Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.
Old OP is HERE

Almost all races and classes are totally free now!

DDO is a older MMO (came out originally in 2006) based on D&D 3.5 edition (with a pathfinder twist in recent times). After a few years of operating under a subscription-based model they migrated to a F2P model where new adventures, races, classes and items could be purchased using points that can be either earned in game or purchased.
While the game is on Steam most folks play the game via the launcher available on https://www.ddo.com/

News
Current update is U53 - it adds a new raid, augment vendors, makes a bunch of classes/races free. The upcoming expansion is Isle of Dread (sometime in May?) which is gonna add Tabaxi (cat people), DINOSAURS, and a DINOSAUR MOUNT.

The last couple expansions have been sick. The newest expansion is the "Sinister Secret of the Saltmarsh". Visually - it looks great. The quests are super interesting too and have a lot of hidden stuff to find. The previous expansion "Fables of the Feywild" was also full of memorable stories and has a sweet soundtrack.

Here is the retro/throwback trailer they made for saltmarsh: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmsxcfNvgA4
Here is the feywild soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6fu7M_JBv4

Why would i play a 15 year old game you ask?
  • Action combat where you can leap though the air, los attacks and dodge traps
  • No WoW fetch quest bullshit. The leveling in this game is built to be the fun part.
  • Periodic hardcore seasons with special rewards
  • Linux support
  • Game brings in a lot of classic adventures from D&D history in addition to unique content.
  • Character building/leveling system is deep/complex. Your first character will likely be equal parts completely unique and gimp.
  • ~400 unique quests and a few adventure areas

Why wouldn't you play this dumb 15 year old game?
  • Server lag. The game plays really well 80% of the time but man that 20% really stands out. Its better than it was a year ago due to some patches but honestly the progress has been glacial.
  • Bad monetization scheme. Basically, you have to pay for expansions. This is fine, but VIP (the subscription) does not grant you access to these expansions, even the ones that are TEN YEARS OLD. Last year, they let people unlock a lot of packs for free permanently. Hopefully this will make a comeback. Also, it is possible to unlock everything as f2p (and people do it), its just a large grind.

What does the endgame look like?

There are basically 3 endgames in DDO:
  • Raiding
  • Pushing high reaper levels (reaper is a scalable difficulty setting)
  • Chasing past lives. The game lets you reincarnate and go back to level 1 for a marginal power boost. You can do this hundreds of times to turn a marginal bonus into a really big boost. You can clear all content in the game on elite difficulty without past lives.

Can I play with goons?

Yep! We are on the Argonnessen server...guild is Order of the Ten Bux. You can post your character name here and i'll mail you a guild invite. Guild discord is here: https://discord.gg/Uy3UnWGDY4

I'm new and want to follow a build!
Follow any of these and you will do fine: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/523140-Strimtom-s-Hardcore-Ready-Character-builds-Season-4

ThePotatoMasher has a ton of good info in old OP that I didn't copy in because :effort: so check that out.

Some quick tips for new players
1. Join a guild, and use guild buffs from the airship. The airship captain also teleports you to a bunch of useful places.
2. Use hirelings to help you with heals. Put your hire in aggressive stance!
3. DDO wiki has a wealth of information available, be sure to check it out
4. You can do the Keep on the Borderlands pack as an alternative for early levels if its available to you
5. The newer expansions and quest packs tend to have some pretty powerful gear for the level (sharn>feywild>ravenloft).
6. Get a free collectables bag from Baudry Cartamon in the harbor. This bag occupies one bag slot but holds 1000/ea of 12 unique collectables (the gold-bordered crap that can't be vended. It's apparently used for some higher-level stuff). You can get a medium for 9k plat in house J, which holds 30 unique.
7. Get a free gems bag from Fitzpat the Fence in the harbor. It holds 6 unique gems. You can get a medium for 9k plat in house J.
8. Get a tiny ingredients bag from Felix d'Cannith in the harbor.
9. Do circles in the keep on the borderlands wilderness area for a free mount. Each rare mob has a 50/50 chance of dropping a feather. You need 15 feathers to get a free mount. Here is a farming path: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/509887-This-is-how-I-farmed-enough-feathers-quickly?p=6265388#post6265388 You don't gotta do it all at once, but if you're level 1 or 2, the gear and money and XP is all pretty good. Mounts are usable at level 1.
10. Do the Sharn Syndicate quest chain (suggested level 4). At the end of the chain, there are a bunch of "nicked" blue weapon rewards which are great low level weapons. They all have an equip requirement of only level 2, too. https://ddowiki.com/page/The_Sharn_Syndicate There's only a 50/50 chance any given weapon in the list appears at the end of the chain, but you can redo it and there's a pity drop where the full list appears on third completion.
11. Newbie series here which should cover a lot of ground: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLtsQoxbW0LXqbTXu0VVZ_kA79W-6mIRSo

How do I get into endgame?
Raids
Generally, you want to be level 29 or 30. The raiding operates under a tiering system which basically just defines how hard the raid is. Many raids have an flagging requirement which means you have to run a couple quests before running the raid. Generally, you only have to flag once for the raid and you are set until you TR (heroic raids are different and generally worse for flagging). This is a really good reference https://ddowiki.com/page/Help!_Am_I_Raid_Ready
On our servers, the following raids are run with some frequency (usually on the weekend): Old Baba's Hut, The Curse of Strahd, Legendary Vision of Destruction, Legendary Master Artificer, Legendary Lord of Blades, The Dryad and the Demigod, Fire on Thunder Peak, Temple of the Deathwyrm.
The emerald claw runs teaching raids twice a week on our server: Thursday 9:30 PM EST [ Fire on Thunder Peak, Temple of the Deathwyrm ], Sunday 9:30 PM EST [ Old Baba's Hut, The Curse of Strahd ]

High Reapers
High reapers (r8-r10) are really hard and really fun. Generally, you want to have a really refined group to run these. The easiest way to start running these is to be a healer. The roles are generally: Healer, Healer, Tank, CC/instakill, DPS, DPS. The only role for mages in high reapers is generally CC or instakill. DPS is dominated by melee and ranged classes due to the sheer amount of HP of the enemies. Theres a lot of stuff here to learn but my suggestion would to be do a healer life and try it. Most groups are welcoming to new players on healers. Just make sure you hang out at the back and read up on how all the reapers and champions work.

Links
Guild Discord https://discord.gg/Uy3UnWGDY4
DDO wiki https://ddowiki.com/
DDO builder https://github.com/Maetrim/DDOBuilder/releases
Official DDO Discord https://discord.gg/ZS5Fkfc
Hardcore DDO Goon Discord https://discord.gg/p6C8fr3
Previous thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3927401

Lorem ipsum fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Mar 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Edly posted:

I've always wanted to try this game out. If I muddle my way through with my own build for the first time how screwed will I be? Will I be able to reincarnate and fix everything once I get a handle on what I'm doing?

So the difficulty of the quests is scalable. Honestly - even if your build is horrible almost anything can muddle though on normal as long as you are still having fun. If you aren't having fun thats a different story and we can workshop it a bit but you should be fine to try it.

e: And yes - when you reincarnate you start totally from scratch. There are also a few incremental ways to respec without reincarnation.

Lorem ipsum fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Aug 17, 2021

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

FreeWifi!! posted:

For some reason i've alway's enjoyed this game.

Downloading now and ill post my name for an invite.

Mail invite to Allager pls. Thief/acrobat/staff/what?

Might change that to full daggers for the posion. Not sure you can posion a staff...

Theif acrobat is super fun, def try it. You might consider mixing in a couple barb levels to get blood sacrifice. I'll mail you an invite soon.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

FreeWifi!! posted:

I also like the fact that you can start your own guild without paying any money whatsoever.

Not having to sit in a public channel asking strangers to sign your guild charter (to make a guild) because none of your friends are on is a plus as well.

Edit: Not sure if you sent the email, but i haven't gotten it.
Also they have no mail in Korthos village?
It seems if i want to get mail i need to go to Stormreach harbor but in order to do that, i need to skip all of Korthos.
And i dont want to do that, i want the exp from Korthos.

Just sent both guild invites, sorry I feel asleep last night before sending them. You can go back to korthos and still do the quests, but you will be in the "sunny" version of korthos as if you can completed the mini story once already.

You will have to go to the harbor to get your mail tho. Once you get the guild invite, you should jump on the airship (green anchor symbol) and get the buffs from the big buff device on the main deck. You can also explore the lower decks of the ship if you want.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Edly posted:

I bounced off this game immediately in 2017, I think because I saw it had action bar combat and the graphics were janky. Now I find the graphics kind of charming, and it's definitely not typical button-mashy action bar combat. The fact that enemies don't give you loot/exp (apparently) and the fact that you don't regenerate hp/mana except at designated waypoints gives a very different flavor to combat and resource management.

I did another couple of dungeons in the starter village. I love that the final boss of one of them was a tile puzzle. I also learned how to prepare spells and spend action points. Holy cow I wasn't expecting that level of character customization, it looks like I have 8 or so talent trees to choose from, plus a bunch of choices within each tree. Also I've been given a few actually interesting loot choices already, at level 1. Really glad I decided to give the game another try.

Don't worry, the game continues to get more complicated the longer you play. There was a recent update to endgame loot to normalize a lot of gearing values in the endgame. This took a fairly stagnant endgame gearing meta and blew it wide open with hundreds of viable items. Gear tetris is now mindboggling.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Jossar posted:

I've tried DDO a few times over the years (I have Korthos practically memorized by now), but always seem to bounce off of it around level 7 or so, when I start getting to the later House quests. Reading the thread makes me want to try again, but I kind of worry I'll just put a bunch of hours in and have the exact same thing happens as always. Any advice on avoiding early-ish burnout, possibly including how I should approach quests? I tended to methodically complete everything up until Elite before moving on, but kind of suspect that might be contributing to the burnout.

One of the VIP perks is that you can run quests on elite the first time you run them. I usually only run each quest once on elite. F2P is a bit limiting, but there are still a good number of quests early so even on normal you can avoid repeating most quests. But yes, I agree, I wouldn't recommend repeating quests for now.

e: if you do end up reincarnating, it unlocks the ability to play quests on elite the first time you enter them even if you are F2P

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

FreeWifi!! posted:

I like the fact the gear in game has is very descriptive and long

Simple Club
----------------------
Base Value: 1cp
Weight: 3 lbs
Proficiency Class: Simple weapons
Damage and Type: 1d6 Bludgeon
Critical threat range 20/x2
Weapon Type: Bludgeoning weapons
Handedness: One-handed weapon
Default Modifiers: Daytime (less dam x22 nighttime more x23)
Damage: STR
Attack: STR
Durability: 50
Made from: Wood
Hardness: 5
Bless: no
IF used during ceremony must roll save vs.blight
IF blight > cancel bless
Warrior/Monk/Rogue/Wizard/ Exact 2d9 <save/save/roll null>
Description
A simple wooden weapon with a wide, round head and a narrow handle
-------------------------

I don't even know what the hell half of that means.. :shrug:

Yea, I mean I could explain it, but honestly its better to learn to decipher the character page first to get more relevant information. But yea, I mean different weapons have different damage profiles and damage types. Critical multiplier, critical range, and the attack/damage stats are usually good to pay attention to though.

e: ^ I sent another invite, maybe I spelled it wrong last time. That is your character name, correct?

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Edly posted:

I went ahead and got a 1 month sub since the dungeons were too easy on normal. I hit level 2, finished the Korthos Island story arc (although I need to go back and do a couple optional quests I missed), and accepted my guild invite. Game is still fun! My main goal now is to find a warhammer since I picked that as my favored weapon when I was making my cleric.

You could try heading to keep on the borderlands. There is a special guy there that you can trade in ingots to (a drop in the dungeon) for most kinds of weapons. I like the quests also!

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Ghosts! posted:

I don't think the recent stat adjustments impacted gear outside of endgame, but I might be mistaken.

They did not, they basically just smoothed out the gearing curve for epics. Good tips - want me to put them up top?

nearly killed em! posted:

i've been looking for an excuse to play this, i enjoyed it years ago. here i come!

Dope, there is a ton new stuff - almost all of it is positive in my opinion!

I'm on a lot by the way as either "Stercuum" or "Water" so if anyone here wants someone to play with hit me up in guild chat or tells. I'm bad at going slow though because i've done the quests a lot so sorry in advance!

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Ghosts! posted:

Sure, feel free to use them.

That's good to know about the gear. I don't really have much endgame stuff, so it probably didn't affect me much. I'm curious how the epic destiny changes will play out.

Drashin posted:

Can anyone send me an invite to the guild for Skrimira? Thanks in advanced.

Done and done!

I really enjoy raiding in this game, I would just recommend avoiding raiding on Sunday due to lag. Thursdays at 9:30est there is a group called emerald claw that always does Curse of Strahd and Old Baba's Hut so thats a decent place to start for anyone that wants to get into raiding

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Elblanco posted:

I decided to bite a bullet and try this game again, dropped $15 for VIP cause I wanted to try out keep on the borderlands and other paid adventures. Went with a barbarian build, Superblanco is the name for him and I'd take a g invite if possible.

I feel like I saw you in town in passing haha. Invite sent.

I'm currently at level 8 in most current life if anyone wants to quest with me in that range tomorrow.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

DankRhymer posted:

Hello, can I get an invite to Coatez please? Turns out I had a level 3 paladin from like 6 years ago when I tried this game briefly.

Check your mail!

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Hy_C posted:

Wake me up Ipsum when I can do Bastard Sword Paladin without being an ugly PDK.

You can't do bastard sword, but you can now do a khopesh paladin with a specific khopesh!

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Elswyyr posted:

So how much nickel and diming is there even if you go VIP? I remember having to pay for expansions and a bunch of classes and races. I can see the expansions are still paid, but what about monk/FVS/tiefling/WF/etc

This is a comprehensive list of VIP benefits: https://ddowiki.com/page/VIP

Basically, there are still some races/classes not included such as Drow, Shifter, Artificer, Alchemist, and Favored Soul. You can unlock Favored Soul and Drow fairly easily just by playing, but the other three you need to buy with points.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
I'll put it in the OP, but since a few people ingame were unaware: You can talk to the captain on the airship to teleport to a lot of different places in the game. There is even a second page of teleport destinations that include of a lot of normally hard to get to places that bypass any quest requirements for getting to places such as meridia and the desert.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Figured I might as well check if manuelasaenz can get a guild invite

I tried to invite you, but the game is telling me you don't exist. Its based on the character name, not the account name so maybe that is the issue?

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Now that I think about it I'm pretty sure I'm on Cannith server

Oh yea, that would do it. I really wish they would figure out how to squish the servers. Apparently its super hard because they did the old mmo thing and tied everything the character names so merging would be a nightmare.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Ihki posted:

I actually ran into a PAX Q&A where they say this is at least being actively worked on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jfbYogZGzc&t=745s, guild transfer being the big tech hurdle. In, err, February 2020.

With what a janky mess DDO is can be at times, I'm having a surprisingly good time getting back in the game! It's been a trip reading the official forums about what a mess everyone thinks the epic destiny rework is going to be, but even that sounds perfectly great to me when looking at the design principles and the state of the game where all my epic power spikes at 20, particularly now that U50 released all this epic crafting loot that made me go from EH struggling to EE comfortable within a week of returning to the game. Give me those new epic destinies, a gear pass for MotU/Shadowfell, add in server merges, and I bet I'd be happy for a good while. Sounds like they're gearing up for a new reincarnation tier for 30-3x also, what with there being more quests at levels 30-32 than 21-29.

That said, please, for the love of god, if anyone has an abundance of shield frames, I could really use pieces 3, 6 & 7. I have extras of 5 & 8, IIRC, if you could use any. Picked up one of those Quivers of Alacrity and want to get that upgraded before TRing. The thought of another full ransack of Necro 4 (I hate it!!!) & hours of encounter farming in Orchard (searching the crypts is the worst!!!) is not an appealing one.

Honestly, i'm super excited about the loot rebalance that happened and the upcoming epic destiny revamp. The official forums are a toxic wasteland of angry 40 somethings that haven't played the game in a decade. Hell, people on there were upset when they gave out a free sword of shadows for the 15th anniversary because it "devalued their hard work farming it" (you can still get this btw if you use the redeem code). Screw those guys, they got lucky once and pulled the sword, big deal. Its literally the same people complaining about the ED revamp and literally spreading deliberate falsehoods.

I might have pieces, but honestly you would be better off doing 3 iconic lives for the movespeed and just using speed boots until then. I have some unbound min level 1 striding 30/ff boots if you want those.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Ihki posted:

You think so? I don't have any iconic lives, but was thinking of starting out with a Bladeforged, maybe. By my count, farming out three tiefling iconics would be something in the range of 100-200 hours of active gameplay, which is a pretty heavy investment. Then I'd be locked into using the iconic stance which could alternatively be replaced with a ML1 quiver item I already have (waiting for an upgrade), which is in a slot that is useless for most characters. And it's a pretty good quiver for heroic archers, too! By the numbers, I'd rather run another six or twelve hours of Necro 4, probably, and be done with it. Or just find a way to trade for those three fragments I'm missing. Not seeing the downside for it, where investing an iconic stance in low level speed looks a bit clunky.

I mean if you really want the quiver, it is a nice upgrade. I guess if you already have the base quiver which it sounds like you have thats most of the work done. I will say though, no way does 3 iconic lives take 100 hours. Its going to be like 40 hours max and also give you the class past lives too. ~1 hour/level is about what it takes someone who is slow at soloing. Farming just makes me want to die.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Ihki posted:

I'm pretty sure you could easily double your one hour per level estimate and then some for anyone who isn't powerleveling with years of system knowledge, quest routes memorized, with something like an Excel sheet ready at hand with numbers crunched for the right leveling plan. For instance, anyone who hasn't played the game in seven years and also expects to spend time dicking around, gearing their dudes up. Or having murderous impulses when Necro 4's Inferno of the Damned keeps bugging the gently caress out, or spending ten minutes jumping around waiting for spawns to oneshot while that idiot doomsphere drains my constitution every couple of seconds just so that I can get that optional chest I need!!

I'll take being annoyed about that kind of old world MMO bullshit (which has its own bull-headed charm) over farming out multiple past lives I don't really want (or need, as I already have this goddamn quiver) out of necessity. But, granted, I forgot that you reset bravery bonuses for these runs which really makes the levels go by a lot faster with the iconics.

In other news, just found out what minor artifacts are after looting this baby in Saltmarsh!

Oh thats a dope item, I like that it has all the aug slots too. Minor artifacts can also slot 3 filigrees which is really nice

Keep in mind reincarnating also resets first time xp bonuses as well as chest ransack. I get wanting to stay at the endgame though, i've been parked there for a month just doing raids and its been fun.

e: I mean I get the appeal of the quiver but do you really have better boots than something like cannith propulsion boots or some other boots that give striding right now? I only feel squeezed on the boot slot when my gear starts filling up with set bonuses. If thats the case I suspect you are better geared than me haha

Lorem ipsum fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Sep 2, 2021

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
Reminder about XP bonuses this weekend:

1) Buddy bonus just started. +5% XP per party member
2) Extra +15% VIP bonus. Started a while ago
3) Normal +10% VIP bonus

VIPs get 50% bonus XP this weekend with a full party. VIPs get a 80% bonus in a full raid group for the weekend which is kind of insane. This stacks with XP pots, ship buffs, and voice of the master.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
Speaking of Strimtom, he did it, he caused the lag: https://twitch.tv/videos/1138966255?t=37030s. Maybe some insane physics thing is the root of a lot of issues after all

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

DankRhymer posted:

Hello, can I get an invite to Coatez please? Turns out I had a level 3 paladin from like 6 years ago when I tried this game briefly.

Well, you got the full leveling experience with us https://clips.twitch.tv/TrappedCleverCrabsRaccAttack-SJ8ipdgBkC8-x8Kn

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Fenris13 posted:

A couple of days ago I got an odd itch to check up on this game and started reading over the Wiki. So many neat changes since I last played(When Warlock was added). I was shocked to see this thread, since the old one was so inactive it got archived. I am sad to hear they still have not merged servers, the population issue is by far the biggest hurdle. I am not sure how long I can run things over and over solo knowing group content will be a bitch to get done.

I do really want to finally get completionist, I think after Warlock I only had one life left, but now two with alchemist. I am guessing that I missed out on any big sales for the last few expansion packs?

Hmm, looks like my account was tied to a super old email and none of my passwords are working. Nothing in the recovery is working either. Guess I wont be scratching this itch.

Ah sucks you can't recover your account. Their support might be able to help if you give them the account name and the old email address. Agreed solo sucks though but luckily I only end up soloing if I play at weird hours.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Fenris13 posted:

Success, the support team gave my old account a new email so I am back for the weekend! According to the guild log it had been 5 years and 6 months since I last logged in.

Sweet, weekly reminder that there are raids tonight at 9:30 est.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Ihki posted:

Also, money is close to useless for a veteran player. I often struggle to find ways to spend it, especially with the platinum cap being super easy to reach. But for a newbie, having a couple hundred grand can make an awfully big difference in how you can afford stuff from the auction house while building out your gear from nothing. Scrolls and consumables (very important!) probably cost something too if you don't have millions in the bank. If you could use some pocket money, let me (or anyone else probably) know. It's free real estate.

Yea, totally. I'm at plat cap on every character so please just ask.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
Yea, crystal cove is fun. Of note, the oar is one of the best quarterstaves in the game currently.

Also, on Wednesday, hardcore season 5 was confirmed to be coming before the end of the year so look forward to that!

e: My time has finally come

Lorem ipsum fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Sep 16, 2021

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
The test server for U51 is up now. The changes to epic destinies look dope. They basically threw out the entirety of the old system and now you can choose 3 epic enhancement trees which all have neat abilities now.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Fenris13 posted:

Anyone have any spare depleted medium(2) or High(10) energy cells? I really do not feel like flagging for shroud just to buy these from the vendor.

I deleted all of mine but i'm pretty sure i'm flagged. I can check to see if they are unbound (I think they are)

e: If you flag for L.Shroud i'll help you run it

double edit: Here's the r10 experience if anyone is interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMYRbPcxgqU

Lorem ipsum fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Sep 27, 2021

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Fenris13 posted:

Turns out I am also 1 large sulfurous stone short if anyone has one of those lying around, please let me know.

Heroic? I have 30 of them. Also, i'm planning to TR my main on Monday so if anyone is interested in some heroic levelling lets group up!

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Fenris13 posted:

Yes Heroic, and yes I am Anoto In game, kept missing you this night.

Ah ok i'll just throw it in the guild stash on the airship tomorrow after work

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Robo Reagan posted:

How's soloing in the game? Last time I played was a few years ago and I'm only on super late night for US and don't think I ever bumped in to anyone

With the exception of most raids and some necro 3 quests, you can solo the whole game. I personally just don't find it nearly as much fun.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Ghosts! posted:

On a side note, is anyone else having issues with not loading on zone transitions and having to restart the game?

Yea, this is one of 2 major performance problems for the game, the other generally being lag spikes. When this happens, you can actually still chat and stuff - if you type /quit you will be able to see the chat window and it will usually say "recovering from failed teleport". This happens to me fairly infrequently (once a week) but i've had it multiple times in one day before and it really sucks. Allegedly, they are working on it and this problem is relatively new compared to some other issues.

I'm glad you guys are having fun soloing. If you do end up having the urge to do some raids or reapers at level cap though, hit me up. I have a healer, tank and sorceror setup to handle a lot of different content.

Lorem ipsum fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Oct 2, 2021

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Robo Reagan posted:

I'm in as Orthalia Kronos. Took forever to find a name not taken.

How long would rep take to grind to unlock Artificer? I like tech in fantasy settings and paladin feels boring but safe for a first life. I have the coins to unlock it but if I can rep grind and use the coins for feywild I'd rather do that

One life as any class is enough to unlock Artificer. You just have to run enough house C quests to get 150 favor: https://ddowiki.com/page/House_Cannith#Quests. I can help you with the raids, they are easy.

Also! Paladin is complicated and cool in this game unlike other mmos. Honestly, paladin is one of my favorite classes.

I mailed you an invite, check any mailbox.

e: fair enough spending points. Yea, it doesn't come with VIP you prob just had a gazillion spare points like me when arti came out.

Lorem ipsum fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 2, 2021

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Robo Reagan posted:

What's the dev's stance on simple macros? I have a bunch of buffs that last 2 minutes which means I never use buffs

I doubt they care if you have a macro to cast your buffs. People are doing much crazier poo poo with client mods.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Robo Reagan posted:

Holy poo poo I'm glad I ground out the mount before going to do Saltmarsh. The zone is so big I assumed I had done all the stuff I could do at the time until I realized the level 32 in the quest log is misleading.

Will I get to keep the horse when I reincarnate or do I need to get the feathers again? And items I want to carry over need to be banked right? I'm awhile from being able to TR, but I want to know what I need to do ahead of time.

Anything in your mount or pet stable is shared across all characters on the server and persists over TRs. You are good.

All your banked and equipped items get thrown into a special bank area called the TR cache which is remove only.

https://ddowiki.com/page/Reincarnation has some good information, but the warning section is mostly paranoia in my experience - I don't know anyone who has gotten a broken reincarnation in the last 5 years.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
The test server just opened with the preview for the new caster-centric epic destinies and they look sick. There is a lot of cool stuff that looks like it will make combat more dynamic and just a lot of really cool sounding stuff (time stop????). New fatesinger is neat and the active music spells actually have little musical licks that play. You can see the lamm forum for the patch notes: https://www.ddo.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/266-Lamannia-News-amp-Official-Discussions

e: here are some of the things I think sound cool

Time Stop: Epic Moment: Enemies in a small area are Paralyzed and Helpless with no save for 6 seconds. They cannot die in this state, but if they are below 0 HP when they leave this state, they die instantly. Bosses and Raid Bosses are not Paralyzed, but are considered Helpless for the purpose of damage. 5 minute cooldown.

Shout it out Multi Selector:
Greatest Shout SLA : CD: 6s Cost: 6 SP You may cast the spell Greater Shout as a Spell-like ability with an increased DC. Emits an ear-splitting yell that deals 1d6+3 Sonic damage per caster level (up to caster level 20) and stuns targets in its path. A successful Fortitude save halves the damage and negates the stun, DC:20 + Highest of Stat Mod + Evocation.
Very Very Vocal: When you cast Shout, Great Shout or Horn of Thunder the damage is doubled.

Cut the Strings: SLA. Strike a note to reveal the cords of fate so you might cut them. All monsters within a wide radius around you are forced to dance (Will vs DC:20 + DEX/INT/CHA + Enchantment) pulled by the strings of fate for 10 seconds. In Addition for 10 seconds your character gains the ability to cut their strings with any weapon strike or spell at a rate of once per second, instantly killing them. Bosses if they fail their save do not dance but will take an additional 100 sonic damage that scales with spell power when attacked by you in melee for the duration of the effect. Cooldown: 60 second.

Daunting Roar: Breath Weapons (including your Dragon Breath Epic Strike) have a 25% chance to paralyze enemies caught within them with fear for 6 seconds with no save. This can only affect each monster once - once they have been feared successfully, successive attempts will fail. Enemies that are immune to fear are immune to this effect.

Lorem ipsum fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Oct 5, 2021

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Ort posted:

I love moon/night type magic in games so I am beyond pumped for those animations. Hopefully I’m not stuck playing a dumb pale master to make the tree viable.

Nah, magus looks like its going to be pretty powerful so you should be in good shape - especially if you mix in draconic

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
ra

sgbyou posted:

Just coming back to this and having fun for now. Could I get a guild invite for 'Waverer'?

Sent! Let us know if you need anything or any help!

quote:

Feywild rules. I knew it'd be weird but I didn't think it'd be killing windmills and gingerbread golems weird. It's such a better low level experience than the Harbor's loving around in warehouses

Feywild is top teir. The quests are fun, the music owns, it looks pretty, and you actually get excited about the loot. Ravenloft is the other one i'd put at the top just because the atmosphere of the place is amazing.

Lorem ipsum fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Oct 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Ort posted:

Sharn sucks and I wouldn’t care if I ever set foot in there again. Hate the setting, hate the mobs, hate the quests.

I don't hate sharn (I actually love some of the quests like red rain, reach for the sky, and a lot of the cogs stuff) but it is usually much harder than other content at the same level. However, and this is important for new players - sharn is by far the best bang for your buck as far as expansions go. It has the most XP, the best gear in the game (in addition to the heroic version being at a really convenient level for heroic gear), and 2 raids.