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Max Peck posted:

... Does Shadowdancer Sleight of Hand and a stack of Heal scrolls count as a heal? :v:

Relatedly, is there a better way to deal with held consumables like scrolls, or do I just have to get in the habit of double tapping the button and then my weapon again?

I wouldn't suggest using scrolls in epics - just suck it up and take renewal or cocoon. And no, there is no better way.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
So uh 2 pieces of news:

-You have until Sat to transfer off HC6
-They just announced that HC7 starts next week (wtf?) https://www.ddo.com/news/ddo-hardcore-league

PMB
Oct 30, 2002

Moist and Delicious

Lorem ipsum posted:

So uh 2 pieces of news:

-You have until Sat to transfer off HC6
-They just announced that HC7 starts next week (wtf?) https://www.ddo.com/news/ddo-hardcore-league

I think this is an incredibly dumb move on the part of SSG. No advance notice or anything. Players usually arrange groups for hardcore and that's going to be a major pita with the holidays and sod all notice.
I get that the hardcore season that just ended most likely made them much needed $$, but if there's going to be a perpetual HC season then the existing servers for none-hc play are hosed. ITYOOL 2022 you'd think they could work out how to publish a calendar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

PMB posted:

I think this is an incredibly dumb move on the part of SSG. No advance notice or anything. Players usually arrange groups for hardcore and that's going to be a major pita with the holidays and sod all notice.
I get that the hardcore season that just ended most likely made them much needed $$, but if there's going to be a perpetual HC season then the existing servers for none-hc play are hosed. ITYOOL 2022 you'd think they could work out how to publish a calendar.

I mean I guess its good that I already have the rewards but yea its really dumb, they could have just delayed it until the new year.

I'll likely just chill and maybe do a challenge run or two and mostly skip this one.