Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007
I've always wanted to try this game out. If I muddle my way through with my own build for the first time how screwed will I be? Will I be able to reincarnate and fix everything once I get a handle on what I'm doing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

Lorem ipsum posted:

So the difficulty of the quests is scalable. Honestly - even if your build is horrible almost anything can muddle though on normal as long as you are still having fun. If you aren't having fun thats a different story and we can workshop it a bit but you should be fine to try it.

e: And yes - when you reincarnate you start totally from scratch. There are also a few incremental ways to respec without reincarnation.

Thanks! I'm in as Avolem. I just went through the tutorial dungeon; the game seems neat so far, I like that it has voiceovers for the DM.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007
I bounced off this game immediately in 2017, I think because I saw it had action bar combat and the graphics were janky. Now I find the graphics kind of charming, and it's definitely not typical button-mashy action bar combat. The fact that enemies don't give you loot/exp (apparently) and the fact that you don't regenerate hp/mana except at designated waypoints gives a very different flavor to combat and resource management.

I did another couple of dungeons in the starter village. I love that the final boss of one of them was a tile puzzle. I also learned how to prepare spells and spend action points. Holy cow I wasn't expecting that level of character customization, it looks like I have 8 or so talent trees to choose from, plus a bunch of choices within each tree. Also I've been given a few actually interesting loot choices already, at level 1. Really glad I decided to give the game another try.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007
I went ahead and got a 1 month sub since the dungeons were too easy on normal. I hit level 2, finished the Korthos Island story arc (although I need to go back and do a couple optional quests I missed), and accepted my guild invite. Game is still fun! My main goal now is to find a warhammer since I picked that as my favored weapon when I was making my cleric.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

Lorem ipsum posted:

You could try heading to keep on the borderlands. There is a special guy there that you can trade in ingots to (a drop in the dungeon) for most kinds of weapons. I like the quests also!

Thanks! Now I have a +1 warhammer that can hit ghosts.