Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik
Oh, woot, the LotRO free poo poo promotion is now also up for DDO until the end of the year.

:siren: All adventure packs for free, forever, with the redeem code DDOQUESTS2021. :siren:

:siren: Ravenloft, Shadowfell and MotU only cost 99 DDO points each :siren:

For measure, a list of all the free stuff. This basically makes it viable to play without the monthly subscription, that's great!

Ihki fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

Ihki posted:

Oh, woot, the LotRO free poo poo promotion is now also up for DDO until the end of the year.

:siren: All adventure packs for free, forever, with the redeem code DDOQUESTS2021. :siren:

For measure, a list of all the free stuff. This basically makes it viable to play without the monthly subscription, that's great!

Ok, what do we want for a thread title now

Lorem ipsum fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 15, 2021

Aster0ids
Oct 13, 2018
Funny i decided to give this a try yesterday, and bam all quests unlocked today. Was meant to be!

Invite me whenever, im going in almost totally blind beside im following the barb template from the link a couple of posts up here.

Name: Dolvare Daim

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Aster0ids posted:

Funny i decided to give this a try yesterday, and bam all quests unlocked today. Was meant to be!

Invite me whenever, im going in almost totally blind beside im following the barb template from the link a couple of posts up here.

Name: Dolvare Daim

Yea, the barb build is great have fun smashing! In addition to all the free quests stuff, night revels just started again! The rewards are super worth it and its good XP too. This year, a +2 festive constitution augment was added. See yet another strimtom video for a guide to the event: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkhOelpvBlc

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Lorem ipsum posted:

Ok, what do we want for a thread title now

Good title! Now I have to think about Dwarfs after yesterday’s conversation and if I want to stick my toes back in with Endwalker around the corner.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Hy_C posted:

Good title! Now I have to think about Dwarfs after yesterday’s conversation and if I want to stick my toes back in with Endwalker around the corner.

Ok, so we were talking about dwarven paladin. You really wanted to use that dwarven waraxe for the hand and a half attribute - which is something that gives strikethough. You are basically into single weapon fighting (empty offhand - this is the new hotness) or vanguard (hitting people really hard with automatic shield attacks). You also have the option of going charisma or strength based - strength will give you more damage overall (dwarves have bad charisma) but charisma will give you more powerful paladin abilities (and require you to have the feydark universal tree).

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Lorem ipsum posted:

Ok, so we were talking about dwarven paladin. You really wanted to use that dwarven waraxe for the hand and a half attribute - which is something that gives strikethough. You are basically into single weapon fighting (empty offhand - this is the new hotness) or vanguard (hitting people really hard with automatic shield attacks). You also have the option of going charisma or strength based - strength will give you more damage overall (dwarves have bad charisma) but charisma will give you more powerful paladin abilities (and require you to have the feydark universal tree).

Curious, why an empty off-hand and why is this the new hotness?

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Hy_C posted:

Curious, why an empty off-hand and why is this the new hotness?

They added a weapon focus line for "single handed fighting" and also the "offhand versatility" feat which is very strong https://ddowiki.com/page/Offhand_Versatility. Not only do these feats make SWF somewhat competitive with two weapon fighting, but a lot of attacks (cleave, smite, ect) only use the stats for your primary weapon which makes this line very good if you use a lot of abilities.

Seizon
Oct 10, 2011

Ihki posted:

Hey, thanks for all the advice everyone, it's really helpful. All that + this news has definitely brightened up my week

Also, when I run elites nearly everything will drop for levels 3-4+ above where I'm at, which makes gearing feel really awkward, is this just how it is?

Seizon fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Oct 15, 2021

Aster0ids
Oct 13, 2018
I could use some pointers as well, though ill be asking in guild.

Basically, can i just explore the map, is it sort of open world? Or more linear like a tunnel with "stations" as you climb the levels and when you reach the "stations" you can branch out and do the quest packs i just unlocked yesterday (yay)? I read that you could skip content where you get stuck (i swore a bit last nite at some puzzle in the starting exploratory zone but finally made it haha).

I was pleasantly surprised by the music, it doesnt take long usually for me to turn the music off in games and play some dark ambient in the background for post-apoc/fantasy games and DDOs music was pretty good, was eager to see what else would be playing in new content.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Seizon posted:

Hey, thanks for all the advice everyone, it's really helpful. All that + this news has definitely brightened up my week

Also, when I run elites nearly everything will drop for levels 3-4+ above where I'm at, which makes gearing feel really awkward, is this just how it is?

Most people are running quests 2-3 levels above the base level of the quest which makes the loot make a little more sense. So if the quest it level 5 on normal, elite is level 7 and most people are running elite at level 7 or 8.

Aster0ids posted:

I could use some pointers as well, though ill be asking in guild.

Basically, can i just explore the map, is it sort of open world? Or more linear like a tunnel with "stations" as you climb the levels and when you reach the "stations" you can branch out and do the quest packs i just unlocked yesterday (yay)? I read that you could skip content where you get stuck (i swore a bit last nite at some puzzle in the starting exploratory zone but finally made it haha).

I was pleasantly surprised by the music, it doesnt take long usually for me to turn the music off in games and play some dark ambient in the background for post-apoc/fantasy games and DDOs music was pretty good, was eager to see what else would be playing in new content.

Basically, there are a lot of different areas and each area usually has quests for a bunch of different levels. Quest chains are usually all in the same place. Basically, there are a lot more quests in the game for what you need to level and the game doesn't really force or suggest you do any specific quest so you could basically be running to a different zone for every quest of the same level if you wanted to. Its both a good and a bad thing - there isn't a lot of direction for new players.

Ghosts!
Jan 6, 2004

Seizon posted:

Yeah, it is a bit strange admittedly. Most people use either named loot that drops with a specific level required, or sometimes use Cannith crafting to create an item with the specific stats they need. Crafting isn't really an option when you are starting out, but is a decent longer term goal. Randomly generated gear is great if you can loot it, or you can try to find stuff on the auction house. Another place that you might try are the item brokers in the marketplace (or try House Deneith for a weapon broker, and House Kundarak has an armor broker as well). Brokers will sell you items that other players have sold to them, so you can sometimes find interesting things that players have unloaded onto them. They get wiped under certain circumstances, so they may not always have items to sell.

Aster0ids posted:

The game is more of a hub system with towns with no combat and quest givers and quest entrances. There are some wilderness areas as well that have quest entrances and monsters roaming about that you can explore and kill stuff in. You can skip any content you like especially since all non-expansion content is available to you, although sometimes there are quest chains that you have to complete to unlock a later quest. If you look at your adventure compendium, you can sort quests by level and that shows what quests are available in your level range.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Lorem ipsum posted:

Most people are running quests 2-3 levels above the base level of the quest which makes the loot make a little more sense. So if the quest it level 5 on normal, elite is level 7 and most people are running elite at level 7 or 8.

This seems like you'd waste a lot of time doing this unless you have premium, is that right?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Or once you've reincarnated. Chaining elites makes a lot more sense with the extra experience needed for reincarnation. And 1st reincarnation = skip to hard, 2nd = skip to elite. Bright side is you just need someone in your group who has access even if you don't. Can help make it more challenging for a first life non-VIP.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

30.5 Days posted:

This seems like you'd waste a lot of time doing this unless you have premium, is that right?

As opposed to doing what? I'm not sure I follow. If you are suggesting running quests 4 levels over, you are losing the bravery XP bonus doing so. If you are suggesting running the quests underlevelled, they are quite a bit easier if you run them overlevelled so you get them done a lot faster.

e: Oh! I understand - I always forget that first life characters can only open on normal. Yea, i'd suggest making groups and ask for an "opener"

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Hy_C posted:

So, I couldn't stop thinking about it and heres the first pass: https://pastebin.com/raw/266PSHia

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a holder for commendations? These things are filling up my inventory

e:Oh they stack lol

is it me or do I really need to not waste a spell slot/inventory space on waterbreathing and slow fall stuff? I've dropped off cliffs and lost a sliver and got frustrated with a quest, was going to drown myself because I was getting shot and couldn't recall, parked myself underwater to die, and came back after the bathroom to like 1/4 of my health missing

Robo Reagan fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Oct 16, 2021

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

I have come back to this game after playing it a little last year and, being a complete whale, I can make new persons up to level 15.

Is it worth it? I have ground from 1-8 already so I have seen a lot of the starter zones but I did it on another server and now I want to play with gunes.
So tell me what to do.

Also, I can spend 18 hours solid doing nothing but making and deleting different builds and characters in this game.

PMB
Oct 30, 2002

Moist and Delicious
Will give this a go. Going with a warforged wizard for now.,
Send an invite to Mesmerin Koll please.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Robo Reagan posted:

Is there a holder for commendations? These things are filling up my inventory

e:Oh they stack lol

is it me or do I really need to not waste a spell slot/inventory space on waterbreathing and slow fall stuff? I've dropped off cliffs and lost a sliver and got frustrated with a quest, was going to drown myself because I was getting shot and couldn't recall, parked myself underwater to die, and came back after the bathroom to like 1/4 of my health missing

Commendations stack, but you have to hit gather on your bag for them to be collected because there is a bug that causes them to not be autocollected right now. Its very annoying.

As far as waterbreathing goes, there are really only a handful of quests in that game that require it: necro 2, titan raid, the crucible, another man's treasure, fathom the depths, against the demon queen, that one quest in the druid chain in eveningstar. But hey, when you need it, you need it. Also, keep in mind your swim skill effects how long you can hold your breath so someone with no investment in swim in heavy armour with a tower shield will drown a lot faster. Personally, I have a "bottle of air" and I just keep it in my inventory, but you could just keep that or some cannith crafted googles with underwater action on them in your bank.

You need featherfalling. Falling damage is bounded (150 hp max), but a lot of jumping puzzles are nearly impossible without featherfalling and a lot of quests get cheesed with featherfalling.

Burt posted:

I have come back to this game after playing it a little last year and, being a complete whale, I can make new persons up to level 15.

Is it worth it? I have ground from 1-8 already so I have seen a lot of the starter zones but I did it on another server and now I want to play with gunes.
So tell me what to do.

Also, I can spend 18 hours solid doing nothing but making and deleting different builds and characters in this game.

I have characters at every level if you want someone to play with, it does not matter. Just ask in guild chat. The only content I really don't enjoy is the level 1 korthos island stuff, but there is now an alternate level 1 zone so it truly doesn't matter. I deleted so many characters when I first started playing its very fun. The best thing is the game keeps getting more complicated build-wise as you work though the game.

PMB posted:

Will give this a go. Going with a warforged wizard for now.,
Send an invite to Mesmerin Koll please.

Check your mailbox!

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

So I played DDO right around its launch and then dropped it. I was thinking of checking it out again, and use that free adventures coupon, but have run into an account issue. I downloaded and installed the game but when I try to log in I get and error message say "No subscription for DDO found". Is there a CD key or something I need to get?

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

MH Knights posted:

So I played DDO right around its launch and then dropped it. I was thinking of checking it out again, and use that free adventures coupon, but have run into an account issue. I downloaded and installed the game but when I try to log in I get and error message say "No subscription for DDO found". Is there a CD key or something I need to get?

Weirdly, they have a support page for that question: https://help.standingstonegames.com...to-LOTRO-found-

Sounds like you have an old account that you used to play ddo on and can't log into? I suspect your account is locked or something - if you log into the website it should give you a better error.

If you are trying to use an account that was created for lotro: don't.

Aster0ids
Oct 13, 2018
Im trying to get the 3 X 99 DDO point content. I was going to buy some pts but cant buy on steam so id have to buy a card just for game and...

To cut it short i read online that you just needed to do 3 quests on a new char, get 50 DDO pts and then delete, rinse repeat. I thought oh heres a way to grab em quickly. But i did 4 quests now on my new char and im not getting a mail about gaining 50 pts. Did they discontinue making pts on alt or what am i not getting?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You get points based on reaching certain milestones with favor so it's probably 3 specific quests or something that was changed

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
Yea, basically you need to get 50 favor. Quests give varying amounts of favor. I just did a 50 favor run today on a fresh account: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFgV6WGENXU - it took me an hour. I think you can do it in less time, but here is my route:

Storehouse secret N/H -> Information is key N/H -> Dirk's got a secret N/H -> Garrison's missing pack N/H -> Bringing the light N/H -> Sunken sewer N/H/E -> Garrison's missing pack E -> Information is key E

Press "P" and there is a bar for total favor at the bottom of one of the tabs, you just have to get that to 50 on 3 different servers

Aster0ids
Oct 13, 2018
Yeah the part where i was messing up is these chars need to be on a new server each time to reset the favor starting bonus.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Should I get the Quiver of Alacrity or Litany? I can't raid with others because of timezone so I basically have to pick based on how doabl a solo run of the raids are

eh, gently caress it. I went with the quiver. I'm more interested in TRing than I am grinding endgame so this'll be a lot more useful. Now to farm a seal

Robo Reagan fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Oct 17, 2021

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
Ok, i'm finishing up my sorcerer past lives and below is the ice sorcerer build I settled on. Sharing it because it was a fun experience that decimated everything and i've saw a lot of struggling sorcerers on the way. Fire/lightning sorceror is and likely will always be king, but ice was more fun than I expected. Basically, ice spells are spaced out in a very satisfying way where you get a sightly smoother power increase over a fire sorcerer so your damage is a bit more consistent though the levelling process. The biggest downside is that you don't have a good damaging AOE cold spell in epics. I usually use burst of glacial wrath and iceburg in epics which does a fine job, but an alchemist or fire sorcerer will kick your butt.

Consumables
Potions
Cure Serious Wounds
Lesser Restoration
Remove Curse
Remove Disease
Poison Neutralization
Haste
Essence of Seduction
Essence of Cunning

Scrolls
Heal
Reconstruct (for friends)
Raise Dead -> Resurrect
Lesser Globe of Invuln

Level 1
Feat: Maximize
Spells: Nightshield, Jump
Enhancements: Water Savant I -> Cold Ray x3
Essential Gear: Scepter of Corrosion, Scepter of Glaciation (Borderlands), Speed + Featherfall boots
Suggested Gear: Defensive Wrists, Bulwurk Helm, Ring of Spellcasting, Necklace of contemplation, hearty belt
Notes: Grab a 2hander and the barbarian hire until you get cold ray to a reasonable level

Level 2
Enhancements: Acid Spray x3
Suggested Gear: Kwan's Band, 25% fortification item

Level 3
Feat: Quicken
Enhancements: Start putting points into eldritch knight until you get "Armored Arcana" and "Subtle Force 1". You want the following: Toughness x3, Improved Shield x3, Wand and Scroll x3, Charisma
Essential Gear: Anchorchain, Nicked Orb, Bottle of Smoke

Level 4
Suggested Gear: Indominable Wrappings (Level 4), Cloak of the Mimic (Level 4)

Level 5
Essential Gear: Robe of the Autumn Winds (Swap to The Leaf Mail when you get Armored Arcana), Green Dragonscale Bracers, Ring of Winter's Chill, Thorn Boots, Cloak of Winter, Amber Pendant, +4 charisma helmet (craft or buy), Voice of the Master (swap item).
Notes: You want the feywild +1 to DC set bonus. You can get the full 7-piece bonus if you don't have a useful ring by using the rockslide ring.

Level 6
Feat: Spell focus: Evocation

Level 9
Feat: Greater Spell focus: Evocation
Enhancements: Put points into water savant - you want Hoarfrost, Critical chance, Efficient Maximize, and Efficient Quicken
Essential Gear: Reaver's Ring with 100% fortification augment. Another source of fort is OK too.

Level 10
Essential Gear: Gauntlets of Innate Arcanum, Barovian's Scepter

Level 12
Feat: Mental Toughness (I run out of SP a lot)

Level 15
Feat: Heighten
Essential Gear: Creeping Dust Conduit, Esoteric Initiate Set, Pansophic Circlet, Planar Compass, Goggles with +2 UMD, +2 Insightful Evocation

Level 20
Enhancements: Take Elemental Apothesis: Water, and make sure it always stays on
Epic Destiny Stuff: If you are new to epic levels, you want to be in Magister and take all the nodes that give evocation DCs. Also take as much charisma as possible.
Essential Gear: Belt of Crystalline Vanity, Bracers of the Eagle, Epic Scepter of Glaciation

Epic feats: Wellspring of Power, Burst of Glacial Wrath, Epic Spell Power: Cold, Embolden Spell, Toughness, Deific Warding, Scion of the Plane of Water

Level 30
Gearing: 7 Piece Autumn Set, Bound Elemental Ring of Frost, Morning Lord's Scepter, Cladding of Dead Leaves, The Heart of the Prince, Gloryborne Gloves - These are all items I use but I don't have an optimized gearset for you.

All spells, in order of taking them
L1: Nightshield, Jump, Expedious Retreat, Niac's Cold Ray
L2: Snowball Swarm, Knock, Web, Invis
L3: Acid Blast, Displacement, Haste, Rage
L4: Dimension Door, Fire Shield, Remove Curse, Repair Critical
L5: Cone of Cold, Teleport, Cyclonic Blast
L6: Otiluke's Freezing Sphere, Greater Dispel Magic, Greater Heroism
L7: Otto's Sphere of Dancing, Prismatic Spray, Greater Teleport
L8: Polar Ray, Otto's Irresistable Dance (panic button!), Sunburst (Kill forgewraiths)
L9: Acid Well, Iceberg, Hold Monster-Mass

Lorem ipsum fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Oct 17, 2021

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
I kept an ice sorc as a raiding alt a year or two ago and it was fun. The ED spells are usually enough AoE but because my sorc was an alt and less geared/past lives etc, the no save on polar ray was hugely helpful. Especially for running Sharn where reflex saves are through the roof.

Aster0ids
Oct 13, 2018
So after a couple of days im in a good position to enjoy this game. All the quests packs, plus grabbed 3 expansion packs yesterday doing alts. From my understanding, i dont really need anything else besides epic destinies. Im wondering if theres a good way for me to just accumulate DDO points without thinking too much about it.

For now im just doing every quest at least once when i arrive in a zone, putting all the markers blue. Will that be enough to unlock EDs when ill get to 20 or i should run some elites like waterworks a couple of times, or?

Perpetual Notion
Nov 17, 2004

Aster0ids posted:

So after a couple of days im in a good position to enjoy this game. All the quests packs, plus grabbed 3 expansion packs yesterday doing alts. From my understanding, i dont really need anything else besides epic destinies. Im wondering if theres a good way for me to just accumulate DDO points without thinking too much about it.

For now im just doing every quest at least once when i arrive in a zone, putting all the markers blue. Will that be enough to unlock EDs when ill get to 20 or i should run some elites like waterworks a couple of times, or?

Favor works as an absolute, with elite being the most available from said quest. Kind of a one and done system, but if you do ALL the quests the current favor cap is 7,184, you get 25 DDO points per 100 favor and also the first time you reach certain milestones on an account on a server (meaning you can go to another server and grind out said favor for the first time bonuses all over again). These milestones are 5, 25, 50, 500, 1000, 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000, 6000. If i remember right the milestone first times are a fair amount larger than the typical 25 per 100.

The game honestly has the best premium currency price/rate of premium currency earned ratio of any game I've played, literally just levelling from 1-30 gets you a fairly decent chunk of currency and if you make a concentrated effort to max out the favor each life you walk away with about 1700 DDO points a life, combined with the constant sales on premium items its a pretty friendly setup.

Orv
May 4, 2011
This is a really broad question but is there a decent "What on earth to do in the ninety systems they've stapled to this game in the intervening decade" guide out there? I'm basically starting from scratch and the vibe I'm getting is it's very much turned into a sort of pseudo-ARPG style game where the two game end points are raiding and running content again and again to do stuff with builds, so any kind of first steps guide or anything would be great.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Orv posted:

This is a really broad question but is there a decent "What on earth to do in the ninety systems they've stapled to this game in the intervening decade" guide out there? I'm basically starting from scratch and the vibe I'm getting is it's very much turned into a sort of pseudo-ARPG style game where the two game end points are raiding and running content again and again to do stuff with builds, so any kind of first steps guide or anything would be great.

Yea, there is a some random stuff (still nowhere near as much as something like PoE). I can just throw a list of stuff at you below and you can ask questions about it I guess.

Limited-time events
Challenges
Reaper Mode
Raids + Raid Loot
Reincarnation
Epic Destinies
Cosmetics
Favor & Favor Rewards
Crafting
Epic Crafting
Weird Items
XP - Sagas/Bravery/Dailies
Hardcore
Champions

Orv
May 4, 2011
Reincarnation, Epic Destinies and Champions are the ones I had briefly heard about when looking around, if you wouldn't mind a tiny rundown on those.

I think my main confusion is that it seems like almost everything in the game, besides like favor and maybe destinies(?) is per character rather than account wide and I'm more used to like, "You should do X Y Z as a new player to boost/improve your account stuff" so if that's totally off-base I can just make a character and go and look into things as I hit them.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Orv posted:

Reincarnation, Epic Destinies and Champions are the ones I had briefly heard about when looking around, if you wouldn't mind a tiny rundown on those.

I think my main confusion is that it seems like almost everything in the game, besides like favor and maybe destinies(?) is per character rather than account wide and I'm more used to like, "You should do X Y Z as a new player to boost/improve your account stuff" so if that's totally off-base I can just make a character and go and look into things as I hit them.

Yea, almost nothing is linked to your account aside from DDO points. Each character is basically entirely firewalled so you could pretend to be a different person on each character if you wanted. This is part of DDO being 15 years old. Destinies are, unfortunately, per character not per account.

Generally, if you want to improve your overall power the following things are important (in order):

Gear (Sharn > Feywild > Ravenloft)
Consumables (potions+scrolls)
Unlocking universal enhancement trees/epic destinies
Tomes
Reaper points
Past lives

Champions are pretty simple, they are just special buffs that monster can have. Elite difficulty is the first place you encounter champs, and champs are more frequent the higher the difficulty. Champions drop remnants which you can turn in large quantities of for good, unique rewards. The remnant tomes and eternal potion of freedom of movement are really good. Knowing how the different champs work is important to doing high reapers: https://ddowiki.com/page/Monster_Champion

Epic Destinies are getting entirely revamped in a month with U51 so i'm not going to explain that much of it. Basically, its the endgame perk system (levels 20-30). The U51 changes are going to DRASTICALLY improve the new player experience and make the system way more interesting at the same time. For the current system, here is the mapping:

Melee: Fatesinger or Fury of the Wild. Twist: Martial Hymn, Meld into darkness, Energy Sheath: Electric, Rejuvenation Cocoon
Ranged: Shiradi Champion. Twist: Martial Hymn, Meld into darkness, Energy Sheath: Electric, Rejuvenation Cocoon
Tank: Unyielding Sentinel. Twist: Meld into darkness, Energy Sheath: Electric
Healer: Unyielding Sentinel or Exalted Angel. Twist: Renewel, Meld into darkness, Energy Sheath: Electric, Consecration
Caster: Magister or Draconic. Exalted Angel for solo. Twist: Arcane Hymn, Meld into darkness, Energy Sheath: Electric, Rejuvenation Cocoon

For now, basically just choose a destiny, level it, and stick with it until U51 hits. You can branch out to get twists if you want, but I wouldn't bother since time is short. You talk to the Fatespinner in the marketplace to interact with the system.

Reincarnation has a lot to it, but basically there are a couple kinds of past lives. You interact with this system by going to the reincarnation grove in the hall of heroes and spending a heart of wood. You are spending levels in exchange for a small, stacking bonus.

Epic: "Epic Heart of Wood". This reincarnation makes you go from 30->20. It requires 6 million karma in a epic destiny sphere (not related to the level of your epic destinies, these are just jars that full depending on which ED you are in when you are getting XP. NOTE: this dumb system is going away with U51 and there will no longer be a karma requirement for epic reincarnation). These past lives are very strong. You get the active toggle components for free and you can have up to 4 of the actives turned on at once (one per sphere) starting at level 1.
Iconic: "Iconic True Heart of Wood". This reincarnation is also very strong. It also is fairly efficient since it gives you both a Heroic(class) life as well as an iconic life. You must already be an iconic hero and level 30. There is no karma requirement. You go from level 30 back to level 1. The iconic stances are very strong and you get them for free.
Class: "Heroic True Heart of Wood". This reincarnation makes you go back to level 1 and gives you a class past life. There is an active and passive component to these past lives. Each one of these lives stacks up to 3 times. To get the active component, you need to take the active component as a feat, thus they are mostly unused. The wizard past life active feat and the completionist feat (which you get for getting all of the class past lives x3) are both worth taking. The individual lives here are a lot stronger than racial lives, but the completion bonus is weaker since you have to take it as a feat.
Racial: "Heroic True Heart of Blood". This reincarnation makes you go back to level 1 and gives you a racial past life. The racial past lives are fairly weak and stack up to 3 times. The completion bonus is the same as the heroic one, but is passive making it very good. The racial AP you get from this is also eventually strong for many builds.

The general suggestion is to do iconic lives first since you basically get the most power per life. I, personally, didn't do that. I don't really have a plan and I just play what I think will be fun.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Awesome, thanks that's all great to know. I can probably just go ahead and slam my face into things and figure them out then.

Aster0ids
Oct 13, 2018
Thanks for the good feedback, useful to new players.

If i can again, im wondering how to get to ravenloft? I read on a forum you need to go to house joresco which is (i think) in khorvaire, a city in an expansion i dont have. I know im messin up somewhere but i dont know where, info online is kind of confusing and scare starting out. Id make it my first goal, slowly make my way there so im near it when i hit level 10 which is what i think the level for ravenloft is.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Aster0ids posted:

Thanks for the good feedback, useful to new players.

If i can again, im wondering how to get to ravenloft? I read on a forum you need to go to house joresco which is (i think) in khorvaire, a city in an expansion i dont have. I know im messin up somewhere but i dont know where, info online is kind of confusing and scare starting out. Id make it my first goal, slowly make my way there so im near it when i hit level 10 which is what i think the level for ravenloft is.

Yea, level 10 is correct. All of the "Houses" connect to the marketplace so you can just go to the marketplace and look for "house joresco". You can also go to the teleporter in the marketplace and that has a house J destination. Finally, the airship captain can send you there too. Look for the bright green dots on the map which are basically zone changes.

e: Also! If you are really looking forward to ravenloft, you might consider running to each quest via the wilderness the first time you do it instead of taking the teleporter. The ravenloft wilderness is pretty cool

Lorem ipsum fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 18, 2021

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Hello I think I'm gonna actually stick with this, so my name is Voxtec and I would like to join the guild.

EDIT: Also my bags are filling up with a million gold-bordered currency-items that can't be vended, I have basically no bank space to throw them into, so I think I'm just gonna drop them on the ground, am I making a terrible mistake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

30.5 Days posted:

Hello I think I'm gonna actually stick with this, so my name is Voxtec and I would like to join the guild.

EDIT: Also my bags are filling up with a million gold-bordered currency-items that can't be vended, I have basically no bank space to throw them into, so I think I'm just gonna drop them on the ground, am I making a terrible mistake?

You are likely going to want a collectables bag. Collectables are for cannith crafting and trading for some augments. I've bought special crafting space in my shared bank that holds an almost infinite amount of that stuff, but without that i'd likely be trashing most of it.