Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Does anyone know what weapons Byron Scoutsword uses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

This game has a broad spectrum of difficulty but it gives you some agency by allowing you to select the difficulty for each quest. I've played mostly hardcore starting with hardcore season 1 but am picking up softcore again because my son is playing with me. He's playing a fighter and I'm playing a rogue and my plan will be to stack healer hirelings eventually.

The major consideration for solo is having some ability to get around traps because in general the only rogue hirelings are from the gold shop. Generally people will splash 2 levels of rogue (for evasion) or 2 levels of artificer (for rune arm) to trap, but in theory you could unlock disable device with just 1 level of rogue or artificer.

The canonical rogue trapper splash is used for a pale master wizard build, you build intelligence and use that to help defenses by taking the feat insightful reflexes (intelligence for your evasion skill checks). Pale masters get the ability to self heal via their death aura line (also does damage). In the end you have trapping ability, cc, ranged dps, and self-healing. They are on the squishy side so if something goes very wrong you will feel it.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

I'm running an acrobat staff rogue with a barbarian splash for blood tribute and it's doing pretty well running elite with a hireling up to level 6 or so, will see how it continues to hold up. Reaper is too spicy for me but I can manage it if somone else in the group is good for it. And yeah like people are saying I'm pretty sure basically anything can solo normal at least until epic levels?

Is there a good breakdown of gear to pick up while leveling, especially saving for future lives?

I really love the tales from white plume mountain quests in the twelve. Fun mechanics, also generally good loot for the level. You can also look for sets in ravenloft when you get there (also good quests).

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Also for all the new people exploring the game the next hardcore season is rumored to start in December. It’s a great opportunity to see the game with a thriving early game population. Initially the server was vip only but recent seasons have made it open to f2p. Regardless if you character lives or dies you can generally transfer it to your main server.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Lorem ipsum posted:

Yea i'm pumped for next hardcore. There are some rumors that its going to be really good. I'm shooting for the favor leaderboards this time assuming I can get my homies back together for it.

Just remember everyone the biggest killers are traps!

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

shahadien posted:

Hey, just wanted to give a shout-out of thanks for the heads-up on this code.

I had recently decided to re-download the game, but decided that I was just too drat far behind on content packs to bother paying for all of it. This might actually be enough to get me back into it!

Only other problem is....it had been so long since I had played that I have COMPLETELY forgotten how to use the old characters I had built. Gonna make up a new toon and get a new handle on the game now!

Thanks again!

You can check to see if any of your characters have a true heart of wood- this will let you essentially “re-roll” that character with their existing race and class. You could follow a more contemporary guide (ddo forums or ddovault.com, though the people posting on ddovault typically emphasize very endgame builds). This way you have a better sense of your character identity. Doesn’t help me with one of my toons being some mix of cleric/monk/fighter (???) but if you are a single class or multi class that makes sense it should work.

The meta game for ddo is generally to enhance the power of your character through “true resurrections.”

That said, nothing wrong with re-rolling. Note that they released “the borderlands” within the past couple years as an alternative to korthos island. I still love korthos so I typically do both in my hardcore runs.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Reindeer Flotilla posted:

I got an email about the free quests plus the cheap modules, so I re-upped to give it a try - played a bit several years ago, but never passed level 6. I found an arcane archer build that looked interesting, and am working through the Korthos Island quests now - any tips and tricks that I should know?

Paralyzing arrows, while fun, dont work on a fair amount of the content (such as undead) so don’t emphasize them too much.

You might find more power from archers focus that you find from elemental arrows, that said play what is fun for you. If you do try archers focus note that aimed shot from the deepwood stalker tree will add stacks of archers focus. There’s also a whole new tree horizon walker that looks designed for bows.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Been playing the game with one of my kids and it is still a very fun game with multiplayer -- challenge is you generally need to bring your own people from what I tell if you want to level heroics (outside hardcore level <~14). Been a handful of times where the lag has been pretty rough. Such a great IP to not have the support that it deserves. The game is also kind of predatory with its pricing sometimes (die in a quest? pay money to rez!).

Maybe the EG7 folks will help with some this? Certainly bringing in more folks with the quest pack is a good thing.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Antaris posted:

I've been meaning to try this game for ages just because it seems so drat weird compared to pretty much any other MMO out there. Free quest packs and this thread reminded me about it again so may as well give it a go.

Can I grab a guild invite for Arktorius, thanks.

Sent you an invite to your mailbox.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

The night revels quests are actually fun and cheeky so if you never check them out you should before they go away for another year.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Robo Reagan posted:

Are REHN runs still important or should I be spreading out and doing more single completions?
REHN is not a thing anymore since the introduction of the bravery bonus. Run on reaper or elite to collect full xp bonus (and faction!). There is a level limit I think to collect whole xp bonus (quest lvl +2?)- this doesn’t impact faction.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Lorem ipsum posted:

So i'm really excited for the update this week, but a lot of the posters on the official forums are very angry and its very funny. Here are some good quotes:

The difference between a new player and a player that is completionist is something like 150 past lives (racial, iconic, class, epic). Huge time sink. With this update how I read it (I have never done epic) they are doing away with a convoluted system of epic leveling and introducing a system that is similar to enhancements (meaning any class can take any epic destiny combination up to 3).

As a new player this is great because you will not get to level 20 and “figure out” that the epic destiny you want to play is gated behind leveling some other class you have no interest in (assuming this is actually how this works). Historically you had you do something to work your way across the “web” of epic destinies if your class didn’t give you the epic destiny you wanted to play.

Assuming the can fix the lag and further consolidate servers (max pop on servers typically around 500) you might see more people looking to play more from scratch.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Hey so I'm probably gonna do a bear druid for my second life, human to get the racial past life. I was considering something along these lines, with a bit of spellcasting thrown in, but that doesn't have enhancements listed. Strimtom's build guide in the OP has a multiclass druid that looks interesting, but it uses a razorclaw shifter- I'm not sure if that's needed, and if not what should I do with the 2-4 extra skill points

Could consider this build that throws in barb and artificer for blood tribute and trapping:

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/514783-Mary-had-a-Little-Bear-A-2H-Natural-Fighting-Casting-Trapping-Druid-Build

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Lorem ipsum posted:

The cosmetics are really cool, as are the augments that give a festive stat bonus as they are unique to this event.

Cosmetics are extremely good.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Aster0ids posted:

Is there a list somewhere of dungeons/scenarios that arent puzzle-heavy?

I enjoyed the one at the entrance of harbor where you have to defeat a wave of enemies, id like to play more of those. Took a break for a week, came back yesterday and butted my head on a puzzle one in house deneith right away. I usually play late evenings when im tired, i just wanna smash sheet.

I don’t know how viable it is from an xp/minute but you can conceivably get experience from slaying and exploring wilderness zones.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

MH Knights posted:

Can I get a guild invite? And do I need to be online to actually get the invite? Chevellemhk is my level 3 Barbarian's name and swinging a two-handed axe while humming DOOM music is my game.

Sent you an invite should be in your mailbox.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

DerekSmartymans posted:

Is there a reason I can’t get the game to run (I still haven’t “started,” but I wanted to glance at the store and that’s in game only (right?).

My username and password are fine (login works on website), and all files are caught up now, but when I push “play” it goes to server select, and when I click “Argowhazit” it goes immediately back to username/password in a never ending loop. It happens from the DDO launcher, Steam, & GoG. I have sometimes occasionally gotten a message that it’s running and to stop the “other” instance, but if you stop Steam or GoG the whole DDO login/server loop starts. I reset settings and even deleted all the files and redl’d them (13Gb? No expansions and still a free account with a dwarf on Argonessen never played, just created).

Is this a new bug? Or something seen/I’m doing wrong? I tried on my old laptop and the exact things happen. I didn’t want to bother you folks or ssgames but the fact it happens on two different Win10 machine leads me to an outside or configuration problem.

You could try registering a new account maybe? Alternatively I have had some issues with the directx mode (especially the oldest one). Another thing you could try is enabling 64 bit.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Lorem ipsum posted:

Hardcore season 5 starts December 1 and runs for 2 months!

Any sense what the meta read is going to be?

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Lorem ipsum posted:

Not 100% sure what you mean by "meta read"

What are good builds for hc this season.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Sintor posted:

Excellent, thanks for the advice folks. As far as dying, I definitely expect it, I'm not claiming to be the uber-gamer -- I just enjoy the tension of hardcore modes. I got the adventure codes entered, anything worth throwing a few coins at to make life easier or does it not apply to hardcore characters?

Edit: Looks like Feywild is good to get expansion wise and the three 99 point purchases -- is VIP worth it for playing on Hardcore?

VIP is a big convenience for starting quests on elite+. You will have a relatively easy time joining hardcore parties with someone who can do this level 1-10 (higher is possible too but more challenging as people die, lol).

You can make a human barbarian for your first character (doesn’t require VIP) and have a very viable character. When you want to do more esoteric builds you will want to consider VIP - Dragonborn warlock, for example.

Generally speaking you can use the free races and classes to get through the game if you focus your build correctly (traps are one consideration, though those have been discussed in the thread recently).

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Sintor posted:

I see a lot about starting out elite+ but even the first dungeon I opened at Elite was beating me up pretty badly, should I run through normals to a certain point then go back for elites? Sorry for the new questions, it's definitely fun so far and the tension is just right. I used a daily dice roll that actually put me up to almost level 2 instantly, is that a mistake? Very interesting so far and thanks for all the help!

If you do a two handed fighting Barbarian and rush tier 3 blood tribute you will do just fine. Just don’t use it too excessively and reset the con penalty by resting.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Lorem ipsum posted:

I got to 20:

Hot drat congrats!

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

The korthos quest line has a certain charm to it if you have never done it. The borderlands quests are fine I guess but really exist to serve as an alternative to korthos.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

WhiteHowler posted:

I started playing this last week with a few friends who had never played before either.

We've been doing three- or four-person groups (Bear Druid, Cleric, Paladin, and sometimes Wizard) and haven't had a problem with any of the dungeon difficulty up to level 5. Do we get to a point where we'll really need a party of six to proceed?

You might want a trapper for some dungeons, especially if youre on elite, otherwise it sounds like you’re good.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

hosed-up birthday posted:

I started playing this again recently but started on Orien because it was the recommended server. Is it worth it to transfer over to Argonnesen or just start new characters there? I don't have anything too high, a few level 10s is the highest.

If you’re looking for a low lvl experience you could do hardcore. At end of season you get free transfers (dead or alive).

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Came back to hardcore season 7 this time and had a real blast. Made all the rewards other than 20 rxp. I’m not big on companions so now I’m just playing for fun (and dying way more because of it).

This game is really great and the hardcore community is terrific. Wish they would just make the unlock coupon permanent so there’s not that barrier to entry for people to join.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Lorem ipsum posted:

Honestly, the endgame community is great too on softcore. I love this game but there are so many barriers to entry including money its so hard to get people to try it. I also want them to make more adventure packs free (just take anything thats 5+ years old and make it free) and do some big decrease in the cost of old expansions.

e: BTW there is currently a preview of U58 up on the test server. Basically, it adds 3 new archetypes: Blightcaster(poison/DoT druid), Dark Hunter (ranger that can trap, throw traps, bunch of other stuff), and some demon based warlock thing where you get eye lasers and can momentarily turn into a demon and claw people

The producer has some videos out how they're concerned making content free will threaten VIP subs.... Just keep in daily gold rolls? I think overall people want *more* people playing.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Lorem ipsum posted:

I mean like they don't even have to make it ALL free. I'd keep my sub if new content is not-free for like 2 years or something

She suggested something like that and I think it’s reasonable too. At least the value proposition on hardcore is there with being able to open on elite (though isn’t that frustrating if you’re premium that you can’t do that??)

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Lorem ipsum posted:

oh its one use? lmao

I couldn’t find it based on your description but didn’t know the item name. How many points does one cost?

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Lorem ipsum posted:

25/per quest. Its prob not feasible to use

I think there could be some niche scenario in hardcore where you can pug 80% of the quests you need for favor rewards that this might be more economic than vip, but even then it’s marginal.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

snergle posted:

im thinking of picking this up again is argo still the better server to roll on?

In terms of population I believe orien benefitted from the “free transfers” that was going on. Note that server-based unlocks don’t transfer.

Argo is where most goons are, but the guild isn’t particularly active. I only really play during hardcore league.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

New hardcore league just dropped yesterday! Get in!

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Oh yeah I run Carnival very rarely but that's all fragments too I think. I usually do Lords of Dust, Vault of Night, Sentinels of Stormreach (including Spies which is pretty long) and usually Demon Sands and the Chronoscope raid.

In terms of expansions first off they usually go on sale around Black Friday. The Underdark/Shadowfell/Ravenloft pack is good (the gear is outdated especially the first two, but they're good epic XP and Ravenloft is fantastic, plus it gives you easy access to good enough weapons), I like Sharn a lot and Feywild also has very good leveling gear. Dread and Morgrave are the current cutting edge gear but I haven't played a lot with them yet. Saltmarsh isn't bad but not really necessary imo

Sharn is probably my favorite. Ravenloft also quite good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Umbreon posted:

When you say Sharn you're talking about this questline, correct?

https://ddowiki.com/page/The_Sharn_Syndicate

Nope, there’s an expansion, “Masterminds of Sharn”

https://ddowiki.com/page/Masterminds_of_Sharn