Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Figured I might as well check if manuelasaenz can get a guild invite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Lorem ipsum posted:

I tried to invite you, but the game is telling me you don't exist. Its based on the character name, not the account name so maybe that is the issue?

Now that I think about it I'm pretty sure I'm on Cannith server

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

If nothing else it would help with population- idk if Argonessen is any better but I'm lucky to find even one open group when leveling

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

How populated is the Argonnessen server? I'm considering transferring from Cannith for the goon guild and I'm wondering if I'll at least get more chances of pug groups with the switch

E: holy poo poo that's expensive

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 19, 2021

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah I had a character with one reincarnation under their belt but I think I'm gonna start over, charname ConstanceG if I can get a guild invite

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

So I'm running that rogue/fighter/barb staff build in the linked hardcore guide; is it worth subbing so I can open stuff at higher level? Redeemed the adventure code and I've previously got Ravenloft, Shadowfell, Underdark and maybe Sharn. The easier favor seems nice for unlocking stuff but idk if I can actually do it well- I tried an acid archer build before and it felt like I fell off really hard on late heroic through epic

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I just did a circuit of the Borderlands rares for the horse and only got two rares, one of which was the guaranteed one from the seals

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Hey any tips on how to get favor smoothly while leveling? I know you get points per every 100 favor or so, plus a +2 tome at like 1700 and a +5 at 5000, and various factions give you permanent unlocks like enhancement trees. How much is feasible to do on a first life and what's a good progression to go towards? Currently at 5 having finished borderlands and gatekeepers

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Still pretty new but couple of things: first, especially if you're not an obsessive D&D 3.5e character builder, probably at least look at a preexisting build. (This does kinda suck when you find a concept you've been looking for and it's from like 2011.) Second, pretty sure a bunch of races/classes are free for VIP but if the sub lapses you have to either resub or buy the unlock. Third, most stuff is pretty easy to solo at the easiest difficulty but can be rough on the harder ones as a new player. If you can get people to group with you then you can basically get dragged through anything

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I'm running an acrobat staff rogue with a barbarian splash for blood tribute and it's doing pretty well running elite with a hireling up to level 6 or so, will see how it continues to hold up. Reaper is too spicy for me but I can manage it if somone else in the group is good for it. And yeah like people are saying I'm pretty sure basically anything can solo normal at least until epic levels?

Is there a good breakdown of gear to pick up while leveling, especially saving for future lives?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Does anyone have general advice on what consumables to use, or specific for a rogue? There's just a whole ton of stuff that I'm not sure what to do with. I'm training UMD as well but not really sure what's useful for me there.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Just a friendly PSA I only noticed last night: when you upgrade an ability in your enhancement tree, you have to go back and put it in your bar again or it'll keep using your old un-upgraded version

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

What's the best way to get a featherfall augment? I'm looking at Ravenloft gear and I don't think I'll have a spare slot

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Got through Ravenloft with some goon help, still a really fun expansion. Kinda want to grind out a few more bits of gear before moving on though. On a different note, what's the advice for filling out reaper enhancements? I figure defensive ones first but I'm not really sure which stuff to put points into. Con seems a no-brainer, I'm already dodge capped, so i guess either double down on reflex, patch up will, or get some more resistance?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Don't be like me and forget to turn on improved precise shot for 2 levels

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

huh, don't have access to sharn as VIP, which is weird because I swear i did it before. maybe there was a free period?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Getting close to epic levels and im really liking this rogue staff build, definitely a lot smoother than the last one I played. Think once I hit epics I'm just gonna go through the forgotten realms sagas plus maybe giant hold and vault of night? Planning out destinies seems like a huge pain in the rear end and I'm glad it's going away

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

man beholders on elite don't gently caress around, even with death ward on an item. doesn't help my will save is garbage

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

okay so i need a bit of advice on doing weapon math, trying to decide if i want a barovian weapon or one that recently dropped, and why

Barovian's Quarterstaff
1.50[1d6] +5
20 / x2
+5 Enhancement Bonus
Silver, Alchemical
Holy 3
Fiery 3
Undead Bane 3

Bone Crusher
2[1d10] + 6
18-20 / x2
+6 Enhancement Bonus
Seeker +6
Insightful Combat Mastery +4
Rockslide
Shockwave
Dexterity +6

Typing this out I noticed the bone crusher has way better crit which might push it into being better. Looking at it the Barovian seems to average out at 1.5*3.5 +5 = 10.25 and 6*3.5 = 21 bonus damage, while the bone crusher just does 2*5.5 +6 = 17; plus a bit of accuracy, seeker, and trip bonuses (don't need the dex) and idk if the rockslide/shockwave is good. But I don't know exactly how the game calculates additional stuff like extra weapon dice on attacks

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Okay cool, I've got at least +2 threat and +1 multiplier; plus +11 from dex which idk if it scales with crit? I didn't know sneak attack does and it seems kinda unreliable but that also helps a bunch

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Lorem ipsum posted:

Not a terrible option honestly - you could even not level the sentience jewel and slap a single filigree in there and be in good shape

actually looking at this, is just slapping a sentient jewel on a decent epic leveling item and feeding it occasionally useful? idk how common they are or how difficult they are to mess with

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

speaking of, when are the ED revamps supposed to happen? I just hit 20 and looking at planning out the destinies for feats already looks painful- gonna have to bounce into Shiradi Champion as a melee fighter just to get perfect two-handed weapon

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Honestly what I'd like to see is more sever consolidation- grouping is fun but its a huge pain in the rear end to wait, especially since I work nights and can't play during peak hours

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

yeah lorem was carrying me but ran out of spell points and forgot the final boss removes all the rest shrines, so i died several dozen times to the point my primary weapon and half my armor broke

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Ort posted:

There’s a glitched spot by the gate that makes you invulnerable if you ever need a minute to just chill and recover.

yeah that's the only reason we didn't wipe, i'm still squishy enough that if i'm getting attacked by more than one mob and not hammering blood tribute on cooldown it's not looking good

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

im actually trying to figure what i want my next life to be; definitely human, not something like a quarterstaff rogue or a cleric (since i'm doing that next) and i'm probably gonna get my +2 in wisdom in prep for the cleric so something that likes wisdom but doesn't need it. thinking ranger, paladin, or monk

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Don't have falconry unfortunately (or any other enhancements other than vistani and harper), and not sure I wanna run two quarterstaff builds back to back. Monk archer sounds kinda fun but it seems like everyone's an elf for that

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Hey so I'm probably gonna do a bear druid for my second life, human to get the racial past life. I was considering something along these lines, with a bit of spellcasting thrown in, but that doesn't have enhancements listed. Strimtom's build guide in the OP has a multiclass druid that looks interesting, but it uses a razorclaw shifter- I'm not sure if that's needed, and if not what should I do with the 2-4 extra skill points

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

milkman dad posted:

Could consider this build that throws in barb and artificer for blood tribute and trapping:

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/514783-Mary-had-a-Little-Bear-A-2H-Natural-Fighting-Casting-Trapping-Druid-Build

Yeah that looks cool but I don't have artificer unfortunately

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Cool thanks, it looks like gnome is for blur and a shield SLA, and I think I might be able to fake the latter with UMD from human skill points? In any case it at least gives me enhancements too look at.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Lorem ipsum posted:

You can but you will need gear otherwise you won't get enough UMD until fairly late in heroics. Also, keep in mind this is a hardcore build so you can prob get away without shield and just die sometimes.

Okay yeah the followup was gonna be falchion vs khopesh and shield, but i'll proably just go 2h and see how it goes. Guess I'll also have to put together the new destinies once they're out.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah epics have been going a lot smoother for me this life than the first time I tried, and I have this nagging feeling that I tried playing arcane archer while forgetting to swap out my elemental arrows ability so I was using the un-upgraded version the whole time. I'm still pretty squishy as a rogue but I can at least hammer on blood tribute and the damage is respectable considering I'm using kinda mediocre gear

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah I picked it up from one of the old infinity engine games, and its been a rule in D&D for a while

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Ran all the night revels stuff for the XP, what should I blow the currency on?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

trying to figure what my third destiny is for staff rogue after shadowdancer and legendary dreadnaught (if any); also not really sure if i should go with extra damage or dodge on my shadowdancer epic strike

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Lorem ipsum posted:

Fury of the wild maybe? Grandmaster might work too, not sure. I don't remember if you need to be in the fury mantle to use quick/cutter but if not, that ability is super good.

It's an epic strike and I'm trying out the shadowdancer strike for now; although I do notice that if I'm in ravenloft gear I don't seem to get a bunch from the shadow mantle- only like 5% movespeed and going from 10/20 incoporeal/conceal to 25/25. Doesnt even give featherfall or turn me into a shadow. Maybe grabbing the fury mantle for healing?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

The wiki usually tells you and also should have solutions

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

yeah i'm really loving the epic changes, both to the destinies and to making mobs less spongy. how are level 30+ quests looking since i think those were less affected?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

almost level 27, think I'm gonna do gianthold and maybe the mines of tethyamar to clean up harper favor, but i'm only on like 1700 commendations and 9 tokens so i guess i'm gonna have to do some grinding at cap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Lorem ipsum posted:

I'd recommend saving tethyamar until you are level 30, that place blows. Once you hit 30, you get a ton more commendations (in the form of 2 acorn things) per quest completion. For farming tokens - i'd recc doing a epic normal devil assault and posting a lfm that says something like "token farming, piking is fine" and most people will pass you tokens at the end if you just let them join and afk. Just remind people that passing tokens is appreciated. You will prob make 5-6 tokens a run doing this. The other way is just to speed run lords of dust (or bargin of blood when that quest opens again)

Cool thanks, I'd forgotten about the acorns, and good tip on the mines. Seems like a lot of the quests that drop tokens are down for maintenance this patch unfortunately. And out of curiosity what do people get for passing tokens- are they just in it for the XP/favor?